View Full Version : Park Harvey Apartments

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

saxplaya
06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
200 N. Harvey (http://goo.gl/maps/NwlDM)
owner=Dick Tanenbaum
cost=$16,474,000 renovations
finish=Spring 2008
height=17 stories
sq. feet=169,874
164 apartments

http://www.okctalk.com/images/wikiphotos/parkharvey1.jpg
Information & Latest News
Enter latest news here.
Tenants

Park Harvey Athletic Club
Gaijin Sushi

Links
County Assessor Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R010015272)
Park Harvey website (http://www.theparkharvey.com/)
Gallery

shawnw
06-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Looking to move downtown and this property intrigues me. Does anyone on here have any experience living here? If so, what are your opinions about the location, property manager, price, etc?

I don't know much about the Park Harvey itself, but live at The Classen (4 years now), which has the same ownership, and Becky, the property manager at Park Harvey, was here at The Classen for years before transferring, and she's the best.

dankrutka
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Park Harvey is right in the middle of downtown. Right next to the nice downtown library. When I looked at the apartments they ranged from around $700-1000 or so. They are nice, but nothing crazy. Downtown gets dead at night, but it is close to lots to do. Park Harvey Sushi is on the bottom floor and is awesome! They also have an athletic club. I've never lived there, but that's what I know. I hope that helped... What are you looking for? Maybe I could recommend other options since I just went through the apartment search a year ago?

kevinpate
06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
There's also a Subway right close to the north, but I don't know what hours it keeps, if any, in the evenings.

JayhawkTransplant
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I lived downtown, but not at Park Harvey. When I was moving to OKC, I looked at the Park Harvey Apartments twice. You cannot beat the location. Ultimately, what made me choose not to live there was the fact that there are no balconies and the windows do not open. Call me crunchy, but I just can't imagine living without being able to open a window.

However, that building is just plain cool. Fairly spacious apartments, even at the lowest price level, and a comfortable layout. The lowest price level's views are non-existent, though...the cheapest apartments are on the east side of the building, and your view is literally of an office building window less than 5 feet away from your own window.

That may not be the most helpful review, since I didn't actually live there, but I get awfully excited when I hear from people looking to move downtown!

saxplaya
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
The one issue I have with PH is the fact that there is no attached or private parking. I (or my fiancee) don't feel comfortable walking to/from the parking garage at night.

Are there any other options downtown with private or very safe parking areas? (Deep Deuce is on my radar)

UnFrSaKn
06-29-2011, 01:32 AM
For those who aren't sure, here's the building that they are talking about.

StreetView (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=116+E+Sheridan+oklahoma+city&hl=en&ll=35.46892,-97.517984&spn=0.001863,0.00316&client=firefox-a&gl=us&sqi=2&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.46892,-97.517984&panoid=3JvuqTOrVOTt9fyUEvUF1w&cbp=12,65.93,,0,-47.29)

Here's some photos from 1958, shortly after it was built. Virtually unchanged on the outside since that year.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Old%20Oklahoma%20City/Park%20Harvey/fidelity05s.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Old%20Oklahoma%20City/Park%20Harvey/parkharvey1958.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Old%20Oklahoma%20City/Park%20Harvey/parkharvey1958-2.jpg

...the cheapest apartments are on the east side of the building, and your view is literally of an office building window less than 5 feet away from your own window.

This (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=116+E+Sheridan+oklahoma+city&hl=en&ll=35.468825,-97.517626&spn=0.001863,0.00316&client=firefox-a&gl=us&sqi=2&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.468819,-97.517494&panoid=I9jZ9FZB5dQb5lmeR7kbpg&cbp=12,1.48,,0,-55.59)

If you really like looking at Leadership Square South.

bombermwc
06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Well if you're on that side, you'll be able to keep your cooling costs down pretty low. LOL.

dankrutka
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Deep Deuce are fun apartments, but they are poorly managed. I know a lot of people that were unhappy with getting things fixed and such. A decent and really cheap place in Midtown are the Claremont Apartments. I lived there and loved it. The Sieber is more expensive, but very nice. Hadden Hall is nice I hear... A lot of these options are a mile north of downtown...

saxplaya
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info KT!

Anyone have any experience at Regency Tower? The reviews online are mixed and I can't decide if it really is a good place to live or not.

dmoor82
06-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info KT!

