View Full Version : Texas State Optical --- Really?

metro
06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Anyone see today's Groupon deal? Texas State Optical? What a great name to brand a business in Oklahoma, not! An Austin-based optical chain in Edmond (or as they say Edmund), I know it's been there for years, but they've masked themselves as TSO optical, but are now using the full name. Someone in their marketing department really must be an airhead or doesn't care, probably the later. Do they think Oklahoma State Optical would go over well down in Austin? I think not.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/TSOoptical.jpg

MikeOKC
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
They actually have a very good reputation. The name is fine. If that stops someone from going there - it's pretty shallow. Life's too short.

OkieHornet
06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
they've been around forever. i remember going to a tso at grand/may back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Barry Luxton
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Give me a physical break. Phillip Clayton is good people.

Thunder
06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Metro, want to gripe about our beloved Texas Roadhouse? :-)

redrunner
06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm sure the marketing people at California Pizza Kitchen are airheads and don't care either.

rcjunkie
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
With that kind of thinking, I guess we shouldn't eat Philidelphia Cream Cheese or Hershey Chocolate !!

Thunder
06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
With that kind of thinking, I guess we shouldn't eat Philidelphia Cream Cheese or Hershey Chocolate !!

Or the ever-famouse New York Cheese Cake! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/13.gif

bluedogok
06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I do have a gripe about them after the Indianapolis, Indiana based company using that name started suing real Texas roadhouses that were around long before they existed after they opened up down here. The chain is nothing more than a mediocre steakhouse, nothing at all like a real Texas roadhouse.

Soonerman
06-03-2011, 11:01 PM
The funny thing is Texas Roadhouse is based out of Indiana I believe.

metro
06-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, guess it's just me on this one, but I guarantee you an Oklahoma named business in Austin wouldn't go over well

bluedogok
06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok, guess it's just me on this one, but I guarantee you an Oklahoma named business in Austin wouldn't go over well
I don't think it would be that big of a deal down here anymore, of course it would rankle a few of the over the top fans but there are so many people from elsewhere that the Horn stronghold down here is not like it once was.....which most of those blowhards don't like either. I wonder if people in the KC area have a problem with Oklahoma Joe's BBQ up there given that BBQ is what KC is known for.

I actually know more people without UT connections than those with them. Until a few months ago we had no UT alums in the office, the last four hires did go to UT, the four that left went to Michigan, Illinois, Texas State and SCAD. Our staff is now Ball State, Columbia, Miami-Ohio/Va Tech, Nebraska, OU (me) and the four UT alums.

bretthexum
06-08-2011, 02:07 PM

You guys take your college sports a little too seriously...

oneforone
06-08-2011, 02:34 PM
That is like Georgia fan refusing to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken until they change the company name to Georgia Fried Chicken.

Thunder
06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Metro, why didn't you think of KFC? lolol

I just wonder why you picked Texas State Optical. :-/

BG918
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Oklahoma State Optical would be a strange name in Austin for sure, especially if their colors were orange..

redrunner
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
You guys take your college sports a little too seriously...

No joke, it's not like TSO is affiliated with UT. Texas is a huge state, not everything revolves around UT unlike here where you only have two options.

bluedogok
06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
No joke, it's not like TSO is affiliated with UT. Texas is a huge state, not everything revolves around UT unlike here where you only have two options.
Not even here in Austin anymore.....much to the chagrin of many a UT homer.

SoonerQueen
06-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm sure it wasn't the people at TSO that made the mistake , it was whoever wrote up the advertising. Did you notice the spelling of Edmond? I agree about Phillip Clayton. He is an honest businessman and runs a nice optical shop. I'm sure he wasn't happy with the ad when he saw it.