View Full Version : HB 1686 - Eastern Flyer Task Force Passes in House and Senate

Hutch
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
On Monday, the Oklahoma Senate passed HB-1686, a bill to establish the Eastern Flyer Task Force to evaluate the feasibility of establishing passenger rail between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. The bill previously passed in the House. The bill now goes back to the House for final consideration and then hopefully on to Governor Fallin for final approval.

The Eastern Flyer Passenger Rail Development Task Force will look at passenger rail service restoration, using state of Oklahoma owned rail property between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. A 100-mile segment between Oklahoma City and Sapulpa was purchased from the BNSF Railway in 1997. The final 18 miles into downtown Tulsa is owned and operated by the BNSF Railway.

For more information on this effort, visit the Passenger Rail Oklahoma website:

Passenger Rail Oklahoma (http://www.passengerrailok.org/)

Kerry
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Now just take this SW to Lawton and phase 1 will be complete. As with other federal funding, I hope the State doesn't have all these plans with Amtrak in mind. AmTrak is not long for this world and the $1 billion in federal subsidies will be going away.

Hutch
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Now just take this SW to Lawton and phase 1 will be complete. As with other federal funding, I hope the State doesn't have all these plans with Amtrak in mind. AmTrak is not long for this world and the $1 billion in federal subsidies will be going away.

Like the Oklahoma City metro through ACOG, the Tulsa metro through INCOG is developing plans for a regional rail transit system. At some point in the future when both OKC and Tulsa have established their own regional tranist authorities and rail transit systems, I could see the two RTA's coordinating to fund and operate regional commuter rail service between OKC and Tulsa.

Kerry
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I would still like to see them include Lawton as a top priority in any state-wide rail system. Ft. Sill has 10s of thousands soldiers and family that would love to have access to better shopping and entertainment options. A connector system to Altus would also bring people in for the weekend. I'll bet there would be more demand from Lawton than from Tulsa.

venture
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I would still like to see them include Lawton as a top priority in any state-wide rail system. Ft. Sill has 10s of thousands soldiers and family that would love to have access to better shopping and entertainment options. A connector system to Altus would also bring people in for the weekend. I'll bet there would be more demand from Lawton than from Tulsa.

You probably aren't that far off. Perhaps an option would be the creation of an intermodal hub at Will Rogers to allow rail and air to connect. If the trains are schedule appropriately, they would be packed with military travelers needing to get to OKC to fly out.

Kerry
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
You probably aren't that far off. Perhaps an option would be the creation of an intermodal hub at Will Rogers to allow rail and air to connect. If the trains are schedule appropriately, they would be packed with military travelers needing to get to OKC to fly out.

The rail from Lawton is the same line that goes right by WRWA. It is a natural. From Lawton the tracks go to Altus (home to several thousand other military personnel and families).

ljbab728
04-12-2011, 10:39 PM

I agree with that idea, but one drawback is why would civic leaders in Lawton and Altus support something like that which would send people to OKC for shopping and entertainment. It's not like OKC to Tulsa which would generate a lot of traffic both ways.

Spartan
04-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Extending rail down to Lawton is a possibility, and I do think Lawton would welcome anything that cuts down on its relative isolation. But going further to Altus is a no-go. That's a dot on a map that I'm curious why you think it needs rail service? Is it because of military influence there, which is special and needs access to OKC for some reason? Keep in mind they don't pay state taxes. What about Enid or McAlister? There is virtually nothing in between Lawton and Altus, and it's another hour to the west. Altus itself has 21,000 residents.

Doesn't sound like a strong rail candidate to me. Furthermore, I really think in order for passenger rail from OKC and Tulsa to be attractive it does really need to offer access to destinations beyond the state line. OKC and Tulsa could generate a decent amount of riders, obviously, but it goes without saying that both OKC and Tulsa have rail needs beyond each other. Having access to the national AmTrak routes to the north, meeting up in either KC or STL, and to the south meeting up in Ft. Worth, would be a huge benefit.

OKC needs to develop more access to the rest of the country. That will be important for growth.