Anyone have any experience at Regency Tower? The reviews online are mixed and I can't decide if it really is a good place to live or not.

My buddy has an Awesome 1bdrm apt at the Regency with a balcony facing the skyline and he also has garaged private parking and all utilities paid for like $800/month!Nice place with all the renovations going on you might be able to get a discounted price before the renovations are done!

yessir69
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Park Harvey is WAY too noisy with the Devon Tower construction. I know several that have moved out. Also, the windows don't open, which is a deal breaker for me. I lived in Regency a year ago and loved it. A real mixed crowd. Think lower eastside highrise.

dankrutka
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm really surprised with the positive comments about Regency. When I was looking for a place I looked there and it was by far the dirtiest and worst place. Maybe they've cleaned up, but when I was there I felt like I was transported into a '70s slum. Everything was out of date and smelly... Again, maybe it has changed.

Also just check out Midtown Renaissance's website. They have several other renovated places...

saxplaya
06-30-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm really surprised with the positive comments about Regency. When I was looking for a place I looked there and it was by far the dirtiest and worst place. Maybe they've cleaned up, but when I was there I felt like I was transported into a '70s slum. Everything was out of date and smelly... Again, maybe it has changed.

How long ago were you looking at Regency? Most of the online reviews are positive...but I'm somewhat skeptical of those websites.

dankrutka
06-30-2011, 12:36 AM
It was a year ago. Can't hurt to check them out, right? Again, good luck. I went through the same thing last year. Wanted to live downtown, but didn't have any idea. I absolutely love it in this area.

BBatesokc
06-30-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the info KT!

I lived there for awhile, but it was during the OKC Bombing (before and after). It was just 'okay' prior to the bombing, but after it forced them to do some renovations. My unit was like new. That said, the decor was nothing special at all, could have been any apartment anywhere in town - low end appliances, laminate countertops, etc. But I had a downtown view in a 2-bedroom near the top and that made up for everything. The weird thing I really hated (don't know if its still this way) was the apartment doors had like a 2-3 inch gap at the bottom. They said it was fire code. You could literally get on the floor and look into someone's apartment - which a few people were caught doing.

I hear they've really cleaned up the pool, fitness area and laundry area (no washer/dryer in the units). Again, its been a long time since I was there, but if I was single and looking I'd at least check it out. Gotta be the best views in downtown for the price.

JayhawkTransplant
06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I wrote about this in the Regency Towers thread, but I also felt they were a bit...dirty and outdated when I looked at them. However, I'd be very interested in looking at them now that they are renovating.

I lived at Legacy at Arts Quarter. It has no cool history, but I really loved living there. The garage is located on the interior of the 'compound,' so you and your fiancee might feel more comfortable with that. I'd recommend putting it on your list of places to go tour.

Have you lived in a downtown area before? I probably err on the side of being risky, but I am a female and would walk to and from Bricktown from Legacy virtually every weekend during nice weather, usually alone. I'll be honest--a few times I even made my trek back home barefoot :) . I never felt unsafe. I'm not saying you have to make yourself feel comfortable crawling home from the bar at 2AM, but I think you should reconsider your position about safety at Park Harvey. Especially if you have never lived in a downtown area before, you might be surprised at how QUIET and comfortable things are downtown after hours.

UnFrSakN, thank you for those photos! How cool!

saxplaya
06-30-2011, 09:06 PM
I toured Regency today and found that it was pretty nice. The clubhouse and pool cabana renovations are almost complete. The hallways and exterior were the only things that I thought were outdated. The model unit I looked at was fairly spacious and seemed modern enough. Also, the building has underground reserved parking and is almost near capacity (I take one of two things from that -- either everyone loves it and doesn't want to leave or maybe everyone is about to leave at the end of the summer?).

Legacy at Arts Quarter is on my list and I'm going to try to look at it this weekend, it's a little bit pricey but I will definitely check it out.

I've never lived in a downtown area and I don't think I have any security issues but the separate parking garage for living downtown could be an issue in the winter months with the cold, wind, snow, ice, etc... may not be very fun to deal with.

Another area I've been looking at is some of the historical buildings in Midtown that have been renovated near St. Anthony's. http://midtownr.com/View.aspx?type=res is the website.

