View Full Version : Han Jan (formerly Ingrid's)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Journey
01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Got into a discussion with some OKC expatriates about baked goods and pastries over the holidays and the talk turned to favorite items at Ingrid's. It's been quite a while since I've been there, but I recall the Raspberry Cream Puff as being excellent.

Anyone else have any special favorites from Ingrid's?

USG '60
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Got into a discussion with some OKC expatriates about baked goods and pastries over the holidays and the talk turned to favorite items at Ingrid's. It's been quite a while since I've been there, but I recall the Raspberry Cream Puff as being excellent.

Anyone else have any special favorites from Ingrid's?

Prune Picker's bass playing on week ends.

Jenn
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
it's hard to find something that isn't good at Ingrid's! Their Sunday brunch is to die for, with the exception that it is over priced by about $5. They have good lunch specials too. I also love their thumb print fudge cookies YUM!

RealJimbo
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Brats, sauerkraut, red cabbage, german potato salad, cream horns, eclairs, italian cream cake, cinnamon rolls....where to stop?

rondvu
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I love the almond martizpan cookies. Yum yum.

icecold
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
it's hard to find something that isn't good at Ingrid's! Their Sunday brunch is to die for, with the exception that it is over priced by about $5. They have good lunch specials too. I also love their thumb print fudge cookies YUM!

Agree with all of that. The fudge brownies are tough not to get when staring at them while waiting to order.

PennyQuilts
01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Jenn, I sure like your avatar.

Jenn
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Jenn, I sure like your avatar.

aww thanks! That is Mollie our newest "baby". She is an Old English Sheepdog and that was taken when she was about a couple months old, she is now about 5 months old and easily three times (if not more) that size lol!

alan
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
ingrids? what is NOT to like?

sunday buffet (perfectly priced for the food quality IMHO) i always stock up on the Eggs Benedict and Pan-Fried (buttermilk soaked?) Chicken and Sausage and Kraut and Perfect Bacon. if i have room (rarely) then i get some Bread Pudding with the Bourbon Butter Sauce. love it!

soonergal
01-14-2010, 05:42 PM
where is Ingrid's located?

icecold
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
where is Ingrid's located?

36th and villa.....to be more specific NW 36th and Villa....right in between Penn and May....you should give the place a shot....great food, great service and now a wine and beer bar....big, big fan of the place.....Diners, drive-ins and dives filmed there but it has yet to air....you will not be disappointed.

silvergrove
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
The Napoleons and the divinity cookies are really good for a sweet tooth.

onthestrip
01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
36th and villa.....to be more specific NW 36th and Villa....right in between Penn and May....you should give the place a shot....great food, great service and now a wine and beer bar....big, big fan of the place.....Diners, drive-ins and dives filmed there but it has yet to air....you will not be disappointed.
I think you mean 36th and youngs

DishinAndDishes
01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Coming from a German family, I honestly didn't care for their food, but their bakery is wonderful. I am a fan of the thumbprint cookies also!

CCOKC
01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Drove by Ingrid's tonight on my way home from the Thunder game. They are having a watch party on Monday night for their appearance on Diners Drive-ins and Dives.

PennyQuilts
01-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Has it aired? Will you remind us to watch it?

CCOKC
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I am assuming it will air Monday at 8 for the first time since they are having a watch party then. Consider this your reminder since I will probably forget about it on Monday since I may be at work still now that busy season is in full swing. (Why did I go into public accounting?)

citizenkane
01-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm a fan of their hamantaschen.

jdcf
02-03-2010, 11:55 AM
The cookies!!!!

rondvu
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I just found out that Ingrid's has a new chef. He is Michael and he used to be at the Keller in the Castle. I can tell you having a German Mother and a fondness of the cuisine I had to try his talents at Ingrid's. I had the rolanden, red cabbage and dumplings along with a fluffy and light roll. It was delicious. My guest who is not all that familiar with German food also enjoyed the meal as well. I asked him about some of the menu items from the Keller and he said he could possibility add them in due time. Ingrid's is known for being a bakery and deli and has now expanded to restaurant that serves authentic and delicious German dishes. :chef:

jdcf
08-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Need to get back there soon.

BigBadBen
05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Is Ingrid's still open?
Someone told me that it burned down and they had no plans of rebuilding.

I have no clue if this is true or just a rumor, and I apologize if this has been covered.

thanks

USG'60
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
It was there yesterday.

