View Full Version : Italia Express

soonerguru
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
As someone who can intelligently describe the differences between Lombardi's and John's, Joe's and Grimaldi's, I can honestly recommend an OKC restaurant for a so-close-to-being-authentic-slice-and-or-pie-of-honest-to-GOD-if-you-close-your-eyes-you-may-be-fooled-NYC pizza. Italia Express.

You've maybe had a slice at Penn Square Mall, but now they have a stand alone OKC location in the space formerly occupied by Zorba's on about 46th and May.

I went tonight and it's delish. We ordered a whole pie and -- having eaten NYC pizza as recently as two weeks ago -- were very thrilled with the lighter than air, yet vaguely crispy, and yet flexible consistency of the crust. No Hideaway "dump a gallon of sauce and smother it with ten pounds of mozzarella" approach here. It's the real deal.

What's unique about the stand-alone location on May is they also offer many classic Italian dishes. But why bother? It's hard enough to get good pizza in this town why would you order anything else?

I spoke to the owner and he said they're going to start delivery. This week! There is no way you can get a pie this good delivered to your home in the inner-city northside. None. This is spellbinding news! Good pizza. Delivered. Imagine!

Yay Italia Express! I should add they have opened another location on 122nd and Macarthur, but I cannot comment on that location.

metro
06-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Italia Express, really? It's ok, but have you ever had Gaetano's or Papa Angelo's?

MikeOKC
06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
As someone who can intelligently describe the differences between Lombardi's and John's, Joe's and Grimaldi's, I can honestly recommend an OKC restaurant for a so-close-to-being-authentic-slice-and-or-pie-of-honest-to-GOD-if-you-close-your-eyes-you-may-be-fooled-NYC pizza. Italia Express.

You've maybe had a slice at Penn Square Mall, but now they have a stand alone OKC location in the space formerly occupied by Zorba's on about 46th and May.

I went tonight and it's delish. We ordered a whole pie and -- having eaten NYC pizza as recently as two weeks ago -- were very thrilled with the lighter than air, yet vaguely crispy, and yet flexible consistency of the crust. No Hideaway "dump a gallon of sauce and smother it with ten pounds of mozzarella" approach here. It's the real deal.

What's unique about the stand-alone location on May is they also offer many classic Italian dishes. But why bother? It's hard enough to get good pizza in this town why would you order anything else?

I spoke to the owner and he said they're going to start delivery. This week! There is no way you can get a pie this good delivered to your home in the inner-city northside. None. This is spellbinding news! Good pizza. Delivered. Imagine!

Yay Italia Express! I should add they have opened another location on 122nd and Macarthur, but I cannot comment on that location.

I agree! We've been there three or four times since they opened. Reasonable prices as well, really a great place. And - they just finished construction of the fenced outdoor patio.

soonerguru
06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Italia Express, really? It's ok, but have you ever had Gaetano's or Papa Angelo's?

I have had Papa Angelo's, and the crust failed, despite the owners' NY accents and background. I have not tried Gaetano's. Last I checked it was closed. Am I wrong? And by the way, that's in Edmond. My post is about OKC.

MartzMimic
06-16-2011, 05:01 AM
The Italia Express on NW 122nd has been there for a while. And if I'm not mistaken, they were at 122nd and Rockwell before moving to the current location. I'll admit that I haven't tried it, but I'm intrigued enough now that I intend to soon.

Martin
06-16-2011, 06:25 AM
we've been passing this place by for awhile and finally made it there for lunch on tuesday. the prices are very reasonable and the food is decent. is it the best place in okc for italian? nope, but for the money we all felt it was worth it and will be back. i didn't try their pizza, so i can't comment on that. the chicken parm was ok. the meat was a little tough as if it had been slightly overcooked. other than that, the flavor was pretty good and worth the $8. i'll have to try their pizza or calzone next time. -M

USAF
06-16-2011, 07:05 AM
I haven't tried this place, but when you want to talk about the NY elite places they all have two things going for them...
#1 Coal fueled oven
#2 Fresh mozzarella cheese

There are only a handful of coal fueled ovens, but it adds a unique flavor. The Wedge used a wood stove, different approach but it's a lot closer to the NY elites than the run the mill electric ovens. Either way, you get super high heat and char marks.

With the cheese, the NY elites put down chunks of cheese and after it's cooked there isn't a "blanket" of cheese, there's lots of none cheese areas.

