View Full Version : Birrierra Diaz

soonerguru
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Birrierria Diaz is the name of the charming restaurant, open seven days a week, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The space is very charming inside and out and is in the little Campus Corner area across from SNU (NW 39th and College).

The owners came to OKC from LA and originate from the Aguascalientes region of Central Mexico.

Their specialty de la casa is a kind of braised meat known as birria, hence the name of the eatery.

They offer some very good Mexican tacos (the pastor has been my fav so far), as well as other authentic Central Mexican dishes.

Their homemade chips and salsas and handmade tortillas are to die for. Their desayuno (breakfast) is also muy bueno.

The atmosphere is very quaint, clean and charming and the family who runs this restaurant are extremely kind people.

Please check this place out! It is definitely not the typical Nortena Mexican or Okie-Mex you're used to.

I have already been there at least four times. It offers cooked to order food with super fresh ingredients and outstanding service.

Pete
07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Here's another write-up from the Oklahoman:

http://blog.newsok.com/fooddude/2011/06/29/birria-my-heart-in-bethany/

kevinpate
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Sounds yummy. A bit off my normal pathways, but hey, I'll note it for a future adventure since I foresee some Yukon and El Reno trips in my future. Speaking of which, if anyone has really favorite local to Yukon or El Reno places, please share, especially if there is a 66 connection.

Double Edge
07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Great! There are in my hood and I'll give them a try.

bandnerd
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
This sounds like a place I need to go to.

eataroundokc.com
07-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Just tried this place on Friday and really enjoyed it. Their specialty, the Birria, is excellent. Sheep or beef. I had the sheep. It was great. Slow-cooked, tender meat in a smooth, spicy red sauce. It comes with a ton of condiments and home made corn tortillas. Their chips and salsa are very good too. The small bowl of the Birria is $5 with all that I've just mentioned above included. It was filling and very good. Most everything I had here had some heat to it so anyone who doesn't like or can't eat spicy things might have a hard time here. But otherwise, it's a treat.

soonerguru
07-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Just tried this place on Friday and really enjoyed it. Their specialty, the Birria, is excellent. Sheep or beef. I had the sheep. It was great. Slow-cooked, tender meat in a smooth, spicy red sauce. It comes with a ton of condiments and home made corn tortillas. Their chips and salsa are very good too. The small bowl of the Birria is $5 with all that I've just mentioned above included. It was filling and very good. Most everything I had here had some heat to it so anyone who doesn't like or can't eat spicy things might have a hard time here. But otherwise, it's a treat.

It's actually lamb, not sheep. Otherwise, nice review!

eataroundokc.com
07-17-2011, 03:55 PM

I would have called it lamb, but it's called sheep on their menu, which I found interesting, so I went with what they are calling it.

eataroundokc.com
07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Here's a pic of the menu listing. May be the only place I've ever seen "sheep" listed on a menu.

http://f.cl.ly/items/3P3D1E1J42151X2S0D1p/Image%202011-07-17%20at%205.01.46%20PM.png

ctchandler
07-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Lamb is just young sheep.
C. T.

pickles
07-17-2011, 10:07 PM
C. T.

lol

RadicalModerate
07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
C. T.

And mutton is old sheep.
But I supposed that even mutton could be made palatable with the right blend of spices and cooking method.

I would wager that "carne de cabra" would be an authentic dish.
And don't scoff: I've had cabra and it isn't bad at all. It's far better than mutton.

I definitely plan on trying out this restaurant. Thanks for the tip.

kelly73099
07-18-2011, 09:24 AM
The beef birria was amazing. I took home leftovers from the medium size. My boyfriend had enchiladas and they were just ok - he'll order the birria next time.

We had two meals + leftovers and five beers for under $30 - I'm sold!!

RadicalModerate
07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks, Kelly!: The place just moved up about five slots on my "To Try List" . . .

Related Trivia (c/o Post 1): "The owners came to OKC from LA and originate from the Aguascalientes region of Central Mexico."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguascalientes

I thought the name, "Aguascalientes", seemed familiar . . .
In English, it would be "Hot Springs".

(Plus a little bit of research indicated that "cabra" is a perfectly acceptable, time honored, ingredient of "birria") . . .

ctchandler
07-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I have had goat (cabra) several times and the only preparation I didn't like was probably not prepared correctly. I enjoy grease but it was a little too greasy. I have eaten a lot of different lamb dishes in England and Ireland, but I don't think I have had mutton. Heck, one of the worst cuts of beef, the brisket, is pretty good when prepared properly, so why not mutton?
C. T.

And mutton is old sheep.
But I supposed that even mutton could be made palatable with the right blend of spices and cooking method.

I would wager that "carne de cabra" would be an authentic dish.
And don't scoff: I've had cabra and it isn't bad at all. It's far better than mutton.

I definitely plan on trying out this restaurant. Thanks for the tip.

soonerguru
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I'll have to disagree on the enchiladas. I had the authentic Mexican cheese enchilada with Queso Fresco and salsa roja and found it delish. If you're expecting a Tex-Mex cheese enchilada you probably won't care for it.

kelly73099
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I'll have to disagree with your disagreement :smile: The fact that I can't even remember what kind he had says a lot (it wasn't cheese though). To each their own though - someone else may dislike the birria that I loved. The place is still terrific and worth trying several things on the menu.