Larry OKC
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM
I agree with that idea, but one drawback is why would civic leaders in Lawton and Altus support something like that which would send people to OKC for shopping and entertainment. It's not like OKC to Tulsa which would generate a lot of traffic both ways.

Understand what you are saying but do those cities have roadblocks set up, only allowing people into the city but not letting anyone out? Seem to recall the Mayor using the same reasoning when he said he wasn't high on the idea of rail lines to the burbs (why make it easier for OKCitians to travel to Edmond or Norman?) Forgetting that it is a two-way rail (maybe Norman and Edmond residents might want to come to OKC).

Kerry
04-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Understand what you are saying but do those cities have roadblocks set up, only allowing people into the city but not letting anyone out? Seem to recall the Mayor using the same reasoning when he said he wasn't high on the idea of rail lines to the burbs (why make it easier for OKCitians to travel to Edmond or Norman?) Forgetting that it is a two-way rail (maybe Norman and Edmond residents might want to come to OKC).

Larry - that quote from the Mayor was about OKC spending the money to put in rail service to the burbs. My plan would have to come from the State.

Why would Lawton want rail? They would want it for the same reason they wanted I-44 or any other state road. It would be good for their businesses and residents. Right now Lawton has an airport but tickets are crazy expensive and they only go to DFW where people have to wait a few more hours. A connection to WRWA would give them access to cheaper fares and shorter wait times.

As for Altus; I lived in Altus for about year and a lot of people worked in Lawton and a lot of people who worked in Altus lived in Lawton. If you wanted access to anything other than Wal-Mart you had to drive to Lawton to get it. The Lawton-Altus route isn't about Altus to OKC, it is about Altus to Lawton. The railroad already exists and it is used by one freight train a day so capacity is there.

I am not talking about hourly service between Altus and Lawton 18 hours a day, but maybe 4 trains day timed to allow connecting service to and from OKC (and by train I mean it would probably be a single-car DMU). If there are tracks from Enid and McAlester to either OKC or Tulsa then by all means include them also.

Here is a single-car DMU in Italy. This is what I would run between Lawton and Altus 4 times a day. In fact, this is what all tier 3 cities in Oklahoma would get, except they would probably be newer.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2766046794_3dd87e6c6f.jpg

This is what I would run between Lawton/OKC/Tulsa

http://www.newrails.org/images/dmu.jpg

Kerry
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Here is a proposal in Wisconsin for the very type of system I am suggesting for Oklahoma.

http://www.newrails.org/about.php

ljbab728
04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kerry;421327]
[FONT=Verdana]Why would Lawton want rail? They would want it for the same reason they wanted I-44 or any other state road. It would be good for their businesses and residents. Right now Lawton has an airport but tickets are crazy expensive and they only go to DFW where people have to wait a few more hours. A connection to WRWA would give them access to cheaper fares and shorter wait times.

Kerry, I'm not opposed to rail service but providing better access to WRWA is a questionable reason considering the connection by turnpike would likely be just as fast if not faster than rail and flexible compared to what would be a rigid rail service with limited departure times.

Larry OKC
04-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Kerry, that is true and I agree OKC taxpayers shouldn't be paying for a line to Edmond (but they should pay for the part that touches Edmond, then let Edmond pay for the part that is in their city limits). Each entity paying for their share of it. If parts are not in either, the county or state should pay. But the underlying argument is the same, the Mayor didn't like the idea of making it easier for OKCitians to travel to Edmond etc (again forgetting it isn't a one way line).

Hutch
04-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Kerry, that is true and I agree OKC taxpayers shouldn't be paying for a line to Edmond (but they should pay for the part that touches Edmond, then let Edmond pay for the part that is in their city limits). Each entity paying for their share of it. If parts are not in either, the county or state should pay. But the underlying argument is the same, the Mayor didn't like the idea of making it easier for OKCitians to travel to Edmond etc (again forgetting it isn't a one way line).

A common funding mechanism for rail transit systems within a metropolitan area is through the establishment of a regional transit district "RTD" and a permanent, dedicated funding source, such as sales tax, for the district. The district is laid out to cover the full extent of the future system and crosses city and county jurisdictional boundaries. Approval of the funding requires a referendum vote of those living within the limits of the RTD. An appointed or elected regional transit authority "RTA" governs the RTD and operates the system. Denver RTD is a great example.

