View Full Version : Prohibition Room (closed)

Pages : [1] 2 3

metro
06-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, my wife and I finally got to eat there last Thursday night. Keep in mind this was the day the wind was ridiculous. The ambiance/interior was fairly nice but not too stuffy. The bar had a few patrons, and there was some sort of corporate private party (7-8 people) eating in the lobby of the gold dome. The restaurant itself was fairly empty, I think ourselves and one other couple.

I thought pretty much everything on the menu sounded good, although it didn't seem to take on a theme really, it was rather random. Salads, sandwiches, hot dog, grilled cheese? Menu and drinks seemed a little high for the fare, but not too far off.

I ordered the Italian Beef Sandwich which is slow roaster roast beef, sport peppers and melted provolone on a baguette. It was pretty tasty, the bread was excellent. Portion size was fair to average. It came with one side which I choose the shoestring fries. They were excellent although portion was very small. My wife had the half roasted chicken which is a free range bird with sauteed wild mushrooms in a pan sauce. She enjoyed it pretty well, although it was a little overcooked and dry. The mushrooms had a little different flavor. Overall, our main course was good. Dessert: We ordered and split the bread pudding which is served with a whiskey carmel sauce. I was really looking forward to it and like me some bread pudding. Unfortunately I must say it was the worst bread pudding I've ever had in my life. It shouldn't be on the menu. The bread was wayyyy too dry and overcooked, the sauce was very sugar granular, and had a burnt flavor to it. I do not recommend it at all.

Location: 5 out of 5. You can't beat restoring an architectural landmark filled with multicultural history that was slated for demo to be a cookie cutter bank that'd be tore down in 20 years again otherwise.

Food/Taste: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Not much room for improvement on the food, both of our entrees were pretty good, although the wife's half chicken was pretty dry. My sandwich was great. Dessert,well the dessert needs to be left off the menu, it was that bad. I'd definitely recommend the sandwich and the chicken was pretty good as well. On the menu almost everything sounds tasty but lacks cohesion.

Quickness: 2.5 It was quite awhile before our food and dessert came out, in fact much longer than most places.

Service: Staff was very friendly, our waitress was Kelly. She and the bus staff were very attentive in giving refills, etc without being pushy. Only downside is I informed her (waitress), that our bread pudding was way overcooked and very dry. She didn't seem to offer condolences or anything. Other than that, she was great as was the bus boy. I'd give them 4 out of 5 stars because of the dessert incident.

Price: 3.5 out of 5 stars. Price/portion size or relevancy was a little high I thought. $15 bucks for a Muffaleta sandwich? $ almost 10 bucks for a hotdog? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the atmosphere and location, but it's not that swanky nothing fancy about a chicago dog or sandwich.

Ambiance: 4 out of 5. It was too bright for me, even with it cloudy/rainy outside. With the name "Prohibition Room" and given the theme, I'd like it to be darker and more mood lit. More underground feeling. Some nice velvet curtains on the windows would be nice.

I'll definitely go back, especially to try the $14+tax muffaleta. I'd like to see how authentic it is. I'd really like to see this place succeed and will try again after they hopefully get the kinks out. They are charging a $5 cover for their grand opening, which I thought was kind of weird. Other than that, I'd say the place is a good addition to the local restaurant scene.

tburn
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
dress code?

I'm sure it attracts a young hip crowd, as well as the affluent residents in the tower -- I'm curious if most of the patrons are dressed up or down?

Pete
06-18-2008, 08:03 PM
They have a website... Not much content but they do have their menu posted:

Prohibition Menu (http://www.prohibitionroom.com/menu.html)

metro
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Not much of a dress code per se, however as you mentioned, it is a more young hip crowd so tshirt and shorts may be out of place although I had a nice t-shirt and jeans on that night and didn't look or feel out of place. Just use common judgement and hygiene etiquette and you should fit in fine. I imagine they are busier on the weekends though and you may want to dress a little nicer.

kevinpate
06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
I suppose if they make the rounds of the LOOK OKC photogs then folks can get a glimmer of attire choices of those who visit before them

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-19-2008, 12:00 AM
I'll just wear my tuxedo t-shirt, that way I can fit in either way.

mwmcl
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
The menu looks . . . interesting.

citizenkane
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I had the muffuletta, which was just okay (the bread tasted like it was day old). You just can't beat the muffuletta sandwiches at Central Grocery in New Orleans.

