View Full Version : News 9

aintaokie
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that NEWS 9 here in OKC reports more happenings in the Tulsa area vs Oklahoma City metro? Has anyone else noticed this?

TaoMaas
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't watch much local news these days, but I suspect you're right. They also own KOTV in Tulsa, so they're probably sharing stories between the two stations as a way to fill newscasts without adding more personnel.

cjohnson.405
04-11-2011, 06:58 PM
At least they are not reporting murders in california and stabbings in portland ala KFOR. That place is bloodthirsty and has a horrible reputation amongst PR people and former KFOR employees.

BBatesokc
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
At least they are not reporting murders in california and stabbings in portland ala KFOR. That place is bloodthirsty and has a horrible reputation amongst PR people and former KFOR employees.

They also have a reputation as a ratings leader.

Dustin
04-12-2011, 01:49 AM
KFOR needs to update their set asap.. It's so outdated.. They modernized the "4" logo, now they need to modernize their set.

cjohnson.405
04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
They also have a reputation as a ratings leader.

True....and an unfortunate indicator of our humanity.

BBatesokc
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
I'd be more concerned about humanity if we didn't care about what was going on outside our bubble. In all honesty, anyone who values 'news' no longer waits to get it in 10 second clips at 7am, noon, 5pm and 10pm.

If it isn't blood and gore on one station, then its fluff and filler on another.

Plutonic Panda
10-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Kind of sad as I thought it was cool, but they do kind of clutter the city. I know some people who like them as it is a part of history. I suspect(and I've been meaning to start a thread about this), as we are seeing new vehicles being eqquiped with mobile networks/internet, terrestrial radio will be phased out soon and all of these towers will begin to disappear. That's my guess though.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Deconstruction work has officially begun at the historic broadcast tower at KWTV News 9 in Oklahoma City, Tuesday morning.
At about 9:30 a.m., the antenna at the very top of the tower was removed. The entire deconstruction process will take about four weeks to complete.

The broadcast tower at KWTV News 9 once held a pretty impressive world record. The tower stands at more than 1,572 feet tall, around 300 feet higher than the Empire State Building, making it at one time the world's tallest manmade structure.

- Deconstruction Work Begins At KWTV's Historic Broadcast Tower - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/26845445/deconstruction-work-begins-at-kwtvs-historic-broadcast-tower)

bchris02
10-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Yeah I am sad that its coming down. The antenna farm will look pretty different without it.

Terrestrial radio/video will never completely disappear as long as you have to pay for alternative services. I use an over the air antenna to supplement streaming services because it isn't worth it for me to shell out hundreds per month for Cox TV service.

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Yeah I am sad that its coming down. The antenna farm will look pretty different without it.

Terrestrial radio/video will never completely disappear as long as you have to pay for alternative services. I use an over the air antenna to supplement streaming services because it isn't worth it for me to shell out hundreds per month for Cox TV service.Well, I was thinking about free internet radio. I get that you will still have to pay for a data plan, but I bet that will be tied into cell phone carriers and it seems data plans are going to get cheaper. I pay $35 for 10GB of data from Verizon.

RIVERRAT99
10-22-2014, 10:23 PM
KFOR will be updating everything in about a year after a new building is built next to the old one.

Plutonic Panda
10-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Historic Oklahoma City television tower is coming down | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/historic-oklahoma-city-television-tower-is-coming-down/article/5359596)

RealJimbo
11-04-2014, 07:59 AM
KWTV and KOTV are both owned by Griffin. Ever notice that KFOR and KOCO both seem to ignore Tulsa? At least those who move back and forth between OKC and Tulsa - and there are quite a few - have one local source in each town to keep in touch with their hometown news.