RadicalModerate
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
I see that this establishment just got a nice little write-up in The Gazette.
(Maybe not as nice as in here, but nice nonetheless...)

tburn
08-08-2011, 09:34 AM
We tried this place on Saturday, based on reviews here.
LOVED it!
Husband had the Sheep Birrieria, I had the Posole Verde. We were both happy and impressed with our dish. Their meat is nice and lean, quite spicy. My posole included roasted pork, a seasoned broth soup/stew with hominy, lettuce, avocado, radish and several bowls of condiments for us to add in as desired.
Very friendly and attentive service, the place was crowded at 11:30.
Very economical too. I look forward to returning to try everything on the menu eventually! Small menu, but everything made fresh to order.
Muy Bueno!

Roadhawg
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
From all these reviews I'm going to give this place a try... Thanks :)

soonerguru
08-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds yummy. A bit off my normal pathways, but hey, I'll note it for a future adventure since I foresee some Yukon and El Reno trips in my future. Speaking of which, if anyone has really favorite local to Yukon or El Reno places, please share, especially if there is a 66 connection.

While in El Reno, please eat at Johnny's Onion Burgers. It is the original onion burger place in El Reno, and in my opinion it is the best (although Sid's is also quite good).

Johnny's is just off Route 66 in downtown El Reno.

Roadhawg
08-18-2011, 07:18 AM
While in El Reno, please eat at Johnny's Onion Burgers. It is the original onion burger place in El Reno, and in my opinion it is the best (although Sid's is also quite good).

Johnny's is just off Route 66 in downtown El Reno.

I'll have to try that too... I get to El Reno now and then

RadicalModerate
08-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Just in case you can't--for whatever reason--make it by this exceptional new restaurant, here is something you can make at home (if you can make it to the grocery store) that might approximate the deliciousness of the birria that can be found there. Of course, you have to do the prep, cooking and cleanup, so there is a tradeoff. Tip yourself accordingly. =)

This one--a cousin of Chili and another of my favorites, Puerco Verde- started out as an excerpt from the Weight Watchers Crockpot Cookbook, "Slow Good." My wife picked up a copy of this little, softbound, book a few years ago. Now it is out of print. Guess what: Even eBay and Amazon have it listed for about $80.00!! The book described it as a “brothy, hearty, stew” and noted, "can also be made with chicken."

The trick to getting this to come out right is to cook the pork "low and slow" and then add the other ingredients much later in the cooking process. As with my chili, I start with large chunks of pork, let them simmer for about 40 min. then cut them into smaller, bite-sized pieces. If you start out with the pieces too small, they often seem to disappear during the cooking process. Here's a summary of the way I did it the other day (that produced excellent results, by the way):

Pork Posole ("6 Servings")
1-1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder (trimmed of excess fat)
1 t. salt (m.o.l. / to taste)
1 t. coarse ground black pepper (m.o.l. / to taste)
1 t. lemon pepper
1 T. olive oil
2 cups (MOL) reduced sodium chicken broth (or beef stock—preferred)
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (to 4) chipotles en adobo minced (To taste: Pretty hot. Last time I used 3 of them)
1 T. chili powder
1 T. ground New Mexico chiles
2 t. dried oregano (Mexican oregano if available)
2 t. ground cumin
3-4 tomatillos, quartered
3-4 large spoonfuls Herdez Salsa Verde
1 can chopped Hatch green chiles
2 large tomatoes, diced (Or "fire-roasted" large-diced canned tomatoes)
1 (15 ox.) can yellow (or white) hominy rinsed and drained (I prefer yellow)
(Garnishes / Sides)
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce (I don't mess with this)
6 radishes, chopped (I can't eat radishes or cucumbers)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley, or green onions)
Lime wedges . . . Sour cream . . . Grated cheese . . . Etc…..

Season (salt, pepper, lemon pepper) and sear large chunks of pork in oil and move them to large pot.
Deglaze the skillet with whatever you have on hand. Add beef stock (or broth). Stir-in two spoonfuls of the adobo sauce from the chipotles, chili powder, cumin, oregano and ground New Mexico chiles. Pour over pork in pot. If necessary, add enough broth or stock to cover pork pieces at least halfway.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about forty minutes.
After about forty minutes, remove pork from pot, cut into smaller pieces and return them to pot.
Add the chipotles, onion, and garlic. Mix in and simmer for about thirty to forty minutes.
If the pork pieces still seem too large, cut them down a little in the pot.
(If you can do this with a wooden spoon, the pork is approaching desired tenderness.)
Add the ("fire-roasted") tomatoes, chopped green chiles, tomatillos and (golden) hominy.
Simmer another thirty-plus minutes, uncovered.. Allow to cool slightly, and then serve in bowls with garnishe(s) of choice and warm tortillas or corn bread.

Please feel free to substitute lamb or goat but adjust the cooking times accordingly.
This is what can happen when the word "posole" pops in out of nowhere. =)

kevinpate
08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I will be back that way fairly soon, so thanks soonerguru