08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
development
|category1=Deep Deuce
|category2=
|category3=Office Buildings
|category4=Current
|
|project=
|address=16 NE 2nd (http://goo.gl/maps/Cw1qK)
|status=complete
|owner=
|cost=$2 Million
|architect=
|start=
|finish=2013
|contractor=
|height=
|sq. feet=
|acerage=
|other=
|
|image=http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clarkwiki1.jpg
|

Information & Latest News
9/9/14: http://www.okctalk.com/content/43-calrk-building-deep-deuce-sells-3-75-million.html
Private residence on levels 2-3; 6,500 square feet of office/retail on level 1; basement is private garage and possibly an apartment later
11/22/13: Building permit issued for 2,414 sf dental office
Links
County Assessor Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R020024925)
Website (http://www.leaseokcdowntown.com/)
Gallery

betts
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Residential with room for retail/commercial and perhaps other living spaces for occupants. I was told there's a swimming pool up on the roof, but cannot say for sure. My husband met the owners but I never have. They've certainly taken their sweet time with it, but I think they're getting closer to completion.

Pete
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Here is a better look at that building. Sure looks like a pool going in on the south end of the roof:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/ddresidence8311.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2735/R020024925001sA.jpg

Pete
08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
This came up when discussing Level and thought it deserved it's own thread.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/16ne2nd.jpg

http://www.leaseokcdowntown.com/

From a 5/14/2008 article:

Apartment building's conversion advances
Daily Oklahoman

Work is proceeding, though slower than expected, on renovation of an old two-story apartment building at 16 NE 2 into a home for an Edmond couple.
Larry and Regina Waters had hoped to start construction last summer but were delayed by reconstruction of NE 2 and structural designs.

"The shop drawings for the steel are in process,” said Bill Gumerson, whose firm is providing both design and construction on the project.

"We anticipate the steel will be ordered in the next two to four weeks and then the real work begins.”

The $2 million renovation plans include the addition of a 1,500-square-foot penthouse on the roof with glass doors that when open will create a 20-foot-wide expanse onto the surrounding gardens and pool area.

dmoor82
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
^^Holy Crap, that's a house?Geez, they must have some serious scratch but I'm glad they chose a very nice design and remodel!

USG'60
08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Wonder what the asking price is for the little white house next to it.

Pete
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I believe the plan for this building is for the owners to occupy the penthouse and lease the other two floors for office, residential or retail. Each of the first two floors is about 6,000 square feet. The same people also own the lot directly to the west.

As for that little house on the east side (22 NE 2nd), it's a pay parking lot and has been owned by the same family since 1911.

dmoor82
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Well that make alot more sense now,I thought they were going to occupy the entire building.Family owned parking lot thats 100 years old,can you say Longevity!

Spartan
08-03-2011, 05:46 PM
No, but can say, "needs to go" lol.

The Waters have done superb work on the Clark Building. It was in pretty bad shape, and this just goes to show how these old ragged buildings can become showcase spaces if given proper attention.

Larry OKC
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I like the bottom and I like the top, but not so much together as one...but to each their own and it is their money not mine!

Pete
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
From today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark81611.jpg

Urban Pioneer
08-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Residential with room for retail/commercial and perhaps other living spaces for occupants. I was told there's a swimming pool up on the roof, but cannot say for sure. My husband met the owners but I never have. They've certainly taken their sweet time with it, but I think they're getting closer to completion.

It looks like a whopper of a pool. Probably fiberglass insert coming. Interestingly enough, a huge fiberglass pool went in at Randy Floyd's new project in SOSA on 7th street.

