View Full Version : Old Liberty Bank Building Slide (City Place)

RealJimbo
03-31-2011, 06:10 AM
Has this been addressed somewhere else here? Is there still a spiral fire escape slide down the center air shaft of the original Liberty Bank building downtown? Anyone else know about this?

Joe Kimball
03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Has this been addressed somewhere else here? Is there still a spiral fire escape slide down the center air shaft of the original Liberty Bank building downtown? Anyone else know about this?

That would be "City Place" these days. I know I learned of it here, but the search isn't so nice. As far as I know, it's still intact.

OSUMom
03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
It is intact.

bluedogok
04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
It was still intact and an "official fire escape" in 1993 when I worked in the building. We worked on a lighting project for the fire slide, I don't know if that project was ever done.

papaOU
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
That would be "City Place" these days. I know I learned of it here, but the search isn't so nice. As far as I know, it's still intact.

Top to bottom? Stops along the way?

OSUMom
04-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Top to bottom? Stops along the way?

I believe it goes from 32 on down, I don't think the very top floor is connected. And there is a doorway at each floor but I don't think there are landings or anything at the doors. I haven't actually seen the slide myself, just shown the door and told that was where the slide was. I've heard from people who have worked there a long time that in the summer people used to bring their kids there to go down the slide. That you could hear them screaming as they went down. I think it would be dark and full of spiders and bugs. I would rather take the stairs myself.

mburlison
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Definitely still there, working, intact ;).

yukong
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
My father worked in that building in the 60s and early 70s until the new Liberty (Chase) Tower was built. Every time I went up there to see him (on floor 31 I believe) I would ask him to let me slide down. He would always open the door and show it to me, but he would never let me slide down. The thing was nasty dirty then. I can only imagine that anyone that slide down would come out so completely dirty that it would take some of the fun out. It was a steel slide, so I would also wonder about joints and rivets. I believe it was located on the left side of the elevators on each floor. And then there was a door in the lobby that would open when you hit it. I was in the building about 5 years ago and it was still there. I would imagine it would be quite a ride from the 32nd floor.

Joe Kimball
04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
The thing was nasty dirty then. I can only imagine that anyone that slide down would come out so completely dirty that it would take some of the fun out. It was a steel slide, so I would also wonder about joints and rivets.

That's a similar thought process I had after the excitement of the thought of riding the slide died down.

I would hope that the rivets would be placed like they are (or were, maybe?) on playground slides, but 32 floors is a LONG way to check for slight defects that are only expected to be encountered when weighed against the possibility of Immediate Loss Of Life. I was sure we weren't speaking of a White Water slide, for example; the maintenance of which amazes me.

I'd like to request, if possible, some photos from anyone with so much as a camera phone of the door and maybe an interior shot from the doorway, if this is allowed?

yukong
04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm sure it would be allowed. If you can get access to any of the remaining public access floors, the door is to the left of the elevators as you face the elevators. It probably cannot be blocked as it is an emergency means of egress. As I recall, there was a light on the inside of the door on every floor. It should be pretty easy to get a pic.

OSUMom
04-14-2011, 06:24 PM
When the Interuban was still open they were told by building management to send customers up to the 6th floor to go to the bathroom. I don't know if the bank customers or if the new restaurant (if it ever opens up) are/will be told the same thing. What I don't know is if any type of alarm goes off if the door to the slide opens up.

Joe Kimball
05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I had told my friend what I had read of this fire escape earlier this year, and when my friend was talking to his downtown-employed sister this week and mentioned it, she was taken aback and asked him "how do you know about that?". Apparently it's still considered a bit of an "open secret" despite it being written of on Wikipedia and discussed in Judy's Book, where a couple of pictures can be found of the slide (a simple auger-looking thing, built around a pipe, that looks way too tight and steep to be amusing beyond a few floors).

I also found a column in the Oklahoman archives dedicated to the slide, and a comedic encounter with which. Apparently it was dusty even back circa February 17, 1937. The elevator also beat the slider down.

Joe Kimball
05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Also: an ad from 1931 in The Oklahoman praises the Logan fire escape slide in the Ramsey Tower and its safety.

The patent, if you like, can be read here (http://www.google.com/patents?id=gGFBAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=logan+fire+escape+slide&hl=en&ei=5WzDTfW4M8e4twea2eGeBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=logan%20fire%20escape%20slide&f=false).

metro
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
There is an old thread on here I started several years ago, including pics. I'll try to dig it up.

