View Full Version : Matt's Rant on Air Travel- as a Frequent Flyer: or, Considerate Air Travel for Morons

Pages : 1 [2]

PennyQuilts
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Also, if you don't have your iPod with you, it's generally quite acceptable to engage a stranger in conversation. Even in other countries like Canada and Europe where people might be more reserved, it's still generally okay to talk to the people sitting next to you on the plane. Of course you don't have to yell or disturb others, but it's another option for you.

Oh, please god, I hope no one sitting next to me on a plane reads this.

I've found the same problem on trains, for that matter.

Some people are nervous and gab and gab and gab. It is one thing to have an interesting conversation. However, it is the luck of the draw on who you'll get, particularly if you are traveling solo. Unfortunately, some people simply have to fill up the air with nonstop talking or listen to music or turn on the sounds in a video game - anything to avoid blessed silence that might actually cause them to be instrospective.

MattB
04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Why so crotchity? I promise you I've been on a plane much more than you have in the last 3 years and in my extensive air travel experience I have learned to just tolerate this stuff. You can always tell the novice fliers by the people who get up as soon as the plane stops in front of the terminal and expects to start getting off the plane. Amateurs...lol

I recommend expecting all of these things. I was at first very put off as well by how inefficient some people are. But then I learned how to be patient on airplanes. Just keep sitting, maybe read another lame travel article in the on-board magazine, and wait for the morons and old people to clear out. Then you can get up and be content to just walk off the plane casually without having to stop and wait for someone every other row.

I also seriously recommend bringing music with you to listen to on the flight. This will cancel out the people talking or belly laughing around you. Also, if you don't have your iPod with you, it's generally quite acceptable to engage a stranger in conversation. Even in other countries like Canada and Europe where people might be more reserved, it's still generally okay to talk to the people sitting next to you on the plane. Of course you don't have to yell or disturb others, but it's another option for you.

Maybe you travel more than I do, maybe you don't. Why so "crotchety?" Because I don't, nor have I ever had patience for this kind of stupidity and inconsideration. All of this is common sense; in fact, the flight attendants try to "coach" these morons on everything I've posted here via announcements, especially getting seated expediently, and they're still cattle, and they still think each one is the center of the universe.
I remember being on a flight when the flight attendant made an announcement advising that they were going to be turning down the lights; if anyone wanted to read, they could turn on the overhead light. "That's the button with the light bulb, not the button with the little picture of a flight attendant on it."
About six morons instantly pushed the button for the flight attendant.

Spartan
04-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Well people are idiots everywhere. That's not a special phenomenon with flying. I'm probably a pretty "efficient" person in how I move, and some people just move really insanely slow (ie, Bavarians/Austrians, omg) in everything they do. I could compose similar rants for virtually anything, and in case people haven't noticed, I do tend to be a fairly "Type A" kind of person...but instead I've just learned to cope. Which I think is actually much better for my blood pressure, at least, in the long run. I would recommend it!

There isn't any need to compose rants like these, especially for flying of all things. That's just the way this frequent flier sees it...

Stew
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
In the game of life it's better to be irritating than irritated.

MattB
04-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Well people are idiots everywhere. That's not a special phenomenon with flying. I'm probably a pretty "efficient" person in how I move, and some people just move really insanely slow (ie, Bavarians/Austrians, omg) in everything they do. I could compose similar rants for virtually anything, and in case people haven't noticed, I do tend to be a fairly "Type A" kind of person...but instead I've just learned to cope. Which I think is actually much better for my blood pressure, at least, in the long run. I would recommend it!

There isn't any need to compose rants like these, especially for flying of all things. That's just the way this frequent flier sees it...
Yes, idiots are everywhere, but when you're flying, you're STUCK in line with them or in that tin can. There's no getting away from it.

ljbab728
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, idiots are everywhere, but when you're flying, you're STUCK in line with them or in that tin can. There's no getting away from it.

That's true Matt and ranting about it may make you feel a little better. People are still going to be people though and things are unlikely to change. Everyone thinks it's the other person who is causing issues. The flying experience has certainly changed since I first started flying in the early 60's and that seemed to begin back with the government deregulation of the airline industry.

MattB
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I wonder if I can bring my own Drill Instructors with me next time?

Kerry
04-05-2011, 06:32 AM
16. If you plan to read or use your laptop during the flight, get it out while you are standing in line to get on the plane, place it in your seat, store your carry luggage, pick up your book or laptop, and sit down. Don't get to your seat and then try to get your book or laptop out while you stand in the aisle only to have to try to load the overhead bin while holding your book or laptop at the same time.

17. If you have a window seat, try to board first when you section is called. If you have an aisle seat, try to board near the end of your called section.

PennyQuilts
04-05-2011, 07:22 AM
I store my kindle/laptop/book in my carryon backpack that goes under the seat in front of me. I don't take an extra purse - just use the backpack for that. I lay it, zipper accessible, so when the time comes, I can just slide it partially out, unzip it, pull out what I'm looking for, push it back under and otherwise try to not bother my neighbor or the person in front of me anymore than I absolutely have to. I keep my phone and small things in a jacket with zipped pockets that is draped over my lap and used for a blanket (or sometimes a pillow if I am in the window seat). I try to get an aisle seat on longer flights so I don't have to perster the person next to me if I go to the bathroom. None of these things are a hardship on me and it just takes about a minute of planning ahead.

I've been known to mail clothes ahead of time if I am staying for any length and would rather not drag a big suitcase with me, especially if I expect to cart presents near a birthday or Christmas. I also mail stuff home, sometimes.

Kerry
04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I've been known to mail clothes ahead of time if I am staying for any length and would rather not drag a big suitcase with me, ...

My sister in-law does that. She got carries away one time though. She was coming to Florida for several weeks and one of the boxes she mailed to our house was full of diapers (she had two kids in diapers at the time). When she arrived I told her she didn't need to mail diapers, we have stores with diapers here.

PennyQuilts
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
My sister in-law does that. She got carries away one time though. She was coming to Florida for several weeks and one of the boxes she mailed to our house was full of diapers (she had two kids in diapers at the time). When she arrived I told her she didn't need to mail diapers, we have stores with diapers here.
hahahaha! I bet she just had extra room in the box and used them for padding. <grin>

Kerry
04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
hahahaha! I bet she just had extra room in the box and used them for padding. <grin>

Nope - the whole box was full of pampers, still in the retail packaging.

Spartan
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
If you have a window seat, try to board first when you section is called. If you have an aisle seat, try to board near the end of your called section.[/FONT]

That is actually a good idea.

Kerry
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
18. Even though you don't have to, offer to help other people stow their over-head luggage if it looks like they need help.