View Full Version : Hobby Lobby HQ & Distribution Center

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pete
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Hobby Lobby has submitted plans for yet another huge warehouse, and at 1,906,000 square feet and a cost of $88 million, this will be their largest yet.

Labeled as the "Moore Tract" below, it would bring their total warehouse and office space to over 8,000,000 square feet in far west Oklahoma City. For perspective, the old GM plant is roughly half that size.

They are also very close to finishing their new corporate headquarters.

Hobby Lobby is now the largest private sector employer in Oklahoma City with over 4,000 employees. Their campus growth reflects their aggressive national expansion plans, with plans to add 70 new stores in 2014 alone, in addition to an existing 550 locations.

David Green -- billionaire CEO -- has stated that all distribution would be handled from Oklahoma City. With the latest construction plans the company will almost be out of expansion room. However, the State owns 246 undeveloped acres directly to the east.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hobby081914.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hlnew2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hlnew1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hlnew3.jpg

soonerguru
08-02-2011, 09:47 PM
That's some serious red dirt.

Pete
08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
For scale, look at the the hundreds of semi trucks in the first photo.

This complex now is about the same size as the old GM plant.

Funny how something this massive can exist with so little notice.

Spartan
08-02-2011, 10:02 PM
For scale, look at the the hundreds of semi trucks in the first photo.

This complex now is about the same size as the old GM plant.

Well, hopefully the $40 mil in new investment represents a renewed commitment, especially as the Green family remains enamored with North Texas.

Pete
08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
All of this has been built since 2001, so it seems they are pretty committed to OKC.

adaniel
08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Wow didn't realize that the arts and crafts business was going so strong. Good for them!

Spartan, why would you say that they are "enamored" with North Texas? I know Mr. Green was looking for a site down there for a bible museum but I think its since fizzled. Hobby Lobby gives a ton of money to local charities (albeit most of them have a religious bent). They aren't nearly as out there as Devon or CHK but thats their style. David Green pretty much bailed out ORU singlehandely.

Plus, have you seen David Green's house? He's not going anywhere if he has to leave that beast behind.

Thunder
08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
What was surprising is how Walmart doesn't really do well in this department against Hobby Lobby. lol

ljbab728
08-02-2011, 11:43 PM
All of this has been built since 2001, so it seems they are pretty committed to OKC.

I have dealings on a daily basis with Hobby Lobby and the Green Family (all wonderful people). The headquarters location and related facilities are going nowhere but here.

Larry OKC
08-03-2011, 01:01 AM
wow.

Bill Robertson
08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
They have become huge. About 4 years ago they replaced the building & grounds maintenance manager. I made the final 2 but came in second. I'm not sure at this point that if I would have wanted that much stress. I'm happy where I'm at.

bombermwc
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
You don't notice it because it's off the beaten path. Who drives out at 44th and Council? Not many people at all, which was probably part of the lure for that site....off the path = cheaper land...and boy do they need it. Hobby Lobby has much improved their offerings in the stores over the last 10 years for sure...they have managed to push from a local sort of novelty into a HUGE player nationally over really a rather short time (as far as corporation life goes....and i mean even before 2000). I've never met a Hobby Lobby employee that wasn't nice, which says something about their corporation. If you can make retail employees all happy, man you've done something right. I've known a couple HQ employees as well, and they seem to really like it out there too, so that's great!

It's truly one of the most under rated Oklahoma company success stories.

MadMonk
08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Speaking of their museum of the Bible, if you haven't checked out the "Passages" exhibit at the OKC Museum of Art, I'd recommend it. It's pretty interesting.
http://www.explorepassages.com/

metro
08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
That's more than 3.6 MILLION square feet of space!! Or, well more than double the square footage in the entire Devon Energy Center

I believe the Devon site is 1.1 million sq ft. So that'd make ir more than 3x the size.

Well, hopefully the $40 mil in new investment represents a renewed commitment, especially as the Green family remains enamored with North Texas.

Calling the pot black from someone who questions whether or not they want to live in OKC. You clearly don't know the Green family. I know them personally and they are committed to OKC and the faith based community.

I have dealings on a daily basis with Hobby Lobby and the Green Family (all wonderful people). The headquarters location and related facilities are going nowhere but here.

This

You don't notice it because it's off the beaten path. Who drives out at 44th and Council? Not many people at all, which was probably part of the lure for that site....off the path = cheaper land...and boy do they need it. Hobby Lobby has much improved their offerings in the stores over the last 10 years for sure...they have managed to push from a local sort of novelty into a HUGE player nationally over really a rather short time (as far as corporation life goes....and i mean even before 2000). I've never met a Hobby Lobby employee that wasn't nice, which says something about their corporation. If you can make retail employees all happy, man you've done something right. I've known a couple HQ employees as well, and they seem to really like it out there too, so that's great!