BB37
05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
IIRC, one of the local TV stations sent a guy with a video camera down it a few years ago. Hardly a secret...

Joe Kimball
05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
IIRC, one of the local TV stations sent a guy with a video camera down it a few years ago. Hardly a secret...

I agree, especially with all of its mention, but the impression I got was that she's acquainted with some people who would rather the public didn't know of it (in an attempt to keep it secure, I think). I'd love to see that video; is there a system in place by which citizens can hit up a local news station for a copy of a story from their archives? Also, any idea which station?

jdcf
05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
My memory is different.

One time several of us who worked at St. Anthony Hospital went to the buildiing that was the former First National Bank building and went down the inside, circular fire escape slide. We worked the 3-11 shift and did this one evening after work. We took sheets to sit on while we slid. So, does that building also have a similar circular fire escape slide being described at the liberty? This would have been in the late 1970's, perhaps 1976 or 1977. i am 99% positive that we slid in the first national bldg and not liberty.

bluedogok
05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
My memory is different.

One time several of us who worked at St. Anthony Hospital went to the buildiing that was the former First National Bank building and went down the inside, circular fire escape slide. We worked the 3-11 shift and did this one evening after work. We took sheets to sit on while we slid. So, does that building also have a similar circular fire escape slide being described at the liberty? This would have been in the late 1970's, perhaps 1976 or 1977. i am 99% positive that we slid in the first national bldg and not liberty.
CityPlace was originally the Liberty Bank building before they moved the bank and name to the Chase Tower in the mid-70's. I worked in the CityPlace building and the door to the slide was right at our entry, we also worked on a project to light the slide. There is no slide that I know of in the First National Bank building and one never showed up on drawings for a few projects that I did test fits for in there.

jdcf
05-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Bluedogok, and others, thank you. I am certainly going to have to change my story. You have convinced me that sliding down the fire escape was sure a lot of fun--in the Liberty Bank bldg! Take care all.

BB37
05-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree, especially with all of its mention, but the impression I got was that she's acquainted with some people who would rather the public didn't know of it (in an attempt to keep it secure, I think). I'd love to see that video; is there a system in place by which citizens can hit up a local news station for a copy of a story from their archives? Also, any idea which station?

Not sure, but I want to say Channel 9 (since that's the only local news station we ever watch).

brianinok
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Not sure, but I want to say Channel 9 (since that's the only local news station we ever watch).I think you're right. It was Alex Cameron as I recall.

Anyone know if one can go to, say, floor 3-6 and slide down without getting in trouble? I wouldn't want an alarm to sound upon opening of the door or for building security to kick you out.

jmarkross
06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Would make a great amusement ride...just need a lot of wax paper and gunney sacks to ride down on...Wheeeeee....

Prunepicker
07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I drove by the old Liberty location on Friday night. The location is
still there.

ljbab728
07-19-2011, 12:55 AM
still there.

That has to be a joke. Right? I'm never sure about some of your comments.

OSUMom
07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
still there.

Since I work in that building, that's good to know.

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
That slide sounds like something that needs to be worked into a locally produced, independent horror film.

I'm not sure how one would fit it into the plot, but . . . .
Maybe the plot could be built around the slide!

Like, instead of "Carnival of Souls" . . .
"Amusement Park Fun House of Souls (in Hotel California)" . . .

Midtowner
07-20-2011, 03:58 PM
still there.

Metaphysically speaking, the location will always be there.

yukong
07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Metaphysically speaking, the location will always be there.

You mean they haven't torn down the 32 story City Place Building?

RadicalModerate
07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Actually, I think that he meant that the location was even present in the moments following The Big Bang. It--the location--was simply awaiting the conscious human intervention required to create the City Place Building. Much as that same human consciousness created the Big Bang Theory. Metaphysically speaking, of course.

So . . . "Saw" (and the sequels) were big hits . . .
How about "Slide" . . .?

whorton
10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
This thread is 3 years old, and NO ONE ventured to post a picture? How much of the building is accessible these days? Who owns it? Any plans?

Regards,
Wesley H.

ljbab728
10-15-2012, 09:51 PM
This thread is 3 years old, and NO ONE ventured to post a picture? How much of the building is accessible these days? Who owns it? Any plans?

Regards,
Wesley H.

You'll find more information here:

City Place - Discussion - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=City+Place&highlight=city+place&do=comments)

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/13988-city-place-being-purchased-locals.html