Denver RTD (http://www.rtd-denver.com/SystemInfo.shtml)

In our case, the RTD would most likely cover parts of Oklahoma City, Edmond, Norman, Midwest City, Del City, Moore and Yukon. The revenues required to build and operate the system would essentially be shared proportionally based on the extent that the district overlays parts of each city.

The idea that a rail transit system will somehow cause people to favor the suburbs and be detrimental to Oklahoma City is not born out when you look at other metropolitan areas that have already developed rail transit systems. If anything, the development of an effective rail transit system would bring more residential development to downtown, as it attracts transit-favoring urbanites to live in the core.

There are currently 6-lane interstates leading out of Oklahoma City to Edmond, Norman, Midwest City and Yukon that can carry one hundred thousand cars a day or more. In comparison, the daily ridership for a future commuter rail system may be 5,000-10,000 per day. If the idea is to keep people from leaving Oklahoma City for the suburbs, rail transit is the least of the worries.

In addition, for every Oklahoma City resident who would take a train to Norman or Edmond for entertainment or shopping, as many or more would take a train to Oklahoma City for entertainment or shopping. Clearly, the tracks do run in both directions.

Hopefully our political and business leaders now have a much better understanding of the significant economic and transportation benefits that a regional rail transit system provides for a metropolitan area, both for the core and the suburbs, and have finally moved beyond that kind of thinking.

Kerry
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Kerry, I'm not opposed to rail service but providing better access to WRWA is a questionable reason considering the connection by turnpike would likely be just as fast if not faster than rail and flexible compared to what would be a rigid rail service with limited departure times.

Clearly an initial system would have limited service times and might not even be available during certian days of the week but $4 per gallon gas is here and it is only going to get more expensive. Many people in SW Oklahoma drive pick-up trucks that get poor milage. I'm not suggesting they get rid of them becasue many of them need/want them for their daily living so suggesting they buy a new car so monthly trips to OKC are more affordable is crazy (I know you aren't suggesting that but a certain other person has). Heck, I live in an urbanized area and even I need a truck to pull a 6,000 lb trailer and make trips to Lowes and The Home Depot.

All I am suggesting is a starter system and as demand grows the frequency can be increased. I haven't done the calculations but right now I am thinking maybe 10 trains a day between Lawton and maybe 18 trains a day between OKC and Tulsa. Timing would have to be such that connections between Tulsa and Lawton could be made in OKC. For example:

Lawton Departure to OKC
6:45AM - Arrive OKC at 8AM
8:30AM - Arrive OKC at 9:45AM
1:30PM - Arrive OKC at 2:45PM
5:00PM - Arrive OKC at 6:45PM
7:30PM - Arrive OKC at 8:15PM

OKC Departures to Lawton
6:45AM - Arrive Lawton at 8AM
8:30AM - Arrive Lawton at 9:45AM
12:00PM - Arrive Lawton at 1:15PM
5:00PM - Arrive OKC at 6:45PM
7:30PM - Arrive OKC at 8:15PM

As you can see, this is 10 trains a day between Lawton and OKC (5 each way). Since the trains would be small (duall-car DMU), capacity would only be about 1,000 seats per day each way. That should be more than enough to meet early demand. Of course Tulsa would have more frequency but the trains would be the same size intially.

Back to the Lawton schedule; connecting serivce to Altus, Snyder, Duncan, and Wichita Falls would be possible and would pobably be just three single-car DMU as day (morning, noon, afternoon). It isn't perfect but it is a start.

Uncle Slayton
04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Something like this is way overdue for Norman - OKC. I'm about 50 cents a gallon from taking the Sooner Express to commute to downtown OKC, but a train would be a much better way to get that done. You already have Amtrack through there once a day, what's the impediment? Just sayin...

Kerry
04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Something like this is way overdue for Norman - OKC. I'm about 50 cents a gallon from taking the Sooner Express to commute to downtown OKC, but a train would be a much better way to get that done. You already have Amtrack through there once a day, what's the impediment? Just sayin...