BoulderSooner
05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
i was there on friday .. great as always

BigBadBen
05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you!
I had a feeling he was confusing it with another place.

bandnerd
02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
My newspaper staff and I went over to Ingrid's for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Most of the staff had never even had German food. Not only was it funny to watch them waffle over their menu choices (seriously, I think it took them 15 minutes to decide on a sandwich), it was funny to watch them try and choose a dessert!

Here's the review: http://my.hsj.org/497506

Thanks to Ingrid's for letting us come out and review them!

BoulderSooner
02-08-2012, 01:04 PM
thanks good job

bandnerd
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks! That Napoleon I had was so worth the calories.

BBatesokc
02-09-2012, 08:28 AM
I was on my high school newspaper staff (Pirate Log, PCHS, class of '89, Sam Effinger - teacher). Wish we'd had field trips to do restaurant reviews.

SoonerDave
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I was on my high school newspaper staff (Pirate Log, PCHS, class of '89, Sam Effinger - teacher). Wish we'd had field trips to do restaurant reviews.

Sam Effinger!?! He was the yearbook adviser at Moore High School back in my old stomping days. I was on the newspaper staff then (ahh, journalism, the road not taken...), but he was well known for orchestrating a slew of award-winning yearbooks at MHS during my time there and in the few years before....

bandnerd
02-09-2012, 10:29 AM

We like to try new things ;) We'll be going to Mutt's soon.

BBatesokc
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
We like to try new things ;) We'll be going to Mutt's soon.

Have you taken them to the new S&B's - they could have some fun reviews with the quirky sliders that are offered there.

bandnerd
02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Have you taken them to the new S&B's - they could have some fun reviews with the quirky sliders that are offered there.

Tried, couldn't sell them for some reason. They're a fairly indecisive group. I'm hoping that next year I'll have a more "go-getter" group than I have now so we can do more things like this, and more often!

BBatesokc
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Sam Effinger was great. I did yearbook stuff too. Yes, he was known to win the awards. He went to bat for me a couple of times in high school. I used to take out full page ads in the school paper offering my own senior shirts that I printed. The school wanted me banned from doing it but Sam Effinger told them no way. Good times! I wrote some, but was mostly the editorial cartoonist and layout.

RadicalModerate
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
The next time that I make "Schnitzel"--at home, with Rotkhol and Potato Salat ala Deutscland on the side--I will be scouring the aisles of both Whole Foods and Sunflower Market for "green peepers".

I will expect to pay more for the organic ones.

All kidding aside: Kudos for being an engaged Teacher/Instructor of the Kiddoz.
(Really: No kidding. =)

bandnerd
02-10-2012, 05:19 AM
The next time that I make "Schnitzel"--at home, with Rotkhol and Potato Salat ala Deutscland on the side--I will be scouring the aisles of both Whole Foods and Sunflower Market for "green peepers".

I will expect to pay more for the organic ones.

All kidding aside: Kudos for being an engaged Teacher/Instructor of the Kiddoz.
(Really: No kidding. =)

Thanks for the correction! Spellcheck doesn't catch everything, and neither do my often tired eyes :P Peepers are now peppers. That's what I love about the online site -- we can make corrections whenever we want, even at 6am from home!

And thanks, RM, I try to be an engaged instructor as much as I humanly can.

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Last night, due to road construction and traffic, southbound on Penn, I missed my turn onto 50th St. that would have taken us to Kha Zana for some Indian Food. As I went on south toward 39th or 36th to double back, it occurred to me that Ingrid's might be an excellent alternative choice. Although they have been at their current location for decades, I had never stopped in there before.

I was right: It IS an EXCELLENT choice.

I had the Sauerbraten (only $9.95) and my wife had the Schnitzel (price unknown). Some people might think that putting both sauerkraut and red cabbage on the plate is "overkill" but they are so different in flavor and texture that I was glad to have the chance to sample both of them. The potato salad provided the perfect third side. I washed all of this down with a couple of dark German beers that I had never tasted before. They were similar to a "light" stout and were also delicious. "Wars (something) Premium Dunkel" it said on the label. I'll be looking for it on my next visiit to the Libationary.

This time we sat in the large "deli area" rather than the "Wine/Beer/Cocktail" area and I noticed the piano that I understand is used sometimes to provide live entertainment.