JayhawkTransplant
07-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Legacy will give you a sizeable discount if you negotiate with them. Probably most of these places will...

I am jealous! I miss living downtown very much.

soonerguru
07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
The one issue I have with PH is the fact that there is no attached or private parking. I (or my fiancee) don't feel comfortable walking to/from the parking garage at night.

Are there any other options downtown with private or very safe parking areas? (Deep Deuce is on my radar)

Downtown is safe.

soonerguru
07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I lived at the Regency for years and it was outstanding.

Pete
06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Walking around downtown yesterday, I was immediately struck by how lousy this building looks.

I know they can't really touch the facade, which puts them at a disadvantage right away, but there is a hodge-podge of tacky signs and faded awnings that are well below what should be an acceptable standard and really stand out due to the surrounding properties: Devon, Oklahoma Tower, Leadership Squaure and the Library.

Tannenbaum needs to clean this up and do a better job here.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/parkharvey61312.jpg

Architect2010
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Hey Pete, I understand they cannot alter the facade due to the building being on the National Historic Register? However, is it possible that they at least replace the windows and those brown window covers with new ones? The facade just looks so old and dirty.

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Going only by the pic above but why would that building be on the National Historic Register and not be altered? Seems rather unremarkable on the surface (but so was the former India Temple building).

Just the facts
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey Pete, I understand they cannot alter the facade due to the building being on the National Historic Register? However, is it possible that they at least replace the windows and those brown window covers with new ones? The facade just looks so old and dirty.

My understanding is that being on the National Historic Register doesn't prevent them from changing the facade. If they used historic tax credits in the remodel then they can't modify the historic characteristics for 5 years. I think that 5 years window recently expired.

Kalbert
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Back when I had my first full-time post-graduation grown-up job in OKC I somewhat haphazardly moved into the Park Harvey (it was ~$200 cheaper then). I was satisfied with my time there, but I wasn't romantically attached to the building. After having lived in big cities like Boston and DC, I moved back to OKC for a job and started looking around for a place to live, but this time with experience as a renter and apartment hunter. I wanted a place like what I found in the larger cities I have lived in, a pay just one check a month, secured building, fast and reliable maintenance, well maintained type place. I wanted something downtownish near where I work and socialize. I wanted something affordable but was willing to pay more for a nicer setting. Low and behold, after extensive research (there were interactive spreadsheets) I ended up back at the Park Harvey.

In terms of niceness v. price it's the best deal. The other complexes downtown either have similar or only slightly less when you add utilities rent but are way less nice, e.g. The Regency and Deep Deuce, or are super expensive but not much nicer, e.g. The Legacy. A Slightly nicer slightly more expensive alternative is The Montgomery, owned by the same people, but it's really awkwardly placed downtown. PH is on the tram route 30 min max walking distance to everything fun and 10 min driving time max. How much you pay in rent is prorated based on your view. You look smack dab at the side of leadership square? You pay $200 less than my gorgeous western view for the same apartment. $200 is a lot.

The building is totally secure. The surrounding area feels slightly sketchy . . . until you realize that the downtown police officer parking is across the street and all the guys you see at 2:30 am are cops, in addition to the 24 hour a day security office for Leadership Square that is ground level and looks out on the little grassy area next to PH. After a Thunder game when I got home from a party and was walking to the building, two drunk guys leaving the game started harassing me (I'm a tiny 26 yo woman), a man in plain clothes jogged over showed his badge and asked the drunks to leave, and the security guard from LS stuck his head out too. The building is covered in security cameras.

Have I mentioned I love paying just one check a month? Rent, utilities, and parking all in one. Having lived in big cities, I don't mind having to park around the corner from my building. My car is totally Tornado safe,unlike at other complexes *cough cough Lincoln cough* and it actually takes me less time to get to my unit door from my car in OKC than from my assigned spot in the attached underground garage in DC. No attached parking is really NBD.

