View Full Version : in-n-out to NW Expressway rumor unfounded

Pages : [1] 2

Jesseda
06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
on the bring in-n-out burger to okc facebook page, people are saying a coming soon in-n-out burger sign went up on n.w expressway around macarther, does anyone know about this?

OKCDrummer77
06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
From the same FB page:

Sent an email to In-N-Out Burger today and got a call back from their corporate marketing department. They advised me that now that they have established themselves in the Dalls/Ft. Worth area they will be looking to expand to additional states in the area. OKLAHOMA being one of the states they are looking to come to next!

Pete
06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I haven't seen any building permits and I track this stuff pretty closely.

Jesseda
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
i have asked some of the people who say they see the sign to take a pic for proof, i hope its true.

jmarkross
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
A good simple burger--done like the olden days...good fresh french fries...simple menu and a fast drive through. What more could anyone ask for?

Barry Luxton
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Here's the link to the FB page where this is all going down: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-In-N-Out-Burger-to-Oklahoma-City-/125696830797836

i have asked some of the people who say they see the sign to take a pic for proof, i hope its true.

Mr. Alarcon, I presume? :Smiley181

Jesseda
06-22-2011, 08:13 AM
lol, yes you are correct

onthestrip
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I wouldnt hold my breath...

traemac
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
i drive expressway every day there are no signs for it

Jesseda
06-22-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks traemac, for helping solve the mystery. I e-mailed in-n-out this morning and waiting for them to respond, i will post what they tell me..

metro
06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I doubt it's true, but hope it is. The only place I see it feasible is where they just tore down the old Charcoal Oven.

Pete
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
That Charcoal Oven site is not nearly big enough... Only a .25 acres.

In-n-Outs need big parking lots because they are always packed.

bandnerd
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I've not seen a sign and I'm in that area all the time.

OKCDrummer77
06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I just drove through there specifically to look for a sign and didn't see one. Crap. Now I have to apologize to my Facebook friends for getting their hopes up.

Jim Kyle
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Could it be at the triangular plot where Wilshire and the Expressway meet, just west of the bridge? When I drove by there today it was obvious that the whole thing was being levelled off and filled in. No sign up, though.

metro
06-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Could it be at the triangular plot where Wilshire and the Expressway meet, just west of the bridge? When I drove by there today it was obvious that the whole thing was being levelled off and filled in. No sign up, though.

no, that's an On Cue

Jesseda
06-22-2011, 09:46 PM
got a e-mail back from them.. kinda seems hush hush. i asked them if in-n-out is coming to okc area ....

Dear Jesse

Thank you for your e-mail. It's always nice to hear from our customers, and we appreciate your interest.

As plans for new locations are always subject to change, we are unable to confirm any site as a future In-N-Out BurgerŪ until it is under construction.

Snowman
06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Given how close the new distribution center built last year, it seems they will come eventually with more than one location
http://eater.com/uploads/innout-expansion-small.jpg

SoonerQueen
06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
We drove by the old Charcoal Over location and didn't see any signs either. I also mentioned to some people that In-N-Out was coming here, so I have some soon to be disappointed people to contact. OKC is on the rise and it might not be long before we get one of our own. I might try to go to one in Dallas this week-end.

ctchandler
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
My source says it's a done deal, the Chevrolet place on N. W. Expressway and May will be an In-Out Burger location. I don't mind looking like a fool but write it down. Feel free to beat me up now and later, but when it happens, be gentle to me.
C. T.

Barry Luxton
06-23-2011, 05:24 PM
My source says it's a done deal, the Chevrolet place on N. W. Expressway and May will be an In-Out Burger location. I don't mind looking like a fool but write it down. Feel free to beat me up now and later, but when it happens, be gentle to me.
C. T.

The triumvirate of In-N-Out Burger, Dave & Busters, and Target would make NW Expressway and May the best intersection west of the mighty Mississip'.

MikeOKC
06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I thought Jack In The Box was a done deal at NWX and May? Not that I would mind In-N-Out replacing it.

Snowman
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
The triumvirate of In-N-Out Burger, Dave & Busters, and Target would make NW Expressway and May the best intersection west of the mighty Mississip'.

