View Full Version : 30 Minutes or Less

SoonerQueen
08-07-2011, 11:04 PM
We saw this movie last week at a sneak preview. I know it was probably made for people younger than me, but I actually enjoyed it. There were a few too many F words for my taste, but maybe that's how guys talk around their friends. The comedy was good and the actors played their parts well. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Larry OKC
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
it is still amazing to me how seemingly common such language is now even in public and in mixed company. Once was considered "locker room" talk is found just about everywhere now. Noticed even on basic cable, words that were regularly bleeped or dubbed with a substitute word 9often with great comic effect) are being let go untouched more and more. Words that I thought I would never hear (unless i was paying to view that specific program). Writers used to have to be creative. Not so much any more.

SoonerDave
08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
it is still amazing to me how seemingly common such language is now even in public and in mixed company. Once was considered "locker room" talk is found just about everywhere now. Noticed even on basic cable, words that were regularly bleeped or dubbed with a substitute word 9often with great comic effect) are being let go untouched more and more. Words that I thought I would never hear (unless i was paying to view that specific program). Writers used to have to be creative. Not so much any more.

This. :clap

You hear about movies that drop F bombs and other similar profanity, and then there's this passive assumption that, "well, everyone talks that way," when, in reality, that simply isn't true. The overwhelming majority of people I know don't talk that way. I've not heard my coworkers use that kind of language, either. In reality, its a byproduct of our increasingly lassez-faire society where anything goes, and anyone challenging it is ridiculed as being anal. I think its a horrendous cheapening of the language.

Richard at Remax
08-12-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd rather hear F bombs all day than to watch people be lazy and butcher the written language with the shortening of almost every word when they write or text. cuz = because, U = you, thx = thanks and on and on. I know some teachers and it has filtered into exam and research papers like it is normal. Now that's sad.

As for the movie I plan on seeing it today, Ive heard good things.

HewenttoJared
08-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Writers are just writing closer to reality. This is how people talk. Those words do not carry the weight for younger generations that they do for the 40+.

HewenttoJared
08-13-2011, 06:49 AM
This. :clap

You hear about movies that drop F bombs and other similar profanity, and then there's this passive assumption that, "well, everyone talks that way," when, in reality, that simply isn't true. The overwhelming majority of people I know don't talk that way. I've not heard my coworkers use that kind of language, either. In reality, its a byproduct of our increasingly lassez-faire society where anything goes, and anyone challenging it is ridiculed as being anal. I think its a horrendous cheapening of the language.

Where do you work?