View Full Version : The Demise of our Soap Operas

Thunder
04-15-2011, 05:50 PM
ABC recently reported that they will pull the plug on All My Children and One Life to Live. One is ending in September and the other in January. No news if they will be able to find another network (like Passions did, but to pay for view ... not sure if Passions is still going on).

We have lost a lot of soap operas due to stupid younger generation wanting to watch stupid reality shows and whatever available junk there are on other networks.

What we have left to go on is Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, and General Hospital. I predict that these 4 will continue on for many more years as they should gain many more viewers coming from All My Children and One Life to Live.

So many we have lost the past few decades.

HewenttoJared
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I watch Nova instead. Am I now a stupid teenager?

Thunder
04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
I watch Nova instead. Am I now a stupid teenager?

Nah. You're adorable. :-P

kevinpate
04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
It's ok Thunder. The world will still turn

Easy180
04-15-2011, 07:54 PM
The good news is that CBS now has The Talk which is a ripoff of The View

Cant have enough of this type of show...I really need to get back to work...lol

Thunder
04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
And its really bad that we have gone years without another Star Trek series. :-(

And still no Voyager movie.

SoonerQueen
04-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I still miss As the World turns and Guiding Light. I switched over after they were canceled and now watch Days of our lives. Now with Oprah leaving, that will be another gap.I don't like the game shows, and I don't care for the View because of their primarily liberal hosts. No one ever asks me what I like or what I watch.Guess I'm too old and they don't care.

Thunder
04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I still miss As the World turns and Guiding Light. I switched over after they were canceled and now watch Days of our lives. Now with Oprah leaving, that will be another gap.I don't like the game shows, and I don't care for the View because of their primarily liberal hosts. No one ever asks me what I like or what I watch.Guess I'm too old and they don't care.

I know how you feel. I watched Sunset Beach and Passions from start to finish, although I was not able to watch Passions when they switched to a network forcing willing viewers to pay. I used to watch Days of our Lives for many years, but I have not kept track of it the past few years. I watched The Bold and the Beautiful for a few years before college then stopped. Several years ago, I started to watch The Young and the Restless and still do.

HewenttoJared
04-16-2011, 06:12 AM
And its really bad that we have gone years without another Star Trek series. :-(

And still no Voyager movie.

BSG 2004 is better than any ST series.

Dustin
04-16-2011, 08:38 AM
The good news is that CBS now has The Talk which is a ripoff of The View

Cant have enough of this type of show...I really need to get back to work...lol

I actually like The Talk... and I'm a dude..

TaoMaas
04-17-2011, 09:27 AM
We have lost a lot of soap operas due to stupid younger generation wanting to watch stupid reality shows and whatever available junk there are on other networks.

Seriously, dude...you need to get a grip. Soap operas are the lowest common denominator of television drama. They ARE the scripted counterparts to crap reality tv shows. Griping about a few soap operas being dropped is like whining because McDonalds cut some things from their $1 menu.

skyrick
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Seriously, dude...you need to get a grip. Soap operas are the lowest common denominator of television drama. They ARE the scripted counterparts to crap reality tv shows. Griping about a few soap operas being dropped is like whining because McDonalds cut some things from their $1 menu.

Whew, finally! Someone had to say it.

bluedogok
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
I think moving all production from NYC to LA was the beginning of the end...or at least that is what my cousin thought when All My Children moved production about 2 years ago. She was the Wardrobe Designer on that show when it was in NYC, it was a nice steady paycheck and allowed her to do more of the independent films that she preferred to do.

jn1780
04-17-2011, 08:33 PM

A lot of those "reality tv" shows are scripted. Those people can replace the soap opera actresses and no one would even notice.

theparkman81
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
There is a soap opera on TV, that will never go away, and that is WWE Wrestling. LOL.

bluedogok
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
There is a soap opera on TV, that will never go away, and that is WWE Wrestling. LOL.
...or Nascar, the NFL, NBA, etc. The media tries to to create a soap opera out of everything. In other countries the soccer leagues (like the EPL), Formula 1 or MotoGP get the same soap opera treatment.

sacolton
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
The only soap opera I ever cared about was General Hospital with Luke & Laura when they were on the run.

venture
04-21-2011, 12:47 AM
...or Nascar, the NFL, NBA, etc. The media tries to to create a soap opera out of everything. In other countries the soccer leagues (like the EPL), Formula 1 or MotoGP get the same soap opera treatment.

Don't forget Weather Coverage in Oklahoma. :-P

PennyQuilts
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
The only soap opera I ever cared about was General Hospital with Luke & Laura when they were on the run.

You must be retired to remember that! <vbg>

OSUMom
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
I remember Luke and Laura!!!! My sister went all through 4 years of college without having a class at 2:00pm so she wouldn't miss GH!

All My Children was my very first soap to watch. Seems odd it is going to be gone.