View Full Version : PASSAGES Exhibit at the OKC Museum of Art

FritterGirl
05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I was so happy today to be able to get a sneak peek of the new passages exhibit at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. The exhibit opens on Monday, May 16.

This is the exhibit that is being put on by the museum in cooperation with the Green family of Hobby Lobby. In essence, it is an interative exhibit that chronicles the early history of the bible and Judeo-Christian history via actual artifacts and manuscripts, as well as mulitple interative displays.

My tour was short, but gave me enough of a taste to know I want to go back and learn more.

As someone who is largely NOT a person of faith, I was really fascinated by the history of it all, as well as the artistry and labor that went to some of these early pieces, some of which are truly magnificent and rare cultural jewels.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who has an interest in this kind of thing to go see it. They have done a spectacular job with setting the museum up, and giving people just a very brief glimpse into the history of the Bible. The exhibit largely focuses just on that - the history. From what I experienced, there is very little in the way of prosylethizing or evangelizing, in fact, the lead curator, a biblical scholar out of Baylor, worked very hard to ensure things not be "skewed."

For those with an even deeper scholarly interest, there is about 9 hours worth of material on the ipods that you can pick up to listedn to as you go through the exhibit. (You can also take the general tour).

There are also plenty of activities for the kids to engage in, so they won't be too bored (I probably wouldn't recommend it for children under 5). They really go all out - using not just the artifacts in cases, but video, animatronic displays, interactive kiosks, as well as docents in costume to enhance the experience.

Tickets to this will be about $25 per person (adult) for non-members, $15 for members, so significantly higher than what usual admission is. They will also be doing timed ticketing, so you have to reserve your ticket "time" and go in at assigned intervals.

They're expecting over 150,000 or more people to visit during the exhibition's run and are marketing it widely throughout the southwest and Missourri Valley regions, as they expect lots of tourism traffic.

I know I sound like I'm waxing poetic about this (and perhaps I am), but it's a fabulous exhibit. BRAVO to the Greens and the OKC Museum staff for bringing this here.