MestaParkMan
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I had the muffuletta, which was just okay (the bread tasted like it was day old). You just can't beat the muffuletta sandwiches at Central Grocery in New Orleans.

I agree. Have you had the one at Jason's Deli yet?

citizenkane
07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
No. How is it?

tuck
07-08-2008, 12:11 PM

I agree, but I also don't think anyone is trying to match Central Grocery.

metro
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
So is Prohibition Room's muffaletta worth the $14? It was going to be the next thing I try when I eat there again.

tburn
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I was there for grand opening night.
extremely crowded and chaotic (to be expected)
we enojoyed the music and cocktails!

I like the looks of the place, and plan to try the Lobster Club sandwich on my next visit.

They offer 1/2 price appetizers for happy hour M-F 4-8

I don't like the looks of the patio umbrella's outside in primary colors.

mcbee04
07-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I went there last night for happy hour. There was a fantastic jazzy harpist playing. I've gone twice to see her now, really good.
They serve the Chicago Dog with shoestring fries for $3.50 from 4-8. I'm not normally a fan of hotdogs, but this was excellent. Paired with a Left Hand Milk Stout for $2.75 and I had a filling meal for 6 bucks.

joero
07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Metro,
Thank you for the insight and i couldn't agree more with the review. Luckily The restaurant.had only been open for one week at that point and actually feel ok about the feedback. To some of the other posts and to give everyone a little information about the Prohibition Room. The bar is going for a "polished casual" feel. Which means that if you feel like coming in wearing shorts and a t-shirt you can and get the same level of great service, food, and drink the Prohibition Room is striving for as well as enjoy the ambiance. If you would like to come in after work to enjoy our half off appetizers from 4-8 or for a night on the town feel free to get dressed up a bit and enjoy one of our many live jazz acts while enjoying a meal and a few beverages. Speaking of the beverages, the Prohibition room has i believe the largest selection of liquor available at a bar/restaurant in okc with a liquour list including 67 scotches that is 9-10 pages long. The term "Booze Bar" has been toyed with and the cocktails are modeled after classic prohibition era drinks with a few twists, and Prohibition Room uses fresh squeezed juices daily as well as a homemade pomegranite grenadine to finish off specific flavors. The food while across the board is created from classic dishes from the era to new twists that the okc native chef has brought back from training in other exclusive restaurants. Recently Prairie Thunder Bakery has begun baking our bread fresh daily for all our sandwiches and is a huge asset to the menu The Prohibition Room is also open 7 days a week until 2am and serves food until 1am every night for the late night munchie crowd. A sunday Jazz Brunch is offered as well with live music starting at noon. I believe the experience you will recieve here will be a little different than your normal go out to the bar to slam a few beers but what do i know. I know the Prohibition Room pours heavy and if you like booze it can't be beat.

metro
07-16-2008, 08:20 AM
joero,

thanks for the feedback. I assume you own/work at the restaurant? i'll have to come back and try the chicago dog during happy hour, it sounded good last time I was there. I'm still questioning the $14 sandwich (muffaleta). I'm not a drinker so the bar, etc. doesn't really impress me but hey that's just not my scene.

joero, care to comment on my remarks about the horrible experience I had with the bread pudding? I'm not trying to be rude, but it was so horrible, it shouldn't have been on the menu. the waitress was great but didn't seem to care our dessert was horrible. didn't know if you had anything to comment about that.

also, does anyone else find it hard to believe that they have more booze selection than McNellies? I mean McNellies has like 600 types of beer alone. I know they have tons of liquor too. Again I'm not a drinker so I could be totally wrong. Just some thoughts. This place will be a good stop on NBA nights. Hopefully they'll get limo service going.

metro
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I'll just wear my tuxedo t-shirt, that way I can fit in either way.

I plan on wearing my tie tshirt next time.

metro
07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree. Have you had the one at Jason's Deli yet?