The cakes, pies and pastries in the cases looked wonderful, but it was hot out and we had some other stops to make on the way home, so we will have to buy some of those on our next visit. Which, thanks to the dining value Ingrid's provides (their fine reputation is not exaggerated) will hopefully be in the near future.

Maynard
07-25-2012, 07:39 AM
---
---
---
They were similar to a "light" stout and were also delicious. "Wars (something) Premium Dunkel" it said on the label. I'll be looking for it on my next visiit to the Libationary.
---
---
---

Warsteiner (http://www.warsteiner.com/en/html/index.html)? Schmecht sehr gut!

[vahr-schteiner]

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
By Jove! I believe that was it! =)
(a bit "spendy" by the bottle at Ingrid's but worth every penny.)

I clicked your link, but I don't have my ID handy so I'll have to check it out later.
What does "Dunkel" mean? Is it German for "Stout"?

bandnerd
07-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Warsteiner (http://www.warsteiner.com/en/html/index.html)? Schmecht sehr gut!

[vahr-schteiner]

Warsteiner is a favorite of mine. Pretty much any "libationary" around here should have several varieties.

Maynard
07-25-2012, 07:49 AM
---
What does "Dunkel" mean? Is it German for "Stout"?

"Dark"

Roadhawg
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
I pass by there all the time but have never stopped in. I'll have to give it a try now.

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
You won't regret it.
If you go in the "Deli"/"Bakery" part, you will stand in a short line, place your order, pay for it and it will be delivered to your table.
I think that if you sit in the other part, a waiter or waitress takes your order.
This may cause a bit of confusion regarding leaving a gratuity . . . But it is a small price to pay.

(Have you ever made Sauerbraten at home? It is a process spanning several days. Then there is the actual cooking and cleanup.)

FRISKY
07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
(Have you ever made Sauerbraten at home? It is a process spanning several days. Then there is the actual cooking and cleanup.)It is one of my many gastronomic specialties! Yes, you are correct it is a lot of work to prepare correctly, but well worth it.

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
It's $9.95 at Ingrid's. =)
Plus the "complimentary" bread slices are even better than what one can purchase at Sunflower Market! =)

(One of the other Best Deals in town is the buffet at KhaZana. But tonight I'm slicing the Sunflower Market purchased pork roast into chops and firing up the grill. The "burn ban" hasn't yet extended to charcoal grilling has it? If so, then it will be the StovetopSear/OvenFinish method with some nice Steve R. BBQ sauce on the side. And taters plus Sunflower Mkt. Ciabatta Bread.)

Hope that didn't sound like a plug for any local businesses. =)
Too many "plugs" are fake.

Roadhawg
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Is KhaZana that Indian buffet place? That's about 5 minutes from my house.

onthestrip
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Never had anything bad there and the sweet rolls and thumb print cookies are some of the best in OKC

RadicalModerate
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
If one were to judge the quality of the food served at Ingrid's, at the intersection of Youngs and NW 36th Streets, only by the buildings across the street(s)-- which structures include a well-seasoned Cleaning Establishment directly to the east and a ClothingAlterations place directly south of the historic, 50'sSolid cleaners and bordering a quaint, winsome, semihistoric (without all the BSRegs) OKLAHOMA CITY neighborhood--. . . One might not ever choose to pull into the parking lot. (BTW: Ample parking to the north.)

But anyways . . .
If one was or were to make such a judgment (with or without an e) . . . one would not be unpleasantly surprised.
In fact, one would actually marvel at the fact that such a perfect dining establishment still exists and prospers in an old sub-urban spawl matrix that couldn't even support the long-gone "Builders Square" further west of Culinary Near Perfection.

Ingrid's does not depend on proper phrasing (n)or punctuation.
(or a visit by that Guy)

It simply presents excellent food in an authentic environment.
(and KhaZana does too except its in a strip mall right on May Ave. =)

Ingrid's isn't quite as "memorable" as dinner at Keller in the Kastle . . .
But that doesn't mean it isn't a nearly incredible value.
In addition to that it still exists.

I still owe our waiter $5.00
But the pay at the register deal was confusing the first time.

ctchandler
07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Go there on a Saturday and listen to one of our members (Prunepicker) play the bass fiddle. I think that's between 12:00 and 2:00. I have eaten there and it has always been good. It's not "fine dining" by any means but I don't thing that was ever their intent, just good stuff.
C. T.

OSUMom
07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
I alwyas think I'm going to try something different, but I just can't get past their rubens. Best ever. And the german potato salad. YUM. And the chocolate in those thump print cookies is lethal.

