View Full Version : NW Expwy & May?

Celebrator
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Anybody heard anything about a project for the former Smicklas Chevrolet dealership location at the SW "corner" of NW Expwy and May? They demolished all of the dealer buildings and are moving lots of earth there. Seems like a prime location to me. I work right near there, so I am hoping for something cool.

mcca7596
05-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Dave and Busters, along with a Whataburger and Jack-In-The-Box:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23960&highlight=dave+and+busters

Celebrator
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry about that...this has been a much-discussed topic, but since I really have no interest in Dave and Busters, I never bothered to read the thread! I, too, was hoping for a mixed-use development in this location...very disappointing.

This question/thread can be removed. My bad.

mcca7596
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
It's all good; you're right, it would have been a great location for something more urban.

soonergal
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm just glad it's not going to be another deserted car lot that are seems to be very popular along May Ave...

Soonerinfiniti
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
There is going to be some retail associated with this development (strip center). Speculative at this time. Interesting thing, they are going to put a traffic light at May Avenue and NW 52nd. That seems to me that a light this close to NW 50th would really slow down traffic.

MikeOKC
05-11-2011, 03:55 PM
There WILL be more than D&B, Jack In The Box and Whataburger. From what I hear, this site has a couple of very decent prospects. Great location.

metro
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
There WILL be more than D&B, Jack In The Box and Whataburger. From what I hear, this site has a couple of very decent prospects. Great location.

We already know that from their own official statements. They mentioned there will be at least 2 hotels.

redrunner
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
We already know that from their own official statements. They mentioned there will be at least 2 hotels.

was wondering when you were gonna chime in.

okcisok
05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
I travel that area on May Ave two or three times a week. Does anyone know if the city has any plans to resurface the May Ave bridge that goes over NWX? It has been in horrible shape for a long time and more traffic will just make it worse.

metro
05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Resurface.....it needs to be rebuilt to modern design standards to handle the traffic load

okcisok
05-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I always hold my breath when I cross that bridge. It's been in bad shape for years. I remember when a truck hit it going under and they had to determine how much damage it suffered. I can only imagine what a hassle it would be to close NWX for any period of time to rework that interchange.

Spaugh
05-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I recall that was the boom of an excavator on a flatbed that ran into the bridge and damaged the beams underneath the easternmost lane. Put holes all the way through the surface and seemed to take forever to fix. Someone really messed up.

bluedogok
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I recall that was the boom of an excavator on a flatbed that ran into the bridge and damaged the beams underneath the easternmost lane. Put holes all the way through the surface and seemed to take forever to fix. Someone really messed up.
Yep, that was an expensive lesson for that company.

oneforone
05-18-2011, 02:13 AM
My Sister works over at Baptist. She will be glad to hear that Whataburger and Jack in the Box will be close by. Baptist's Evening/overnight food service has turned to garbage since they went on a health kick. She said take out and delivery places are making a killing off of hospital staff.

Larry OKC
05-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Wonder if they are relocating the old, original "A" frame Whataburger not too far from there, just south of 36th & May? Need to ask the next time I am in there

Brett
12-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Whataburger is open for business.

Snowman
12-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Resurface.....it needs to be rebuilt to modern design standards to handle the traffic load

The design always seemed odd to me, did it go in before i44? It must have been before Lake Hefner Parkway. It seems like with all the other stoplights around it, their is not that much of an advantage of it being controlled access and given how little room the entry and exit ramps have it seems like it may be more dangerous for drivers than a normal intersection as well.

Jim Kyle
12-20-2011, 07:50 AM
The design always seemed odd to me, did it go in before i44?It went in long before the Interstate program itself. Back in the late '40s, Northwest Highway ended (or more accurately, began) at May and only the ramps on the west side of May existed. The bridge was there, as I recall, even though the highway didn't extend to the east. During the 50s, the highway got extended to the east as far as Classen Circle. The part of I44 from NW 39 and May up to the Belle Isle Bridge didn't get built until the mid-50s; I remember the excavation for its May Avenue underpass being dug in 1954. And the Belle Isle bridge itself dates from the early 70s. Before that, the I44 route joined NW highway, to Classen Circle, then continued to the northeast from there.

