View Full Version : Dirt being pushed around On Independence and SW 53rd

Firefly831
06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I live in the area and the is a lot of dirt and things being moved on Independence just north of 59th street near a tiny playground and down the street from a grade school. Ive only drove by it at night so its hard to see anything but I can definitely tell dirt's moving and my husband's mom mentioned something about metal being delivered.
Does anyone have any insight in whats going on there?

Firefly831
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Noone knows anything:(

Larry OKC
07-01-2011, 12:18 AM
That or those that do haven't noticed the thread yet?

Pete
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
On the west side of Independence near SW 53rd is Syl Goldman Park and the City is doing some improvements there involving landscaping and probably playground equipment as well. It was one of five parks included in a $700,000 construction allotment.

Also, Arthur Elementary at SW 51st and Independence is getting a 25,000 square foot addition as part of MAPS for Kids.

windowphobe
07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I used to live on that block back in the late 1970s. Nice to see it's getting some attention now, since it certainly wasn't back then.

Firefly831
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
My child used to go to Arthur until we pulled her out year before last to do Oklahoma Virtual School. The date to redo the school seems to have been pushed back several times. The city seems to consider it one of the newer school since part of it was rebuilt after a fire but it is currently WAY to small to accommodate the number of students there. The last year my child went there they were at 200 students over capacity.

Having a nicer park there would be convenient but we never actually see people at the one now so I'm not sure why they'd spend so much redoing it.

ljbab728
07-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Having a nicer park there would be convenient but we never actually see people at the one now so I'm not sure why they'd spend so much redoing it.

Probably because they think it would encourage more people to use it.

Firefly831
07-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Well so far we have some walls. or i guess better said a stone/cement fence.

White Peacock
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
This is right down the street from me. They put a nice looking brick facade over the soundwall construction, and there's barbed wire/razor wire on the inside of the wall. Driving by it along Independence and peering through the gate, all I could see was a dumpster type thing and a porto-potty. My guess is that it's something oil/gas related. I was hoping it would be something in the way of retail development.

I remember several years ago there was talk of putting a multiplex cinema on that massive lot, but the locals raised a stink about it, so it was scrapped. I grew up in that neighborhood, and that giant FOR LEASE sign along 59th has been there for as long as I can remember. Although I'm moving out of that area soon, I do hope they can revitalize it, especially the Almonte shopping center. I miss being able to see a movie at Almonte Cinema and grab a chili dog at the Coney Island next door to it. Anybody remember the Coney Island there? Best chili dogs ever.

Firefly831
09-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I havent drove that way leaving the neighborhood in a while. Is it still just walls. Husband mentioned something about poles of some sort?

jn1780
09-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks like a substation with the lighting rods and everything. Don't know what else it could be..

jn1780
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Yep, it's a substation. Nothing to get excited about unfortunately.