I've had the muffaletta at Jason's Deli twice now, once this past weekend. All I can say is its not very good. The bread is dry and no taste. Too briny of an olive spread and it's not really a true muffaletta. I don't think I'll be ordering it again from Jason's Deli.

mecarr
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
600 different types of beer? That doesn't seem right...

joero,

also, does anyone else find it hard to believe that they have more booze selection than McNellies? I mean McNellies has like 600 types of beer alone. I know they have tons of liquor too. Again I'm not a drinker so I could be totally wrong. Just some thoughts. This place will be a good stop on NBA nights. Hopefully they'll get limo service going.

tuck
07-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I've had the muffaletta at Jason's Deli twice now, once this past weekend. All I can say is its not very good. The bread is dry and no taste. Too briny of an olive spread and it's not really a true muffaletta. I don't think I'll be ordering it again from Jason's Deli.

Metro, you need to have the muffaletta at La Baguette...best in town. Ask for extra olive tampenade.

GWB
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
600 different types of beer? That doesn't seem right...

Actually, it's 350 types of beer according to their website. You can download their beer guide to see what they have to offer on their website.

McNellies - Oklahoma City (http://www.mcnelliesokc.com/)

OKC's Biggest Selection of Beer
McNellie's 350 beers (60 on draught and 290 in bottles) is without doubt the greatest selection of beers in Oklahoma City. The selection includes a great variety of domestics, plus hard-to-find beers from importers like Shelton Brothers and Merchant du Vin and, of course, Guinness.

Richard at Remax
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I can vouch for the 350 beers. McNellies menu is overwhelming. Especially after a few Belgium Flights.

Martin
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
you need to have the muffaletta at la baguette
perhaps the la baguette on north may is better (i assume that's the one you go to), but i found la baguette's muffaletta to be underwhelming... but that was from the norman location.

will definitely have to try the prohibition room's version.

-M

tuck
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
North May La Baquette

Martin
07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
perhaps they do a much better job at north may location... the one on main in norman has their muffaletta pre-sliced, sitting in their refrigerator case... they offer to heat it up for you but i've never taken them up on that... perhaps that makes a difference, too. same deal on north may? just curious, 'cause if it is good i want to try it out!

-M

John
07-17-2008, 02:28 AM
also, does anyone else find it hard to believe that they have more booze selection than McNellies? I mean McNellies has like 600 types of beer alone.

Liquor selection is what he said.

Obviously, McNellie's has everyone beat on the beers.

metro
07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
yes, I know he said liquor, I also mentioned liquor but you left that part of my quote out. I also said I'm not a drinker and have no idea and could be wrong.

RSA
07-17-2008, 07:09 PM
joero,

thanks for the feedback. I assume you own/work at the restaurant? i'll have to come back and try the chicago dog during happy hour, it sounded good last time I was there. I'm still questioning the $14 sandwich (muffaleta). I'm not a drinker so the bar, etc. doesn't really impress me but hey that's just not my scene.

joero, care to comment on my remarks about the horrible experience I had with the bread pudding? I'm not trying to be rude, but it was so horrible, it shouldn't have been on the menu. the waitress was great but didn't seem to care our dessert was horrible. didn't know if you had anything to comment about that.

Metro,
I will comment on the bread pudding. When you say horrible, what do you mean? Do you not like bread pudding or was it under cooked, over cooked? Did you tell the server it was horrible? If I knew somebody thought my bread pudding was horrible, I would have taken care of the situation. It is my recipe in case you are wondering. To date, I have had only 3 complaints about the bread pudding out of the 109 sold to this day. Yeah, sometimes it might not cook properly. We usually catch those that don't meet our standard. I am going to taste tonight to make sure it is cooked properly too. In fact I will test the muffaleta too. Also, we do not microwave our bread pudding or anything else for that matter. It is cooked in an oven and the whiskey carmel sauce is made to order. Give me details.

When reffering to booze, that will usually mean spirits as in liquor. Not beer.

We have 23 various bourbons & Irish Whiskies
67 scotch's
15 Gins
11 Rums
19 Tequilas
31 vodkas
Absinthe
and lots various cordials and brandies.

We have more liquor than any bar in OKC not to mention the 2oz pour and superb cocktails. We are not a beer bar we are a wine bar, we are a booze and cocktail bar. And they are big! We have a good selection of beer, just not 300.

You do not have to dress up to come to Prohibition Room. I hope nobody has made any of you feel as though you should. We serve people with flip flops and ragged shorts and we serve people in expensive suits with cuff links. Nobody should feel under dressed. Come as you are.

Please let me know if you have any compaints or comments.