Since the new management came on in April 2012, all maintenance issues have been resolved permanently in under 36 hours, and my air filters get changed quarterly. The employees are all at least polite, some are even really nice and friendly (and really, they only need to be polite and efficient.) The higher up employees and property manager actually live in the building. I don't trust any building where the people who run it don't even live there.The staff is just great. One couple on my floor kept smoking despite the rules (both cigarettes and pot). First, the staff put up a letter on the door hook of every tenant on the floor politely reminding everyone that smoking was not allowed and was accompanied by fines and forfeiting your security deposit, then when the smokers started up again a month later, the smack came down and they were fined. I really like the attitude. They didn't single anyone out at first, but made their position clear and showed they had listened to tenant complaints. They gave a warning. Then, when the smokers kept stinking up the floor, the management followed through and made the problem stop. I think that's a great example of their attitude. They are flexible and forgiving, but not to a fault.

The Athletic Club is overrated, but the downtown YMCA is just down the street, really nice, has free yoga classes, and is cheaper. I jog there, work out, jog back. Perfect. The sushi restaurant is slightly over priced, but reliable and a great place to meet people or get food if you're feeling too lazy to cook.

Lastly, I totally admit, the outside of the building is ugly. Like, really ugly. That said, the apartments are nice. They aren't super luxurious, but they are super-well maintained, thoroughly cleaned and painted between tenants, and definitely cute. They have preserved all the nice interior luxury touches from when it was an Oil business office building with Deco Elevators, marble and wood paneling in the halls, a cool old mail chute, and more. Some of the tenants deface the stuff, the new management has been fixing all of that as soon as it happens and slamming the fines down on the vandals until they stop or move-out.

Over all, the Park Harvey is not luxury living, nor is it a rat-hole. It's a nice building that I really like living in. It's one of the few apartment buildings I've found that are like Big City options yet still manages to be affordable. I'd unreservedly recommend it to anyone who's budget it fits (remember to calculate renter's insurance, utilities, parking fees, W/D costs, etc when apartment shopping). If it had a balcony or roof access, it'd be perfect. Oh, and the studio unit water heaters are a little small. You can't run the dishwasher and simultaneously have a hot shower lasting longer than 10 minutes. That's the building's biggest flaw, which really, doesn't that say everything?

dankrutka
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I was looking for the exact same thing a 2 years ago, and I ended up choosing the Claremont at 12th and Walker. I really enjoyed it there and it was really cheap. Recently they started raising their prices so that it's not such a great deal.

OKC lacks quality and quantity in big city living options for rent. Park Harvey is alright (I love the sushi place!), and LEVEL is a nice addition. The building desperatley needs to be modernized, inside and out. Hopefully, the options keep improving. I'm moving into a far superior big city experience in Wichita (250 Douglas) than OKC offers. Hopefully more options come around soon because I think the demand is there.

Pete
09-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Planet Sub was just issued a building permit for 2,000 square feet in ground floor of Park Harvey.

They have another location in Edmond: Planet Sub - Better 'Cuz We're Baked - Planet Sub (http://www.planetsub.com/)

sroberts24
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Best Subs in the City!!!!!

Does that mean something happened to Park Harvey Sushi? Or is this another location?

Pete
09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Believe this is the space just to the east of the sushi restaurant.

Richard at Remax
09-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Great place. Had lunch there yesterday.

BoulderSooner
09-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Believe this is the space just to the east of the sushi restaurant.

yep space used to be insurance spot

BBatesokc
09-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Was that the old Chick-Fil-A way back when?

SharkSandwich
09-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Was that the old Chick-Fil-A way back when?

Yes. It was also a men's clothing store/haberdashery for a brief time. I don't know why that Chick-Fil-A closed, other than needing a serious remodel. It always seemed busy at lunch.

metro
09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes. It was also a men's clothing store/haberdashery for a brief time. I don't know why that Chick-Fil-A closed, other than needing a serious remodel. It always seemed busy at lunch.

They were forced out. Hopefully with the booming success of CFA they will return downtown.

Glad a Planet Sub is headed DT.

Mr. Cotter
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Platet Sub will be a good fit. If I had the capital, I would love to drop a Which Wich franchise downtown.

Praedura
09-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Looking for tenants... they have a craigslist posting up.

http://images.craigslist.org/00w0w_3lyikMPw2vG_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00M0M_2iTjkDbyR3o_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00404_bcJfZzUqgYS_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00X0X_2lIXt8ceXBn_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01515_ftLjAi1eJc4_600x450.jpg

Source: Move Up to Downtown at The Park Harvey! (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/4075527477.html)

Pete
09-19-2013, 10:13 AM
They will be painting the entire outside of this building, replacing all the ground-level doors, windows and storefronts and replacing all the fabric awnings with metal ones.