To be the best they need to add the 4th cloverloop

Larry OKC
06-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Ok now, is it going to be Jack in the Box, Whataburger (manager down the street on May confirmed) or In and Out????

semisimple
06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I suspect other Texas cities like Houston and Austin--literally overrun with CA transplants--will be getting In-N-Out locations before OKC does. Given that nothing has been announced for those cities, it might be a while before OKC gets one...

Snowman
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Ok now, is it going to be Jack in the Box, Whataburger (manager down the street on May confirmed) or In and Out????

I don't think I have seen a Whataburger that looks like it was built past the 70's around town anywhere.

adaniel
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
I suspect other Texas cities like Houston and Austin--literally overrun with CA transplants--will be getting In-N-Out locations before OKC does. Given that nothing has been announced for those cities, it might be a while before OKC gets one...

Agreed. This needs to be put to rest like the Ikea and Disney (!!) is coming to OKC rumors.

My home county (Collin) is now referred to as "Orange County East". Not surprisingly the former Californians are keep the two locations in Allen and Frisco packed. 1 hour waits are not uncommon. Given the lukewarm welcome that native Texans I've come across have given it I doubt the viability of one landing in OKC.

MikeOKC
06-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Agreed. This needs to be put to rest like the Ikea and Disney (!!) is coming to OKC rumors.

My home county (Collin) is now referred to as "Orange County East". Not surprisingly the former Californians are keep the two locations in Allen and Frisco packed. 1 hour waits are not uncommon. Given the lukewarm welcome that native Texans I've come across have given it I doubt the viability of one landing in OKC.

There is an interview out there somewhere with an In-N-Out spokesperson who said with the new distribution and supply center in DFW, the branching out would begin. There are now several locations already open and more under construction in the DFW metroplex. There is no reason why the openings have to be in any kind of order with the distribution center in a position to supply north and south simultaneously. Austin, Houston, doesn't preclude Oklahoma City. Their newish vision of expansion is bigger than the city by city kind of expansion, as long as they're within a days drive from the distribution center (that has been the criteria given). So there's no reason to rule out Oklahoma City. In fact, to the contrary. They can build in more than one market at a time since they have the same-day drive center to supply them.

dmoor82
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
There will be an in-n-out in Oklahoma eventually!There is alot of Californian transplants from Boeing http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-to-get-550-jobs-from-aircraft-maker-boeing/article/3481699 and http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2010-10-12-oklahoma12_CV_N.htm not a Texas size influx but enough to justify a few in-n-out's,atleast in the State!OKC is a constant top5 fattest city in America,We know hamburgers and we know how to eat many of them!

Jesseda
06-24-2011, 05:35 AM
they have a in-n-out in barstow,ca and in yuma,az, i think one can do okay in okc lol

jmarkross
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
From a friend of mine in Dallas, regarding the new ones opening there:

You would not believe the traffic jams they have created! They have policemen/guards directing traffic. The one on Central/Southwestern is a really bad location and difficult to get in-and-out! I can't imagine how long it would take to get a burger from there. I'll wait till the 'new' wears off. I've eaten many in Calif. so I don't feel the need to rush on over! You would have to pitch a tent at an insane hour to get one at this point. In fact, some did pitch tents in the new Frisco one last month. Seems silly to me when What-A-Burger is just as good.

Pete
06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
For the NW Expressway and May site, the only two building permits I've seen are for Dave & Busters and Jack in the Box.

The original site plan showed D&B's, a hotel, a sit-down restaurant and a fast food restaurant.

Barry Luxton
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
You would have to pitch a tent at an insane hour to get one at this point. In fact, some did pitch tents in the new Frisco one last month.

I'm pitching a tent right now!

Jesseda
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
someone posted (but now no where to be seenon this board) that Whataburger just as good as in n out!!!!!!!!!!!!! those are fighting words.....BLASPHEMY!!!! I say good day to you SR. .....Good day to you!!!!!

jmarkross
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
someone posted (but now no where to be seenon this board) that Whataburger just as good as in n out!!!!!!!!!!!!! those are fighting words.....BLASPHEMY!!!! I say good day to you SR. .....Good day to you!!!!!

