View Full Version : OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

dankrutka
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Driving to Dallas from OKC will cost you between $40-100 in gas, 6 hours of time, at least $20 in parking... The savings on a flight would have to be quite a bit to make it worth it. It might be worth it for a 5 member family where there is a $75 savings for every person, but that has to be rare.

Bellaboo
10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I just flew to DFW, Hounslow UK, Rome, Madrid, Chicago then OKC....... after running through these massive airports to catch connections, I just love our little airport that's so easy and adequate.

venture
10-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I kinda laugh when people call our airport little. Yeah compared to DFW it is, but get back north and east to where there are more cities with air service and we actually have a very good sized one.

CaptDave
10-25-2011, 03:05 PM
It is very nice since the huge remodel also. It is one of the nicer airports aesthically regardless of size I have seen in a while.

brianinok
10-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I have several friends in the OKC metro area who drive to DFW consistently for flights to the coasts or international (even if there is not a non-stop from DFW). They use it as a way to visit family/friends in the Dallas area and talk about saving money (even though they really don't). They also talk about non-stops and easier connections for international.

I just don't get it. If they are flying to Rome, for instance, they drive to DFW where they catch a late morning / early afternoon flight to JFK, then a flight to Rome that evening. They could just as cheaply and even easier catch a late morning / early afternoon flight from OKC to ORD and then an evening flight to FCO.

I think it's just in their heads that's it's cheaper/easier. And they don't use travel agents. This thinking must be from a time when their parents where their age and OKC did not have the air service it does now. We have flights to pretty much all major hubs except JFK, LGA, MIA, and the US Airways hubs. If they actually would take into account the driving time, cost, hassle, ticket price differential, etc. I think it would happen less. But I promise it happens more that some on here think. The single 20 and 30-something especially do it a lot.

Bellaboo
10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
I booked a round trip from OKC to FCO. It cost 997.00 per ticket. I priced the DFW round trip to Rome and it was 996.00. The times were comparable, but I only paid 48.00 for parking at OKC without the drive time, fuel cost and parking at DFW. I like the easy security check in at our airport, then once in the system it's easy to navigate the rest of the trip.

venture
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Also if you are frequent flyer...more segments the better normally, unless you actually can reach elite status through the mileage.

OUman
10-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I maybe nitpicking but "little" is a relative term when it comes to airports. Sure, the terminal maybe smaller than at other airports but at 8,000+ acres, it's anything but little. OKC is larger in land area than ATL-that's something to consider. In fact it's one of the top 10 in land area in the U.S.

And yep, unless people realize that their basically wasting time and money by driving all the way to DFW and back, we won't get to 4 million/yr. Use it or lose it, especially these days.

Bellaboo
10-29-2011, 07:15 AM
I did the drive to DFW one time and never again. If you shop your airfare a bit, consider any added vacation time needed for driving to TX, the price point is a near wash all things considered. Plus the ease of terminal, security and check in access is quite the bonus at WWWA. We are fortunate for the simplicity that we have here.

damonsmuz
10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I am not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but did Delta/Skywest upgrade the afternoon flight to SLC for December from a CRJ700 to a -900? I was playing around with flights and could have swore it was a -700 when I 1st looked last week, then today, it was a -900... either that or I am just going crazy.

SkyWestOKC
10-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah it's a 900. I've heard more of our RJ's will move up to the -9.

OUman
11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
^Or upgrade to the EMB 175s/190s. I've seen DL Conxn operate those to/from both ATL and DTW from time to time.

SkyWestOKC
11-02-2011, 08:38 AM
We have 1 E175 that runs ATL-OKC-DTW everyday.

brianinok
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I was on an E175 last week. What a great rj! Plenty of room for people and luggage. You could even fit the smaller rolling suitcases in the overhead bins. I wish airlines would drop the E145 and the CRJ-200 (and even the -700) for more of these E175s! I prefer mainline, but when that isn't an option I'll be looking for an E175 from now on.

venture
11-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I was on an E175 last week. What a great rj! Plenty of room for people and luggage. You could even fit the smaller rolling suitcases in the overhead bins. I wish airlines would drop the E145 and the CRJ-200 (and even the -700) for more of these E175s! I prefer mainline, but when that isn't an option I'll be looking for an E175 from now on.

I think we'll see the trend go that way. Also with Bombardier working to get the C-Series launched here soon, the smaller RJs will be fading out. Of course the big issue with these are the price tags. Couple that with the inability to sell the 50-seaters they have now (no market), it'll take some time.

The next thing I would like to see is a new turboprop product put out there in the 19 to 70 seat market. The Dash 8 Q400 is a great aircraft, fast and roomy, but just too darn expensive. The ATR-72-600 (or is it 500 we are on?) isn't much better than the earlier versions. Just new engines and such.