The problem is that the railroad from Norman to OKC is already a heavily used freight track. Any train station that will have a fair number of people standing around will need to be moved away from the main freight tracks. The OKC to Tulsa route is already owned by the state and the OKC to Lawton route is not used very much, and I think it is also owned by the state. Suburban OKC and Tulsa will probably require new dedicated track to be laid.

Railroad map of Oklahoma:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/railroad/2009/pdfs/rail-cover.pdf
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/railroad/2009/pdfs/rail-map.pdf

BoulderSooner
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
The problem is that the railroad from Norman to OKC is already a heavily used freight track. Any train station that will have a fair number of people standing around will need to be moved away from the main freight tracks. The OKC to Tulsa route is already owned by the state and the OKC to Lawton route is not used very much, and I think it is also owned by the state. Suburban OKC and Tulsa will probably require new dedicated track to be laid.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/railroad/2009/pdfs/rail-cover.pdf
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv/p-r-div/maps/railroad/2009/pdfs/rail-map.pdf

this...... the OKC to norman route would be great to be served by a future light rail .. with stops in south okc, moore, north norman, and OU

Kerry
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Light-rail or DMU?

BoulderSooner
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Light-rail or DMU?

well it could be either .. it just needs to have its own track IMHO light rail makes the most sense

Kerry
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
well it could be either .. it just needs to have its own track IMHO light rail makes the most sense

What route would a light-rail line take from OKC to Norman?

blangtang
04-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Connecting OKC via Amtrak to both Tulsa and Newton KS would be like totally amazing. Also on a different note, it would be amazing if Cotpa ran a weekend service between Norman and OKC. I've been waiting for that one over a decade and have seen no progress, not even a OU Game Day bus or commuter train or something similar from OKC to Norman

One time in the early 2000s i was in Denver and looked into riding Amtrak to OKC. It would have taken like 84 hours or some ridiculously similar time and route, first by going to Kansas City then saint louis. from st louis it would be like another day down to ft worth, and then up the deadend route to OKC. If you look at the overall amtrak route map its actually pretty remarkable that OKC even has Amtrak service.

Kerry
04-16-2011, 07:48 PM
blangtang - your Amtrak story is the very reason Amtrak needs to go away and be replaced by state run rail systems. I looked in to taking Amtrak from Jacksonville to Atlanta (350 miles) and it was an 18 hour trip. I had to go to Charlotte, NC first then to Atlanta. If Florida and Georgia both had state run system they could have a transfer station here in Jacksonville or I could drive to Brunswick, GA and catch the train to Atlanta. It would have saved me 100,000 miles on my car in just 3 years.

Snowman
04-17-2011, 02:09 AM

The Union Pacific route to Yukon seems lightly used.

Kerry
04-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Just fun I have been putting together a sample system with times, stations and route maps. I am using the existing rail lines in the State with the assumption that new tracks won't be built and that the railroads will allow usage. I currently have the following lines mapped out.

The mainline is Lawton to Tulsa via OKC.

I have also have done the following:

Altus to Lawton
Woodward to OKC (via Enid)
Sayer to OKC
Marietta to OKC
Stillwater to Tulsa
Muskogee to Tulsa (via Broken Arrow)
Bartlesville to Tulsa

So far I have service to 76 stations is 74 towns across Oklahoma.

Platemaker
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Yes... I think people in Altus and Lawton would support this. Altus AFB, Ft. Sill, and Tinker would all be connected... that makes sense in so many additional ways.

Futhermore... seems like the people are forward thinking enough... In July 2008, 70% of Altus voters passed a 3/4 cent sales tax actually called MAPS. Part is doing awesome things for Altus High School (my high school) http://www.altusschools.k12.ok.us/district/index.php/ahs-construction-home

With the recreational draws of both Altus and Lawton (the Wichita Mountains to Quartz) it's a win-win for the SW Oklahoma region as well as people in the OKC or Tulsa metros.

Platemaker
04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
But going further to Altus is a no-go. That's a dot on a map that I'm curious why you think it needs rail service?

As an Altusian... OUCH.