It's truly one of the most under rated Oklahoma company success stories.

Pete
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I believe the Devon site is 1.1 million sq ft. So that'd make ir more than 3x the size.

I meant to compare to the entire Devon complex, which will be about 1.8 million square feet.

metro
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Ok, thanks for clarifying, I thought the entire complex was 1.1 to 1.3

onthestrip
08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
No one notices Hobby Lobby much becuase they have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw them as a corporate sponser of a civic event? I cant think of one.

PennyQuilts
08-03-2011, 01:22 PM
They are right down the street from my house and HUGE. I love Hobby Lobby and it has only gotten better over the years. A lot of artists - not just crafters - rely on HL for their supplies, in large part. I wish HL's like these had been around when I was raising my kids. If you need it, chances are they have it.

metro
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
No one notices Hobby Lobby much becuase they have no corporate presence in OKC. When was the last time you saw them as a corporate sponser of a civic event? I cant think of one.

As stated several times, as a faith based organization they primarily give towards the faith based community and missions across the globe. They also sponsor some local events. Unlike other companies, they don't desire the need for donation based image.

Pete
08-03-2011, 02:14 PM
There was an article today in the Oklahoman that they donated a large ranch in California to Rick Warren's (Purpose-Driven Life author) church.

Larry OKC
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
There was an article today in the Oklahoman that they donated a large ranch in California to Rick Warren's (Purpose-Driven Life author) church.

heres the link...
http://newsok.com/hobby-lobby-donates-california-ranch-to-rick-warrens-church/article/3591163?custom_click=pod_headline_life

okyeah
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Not an event, but Hobby Lobby has made significant contributions to the City Rescue mission

Pete
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Even before this latest building, Hobby Lobby employed more than 2,500 in OKC.

That's on par with both Devon & CHK and they seem to be growing at the same rapid pace.

dmoor82
08-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I can see it now......The new Hobby Lobby Tower,it will be Orange and White and shaped like Semi-truck!

Pete
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Or, we could just get them to tilt those buildings on end and use elevators to get trucks up to the loading bays.

Each of the six buildings would be about 2,000 feet tall!

bombermwc
08-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Well most of the place is a distribution center, not an office complex...so comparing square footage is like apples and oranges.

But on the sponsorship front, you should also realize that most companies here do not sponsor. You see some big name ones do so, but for ever large company like that, you've got a dozen smaller ones that probably no one has hear of. Just because someone doesn't buy naming rights for an arena or build a monster tower, doesn't mean they don't have a presense in town. Some companies prefer to stay under the radar on their donations. My company used to contribute heavily to Big Brother Big Sisters and our previous owner actually opened a facility for troubled teens. If you didn't work here, you wouldn't have had any idea who we were/are...but it doesn't mean an impact wasn't being made somewhere.

onthestrip
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Well most of the place is a distribution center, not an office complex...so comparing square footage is like apples and oranges.

But on the sponsorship front, you should also realize that most companies here do not sponsor. You see some big name ones do so, but for ever large company like that, you've got a dozen smaller ones that probably no one has hear of. Just because someone doesn't buy naming rights for an arena or build a monster tower, doesn't mean they don't have a presense in town. Some companies prefer to stay under the radar on their donations. My company used to contribute heavily to Big Brother Big Sisters and our previous owner actually opened a facility for troubled teens. If you didn't work here, you wouldn't have had any idea who we were/are...but it doesn't mean an impact wasn't being made somewhere.

Doesnt have to be naming rights to an arena, Im just talking about being a sponser for something like the Red Tie Event or the Wayman Tisdale Award or Shakespeare in the Park....just something like that would be nice, seeing how they are one of the largest companies that are headquartered in OKC. Of course they are free to do as they please with their money, just would be nice to see them give a little more in their own backyard than donating land in Cali to some already super wealthy ministry.

rcjunkie
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Doesnt have to be naming rights to an arena, Im just talking about being a sponser for something like the Red Tie Event or the Wayman Tisdale Award or Shakespeare in the Park....just something like that would be nice, seeing how they are one of the largest companies that are headquartered in OKC. Of course they are free to do as they please with their money, just would be nice to see them give a little more in their own backyard than donating land in Cali to some already super wealthy ministry.

They do more than most of the companies you talk about combined, it's just that they don't do it for the publicity so it doesn't always make the news.

onthestrip
08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
They do more than most of the companies you talk about combined, it's just that they don't do it for the publicity so it doesn't always make the news.