Oh, Joero is one of the partners

solitude
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Boy Pete, you weren't kidding when you said the website didn't have much in the way of content. You posted on June 18th that they only had their menu up. It's now July 17th, a month later, and they still have only their menu up. 'About Us' is still "Coming Soon" and even the hours are still "Coming Soon." No pictures, nothing about the ownership, chef, no map. I hope they take more pride in their new restaurant than they do their website. Sounds like a cool theme though, we'll have to give it a try.

RSA
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Boy Pete, you weren't kidding when you said the website didn't have much in the way of content. You posted on June 18th that they only had their menu up. It's now July 17th, a month later, and they still have only their menu up. 'About Us' is still "Coming Soon" and even the hours are still "Coming Soon." No pictures, nothing about the ownership, chef, no map. I hope they take more pride in their new restaurant than they do their website. Sounds like a cool theme though, we'll have to give it a try.

Funny you mention that. I need a Web-Designer. Any of you able to handle this? Our designer is either too busy or just does not care about our needs. Either way, I need a web person.

Check out:
Myspace (http://myspace.com/prohibitionroom) for now.

Martin
07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
rsa-
i do graphics/design and code on the side... pm me if you're interested.

-M

metro
07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Metro,
I will comment on the bread pudding. When you say horrible, what do you mean? Do you not like bread pudding or was it under cooked, over cooked? Did you tell the server it was horrible? If I knew somebody thought my bread pudding was horrible, I would have taken care of the situation. It is my recipe in case you are wondering. To date, I have had only 3 complaints about the bread pudding out of the 109 sold to this day. Yeah, sometimes it might not cook properly. We usually catch those that don't meet our standard. I am going to taste tonight to make sure it is cooked properly too. In fact I will test the muffaleta too. Also, we do not microwave our bread pudding or anything else for that matter. It is cooked in an oven and the whiskey carmel sauce is made to order. Give me details.

RSA, I encourage you to go back to page one and read my extensive review of the place. Several others seemed to agree with me that my review was spot on. If you have an interest in the restaurant, I'd say reading page 1 would be well worth your time. I talked about the bread pudding incident as well.

To briefly re-answer your question about the bread pudding. I do LOVE a good bread pudding, unfortunately this is the worst I've had by far. It was severely over cooked and very crusty and so hard you couldn't even cut parts of it with your fork or knife, it was like an overcooked crouton. The carmel brandy sauce was very grainy like sugar and way overcooked and burnt tasting. Yes, I did bring it to our waitresses attention and she didn't seem to care or offer condolences. She was an excellent waitress other than not caring or doing anything about the bread pudding after I brought it to her attention. I believe I posted her name on page 1 as well if you want to know who our waitperson was.

RSA
07-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Metro,
I am sorry you had a bad experience with the bread pudding and I would love to make it up to you.
I have been told by many people, patrons and friends our bread pudding is the best they have ever had. Our texture is a little different than most. Also, I will say again, we do not microwave our bread pudding. I believe microwaving will make it soggy. There should be a crust too. Though not burnt. I ate it last night night and it was AWESOME. As you know, in the begining of any restaurant, there are some bugs to work out. The kitchen was new to the menu. The servers are are trying to find their way around a new concept and so on. And, we are on a shoestring budget. We are not like some of the other restaurant groups around town with deep pockets. We mortgaged our houses and made huge sacrifices to get this done. So, I kind of take it personally when I read about something like this. I do not think it is fair when you post "Unfortunately I must say it was the worst bread pudding I've ever had in my life. It shouldn't be on the menu". Yes, I know you are entitled to your opinion. I just believe you should also let people be judge and try it themselves. I have addressed the fact that the server did not tell me about the issue and have made an effort to not let it happen again. I want everybody to leave happy and come back again to enjoy our unique food and cocktail menus. We are trying our hardest to bring something different to OKC with the 20's-40's inspired food and drink items.