Hutch
04-17-2011, 08:30 PM
HB 1686 has made final passage in the House and has been sent to Governor Fallin. The following is from the Passenger Rail Oklahoma website:

WAITING ON GOVERNOR FALLIN'S SIGNATURE ! ! !
HB-1686 IS ON HER DESK ! ! !
SEIZE THE MOMENT AND REQUEST HER SIGNATURE ! ! !

HB-1686, The Eastern Flyer Passenger Rail Development Task Force is now on Governor Fallin's desk. Once signed, the bill becomes law. Ensure this happens. Contact Governor Fallin's office immediately.

1) By Phone
2) By e-mail
3) By Snail Mail

Governor Mary Fallin
2300 N. Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
E-Mail/Contact Information (http://www.ok.gov/triton/contact.php?ac=247&id=223)

ljbab728
04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes... I think people in Altus and Lawton would support this. Altus AFB, Ft. Sill, and Tinker would all be connected... that makes sense in so many additional ways.

Futhermore... seems like the people are forward thinking enough... In July 2008, 70% of Altus voters passed a 3/4 cent sales tax actually called MAPS. Part is doing awesome things for Altus High School (my high school) http://www.altusschools.k12.ok.us/district/index.php/ahs-construction-home

With the recreational draws of both Altus and Lawton (the Wichita Mountains to Quartz) it's a win-win for the SW Oklahoma region as well as people in the OKC or Tulsa metros.

Platemaker, again I'm not opposed to rail at all. I can understand why many residents in both Altus and Lawton would support something like that but I still question whether it would be a two way street (or rail as the case may be). I don't see any relation with this issue and the sales tax support which is to be commended. There are some nice recreational areas in SW Oklahoma but it seems unlikely that anyone would take rail to that area to take advantage.

Kerry
04-18-2011, 05:51 AM
There is no doubt that a majority of ridership between Lawton and OKC would originate in Lawton but there is nothing wrong with that - a vast majority of the Heartland Flier riders originate in OKC and everyone hails it as a success.

Right now the State subsidizes the Heartland Flier about $2 million per year and the Tulsa route will also require a subsidy. I would rather take that money and created an Oklahoma Rail Network and drop Amtrak all together.

Kerry
04-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I have completed my first pass at a state-wide rail system map. I made it under the assumption that new rail will not be laid and that the railroads will allow use of the tracks. I also found a lot of abandoned railroad right-of-way around the state but I don’t know the legal status of it or if it can re-developed.

Since this is a complete system I still have some work to do on creating a phase schedule and possible out of state connections.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKRail.jpg

swilki
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Kerry - great idea, one question. Why are there so many towns with service? Wouldn't it be more efficient to leave out say Elgin, Fletcher, Cyrill and Cement and just have stops in Lawton and Chickasha???? Couldn't the folks in those towns make the 10-20 mile drive to one of those stations?

I think you lose the speed and efficiency of a train system if you stop in every town along the route. Just like we need a train that goes from OKC to Ft. Worth without stopping. It would be quicker than driving and therefore more people would be apt to take the train.

Kerry
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Kerry - great idea, one question. Why are there so many towns with service? Wouldn't it be more efficient to leave out say Elgin, Fletcher, Cyrill and Cement and just have stops in Lawton and Chickasha???? Couldn't the folks in those towns make the 10-20 mile drive to one of those stations?

I think you lose the speed and efficiency of a train system if you stop in every town along the route. Just like we need a train that goes from OKC to Ft. Worth without stopping. It would be quicker than driving and therefore more people would be apt to take the train.

This is just the route map; I am working on a sample schedule. The only cities that would have scheduled stops are the ones with the large circles (this is due to connecting service). The smaller stations would only have a stop if someone wanted on or off - otherwise the train would just go right by. The system will include both express service and local service so between OKC and Lawton, for example, there would be non-stop express trains and local service. An express train from Lawton to OKC wouldn't stop while the local service would stop at any station necessary. If no one is getting on or off in Elgin the local train doesn't stop either.

Express serive would only run between Lawton - OKC - Tulsa. Everything else would be local (unless there was connecting serive to Wichita, Little Rock, Kansas City, Springfield, Amarillo, or Dallas).

swilki
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I like it!!!