You'd actually be surprised how many people who are not native to NY dislike the NY elites, frequent complaints are the "burnt" taste followed by not enough cheese.

Easy180
06-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Had the one on 122nd and have to say it was pretty good especially for the price

HOT ROD
06-17-2011, 04:50 AM
http://www.italiaexpressokc.com/

hope they can locate downtown. ...

NoOceanHere
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Always looking for good NY pizza. We're in NWOKC, so I'll compare to Danny B's and determine who's gonna win our familys' Wednesday night pizza delivery.

I just wish someone could make real "garlic knots" - you know, the left over pizza dough baked swimming in olive oil, and real fresh minced garlic....ah gee, now I'm hungry again!

Steve
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Gaetano's used to have great garlic knots. Sadly, the guy wasn't as good a businessman as he was a cook.

dmoor82
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Not in OKC,but The best pie I've ever had was at Andrea's HOP in Watertown,MA http://www.andreaspizza.com/ Ohhhhh so delicious!

Stew
06-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Based on this posting I tried the pizza at Italia Express yesterday. Pretty darn good. Thanks for the recommendation.

uphype
06-20-2011, 02:39 PM
The pizza IS great! And for the price I haven't had anything there taht I wouldn't order again... I've been there 8-10 times and have had a good experience and enjoyed the food every time.

I'll keep going for sure and I would suggest this to anyone that is looking for a good meal for a good price.

Larry OKC
06-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Always looking for good NY pizza. We're in NWOKC, so I'll compare to Danny B's and determine who's gonna win our familys' Wednesday night pizza delivery.

I just wish someone could make real "garlic knots" - you know, the left over pizza dough baked swimming in olive oil, and real fresh minced garlic....ah gee, now I'm hungry again!

So thats what it is! Believe it or not, the newer Golden Corral's have those and while the oil is a missing element they appear to be made from their left over pizza dough and have the bits of garlic inside. I slather them with the honey butter and they are one of my favorite items right now.

Of subject but they also have a chocolate fountain for fresh strawberries etc and even a cotton candy machine. Their Lasagna is decent (esp for a buffet), appears to be made there and not just a Sam's warmup. Their Pizza is usually a pass though.

JayhawkTransplant
06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I've had the Italia Express pizza on 122nd and MacArthur and it was good.

But, hands down, my favorite NY pizza comes from Hobby's Hoagies.

Larry OKC
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
The Gazette has coupons good for a free slice with purchase of a drink. I tried them out and really wanted to like it but I wasn't exactly over whelmed. Even though the coupon said it was for a cheese slice, they offered to add a topping of my choice. Sadly there just wasn't much flavor to it, very bland. I went ahead and ordered a dinner salad (lettuce and a tomatoe wedge) with a very tasty House dressing and Ranch. Decided to go ahead and order the lasanga(sp). While it had some flavor to it, the serving size was small. The staff was over attentive (dont get attentive any more, but this went too far the other way as I was trying to read the paper). All in all, it isn't a place to avoid, but I wouldn't set my truck on auto-pilot either. Honestly for the value/price and flavor, I would put Fazolis at the top of my list (just wish there was one near me). But not for the pizza, Fazzoli's pizza is a fail but I like ethnic food to have plenty of flavor and not be bland. i realize not everyone thinks that way and to some Fazoli's might have too much seasoning. To each their own and enjoy what you like!

betts
06-26-2011, 01:41 AM
http://www.italiaexpressokc.com/

hope they can locate downtown. ...

We have The Wedge, Falconi's, Joey's and will soon have Sammy's and Hideaway downtown. For me, that's plenty of pizza choices. We already eat at the Wedge and Joey's fairly often and my husband swears there's no decent pizza west of the Hudson River. If we're ever in the area we might try Italia Express, but I doubt he'll be swayed. He prefers Joey's thin crust to anything else in town but says even it's a pale imitation. Haha!

soonerguru
07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I wanted to say I had some delivered and it wasn't as good as the in-store version. Perhaps this is because they just started delivery service but it didn't quite melt in the mouth the way the crust does when you have it straight out of the oven.

Joe Kimball
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
They've been delivering for some time, now, perhaps more than a year and a half, but delivered pie is often inferior since it's been "sitting out" for some time. Plus they have one guy doing it, last I saw.

Larry OKC
07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Presume Soonerguru was talking about the new store on N. May? they haven't been open that long have they?