I'm not sure if pool building downtown is an economic indicator, but it feels like one. lol

OSUMom
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone know if they are ever going to tear down those old wood rail road tracks?

stlokc
08-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Here's what I think is the coolest thing about this project:

I've been watching all these building projects in Deep Deuce, Midtown and Downtown with excitement because of what it says about our community. But I have also, somewhere in my mind, thought that there was a finite number of developers with money willing to work in the area, and, as we see many of the same names time and again, I thought I had an idea of who all the players are. To see a project seemingly cone "put of nowhere" (I know it's not really out of nowhere but it wasn't on my radar screen) suggests to me that there exists in OKC a larger community of people with money and interest that don't always register in the public conciousness. Makes me hopeful that, even with all the good news we're watching, there may be others under the radar that can emerge and push development forward faster than I originally thought. Are there other, smaller, groups that may be preparing ideas that will surprise us all? It's certainly a possibility and not one I had really thought of. What's the next "surprising" project that may crop up?

stlokc
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
"cone put of nowhere?" Geez, I should really proofread before I post. I do know how to spell!

Architect2010
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey stl. At the bottom right-hand corner of your posts, there should be an "Edit Post" button. Simply click that, and it allows you to edit your reply, post-submission. I use it often, as I tend to write furiously, post, and then re-edit after reading. It's a terrible habit. ;P

stlokc
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Architect! I don't see the "edit" button but it could be because I'm using an Iphone. I'll look for it next time!

stlokc
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Now I see it. D'uh. I'll keep it in mind. Won't hijack this further!

Steve
08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Here's what I think is the coolest thing about this project:

I've been watching all these building projects in Deep Deuce, Midtown and Downtown with excitement because of what it says about our community. But I have also, somewhere in my mind, thought that there was a finite number of developers with money willing to work in the area, and, as we see many of the same names time and again, I thought I had an idea of who all the players are. To see a project seemingly cone "put of nowhere" (I know it's not really out of nowhere but it wasn't on my radar screen) suggests to me that there exists in OKC a larger community of people with money and interest that don't always register in the public conciousness. Makes me hopeful that, even with all the good news we're watching, there may be others under the radar that can emerge and push development forward faster than I originally thought. Are there other, smaller, groups that may be preparing ideas that will surprise us all? It's certainly a possibility and not one I had really thought of. What's the next "surprising" project that may crop up?

I love what you're saying.
And here's what is great about it - not only are you absolutely right, but there are some wonderful things being planned by people you've never heard of.

Pete
08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
The project at 18th and Classen is another example and there are plenty more.

This is an interesting topic that we should explore further, especially because it seems almost all the recent development is from a diverse group of locals.

Urbanized
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Anyone know if they are ever going to tear down those old wood rail road tracks?
Wow! Let's hope not! One of the few great links to our past left down there...

Are they harming someone by continuing to exist?

dcsooner
08-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Wow! Let's hope not! One of the few great links to our past left down there...

Are they harming someone by continuing to exist?

No they just look hideous and the parking lot too!

bombermwc
08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Well tracks like that can serve as a liability for the property owner. Some random schmo walks down the tracks and falls and gets hurt or even falls off the thing and the first thing they do is sue the property owner. Not to mention the fact it gives someone a clear pass to walk right across your yard and over your fence unabated.

I'm not sure that tracks really have historic value though. It would have been a freight line...it's not like history was made. OKC isn't Promintory, UT after all.

Urban Pioneer
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM

No we are not going to tear down those old wood tracks. Those tracks are in better shape than than they look by the way. I have had to walk up them many a time.

Doug Loudenback
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
From today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark81611.jpg
Wow! That's damned exciting. And, Steve, I love what you said ...

I love what you're saying.
And here's what is great about it - not only are you absolutely right, but there are some wonderful things being planned by people you've never heard of.

Urbanized
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
The tracks are still in use. They aren't going anywhere. Also, OKC's history is much more closely tied to railroads and freight than people here are giving it credit for being. Ask Steve if you doubt this. Also, the "property owner" is the railroad.

Pete
04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
From today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark41712.jpg

Pete
05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Clark Building in the Thunder spirit (from today):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark5112.jpg

Pete
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
You can now tell that the south end of that roof-top pool has an infinity edge and that all the railings along the perimeter will be glass. They are going to have amazing views.