I like them all. Not too picky an eater. Each has some good points. Only a few are really awful. Just MHO...

EBAH
06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, Texas will get many before we get one, just makes more sense for them. Also, and I admit I usually don't like people saying stuff like this, but really, In-n-Out is EXTREMELY over rated. It's just a reasonably high quality fast food burger. We have a pretty huge wealth of quality burger establishments I think we'll all live fine without one for a few more years. Besides, Californians (or Houstonians for that matter) don't have and will never have a Braums Ice Cream and Dairy store, and really, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Braum's 150% of the time.

bluedogok
06-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Sometimes things open up there before here, Smashburger is not in Austin yet so there will be one in OKC before one in Austin. They have opened in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Tyler/Longview and opening one this summer in Texarkana but nothing on the horizon for Austin. I still wish we had a Braum's closer than Hillsboro.

Jim Kyle
06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
They used to limit their operations to a 300-mile radius from Tuttle; dunno whether they still do...

bluedogok
06-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I know, but one in Waco, Temple or Belton would be a bit nice for us Oklahoma ex-pats in Central Texas.

MikeOKC
06-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, Texas will get many before we get one, just makes more sense for them. Also, and I admit I usually don't like people saying stuff like this, but really, In-n-Out is EXTREMELY over rated. It's just a reasonably high quality fast food burger. We have a pretty huge wealth of quality burger establishments I think we'll all live fine without one for a few more years. Besides, Californians (or Houstonians for that matter) don't have and will never have a Braums Ice Cream and Dairy store, and really, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Braum's 150% of the time.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1318/inoutn.jpg

Read a little at Amazon.com about this book about the burger chain. It's about more than the burger. There's a mystique. As they say these days, "branding."
http://www.amazon.com/-N-Out-Burger-Behind---Counter-Fast-Food/dp/0061346721

EBAH
06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1318/inoutn.jpg

Read a little at Amazon.com about this book about the burger chain. It's about more than the burger. There's a mystique. As they say these days, "branding."
http://www.amazon.com/-N-Out-Burger-Behind---Counter-Fast-Food/dp/0061346721

Yeah, I know, that's kinda what I meant, it's primarily branding, not so much their products.

jmarkross
06-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Mere branding loses steam and does not continue. These guys make good food of a certain sort in a certain way.

People like it.

It's that simple.

dmoor82
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
OKC,as The Fast Food Capitol of America,does not need anymore fast food chains!Braum's blows anyone out of the water anyway's,Funny how others around this country are clamoring for a Sonic to come to thier city,just because they dont have it!

jmarkross
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
OKC,as The Fast Food Capitol of America,does not need anymore fast food chains!Braum's blows anyone out of the water anyway's,Funny how others around this country are clamoring for a Sonic to come to thier city,just because they dont have it!

Probably Southern California is the fast-food mecca of the USA...

Larry OKC
06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Don't know if it is true or not but think I recall seeing that OKC has more fast food places per capita (thus the "Fast Food Capitol of America" designation).

dmoor82
06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
^^Larry OKC you are correct,Mayor Mick even spoke on this many of times,then launched "This City is goin on a diet"OKC Million!

Steve
06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't think I have seen a Whataburger that looks like it was built past the 70's around town anywhere.

Edmond Whataburger was rebuilt about a decade ago at most.

jmarkross
06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't know if it is true or not but think I recall seeing that OKC has more fast food places per capita (thus the "Fast Food Capitol of America" designation).

For many years Norman claimed that it was...per capita...largely based on the "Hungry Mile" (Lindsey Street, 1960's-on)...probably the whole nation is...

:Smiley051

mattjank
06-27-2011, 08:39 AM
From a friend of mine in Dallas, regarding the new ones opening there:

You would not believe the traffic jams they have created! They have policemen/guards directing traffic. The one on Central/Southwestern is a really bad location and difficult to get in-and-out! I can't imagine how long it would take to get a burger from there. I'll wait till the 'new' wears off. I've eaten many in Calif. so I don't feel the need to rush on over! You would have to pitch a tent at an insane hour to get one at this point. In fact, some did pitch tents in the new Frisco one last month. Seems silly to me when What-A-Burger is just as good.