What companies? I havent mentioned any. And I just said it doesnt have to be news worthy stuff like naming rights to buildings or advertising at Thunder games. Im talking about just being a sponser to civic and charity events that plenty of others sponser without making the news. Whether its a 5k, a fundraiser, a charity event or anything else like that, I never see them as a sponser.

proud2Bsooner
08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
strip, you have no idea what you are talking about. They are HUGE givers. Out of state and in-state. But they obviously don't give to the things you would like them to. Maybe they should consult with you first from now on.

BTW...do you know the progress that has been made at City Rescue in the last 15 years? Would you be happy if they called it the "Hobby Lobby City Rescue Mission"?

Really seems absurd, doesn't it. You should give up on this discussion.

Pete
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
If there are specific examples, name them and give specifics. For example, does anyone know how much they've given the rescue mission?

No need to get all hostile about this.

onthestrip
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
strip, you have no idea what you are talking about. They are HUGE givers. Out of state and in-state. But they obviously don't give to the things you would like them to. Maybe they should consult with you first from now on.

BTW...do you know the progress that has been made at City Rescue in the last 15 years? Would you be happy if they called it the "Hobby Lobby City Rescue Mission"?

Really seems absurd, doesn't it. You should give up on this discussion.

I certainly know what I am talking about and you certainly dont seem to read.
I have said that they are free to give to what they want (though I disagree with some of it). I have said they dont have to get naming rights to anything and gain publicity like your Hobby Lobby Rescue Mission example. I know they bailed out ORU and just donated land to a ministry in California, both of which happened to be pretty news worthy, and they give to the City Rescue, though no one has mentioned how much.

What I have said is that it would be nice to see them be more present in local civic and charity events. You know, maybe buy a few tables at a charity dinner or something like that. Thats all Im saying, that it would be nice if they did more of that but somehow everyone seems to think I am personally attacking the company and Green family.

If there are specific examples, name them and give specifics. For example, does anyone know how much they've given the rescue mission?

No need to get all hostile about this.

Exactly. Thank you Pete

MadMonk
08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Most of the civic and charity things are really done for advertising purposes (otherwise why tout the company name?), something they clearly do well without. They donate to causes that agree their particular business philosophy.

What sort of groups do you disagree with them supporting?

Larry OKC
08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
So far, Hobby Lobby has purchased 43 properties valued at $200 million, donating them to churches, para-church ministries and other charitable causes.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/our_company/considerations.cfm

Donations special considerations

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. would like to be able to donate to all of the wonderful communities, ministries and organizations in our area. However, due to the over ten thousand requests that we receive yearly, this is just not a possibility. Because of this, Hobby Lobby has decided to give a special 10% discount on merchandise sold to churches, schools and national charitable organizations when they purchase items with an organizational check or credit card. Please see your local store manager in regards to obtaining this discount.

Who does Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. donate to? Hobby Lobby has chosen to donate to and substantially support several charities and organizations that the family has selected, based on each charity's specific needs and mission. We believe that this specific support can provide a greater impact for good, as well as provide needed benefits to the communities that these charities are involved with.

We hope this helps in clarifying our donation policy and wish all of you a very blessed day. Thank you for your continued support and for visiting our website.
There is a link within the above text on their website to the specific organizations they support.

bluedogok
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
My mother grew up with David Green in Altus. In the first paragraph of his book he talks about the impact that retail had on his formative years and talks about the toy department lady at the TG&Y store in Altus, that was my aunt.

Popsy
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I just got back today from spending a week in Southern California. Last Saturday the Orange County Register had a large article about an Oklahoma company bidding $47 million for the Crystal Cathederal. The Oklahoma company was Hobby Lobby. If deemed the successful bidder they plan to lease it to an entity called King's College for a nominal amount. The college will be allowed to use it or lease it out at a much higher lease amount.

LovableGoober
08-10-2011, 05:07 AM
I just shop at Michaels

bombermwc
08-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Popsy, now that's weird.

Larry OKC
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
How is that weird?

bombermwc
08-11-2011, 07:27 AM
You don't think it's weird that a business is buying a church half a country away, only to lease it out for someone else to sublease it?

flintysooner
08-11-2011, 07:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44098828/ns/us_news-life/#.TkPb-2EhCSo

Larry OKC
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
BomberMWC: knowing what limited amount that I know about the Hobby Lobby folks, not really. Seems consistent with their stated beliefs and practices. For some other business, I might agree with you completely, but not in this instance.

rcjunkie
08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
You don't think it's weird that a business is buying a church half a country away, only to lease it out for someone else to sublease it?

Not at all, they are a family and faith based company and always donate and provide according to their faith.