This is long over due and I hope it will greatly enhance the building's appearance, especially at street level.

Praedura
09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
^ Nice. The sprucing up of downtown continues!

HangryHippo
09-19-2013, 10:57 AM
They will be painting the entire outside of this building, replacing all the ground-level doors, windows and storefronts and replacing all the fabric awnings with metal ones.

This is long over due and I hope it will greatly enhance the building's appearance, especially at street level.

What color are they painting it?

Pete
09-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Don't know about the color but almost anything would be better than what it is now, even if it's the same colors just new.

AP
09-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Has anyone ever been seen the inside of the apartments? From the pics on their website, I definitely don't think they are worth the price.

LakeEffect
09-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Has anyone ever been seen the inside of the apartments? From the pics on their website, I definitely don't think they are worth the price.

They need help with staging, and the counter tops look pretty atrocious.

Just the facts
09-19-2013, 11:58 AM

At some point you start paying for location as much as you do for the living space itself (and in some cities you pay about 99% for the location). With 50+ restaurants within walking distance I am surprised every unit has anything that even resembles a modern kitchen. I could get by with a mini-fridge and a hot plate.

on edit - and a microwave (have to have popcorn).

warreng88
09-19-2013, 12:09 PM
At some point you start paying for location as much as you do for the living space itself (and in some cities you pay about 99% for the location). With 50+ restaurants within walking distance I am surprised every unit has anything that even resembles a modern kitchen. I could get by with a mini-fridge and a hot plate.

Agreed. My wife new several new associates with McAfee and Taft who lived in these apartments because they were either there or at the office in Leadership Square next door. M&T joked that they should just build a walkway from one from of the Park Harvey Apts to the offices in the building next door so they wouldn't even have to go outside to go to work.

Praedura
09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Don't know about the color but almost anything would be better than what it is now, even if it's the same colors just new.

Bright green?

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/p4z5ljntblew9hx/park_harvey_green.jpg

:wink:

LakeEffect
09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Bright green?

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/p4z5ljntblew9hx/park_harvey_green.jpg

:wink:

I was hoping pink.

Martin
09-19-2013, 12:29 PM
nah... people would confuse it with 50penn. -M

Praedura
09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I was hoping pink.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/ukap5xnb2wjh1iv/park_harvey_pink.jpg

:)

Just the facts
09-19-2013, 12:35 PM
To be honest - the green didn't look bad. Downtown could use some daytime color.

HangryHippo
09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
nah... people would confuse it with 50penn. -M

That's actually a terrifying thought. The green they used is hideous.

AP
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

on edit - and a microwave (have to have popcorn).

My comment is pointing out that the quality you get for the same price in Deep Deuce and Midtown is greater. Both of those locations are closer to restaurants than Park Harvey.

I get that you pay more for location. I live downtown. I'm not arguing that.

Mr. Cotter
09-19-2013, 02:41 PM
There is downtown, and then there is in the middle of downtown. Park Harvey is steps away from many high paying jobs, and that's apparently more important than proximity to restaurants to enough people for an increased rate. I agree it's not anywhere close to as nice as the new units in Midtown or Deep Deuce. Once the streetcar is put in, and living in Midtown, Bricktown and DD is almost just as convenient to get work in the CBD, it will be interesting to see if Park Harvey steps up the finishes or drops their prices. Even as is, I wouldn't pay what they're asking for what it looks like now.

Praedura
09-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Yellow?

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/kyejzox2xdyund9/park_harvey_yellow.jpg

Red?

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/n1mxp998qjf6lrd/park_harvey_red.jpg

KayneMo
09-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I like the red!

Just the facts
09-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Yellow isn't bad.

Teo9969
09-19-2013, 04:12 PM
I vote for polychromatic....

kevinpate
09-19-2013, 11:18 PM
If I were to ever strive for an Ok Co. centric client base, I would definitely consider living at PH. Convenience wouldn't even begin to describe the location. However, if I lived there, it would be one of the world's best kept secrets.

HOT ROD
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Red

Praedura
09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I vote for polychromatic....

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/rlw9bcn4pj1byyv/park_harvey_poly.jpg