Weekend brunch buffet is very good too. A bit pricey, but lots and lots of food (and desserts!) to choose from.

Roadhawg
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
You had me at rubens and german potato salad.... Love both of those.

soonerguru
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Ingrid's is outstanding!

Roadhawg
07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Think I'll give it a try this week. I've been craving a reuben and tater salad since it was mentioned.

RadicalModerate
11-16-2013, 02:31 PM
So, we actually made it to Ingrid's on a Saturday afternoon. The parking lot was 99.9% occupied and the ordering line was long and slow. There was even a guy in line, ahead of the one couple in front of me, at the ordering register, who spent about five minutes trying to convince the fellow taking orders and money that he had to have a slice of apricot pie--which wasn't available on this particular day. Sounds like a bad experience, right? Au contraire: It was a WONDERFUL experience. And here's why: The Band that plays there every Saturday from noon until two. These guys are GREAT!!! Total professionals. It was like having a ring-side seat in a recording studio. One guy played saxophone, clarinet, mandolin and banjo. One guy played the piano. One guy played a stand-up bass. One guy played drums (consisting only of a snare, a bass, two cymbals and a high-hat). When we walked in the door, they were playing Night and Day by Cole Porter and playing it just as good as any recording of the tune I've ever listened to and the tunes just kept on coming, non-stop.

People--some of whom were probably born back in the 20's--were dancing, gracefully, to the music. One sweet lady was on the dance floor with her walker as a partner. It was a celebration of "the good life" unlike any that I've witnessed, personally, before. And apparently this has been going on every Saturday for decades.

Oh, almost forgot about the food! My wife, who had staked out a spot near the band, had me order a Reuben sandwich for her and I got some smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. She let me have a taste of her Reuben and if it wasn't the best version of that delight I've ever had, it was in the top two. My "salmon bagel" was delightful and accompanied by some sweet red onion, a pickle and some sliced tomatoes that actually tasted like tomatoes. We sat there listening to the band and engaging in some conversation with the former strangers who shared the table with us, as well as the nice lady making the circuit of the room with the Tip Vase. Before they left, the people next to us at the table, gave my wife and I cookie from the dozen they had purchased. How nice is that? After a while, my wife said that she just had to have a piece of pie and returned to the table with a slice of what has to be the best blueberry pie I have ever eaten.

All in all, the experience was a little slice of heaven and I bought a bag of their fabulous dinner rolls to take home as a reminder.

I have an unheard of Saturday off, again next week. Guess what is on my agenda for lunch.
Did I mention that our own Prunepicker is in the band? I have now. =)

TeriOKC
11-16-2013, 08:51 PM
RadicalModerate, you are so right! Ingrid's is simply MAGICAL on Saturday afternoons. The last time I was in there, I saw a very elderly couple on the dance floor with several others, dancing beautifully. Never mind that he was very tall and slightly stoop-shouldered, and she was barely five feet tall and tiny. I got a lump in my throat as I watched them, thinking of my own precious parents who crossed over within the last five years. The cashier noticed that I was watching them. As she handed me my dozen thumbprint cookies, she said, "Aren't they precious? They're here every Saturday!"

Pete
09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
From the Gazette:

Contrary to what you might have heard, the classic Ingrid’s Kitchen is not moving. In far more exciting news, it is opening a third location in the metro. Lee Burris and his crew are now readying the space at 6501 N. May Ave. and plan to open within the next few weeks. The new location will offer Ingrid’s full range of baked goods as well as deli items and will serve as the commissary for the other locations.

There will be seating space for a leisurely lunch, or you can call ahead and take the sweets and breads with you. Burris and his crew are also more than willing to do custom orders on cakes and treats if you give them a call.

The Ingrid’s Kitchen location at 3501 N. Youngs Blvd. will continue to be the only location that serves one of the best brunches in town, complete with mimosas and a dessert table that will leave you reaching for the insulin.

HangryHippo
09-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I wasn't aware there was a second Ingrid's somewhere. Where is the second location?

Teo9969
09-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Council and 23rd

HangryHippo
09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Council and 23rd

Hmm, had no idea, thanks Teo.

Roger S
09-11-2014, 03:24 PM
I wasn't aware there was a second Ingrid's somewhere. Where is the second location?

I believe it is also called Ingrid's Pantry rather than Kitchen.