We were driving home through Dallas yesterday. Knew they would be busy, but tried to stop at the one on 75, and there were police officers blocking off the parking lot, not letting people in to park. The line to get to the drive thru was at least a half mile before you even entered the parking lot.

So with our hopes halfway dashed, we decided to head north to the Frisco location. Pulled straight into the parking lot, got into the line that was 25-30 deep, and within 20 minutes we had our double-doubles and animal style fires and an inside seat. Delicious. Will say that the drive thru there looked to be at least a 30 minute wait. It was impressive to see the speed at which they were turning out the food. We will be headed back soon.

kevinpate
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Sounds rather like a Chik Filet or Jack in the Box Opening.
20+ minutes? Some folk have way more dedication to fast food than I do.

mattjank
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Sounds rather like a Chik Filet or Jack in the Box Opening.
20+ minutes? Some folk have way more dedication to fast food than I do.

Sometimes you just have a taste that you are prepared for and nothing else will do. Besides, to get back in the car and drive to another restaurant and get seated etc, would have been at least as long as the 20 min wait, if not longer in Frisco traffic.

jmarkross
06-27-2011, 09:54 AM
We were driving home through Dallas yesterday. Knew they would be busy, but tried to stop at the one on 75, and there were police officers blocking off the parking lot, not letting people in to park. The line to get to the drive thru was at least a half mile before you even entered the parking lot.

So with our hopes halfway dashed, we decided to head north to the Frisco location. Pulled straight into the parking lot, got into the line that was 25-30 deep, and within 20 minutes we had our double-doubles and animal style fires and an inside seat. Delicious. Will say that the drive thru there looked to be at least a 30 minute wait. It was impressive to see the speed at which they were turning out the food. We will be headed back soon.

In California--one of the reasons they were successful was the intelligent and quick way they handled drive-thru, which is what it is all about (in and out) and having crack crews in the kiosk running the show...

Jesseda
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
If you go to youtube and type in-n-out burger opening in texas makes lady cry.. When the in-n-out burger opened up in texas a lady was on the news crying her eyes out, out of joy lol it was so funny, now im not that crazy but it shows you the power In-n-Out has on some people!!!

Questor
06-27-2011, 06:42 PM
In California--one of the reasons they were successful was the intelligent and quick way they handled drive-thru, which is what it is all about (in and out) and having crack crews in the kiosk running the show...

Yeah that's definitely true. I remember having gone to an In 'n Out that was sort of a free-standing island of its own where it had two completely independent drive throughs (the left and right sides of the building), the front of the building was a walk-up counter where you could grab food and then eat outside in their little "park" out front, and the back of the building was the kitchen. I'd eat in the park and be amazed at the volume they could handle.

Pete
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
They treat their employees very well and they work their tails off... And almost always do it with a smile.

Brett
08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Promising News.

In-N-Out-Burger Seeks Abatement (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/23/3309393/in-n-out-burger-seeks-abatement.html)

Pete
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
This does sound promising. The distribution center near DFW would be closer to OKC than most cities in Texas.

The company is also considering sites in Oklahoma and Louisiana, said Robert Sturns, Fort Worth economic development manager

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/23/3309393/in-n-out-burger-seeks-abatement.html#ixzz1VxtlW150

MustangGT
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
They are good but I would not stand in line more than 10 minute to eat one. They are not THAT good. Kinda like the Crispy Kreme apoplexy and loss of good sense.

mcca7596
08-24-2011, 11:42 AM
This does sound promising. The distribution center near DFW would be closer to OKC than most cities in Texas.

I'm pretty sure that was referring to Frac Tech Services LLC, read from the 7th paragraph on. Wish it was IN-N-OUT though.

edit: I meant to quote the part where the FW economic development manager states they are looking for sites in Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Jesseda
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
dont get my hopes up just to be crushed Pete!!!!!!! I can
taste the double double with grilled onions and mustard now mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so goooooood