View Full Version : Carnivals around okc

Jesseda
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
It seems that carnivals are the thing of the past, back in the 80s, moore would have at least 2 carnivals around the city a year, i use to love going to them. Norman use to haveone every year aroundthe end of april off of main street around the mall.. Does anyone know if there will be carnivals around the area, i want to take my kiddos to them. We do have one in moore once a year during 4th of july but its overly crowded

ljbab728
05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
It seems that carnivals are the thing of the past, back in the 80s, moore would have at least 2 carnivals around the city a year, i use to love going to them. Norman use to haveone every year aroundthe end of april off of main street around the mall.. Does anyone know if there will be carnivals around the area, i want to take my kiddos to them. We do have one in moore once a year during 4th of july but its overly crowded

I'm not sure if it's close enough for you but Mustang has one every year in conjunction with it's Western Days event in the fall.

BDK
05-04-2011, 10:08 PM
There is a small carnival in conjunction with the Norman Music Festival every year (the festival was last weekend, though); however, I don't really know if that is an environment for the little ones...

Thunder
05-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Yeah, it has been quite some time since I seen one anywhere. I used to see them in Norman near those auto dealerships, 29th and May in the shopping center, Heritage Park Mall, and some other random locations. I do not know why there are less of them. The rides are the same as seen at the State Fair, so I guess they are the same group.

I remember the Fairgrounds having the Spring Fair with rides being indoor and some outdoor, but I have not heard of one for a long time now. These carnival guys need to start getting back to work and be making money, because people are willing to pay, pay, pay.

Use this thread to report all carnival sightings.

C'mon! I'm 26 here, not much time left to appear "young" and "be a kid" so... Bring back the carnivals!

RadioOKC
05-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I saw one out in Shawnee mall parking lot when I was there, and the first
think I thought was - do they have anyone come out and inspect these things?
It looked like it was in bad shape. Scary.

Chris
www.radiookc.com

Bigrayok
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I have seen the one at S.W. 29th and May more than once in the past year. The Bethany 4th of July carnival operates on other days around the 4th of July. You may be able to get to it without too big of a crowd an a day other than the 4th.

Bigray in Ok

metro
05-06-2011, 08:09 PM
You're right, they are a thing of the past, pretty lame by today's entertainment standards.

BBatesokc
05-07-2011, 06:08 AM
They set one up once or twice a year in the parking lot at SE 44 and S. High. We go just about every year and take my nephew or just go ourselves. It's always packed so we go early on a week night. The kids love it and the wife and I will usually do 1-3 rides and get a corn dog. Its outdoor fun, plenty of odd people to watch, but I think it's a little expensive.

Jesseda
05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
thing of the past, but I took my kids to the 4th of july one and they love love loved it, they ask me all the time to go to a carnival now

BBatesokc
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Anyone know if they still do the yearly carnival at Lake Texoma? I remember it as very big and a helicopter would fly over boaters and drop small prizes that week.

Jesseda
05-08-2011, 02:16 PM
prizes being tossed out of a helicopter is my type of carnival!!!

Thunder
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't think they are expensive. Its worth the thrill fun and quality time together. They have to pay space rental, employees, and bills. We may have a problem if the rides continue to look old, no fresh paint, and too many dead lights.

Are they the same group that set up at the Fairgrounds annually? If so, then those rides are safety checked. Its required, so I shouldn't worry about it...much. Also, depend on location, some carnivals have more rides than others.

The huge parking area at the Heritage Park Mall, where they used to set up annually, I wonder if they paid to the mall or Sears. And I wonder if Sears own the corner parking lot, if so, I'd suggest maybe try contacting the Sears management and convince them to bring back the carnival.

I'm not sure if the carnival people are seeking out places or people contacting them.

I sure hope contract agreement can be done at Golden Goose. For all of us renting indoor, we have free outdoor access to sell, something like a special weekend where a vendor can set up to move off inventory. I sure as hell would love to set up near the carnival lot and sell lucky bamboo plants.

metro
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Nothing says carnival like bamboo

Jesseda
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
metro, i think you just gave thunder his new banner logo for selling bamboo

Thunder
05-10-2011, 04:11 AM
That is a good idea.