SkyWestOKC
11-05-2011, 04:41 AM
From the ramp agent perspective, I much rather CRJs over Emb jets. From the passenger perspective, vice versa.

OUman
11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
The next thing I would like to see is a new turboprop product put out there in the 19 to 70 seat market. The Dash 8 Q400 is a great aircraft, fast and roomy, but just too darn expensive. The ATR-72-600 (or is it 500 we are on?) isn't much better than the earlier versions. Just new engines and such.

Yeah, the -600's the latest variant. It has more powerful engines (PW127M) which provide a 5% greater thermodynamic peformance for hot and high airports. I've read that there is a boost option which allows the plane to takeoff from airports like London City (LCY) with a full load and also has a 6-degree glideslope approach capability.

I've flown in the ATR 72-200 and the -500, and this past March I had my first opportunity in the Dash 8-Q400. While many people sing its praises, my opinion is I was not impressed by any means. Unless it's just Colgan that cannot maintain its Q400s properly, the Q400's propellers produce a constant drone in-flight, they're very loud on takeoff, and the entire cabin (the seats, tray tables and the ceiling) were vibrating during cruise. As in fast, rhythmical movements to the chord of the props. (I flew in it twice-OKC-IAH and again on IAH-OKC, both times I experienced the same thing, though to a somewhat lesser degree on the way back).

On the other hand in my experiences, aside from the -200, the ATR 72-500 (which I've flown in twice as well) has absolutely no vibrations in the cabin (even the -200 didn't), sounds much more like a jet in-flight, and has larger overhead bins. The Q400 has the same bins as the CRJs, so you have to gate-check larger roller carry-ons. Oh and did I mention while boarding the Q400, anyone taller than 5' has to duck while entering from a jetway?

venture
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Ahhh okay. I personally haven't had a chance to get on the Q400 yet. I have been on the older AT7s that Eagle had back in the day. Really wish the RJ fad didn't go completely extreme with the 30-50 seaters. A lot of cities/markets lost service because of their horrible economics and many routes would still be around today with lower costing, newer generation turboprops. An airport near where I grew up use to have 11-12 flights a day on Delta to Cincinnati...today, zero. RJs are just too expensive and destroyed short haul markets.

OUman
11-05-2011, 06:44 PM
^True that. You're not talking about Lexington are you? I read a story recently about it having about as many flights to/from CVG daily at one time.

I remember LAW having 5-6 daily flights back in the day with the Saabs and ATRs (Eagle), it lost those with the RJs for a while but now that the ATRs are back it's gained some flights.

The props are making a comeback though. Pinnacle even has a decent fleet of Q200s it has based at EWR for regional feeds.

SkyWestOKC
11-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Heard from a friend that we might be finally getting an OKC-Chicago Midway (MDW) flight. Schedules released tomorrow. Fingers crossed, hope he's right!

SkyWestOKC
11-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Actually, just found them posted right now. It is confirmed. Begins June 3, 2012.

SkyWestOKC
11-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Departs OKC at 1215pm return is arrives at 615pm

redrunner
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Which airline?

SkyWestOKC
11-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Southwest.

venture
11-13-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5305391/

There is the thread on a.net where they are discussing it. About freaking time.

A couple random things that will interest me...
- Will they pull a nonstop to Kansas City or St. Louis to make up for this - I wouldn't be shocked.
- Will this push AA to return mainline to ORD, or UA to introduce it - probably not unless WN goes to 2 or 3 a day.

ljbab728
11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Departs OKC at 1215pm return is arrives at 615pm

I'm sure this will be attractive but not so much with business travelers. They normally prefer early flights. The return schedule leaves at 4:15PM which isn't bad. I think the nonstop schedule will do well though. At this time they are not showing any downgrades to either Kansas City or St. Louis.

SkyWestOKC
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm sure this will be attractive but not so much with business travelers. They normally prefer early flights. The return schedule leaves at 4:15PM which isn't bad. I think the nonstop schedule will do well though. At this time they are not showing any downgrades to either Kansas City or St. Louis.

I'm optimistic, I think it will work. The times are decent for most travelers. Remember AA's OKC-LAX started as a 2pm arrival into OKC and a 3pm departure to LAX. It was well received and quickly got upgraded to 2 flights. Midday flights are a good medium for new markets. (technically it's a new market as Midway hasn't been served nonstop from what I can gather). It is a part of the larger Chicago market which has two main submarkets (ORD and MDW), though. Time will tell.