Thank you for your feed back.
Sincerly,
Richard Sauve

metro
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
RSA,

Thanks for your concerns. I will try the place again (as intended) and ask for you when it comes dessert time. I do think my opinon was well entitled to, I wouldn't have made such a bold statement otherwise. I usually order the bread pudding at most places that carry it, so I think I have a good understanding for what "good" is. I realize and do not want "microwave" bread pudding necessarily. The bread pudding at Saturn Grill, Iron Starr, Cheevers and VZD's is usually pretty amazing. I will give yours another shot next time I'm there. I do like your concept though with the early 20th century inspired feel. I feel the menu lacks cohesion though although in all fairness you may have changed it since I last visited.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
I stopped by this evening for drinks and a snack with friends and had a wonderful time. Good drinks . . . good food . . . ran into several friends and made some new ones . . . fabulous music . . . fabulous music . . . fabulous music . . . ran into Irene Lam as I was leaving . . . she is a saint. Glad you spent your money on the bar and the kitchen and not the decor. The tables and chairs are good quality and comfortable . . . add more decoration, up grade the lighting, add some banquets etc. later. The place is off to a great start. It's a regular stop for me and will continue to be. Best wishes for much success. The gold dome rocks . . . welcome to the hood.

buckt
08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Had a party gathering at the Prohibition Room this week. Wait staff was so-so. The food, IMO, was so-so. The atmosphere was good, lively. Not sure if I would be a return customer....??

Anyone else given PRoom a try?

jstanthrnme
08-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I went there last night and I'm not overly impressed with it. I didn't eat, so I can't speak of the food, but the beer choices leave a lot to be desired. They have a good selection of premium liqours, but I like beer, and the choices they have are limited. They offer Old Style on tap, which is served in a mason jar for $2.50. A rip-off in my opinion. And the techno music didn't do anything for me either. I won't be suggesting it on future nights out.

RSA
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I went there last night and I'm not overly impressed with it. I didn't eat, so I can't speak of the food, but the beer choices leave a lot to be desired. They have a good selection of premium liqours, but I like beer, and the choices they have are limited. They offer Old Style on tap, which is served in a mason jar for $2.50. A rip-off in my opinion. And the techno music didn't do anything for me either. I won't be suggesting it on future nights out.

1 full pint of 6.0 beer for 2.50 is a rip off? Most places I have been sell 3.2 bottles for 2.75 and up. I am sorry our list of 30 beers did not have anything for you but our cooler space is limited. We did design our bar around a good liquor selection. Which we accomplished. McNellies has a huge beer selection. We have a huge liquor selection. 70 Scotch labels alone. Which beer were you looking for?

jstanthrnme
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Considering it comes in that goofy jar, and, well, it is Old Style, the beer thats a notch below PBR, and Shlitz. Frankly, it tastes horrible. And I should have mentioned it, but I am only regarding your draught selection. I do like the fact that coors and bud products aren't an option.

RSA
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Because we didn't offer coors and bud products we chose Old Style since it is a Chicago staple which goes along with the whole Prohibition feel . Heck, if we really went all out on the prohibition thing we would serve our liquor in tea cups. They are way to expensive though. We do have Shlitz in a can too.

kevinpate
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Not a big hops consumer myself, so I don't expect any ale to thrill.
I've probably missed the discussion elsewhere, but what is the most common evening attire level for the PR - shorts and t's, dockers/polos, business casual, professional work attire, a mix across the board?

I realize noon and 9 pm are likely different crowds, but I'm far likely to make visits on a weekend night than I am mid-day

OKCMallen
08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Considering it comes in that goofy jar, and, well, it is Old Style, the beer thats a notch below PBR, and Shlitz. Frankly, it tastes horrible. And I should have mentioned it, but I am only regarding your draught selection. I do like the fact that coors and bud products aren't an option.

Because you don't personally prefer a beer, you give the restaurant a negative review? Also, at that price, if you think that's a rip off, you do NOT get out much. You don't get Prohibition Prices at the Prohibition Room.

A real ripoff is how much the Ford Center and Brick charge for beer, but that's for another thread.

metro
08-18-2008, 11:29 AM
For those interested, there's already a thread going with reviews of the place:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/13095-prohibition-room.html?highlight=Prohibition+Room

Stinger
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I enjoyed the $2.50 Old Style. That same cup cost me 6.50 at Wrigley earlier this summer.

jstanthrnme
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Because you don't personally prefer a beer, you give the restaurant a negative review? Also, at that price, if you think that's a rip off, you do NOT get out much. You don't get Prohibition Prices at the Prohibition Room.

A real ripoff is how much the Ford Center and Brick charge for beer, but that's for another thread.

I merely gave the draught beer selection a negative review.
I didn't try the food, so I wouldn't go as far as saying its a terrible place. I was drinking and had never tried Old Style, and was struck that they served it in a small mason jar. After the 1, I moved on to other beers. So maybe "rip-off" was bad word choice. I just struggled to understand why the cheapest beer was served in a mason jar when all the others come in good glassware, and the portion seemed smaller. 10 or 12 ounces as opposed to the 16 oz traditional pint.