Hutch
04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Governor Fallin signed HB 1686 today...an important first step in restoring passenger rail service between Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

Kerry
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Governor Fallin signed HB 1686 today...an important first step in restoring passenger rail service between Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

Thanks for keeping us informed Hutch.

Snowman
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
I have completed my first pass at a state-wide rail system map. I made it under the assumption that new rail will not be laid and that the railroads will allow use of the tracks. I also found a lot of abandoned railroad right-of-way around the state but I don’t know the legal status of it or if it can re-developed.

Since this is a complete system I still have some work to do on creating a phase schedule and possible out of state connections.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKRail.jpg

Over 90% of Oklahoma's population lies within 25 miles of the Tulsa to Lawton line, with the exception of the line that continues on to Texas or is within metropolitan areas of OKC's & Tulsa's, every other route seems unlikely to be anything close to break even.

Kerry
04-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Over 90% of Oklahoma's population lies within 25 miles of the Tulsa to Lawton line, with the exception of the line that continues on to Texas or is within metropolitan areas of OKC's & Tulsa's, every other route seems unlikely to be anything close to break even.

I'll keep that in mind when planning schedules. The Lawton/OKC/Tulsa route will have the fastest trains with the most frquent service. The rest of the system will consist of lower speed and less costly single-car DMU's. Keep in mind that this is just the route map, not the schedule. Just because Caddo and Bartlesville both have a dot on the map doesn't means they are going to get the same level of service.

kevinpate
04-22-2011, 06:47 AM

I'm neither surprised nor displeased, though I do marvel somewhat that this issue, in these budget times, sailed through a highly conservative legislature and governor as smoothly as it did.

Hutch
04-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Just received this...

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PASSENGER RAIL OKLAHOMA
RE: Governor Fallin Signs OK-HB-1686 The Eastern Flyer Passenger Rail Development Task Force
DATE: APRIL 21, 2011

Evan Stair
Executive Director
Passenger Rail Oklahoma
517 Claremont
Norman, OK 73069
www.PassengerRailOK.org

(Oklahoma City) - Governor Mary Fallin signed Eastern Flyer Passenger Rail Development Task Force legislation today. The bill, authored by State Representative Richard Morrissette (D)-Oklahoma City and State Senator Brian Crain (R)-Tulsa, will examine conventional, 80 mph, passenger rail operations between Oklahoma City and Tulsa, as well as High Speed Rail, currently under study by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT).

The legislation is unique in that the Oklahoma task force will study passenger rail development using a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) foundation. PPPs are endorsed by the bi-partisan National Conference of State Legislatures (www.ncsl.org). Further, the task force will rely upon a diverse cross-section of Oklahoma government and citizens including two appointees from the Executive Branch, four members of the legislature, and one director or designee from each; ODOT, Department of Commerce, Corporation Commission, Tourism, and the Department of Environmental Quality. Most unique is the opportunity for six citizens to serve on the task force as selected by the House Speaker and State Senate President Pro Tempore. The Task Force will hold its first meeting within 90 days of sine die adjournment and will produce a final report within 18 months.

The PPP model will expand upon normal state DOT planning practices. In essence, the task force will broaden the spectrum of potential stakeholders, allowing Oklahoma business and citizens to make decisions affecting Oklahoma's transportation future: i.e. their future. PPP formulas will also provide a different funding model than is customary. The PPP promises to lighten taxpayer burden while shifting some risk and benefit to the private sector. Not only will the rail transportation service delivery method be scrutinized, but also the potential economic benefits of the service beyond-the-farebox.

The conventional route to be studied includes some state owned property. In the late 1990's the state purchased some 100 miles of railroad from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway between Oklahoma City and Sapulpa. This portion of the route is currently operated under lease by a shortline freight rail carrier. The remaining 18 miles to Tulsa Union Depot is owned by the BNSF Railway. ODOT recently began construction of a new I-244 multi-modal bridge that will include a lower deck. The lower deck will accommodate two tracks one of which could potentially be used in lieu of the present BNSF Railway bridge.