You are correct, the MCI and STL flights haven't been affected as of yet. Still trying to figure out where they are getting the airplane to do this flight from. We have had no additions or subtractions to make this flight work. The airplane won't RON in OKC, so the plane has to come from somewhere else. Unless they RON one of the other flights that normally rotates through and uses that "plane" to do this one, pushing the other flight to leave in the morning. For example, the MDW flight will use the BWI flights normal airplane (normally from DAL) and they change the BWI times to make it stay overnight (RON).

venture
11-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Just to toss this in there. I have it on extremely good authority that US Airways will be revisiting the Great Lakes and Midwest starting in 2013. So we may yet see them return with flights going East instead of West...which would be very welcome. Not sure on where OKC is on the list, but many former US Airways markets are going to be targeted.

OUman
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I thought OK was considered South or Southwest U.S?

venture
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I thought OK was considered south or Southwest?

I really think it depends who you talk to. LOL

ljbab728
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
http://newsok.com/southwest-airlines-adds-round-trip-to-chicagos-midway-starting-this-summer/article/3623281?custom_click=headlines_widget

venture
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Looking at the latest frequency changes post on a.net, United will be axing 1 flight to both Denver and Chicago in March.

damonsmuz
11-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Routes that WON'T AND WILL be at KOKC within 5 years.

I'm trying to think of which routes we won't see here in OKC within 5 years. Something tells me that Memphis will become the next CVG in Delta's system. Keep a few routes, but many cuts likely. I expect that OKC-MEM will be gone.

Maybe an added flight to Washington-Dulles. EWR seems to be maxed out on slots and IAD has more room for growth for United. Maybe Cleveland gets axed and flights shift to IAD, making IAD more important for United

Not sure if AA sees much change...

USAir returns to OKC... flights to PHX and CLT. (FINGERS CROSSED)

Southwest flights to ATL.

Thoughts? Ideas?

OUman
11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Hopefully we get a daily between here and SEA, and MDW goes to double dailies. If US Airways Express returns it will likely be to/from CLT.

Oh and MCO will be tried again and will no doubt fail again.

ljbab728
11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe Cleveland gets axed

That already happened long ago from OKC.

Southwest has cut back service to PHX so there might be room for USAir to move back into that market. Another one I would like is OKC to PHL or PIT by USAir giving a lot of options for connections in the NE.

This doesn't affect OKC so much directly but certainly affects destinations for OKC passengers.

http://news.yahoo.com/airlines-cut-small-jets-fuel-prices-soar-161057500.html

venture
11-25-2011, 11:20 PM
PIT wouldn't be an option. US has scaled that operation way back. It is really PHL, CLT, or PHX and that is it.

ljbab728
11-26-2011, 12:18 AM
PIT wouldn't be an option. US has scaled that operation way back. It is really PHL, CLT, or PHX and that is it.

I agree, PHL would be better than PIT if only due to proximity to the NE. CLT doesn't add much.

damonsmuz
11-26-2011, 03:07 AM
JibJab: I know Cleveland got axed, what I am saying is that within the new merger of United/Continental, I see Cleveland getting the boot and with EWR maxed out on slots it seems, that the company would shift a lot of their operations to IAD which has room for more growth.

ljbab728
11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
JibJab: I know Cleveland got axed, what I am saying is that within the new merger of United/Continental, I see Cleveland getting the boot and with EWR maxed out on slots it seems, that the company would shift a lot of their operations to IAD which has room for more growth.

Well excuse me, demons. If that's what you meant, why didn't you say that? I certainly couldn't tell by the post you made. When you say what you mean I agree with you.

MDot
11-26-2011, 11:54 AM
LOL JibJab and Demons. You two were meant for each other. LOL

damonsmuz
11-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Jibbers: It's all cool... just pay more attention next time :)

rayhurst
11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd much rather see AA or Jetblue to JFK/LGA. I tried to book a round trip OKC-EWR non-stop on Continental and it was $1200 a month out! A little competition to lower the price and another option to the largest city in the US would be a welcome addition.

venture
11-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd much rather see AA or Jetblue to JFK/LGA. I tried to book a round trip OKC-EWR non-stop on Continental and it was $1200 a month out! A little competition to lower the price and another option to the largest city in the US would be a welcome addition.

I'm really shocked AA or DL haven't looked at starting New York as well. CO did start out with 2 flights a day but quickly cut it to 1. I think it is just going to be a very thin, but high yielding route.

SkyWestOKC
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Some news from the UA/CO front:

Starting on February 16, 2012 Continental will add a mainline (737-500) to Houston, replacing one RJ. United will add one more mainline (A320) to Denver. Total of 3 mainline flights. Not sure how firm their schedule is past Mar 1, but after that it all (the new additions) goes away; most likely a dummy schedule taking over at that point. I bet when they release the Mar- schedule it will also include those changes.

venture
11-28-2011, 12:56 AM
For those who like Southwest and interested in where OKC ranks in their network, here is a thread on A.net that compares all of the WN stations post-Air Tran merger.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5317220/

OKC is ranked 47th out of 110 (which will go down as they close more stations) with 22 scheduled flights for next summer.