I can't argue that stadium beer or event beer is overpriced, everyone knows that.

I'd sugest they improve the "so-so" waitstaff and "so-so" food mentioned in the first post before everyone criticizes me for my opinion of their line-up of beers. That, to me, is the negative review.

Kandyegirl
08-23-2008, 08:56 PM

AMEN to Central Grocery! Their muffuletta is too yummy! *smile* Just another reason why we love New Orleans. We have been looking for a good muffuletta here at home. I don't expect it to be exactly like Central's sandwich, but close would be nice. The problem with most of the ones we've tried has been the olive spread &/or the bread. One place served it on french bread with no olives at all. They had some kind of tomato salad instead. Weird!

If anyone can recommend a good muffuletta place in the metro area, please drop me a message *smile*

XO ~
Kandye

One easy mouse click will feed the hungry....
http://www.hungersite.com

RSA
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I merely gave the draught beer selection a negative review.
I didn't try the food, so I wouldn't go as far as saying its a terrible place. I was drinking and had never tried Old Style, and was struck that they served it in a small mason jar. After the 1, I moved on to other beers. So maybe "rip-off" was bad word choice. I just struggled to understand why the cheapest beer was served in a mason jar when all the others come in good glassware, and the portion seemed smaller. 10 or 12 ounces as opposed to the 16 oz traditional pint.

I can't argue that stadium beer or event beer is overpriced, everyone knows that.

I'd sugest they improve the "so-so" waitstaff and "so-so" food mentioned in the first post before everyone criticizes me for my opinion of their line-up of beers. That, to me, is the negative review.

Jst to make sure everybody knows, we do not serve any of our draught beer in anything less than a pint. The mason jar is 16 ounces. I just measured to double check. Also we have about 77 scotches, 23 bourbons, 15 Gins, 33 Vodkas, 19 Tequilas, 10 Rums, 8 Irish Whiskys and 3 Ryes on our bar. We have something for everyone.

Frank
05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I took my wife here for Mother's Day. The food was OK at the Mother's Day Brunch they served. The selecton on the buffet was very resticted. The service was non existant. We were not asked about drinks. It took forever to get our bill, I thought I was going to have to tackel our waiter. I told them on the way out we would have spent more if we had not been ignored by the wait staff. You cannot order drinks if they donot ask.

fromdust
05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
i really like the atmosphere as do my friends, cool live jazz in the background. the cocktails are awesome, and the only place we know of that pours the drink strong! ive been recommending this place non stop to other people that want a good drink.

SL W
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I have been to the Prohibition Room and I'm not too excited about returning. Service - Aweful
Menu Price - Fair
Menu Selection - Couldn't figure out the theme
Appetizer - tried the bruschetta. Can't tell you much because we didn't receive what we ordered. I only liked one of the four selections brought to the table.
Entree - orderd the hot dog which was pretty good. Vegetable were tough.
Dessert - the Bread Pudding was actually very good.
Thank goodness the dinner ended on a good note with the bread pudding being so good. The rest of the food was okay but my overall experience was a one or maybe two star just because of the poor service received - or should I say, lack of.....
There were less than 20 customers in the restaurant and there were 3 servers. I never could figure out where my waitress was or what she was doing.

RSA
08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Seems like you and frank leave the Prohibition Room and go straight to okctalk and make one post about the restaurant and never to be heard from again. If I am wrong I do sincerely apologize.

I have been to the Prohibition Room and I'm not too excited about returning.
When were you in?
Service - Aweful
Who was your server? I would like to make sure this never happens again. Did you ask another server for some help? My guess is, you were in on a Friday or Saturday. We had 3 servers on those nights and 2 managers who were on the floor to help our guests with anything they need.

Menu Price - Fair
I try to make sure our items are priced accordingly.

Menu Selection - Couldn't figure out the theme
There is no theme. We pattered our menu after some popular menu items from the 30's and 40's. I guess that is the theme. Do you need a menu theme to dine out?

Appetizer - tried the bruschetta. Can't tell you much because we didn't receive what we ordered. I only liked one of the four selections brought to the table.
Why would you take something you didn't order? Did you tell your server or a manager? We strive very hard to make sure our guest leave happy. As most restaurant owners know, you can't make everybody happy all the time. But this would have been an easy fix.