"Passenger Rail Oklahoma membership is highly pleased with the Governor's decision," stated Evan Stair, Executive Director, Passenger Rail Oklahoma. "We also recognize the leadership shown by Representative Morrissette and Senator Crain, who put aside partisan differences, and worked together on this landmark legislation. This is an exciting time for Oklahomans and is the culmination of years of efforts by our membership. Hundreds of Oklahomans, including Tulsa City Councilman Rick Westcott, were instrumental in what transpired today. I am honored to have worked with so many concerned Oklahomans."

Representative Morrissette began the process of drafting this legislation in October 2010 through an Interim Study on Passenger Rail Expansion. Legislative and transportation experts from Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Amtrak met at the state Capitol in October of 2011 to discuss regional passenger rail challenges and opportunities. The result has been to formalize the process through this task force that promises to deliver a comprehensive economic overview of and recommendations for state passenger rail investments.

--------------------
Join Passenger Rail Oklahoma... Just e-mail sfrr@aol.com to be placed on our e-mail list...
--------------------
For More Information and the latest Oklahoma Passenger Rail News...
Web: http://www.PassengerRailOK.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/NorthFlyerOrg
Facebook: Oklahoma Texas Kansas Passenger Rail

Larry OKC
04-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm neither surprised nor displeased, though I do marvel somewhat that this issue, in these budget times, sailed through a highly conservative legislature and governor as smoothly as it did.

Well, they didn't commit to anything really, just studying it at this point, right?

ljbab728
04-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, they didn't commit to anything really, just studying it at this point, right?

That's what i get from it, Larry. I guess it's a start but nothing to jump up and down about. I don't know what the cost is of the study so I'm not sure if it is a surprise to be passed or not.

Kerry
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I wish this group would just drop Amtrak from the whole thing and just run it as a state entity. How much does Amtrak contribute to the operation of the current Heartland Flier? I think Texas and Oklahoma pick up the whole bill and Amtrak just provides the train.

Snowman
04-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I wish this group would just drop Amtrak from the whole thing and just run it as a state entity. How much does Amtrak contribute to the operation of the current Heartland Flier? I think Texas and Oklahoma pick up the whole bill and Amtrak just provides the train.

I was thinking that the state subsidies are somewhere around 5 million out of something like 50 million overall costs, but it has been a long time since I have seen the figures so could be thinking of something else.

Kerry
04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Oklahoma spends $2 million per year on the Heartland Flier. I don't know what Texas spends. However, I do know Amtrak is about as inefficient as a business can be. They need to be taken out of the loop.

CaptDave
04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Heck I think it would be cool (and possibly profitable) for Amtrak to run its high speed Acela from Tulsa to OKC to Dallas. I know they require electric cantenaries but I think they can run along lines that are built not quite to the same standard for turn radius as TGV type HSR. So maybe the state owned Tulsa - OKC line could be adapted for the Acela?

Kerry
04-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Heck I think it would be cool (and possibly profitable) for Amtrak to run its high speed Acela from Tulsa to OKC to Dallas. I know they require electric cantenaries but I think they can run along lines that are built not quite to the same standard for turn radius as TGV type HSR. So maybe the state owned Tulsa - OKC line could be apated for the Acela?

The problem with the line between Tulsa and OKC is two fold. 1. It has a lot turns, and 2. It has about a million at-grade crossings. I think the top speed is limited to 74 mph (but don't ask me why I think that). Any attempt at true HSR is going to have to be along the turnpike right of way.

CaptDave
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Ok - I hoped maybe the Tulsa-OKC line was mostly straight and within the requirements for Acela. Would have been nice to not need to start from scratch with rail construction.

Superhyper
04-27-2011, 09:47 AM
The current line between okc-tulsa is very snake-like, but the State owns that rail (up to Sapulpa) and can do whatever it wants with it. It's not at the mercy of companies like BNSF as it is in a lot of other places (OKC-FW).

Kerry
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
The current line between okc-tulsa is very snake-like, but the State owns that rail (up to Sapulpa) and can do whatever it wants with it. It's not at the mercy of companies like BNSF as it is in a lot of other places (OKC-FW).

It doesn't get much mention but I think the state also owns the same line between OKC and Lawton. There is also another rail line from Sapulpa to downtown Tulsa that is owned by the Tulsa Sapulpa Union Railway company. As you get close to downtown most of the rail is missing but the right of way is still there.