Snowman
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
It went in long before the Interstate program itself. Back in the late '40s, Northwest Highway ended (or more accurately, began) at May and only the ramps on the west side of May existed. The bridge was there, as I recall, even though the highway didn't extend to the east. During the 50s, the highway got extended to the east as far as Classen Circle. The part of I44 from NW 39 and May up to the Belle Isle Bridge didn't get built until the mid-50s; I remember the excavation for its May Avenue underpass being dug in 1954. And the Belle Isle bridge itself dates from the early 70s. Before that, the I44 route joined NW highway, to Classen Circle, then continued to the northeast from there.

Thanks, clears up several things I had wondered why they were done the way the were.

Jim Kyle
12-20-2011, 08:57 AM
The original plan for Northwest Highway was to have a direct route from OKC to Denver, and the stretch from May Avenue out to the US 81 intersection past Okarche was built in the very late 30s. One of my earliest memories is that of sitting on my father's lap and "driving" the car (actually just steering it; Daddy retained control of the gas and the brake) on the unpaved NW Highway, around 1939 or so. That was the period when Highway 66 between El Reno and Yukon was being expanded from 2-lane to 3-lane, and traffic was detoured up 81 at El Reno, then along NW Highway to OKC.

The dam for Lake Hefner (then known as the Bluff Creek Reservoir) was built in that same time frame. Both projects were halted midway toward completion by WW2, then finished in the mid-40s.

BB37
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
My memories don't go nearly as far back as Jim's, but the only modifications to that interchange that I can recall occurred in the mid 80s, when NWX expanded from 4 to 6 lanes (three each way). Otherwise, it is unchanged from its original construction, even down to the OKC Garden Clubs sign on the SW corner.

TheTravellers
12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
There is going to be some retail associated with this development (strip center). Speculative at this time. Interesting thing, they are going to put a traffic light at May Avenue and NW 52nd. That seems to me that a light this close to NW 50th would really slow down traffic.

It does, it's not synchronized to the light at 50th. Was going north on May, light on 50th turned green, light at 52nd turned red. Brilliant, but not unexpected, sadly. Maybe someone has paid attention to it by now and fixed it, this experience was a few weeks ago.

MikeOKC
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
It does, it's not synchronized to the light at 50th. Was going north on May, light on 50th turned green, light at 52nd turned red. Brilliant, but not unexpected, sadly. Maybe someone has paid attention to it by now and fixed it, this experience was a few weeks ago.

If they are going to synch the lights, they would have to wait until they get an idea of traffic flow after the center is opened on the west side of May. It sure helps getting in and out of Target having the light.

TheTravellers
12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
If they are going to synch the lights, they would have to wait until they get an idea of traffic flow after the center is opened on the west side of May. It sure helps getting in and out of Target having the light.

No, they wouldn't have to wait, they could do an interim fix, then fine-tune when the other places opened up.

onthestrip
12-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't expect much syncing. The light in front of lowes on may and I44 is not timed properly with the I44 stop lights.

MikeOKC
12-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't expect much syncing. The light in front of lowes on may and I44 is not timed properly with the I44 stop lights.

To me, it's not that big of a deal. Synced lights are a luxury anyway - and also imperfect. We're in too big a hurry these days.

Snowman
12-25-2011, 04:12 AM
To me, it's not that big of a deal. Synced lights are a luxury anyway - and also imperfect. We're in too big a hurry these days.

It just seems kind of ironic when you hit greater than 80% of lights as/after they turn red while driving down what are designated ODOTs priority routes.

Roadhawg
12-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Not sure if they are going to synch them or just have them change when there is traffic coming out of Target or from the other side.

TheTravellers
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Yeah, that's another bad set. I'm not sure if OKC even has the tech available to sync the lights in the city. I know they're getting ready to do some synchronization along some major thoroughfares (yay, nice to see that!), but not sure if May is included (saw the list in the previous newsletter in the city bill, but the "story" is not up on their website anywhere easily findable :doh:) or if any other lights have the capability (I would guess not).