Also, it looks like there will be a garage on the lowest level and a nice landscaped area to the west.

Those old RR tracks are super cool.

Urbanized
05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Agree about the old trestle. Would love to see some feature lighting done there.

Pete
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Looks there is water in the pool! Perhaps they've finally moved in?

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark8312.jpg

CaptDave
08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
This is one of the most interesting renovations in downtown OKC. I think the only thing I may have done differently (if it is finished) is a green roof if it were feasible. I would love a chance to see what was done on the interior.

Pete
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
It will be interesting to see what goes in on the first two floors.

Really a cool and unique project. I bet the views overlooking the infinity pool are amazing.

OKCisOK4me
08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
There's a little decrepit building on the next lot to the east of the Clark Building that I wish they would just tear it down. Is there some kind of historical significance to it?

Pete
08-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Funny you mentioned this because I was just about to explain that little house due east of the Clark building has been owned by the same family for decades, but I just double-checked the County Assessor site to find it has been SOLD for $325,000 to the same people that own the Clark!!

This is fantastic news as they are sure to develop it into something slick, especially since they are now living right next to it. I'll be we see a small condo project here.

Yet another big move forward for Deep Deuce. That area is soon going to be maxed out.

This property (22 NE 2nd) is .37 acres:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/searches/sketches/picfile/2735/R020024900001YA.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/clark8312b.jpg

LockeDown42
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Best news I've heard all day! :D

Rover
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I love the inertia of the area. Properties are now becoming way more valuable as developments than as vacant land or abandoned buildings. It really seems to be picking up steam in DD. Prosperity breeds prosperity.

Steve
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Pete, I'll be posting this on my blog and crediting it to you.

Urbanized
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I've always figured that building was directly connected to the historic rail yard operation, and always thought you could put a great little bar in there, maybe with some good outdoor dining. I'm sure whatever they do will be of a high finish quality, based on the Clark building work.

Spartan
08-03-2012, 08:17 PM
There's no way they're keeping that run-down wooden building.

Is there a thin sliver of property separating it from the Oklahoma Ave. plaza?

Urbanized
08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
There's no way they're keeping that run-down wooden building...
Are you talking about Pachinko Parlor? Or did you mean Shop Good? Or could it be Sara Sara Cupcake? Oh, wait...

Urbanized
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm not advocating retention of that building, just saying it should never be a foregone conclusion that a building should be demolished because it appears to be "run down" (that one is not especially run down, IMO) or because you can't immediately call to mind a good use for it. All it takes is someone with a particular vision and the resourcefulness to see a project through. If you doubt this or if my reference to 9th street escapes you, check out the still-not-updated Google Street View for 9th, probably circa 2006 or so (http://goo.gl/maps/KoOjp). I never, ever would have given those buildings an ice cube's chance in hell. Thankfully Steve Mason had a different vision for them, and a pretty incredible will to see the project through. We didn't even know what we had been missing.

That's not to say I wouldn't be glad to see that wood frame building on 2nd razed if it were immediately replaced by the right higher and better use.

Spartan
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with everything you said, urbanized, and you know where I fall on issues of historic preservation...

It's all about taking advantage of opportunities. Downtown could be great. The Maywood Park "half" of Deep Deuce is becoming great once again as it is developing to a fairly uniform scale of 3-4 story urban residential.

Teo9969
08-07-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm not advocating retention of that building, just saying it should never be a foregone conclusion that a building should be demolished because it appears to be "run down" (that one is not especially run down, IMO) or because you can't immediately call to mind a good use for it. All it takes is someone with a particular vision and the resourcefulness to see a project through. If you doubt this or if my reference to 9th street escapes you, check out the still-not-updated Google Street View for 9th, probably circa 2006 or so. I never, ever would have given those buildings an ice cube's chance in hell. Thankfully Steve Mason had a different vision for them, and a pretty incredible will to see the project through. We didn't even know what we had been missing.