Entree - orderd the hot dog which was pretty good. Vegetable were tough.
what vegetable? the hot dog only has some tomato slices on it as far as veggies are concerned.

Dessert - the Bread Pudding was actually very good.
Thank you for the compliment.

Thank goodness the dinner ended on a good note with the bread pudding being so good. The rest of the food was okay but my overall experience was a one or maybe two star just because of the poor service received - or should I say, lack of.....
There were less than 20 customers in the restaurant and there were 3 servers. I never could figure out where my waitress was or what she was doing.

Give me some feedback here. If you go to Best Buy and purchase something and it turns out bad, do you let somebody know or just take it home and write on forums about it?

I do not write this reply to be hateful. I have had bad service in restaurants before. I have also brought the matter to the attention of a manager on duty and the problems are usually fixed right there and then. Feedback on my establishment can only help to make the experience better in the long run.

metro
08-19-2009, 08:50 AM
SL W, I have to agree that your assessment of Prohibition Room is pretty spot on every time I've been. (see my review on page 1) or RSA's reply to me on this page. I usually won't speak out if it's a minor problem or such, but the bread pudding in my case was so bad and the service was so lacking, that I DID mention it to my waitress and nothing was done. I agree that it doesn't really have a "theme" as far as the food/menu goes. I really hope this place makes it, but I'm still hoping to see more out of it and hoping the restaurant side of things finds it's identity. I LOVE the location of this restaurant and hope they can work with the building owner, Irene Lam for more outdoor seating.

OKCMallen
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Why does a menu have to have a "theme"? I don't understand this complaint at all.

metro
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
To have cohesion and consistency with quality.

RSA
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
SL W, I have to agree that your assessment of Prohibition Room is pretty spot on every time I've been. (see my review on page 1) or RSA's reply to me on this page. I usually won't speak out if it's a minor problem or such, but the bread pudding in my case was so bad and the service was so lacking, that I DID mention it to my waitress and nothing was done. I agree that it doesn't really have a "theme" as far as the food/menu goes. I really hope this place makes it, but I'm still hoping to see more out of it and hoping the restaurant side of things finds it's identity. I LOVE the location of this restaurant and hope they can work with the building owner, Irene Lam for more outdoor seating.

I do want to offer you and apology on the bread pudding. The Chef had changed the recipe, omitted some essentials and replaced them with ginger and some other nonsense. That Chef/Partner is no longer with us and the recipe has been restored to the original. That Chef managed to run our kitchen into the ground. We almost had to close our doors because of the losses. We fortunatly recovered.

In our defense, your review was over a year ago and roughly 2 weeks after we opened. Since then we have made major changes in the kitchen and service staff. We also have a full time manager on board. If you have never been waited on by Rory, Melissa, Katie or our newest server Lindsay, then I think you should try again. We have also managed to win The Oklahoma Gazette's Best Restaurant Under The Radar 2009

I can't make people like our offerings all I can ask is, give it a try or a retry.

As to Irene Lam. I do not want to comment.

OKCMallen
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
To have cohesion and consistency with quality.

Nice buzz words...which mean nothing. Quality is independent of a "theme." Consistency in prep/quality is independent of a theme. If I can make a kickass pad thai and also a black pepper linguini in the same kitchen on the same menu, who the hell cares?

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. RSA- I'm very happy to hear you avoided closure. I enjoy your joint and will make a renewed effort to patronize more often.

RSA
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Anyway, sorry to threadjack. RSA- I'm very happy to hear you avoided closure. I enjoy your joint and will make a renewed effort to patronize more often.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your well wishes.

easternobserver
11-04-2009, 08:01 PM
We went to the Prohibition Room tonight without being really sure what to expect. Wow...we had a great night. Food was great, atmosphere was great, drinks were great, service was great. Will be making it onto our list for a return visit soon.

Bunty
11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I recently went to the Prohibition Room for a beer and some cheese and crackers. I didn't know which one to order so I asked the waitress to recommend one. It was some Oklahoma beer. It was good.

OKCMallen
11-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Thank you very much! I appreciate your well wishes.

Been back a couple of times recently...the girlfriend LOVE the Prohibition Room Tea...and now that we know it's served in pitchers, well, we LOVE going!