Larry OKC
12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Drove by the former Whataburger location down the street and they have already removed the signage, boarded up the windows/doors and painted the whole thing white. Didn't see anything that indicated they had relocated for those that are used to them being there...just gone

metro
12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that's another bad set. I'm not sure if OKC even has the tech available to sync the lights in the city. I know they're getting ready to do some synchronization along some major thoroughfares (yay, nice to see that!), but not sure if May is included (saw the list in the previous newsletter in the city bill, but the "story" is not up on their website anywhere easily findable :doh:) or if any other lights have the capability (I would guess not).

Pretty sure the whole city willbe in 2-3 years

MDot
12-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure the whole city willbe in 2-3 years

I hope so.

Brett
01-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Does anyone know when the Jack in the Box on NW 52nd and May Ave is going to open? I noticed landscape workers were laying the irrigation system this weekend. I'm guessing less than one month left until the grand opening.

shriekingviolet
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know what's going in to the building they're working on behind the Jack in the Box and Whataburger? I work in a building nearby and have a view of the construction out of our windows and it's been driving one of my coworkers crazy not knowing what's going in.

Pete
02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
It's a strip center with a men's big & tall, a dentist and a Superclips.

Achilleslastand
02-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know what's going in to the building they're working on behind the Jack in the Box and Whataburger? I work in a building nearby and have a view of the construction out of our windows and it's been driving one of my coworkers crazy not knowing what's going in.

I think its a Dave and Busters.....i could be incorrect tho.

OKCisOK4me
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM

You are correct about D&B being on the lot, but they're talking about the new strip mall going up to the south of that and north and west of Whataburger

Slimjim
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know when the Jack in the Box on NW 52nd and May Ave is going to open? I noticed landscape workers were laying the irrigation system this weekend. I'm guessing less than one month left until the grand opening.

this coming monday

metro
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM

As someone posted out, this is south of DB. DB is already open.

Pete
02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Here's a site plan from the Dave & Buster's thread -- and no, we don't know what will be taking the remaining restaurant pad (Lot 3):

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/HttpHandlers/attachment/ServeAttachment.ashx?FileGuid=061166C3-2FE5-4E96-B5CC-D7E72E3D44D9&Extension=jpg&Width=631&Height=421&PadImage=true&DisableVisualWatermark=

okctechsan
02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
We live in Mayfair Heights and are excited about the developments. Looking forward to the strip center. This is more of a comment rather than a question, but why would they put a Jack in the Box next to a Whata-Burger? They are essentially the same types of food. Would love to see a Rosa's Cafe to be in the third spot.

Jim Kyle
02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Why? For the same reason that CVS and Walgreen's always stay close together. Gotta stay close to the competition!

Pete
02-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I used to be a commercial real estate broker and represented a franchisee for Burger King.

He told me, "Ideally we'd like to go right next to McDonald's because we know their numbers and can do 75% of their business".

oneforone
02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
We live in Mayfair Heights and are excited about the developments. Looking forward to the strip center. This is more of a comment rather than a question, but why would they put a Jack in the Box next to a Whata-Burger? They are essentially the same types of food. Would love to see a Rosa's Cafe to be in the third spot.

Both will do plenty of business because both have their own loyal following.

Destination XL is part of the same chain as Casual Male. I am wondering if they will close the Casual Male at NW Expressway and Portland.

bluedogok
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Destination XL is part of the same chain as Casual Male. I am wondering if they will close the Casual Male at NW Expressway and Portland.
More than likely, they recently located a Destination XL in Cherry Creek North here in Denver and closed the existing Casual Male XL store about a mile away. Destination XL carries the standard Casual Male XL product lines along with more name brand clothing like you would see at the Dillard's Big & Tall department.

Brett
02-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Just got back from eating lunch at the new Jack in the Box. Love those curly fries.

metro
02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/db2.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/snewlon/db1.jpg