View Full Version : Hvac

TStheThird
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Looking to install a new higher efficient system. Does anyone have recommendations regarding specific brands to use/avoid? Which companies in the OKC area would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

SoonerDave
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd make sure you either research or find someone (other than a retailer) who can analyze your home and determine proper size unit. Most retailers sell only a narrow range of systems that are readily available even if it might be too big/small for a particular home.

I suggest this because I know of someone who built a home, and an engineering analysis was done on the home to determine the proper tonnage unit. At the time the home was built, the builder and HVAC guy insisted it was too big, but that unit lasted close to 30 years with barely more than regular maintenance. When that unit finally did die, the trusty salesman insisted the requested size was too large, sold a (much) smaller unit, and now the system cannot keep up with these summer temperatures. Of course, what the seller recommended just happened to be one of the same base units they sell to everyone else. Grrrr..

The point is to get someone *not* involved with HVAC sales to assess your home and make a size recommendation.

ou48A
07-15-2011, 07:00 AM
A traditional AC unit even when it’s in great working order can only over come about 30 degrees in Temp difference even if it’s oversized.
With our near 110 temps’ this can become an issue.

I installed a geothermal (retrofit) Tranquility 27 by Climate Master system in my home this past spring. I have had no difficulty keeping my home at very confortable temps. 71 to 73……. This Climate Master unit was manufactured in its SW OKC plant.
Our highest OG&E bill so far has been $125 and that’s with 7 bad windows that we will soon have replaced.

Geothermal is more expensive up front but there are tax breaks and most electric utilities offer cash rebates.
As energy prices keep going up this should help us resale this house while saving money.

Geo and foam insulation IMHO is the only way to go with new construction.

Doing due diligence is always wise.