SkyWestOKC
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
New Domestic air fare data was released for 2nd Quarter 2011. OKC numbers really are starting to look good in certain markets.

Here is the original data:
http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/domfares/table6112.csv

I compiled passenger number data applicable to OKC. Note, this doesn't contain yield, market share, fare data, or other data -- just the total average passengers in a certain market. For example, 25 passengers per day between ABC and DEF means on the average day, 25 people will fly between those cities. A good average is to cut that number in half to get an average for "one-way" travel. I do not do that in my report, just the raw number rounded up or down to the nearest whole number. If you have Microsoft Excel, feel free to download. Google converted the document for web viewing. Read the remarks at the bottom of the file.

Here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7bU8ywtclw5MWY0MDFiNzItMWM5Zi00OWUxLWIwN DUtNjBmNzgyZmYxMGMy

SkyWestOKC
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Also would like to note, that that file is a work in progress. I have been going back through historical data back as far as it goes. I have gotten as far back as 2008, I plan to go back as far as the archives go by the end of the year, time permitting.

venture
12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Looks good! I've been wanting to put something like that together, but never have the time.

SkyWestOKC
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Looks like February/March Delta will replace the 2 MD88's to ATL with the first departure upgauging to a 737-800 and the second departure downgauged to a CRJ-900.

It will be a net capacity loss of 62 seats. Probably a right sizing though for that time of year. Adds additional capacity on the morning departure without having too much capacity. Summer we will probably gain the second mainline again.

BoulderSooner
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
88's replaced with anything is a plus

venture
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Well depends. Bringing back the 727-200s and replacing them with those would be a plus, the others are just a wash. Oh how I miss them. *sigh*

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/8/6/2/1596268.jpg

OUman
12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
^I've flown in both, the -88 and 722Adv. (727-200 Advanced for those who don't know aircraft codes). Personally I like them both, JT8Ds rock either way :D:kicking:.

On the subject of DL upgrading to a 738, I think this will be the first time since about '06 when DL last had a 738 between here and SLC.

BB37
12-14-2011, 07:39 PM

What's wrong with the MD88? I flew on two of 'em this week from OKC-ATL-MLB (where I am now), and will take two more back to OKC Friday night. Give me an MD88 to ANY RJ anytime.

venture
12-15-2011, 12:44 AM
^I've flown in both, the -88 and 722Adv. (727-200 Advanced for those who don't know aircraft codes). Personally I like them both, JT8Ds rock either way :D:kicking:.

On the subject of DL upgrading to a 738, I think this will be the first time since about '06 when DL last had a 738 between here and SLC.

I remember when the 727-200 was coded as 72S...737-200 was 73S...Oh the old days when you could get mainline flights into almost any city. LOL
Yeah it has been awhile since DL scheduled a 738 into OKC. Long over due IMO. Sucks we go down to just one mainline, but at least we aren't losing it all again.

What's wrong with the MD88? I flew on two of 'em this week from OKC-ATL-MLB (where I am now), and will take two more back to OKC Friday night. Give me an MD88 to ANY RJ anytime.

I like the Mad Dogs, Lawn Dart, whatever you want to call them. I would definitely agree they are better than being on an RJ. I just logged a few flights on the ERJs. They aren't horrible, but I would be crying if I didn't have exit row/bulkheads the entire time. I really wish they were used for their original purpose...new regional thin routes. Not medium-long range flights to hubs.

OUman
12-15-2011, 03:32 PM
^Yeah I remember the 72S/73S codes, used to appear on old flight trackers all the time. Along with 72Q for the "Quick Change" variant.

I don't have any issues with the RJs (especially after the past March's Q400 rides), but I can see how for people taller than me they would be annoying. On the other hand, mad acceleration anyone?

damonsmuz
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL60

Anyone know the reason for this heavy in OKC? I thought it may have been weather, but it's the only diversion into OKC and there wasn't much over DFW other than a few showers here and there.

SkyWestOKC
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, moment of truth is tomorrow.

Personally I do not think we will get any flights. Fingers are crossed though.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/15/idUS219260+15-Dec-2011+PRN20111215

venture
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL60

Anyone know the reason for this heavy in OKC? I thought it may have been weather, but it's the only diversion into OKC and there wasn't much over DFW other than a few showers here and there.

I wonder what that was flying really slow this afternoon. Figured it was just the AWACS up playing.

venture
12-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, moment of truth is tomorrow.

Personally I do not think we will get any flights. Fingers are crossed though.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/15/idUS219260+15-Dec-2011+PRN20111215

Yeah probably not. Which sucks because there are many cities that are more than capable of supporting service to New York that just get overlooked for the typical big hubs.

HOT ROD
12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
with the Thunder now a top 5 team, maybe DL will give OKC-LGA a chance??