Larry OKC
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe I need to reevaluate my position on this, RC and I are in agreement? LOL

rcjunkie
08-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Maybe I need to reevaluate my position on this, RC and I are in agreement? LOL

Thanks Larry, now you've ruined everyhting. LOL

plmccordj
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea that people feel that it is anyone's business if someone gives or does not give to anyone. As a Christian organization, they likely take the Bible at face value. If that is the case, then they probably feel similar to my beliefs when it comes to giving. The Bible tells people to give privately. In fact in Matthew 6:1 it says...

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

I question the motives of ANYONE that gives to others seeking personal attention. To me it goes against God's wishes. I understand people have different beliefs and I can respect that. I have noticed a open hostility from several posters toward people of faith and I sometimes think it clouds their view. It seems like to give to organizations of faith are irrelevant in their eyes and do not count. I am not here to bash on anyone but rather to shine a light on the possible motives behind why someone gives the way they do... Not that it is ANYONE's business.

Larry OKC
08-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Amen.

ljbab728
08-12-2011, 11:58 PM
For those who want a little better perspective about where this company came from and what they are about:

http://www.voicesofoklahoma.com/david_green.html

When looking for information about why they purchased the Crystal Cathedral, please listen to the section called Properties for Purchase which talks about similar past purchases and donations they have made.

dmoor82
08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Hobby Lobby to add One Million sq. feet of office space to it's OKC headquarters location!I think We already knew this but here is a Journal Record article about it.Anyone with access to the JR can you please post the entire article!http://journalrecord.com/2011/08/23/hobby-lobby-expanding-headquarters-real-estate/

Larry OKC
08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
1 million sf of office space? Awesome!

ljbab728
08-23-2011, 10:30 PM
1 million sf of office space? Awesome!

Please note that it says 1 million sf of warehouse and office space. Most of that will be warehouse. They have little use for that much office space.

Larry OKC
08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Duly noted. If most is warehouse, not quite as impressive but still growth. More power to them!

ljbab728
08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Duly noted. If most is warehouse, not quite as impressive but still growth. More power to them!

Agreed. If you look at most of their complex, it is large warehouses with small office areas attached.

dmoor82
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Please note that it says 1 million sf of warehouse and office space. Most of that will be warehouse. They have little use for that much office space.

Ooops!sorry for the confusion!

chuck johnson
08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Plans to expand everything but the Point-of-Sale system. They still use "sku #'s" and no scanning equipment. Most large retailers obsess over inventory controls. Do they plan to run that huge warehouse with a note pad and an abacus? I know they have a varied selection of items from varying vendor and one of a kind items imported from parts the globe but that's weird.

Popsy
08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Plans to expand everything but the Point-of-Sale system. They still use "sku #'s" and no scanning equipment. Most large retailers obsess over inventory controls. Do they plan to run that huge warehouse with a note pad and an abacus? I know they have a varied selection of items from varying vendor and one of a kind items imported from parts the globe but that's weird.

Mr. Green talks about why he does not use scanning equipment in an interview he did with Voices of Oklahoma. It is an extremely interesting and indepth interview which I was fascinated with even though it is somewhat lengthly. If interested you can find a link to the website in the "Nostalgia and Memories" section in this forum in a thread entitled Voices of Oklahoma.

Larry OKC
08-25-2011, 05:04 PM
from Thursday's Oklahoman:

The craft store giant is adding 860,000 square feet of warehouse space and 105,000 square feet of office space...The company is opening 30 new locations this year and plans to open 25-30 more next year.
That still sounds like a lot of office space. What would be a comparable building that we know?

SkyWestOKC
08-25-2011, 05:09 PM
None come off across the top of my head. But that would be basically like a 10 story building with 100 ft x 100 ft floorplates.

Larry OKC
08-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Take 57% of the average Wal-mart Supercenter (186,000 sf), and it comes pretty close. Certainly seems like a lot of ADDED office space!

ON EDIT:Not sure why I compared to a Wal-mart Supercenter...pretty well describes their own Hobby Lobby stores...so roughly equal to that in added office space...LOL

ljbab728
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Mr. Green talks about why he does not use scanning equipment in an interview he did with Voices of Oklahoma. It is an extremely interesting and indepth interview which I was fascinated with even though it is somewhat lengthly. If interested you can find a link to the website in the "Nostalgia and Memories" section in this forum in a thread entitled Voices of Oklahoma.

I also posted a link to that interview in my post number 47 in this thread.

bombermwc
08-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Well if you look at a lot of what they sell, you can't put a barcode on the thing....it's too small...LOL. But at the same time, Michael's figured out a way to do it so they can track inventory...so if HL is really concerned about accurate tracking, they should to. I would be they operate under a false pretense that they know what they have and would be grossly surprised if they went to accurate tracking methods.

One down side is that you can to stick the barcode on things that don't currently have them. So that's manual labor time....a cost you either have to absorb or pass on to the customer.