That's not to say I wouldn't be glad to see that wood frame building on 2nd razed if it were immediately replaced by the right higher and better use.

While I agree with the premise, context probably precludes the structure from sticking around. It's not so much whether or not the structure is run down...it has more to do with the fact that it's a ranch-home style structure in the middle of fairly modern street-scape, and the only one of it's kind on the block.

Spartan
08-07-2012, 10:47 PM
The set-back is completely thrown off from everything else in Deep Deuce, including the few original structures that remain

dankrutka
09-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Abandoned apartment building in Oklahoma City turns into dream home | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/abandoned-apartment-building-in-oklahoma-city-turns-into-dream-home/article/3713355)

Bellaboo
09-27-2012, 06:56 AM
This man that owns the Clark building also bought the old house and parking next door......

wschnitt
09-27-2012, 08:09 AM
"He expects to eventually tear down the building, used for storage, as he repaves the parking lot."

-About the owner of the Clark Building, the lot and the one story building to the east plans for his new purchase.

Pete
09-27-2012, 08:32 AM
This is one of several photos from that NewsOk.com article...

This is the large area on the very top level:

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r620-a3ee0ffc29fa0d01eb5510d788bc27b9.jpg

LakeEffect
09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Meh. On a personal level, I wouldn't have chosen most of the finishes they chose. Alas, I can only dream of doing that myself, so more power to them for actually doing it.

lindsey
09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I LOVE the finishes as well....

Pete
09-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Wish they would rent that top space out for events!

Too bad their were not photos of the pool and the view from that area.

Steve
09-27-2012, 10:09 AM
There are photos of the pool and the view from the deck with the story.

Pete
09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
There are photos of the pool and the view from the deck with the story.

Aha! For some reason, they are only featured on the print story and not the on-line version.

Great story as always Steve. You've really been cranking them out the last couple of weeks, even more than your normal prolific pace.

UnclePete
09-27-2012, 11:03 AM
I used to work for the railroad that owned the bridge and we came across it two or three times a day. We never knew what the building's purpose was, but at night there was always a single light bulb burning in one of the rooms. The bottom floor was crammed full of antique automobiles (all old and all black). This would have been in the period of 1969 to 1980.

I've always figured that building was directly connected to the historic rail yard operation, and always thought you could put a great little bar in there, maybe with some good outdoor dining. I'm sure whatever they do will be of a high finish quality, based on the Clark building work.

Anonymous.
09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Amazing job they did.

What is more amazing is how they now own the other 2 properties adjacent. The unbuilt one with the $30/month parking is a gold mine. I cant believe they got it for $325k, what a steal. That property value is going to sky rocket with the solidifying of DeepDeuce. A restaraunt/bar/cafe type venue along with a resedential loft or something to lease above - would just cap off this area.

I am really jealous of you guys who live in this area, hopefully I can snag a place down here before it is all booked up!

Teo9969
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Amazing job they did.

What is more amazing is how they now own the other 2 properties adjacent. The unbuilt one with the $30/month parking is a gold mine. I cant believe they got it for $325k, what a steal. That property value is going to sky rocket with the solidifying of DeepDeuce. A restaraunt/bar/cafe type venue along with a resedential loft or something to lease above - would just cap off this area.

I am really jealous of you guys who live in this area, hopefully I can snag a place down here before it is all booked up!

They bought it for $350k, and even if they put $350k into it for renovations, it's already assessed at $836k and would likely sell over $1M. That property may well be worth $2M by 2025.

wschnitt
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
You only think they put in $350k?

Can we check the building permit amounts? I would be very curious. I bet way more.

betts
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
I believe they're talking about the empty lot costing $350,000. IIRC the house was going to cost over 3 million to renovate.

OKCisOK4me
09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
^^then I sure hope its worth more than two million by 2025...eeek!