View Full Version : Redevelopment of Brookwood Shopping Center @ SW 89th and Western

SoonerDave
03-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Realized I hadn't seen a post on this, so thought it would be worth a mention...

Looks like the owners of the Brookwood shopping center at SW 89th and Western are planning a major renovation of that venue. Hobby Lobby recently vacated that location, leaving it without an anchor tenant. The signs in the window indicate a significant renovation of the space, changing its configuration, new signage, and creating a bit more pedestrian-oriented shopping area.

The major change will be the creation of what appears to be a brick-lined semicircular drive in the front of the reconfigured mall. The artists rendering also includes the names and illustrations of actual stores, but I do *not* know if that implies that the rendered names are actually signed, prospective occupants of the renovated space. The names in the illustration included Dick's Sporting Goods and TruValue hardware - but again I stress those may strictly be illustrations, not indicative of actual tenants.

The overhaul of the location has apparently started with the Boomerang Grille locaiton, which is presently closed for remodeling. No indication when they plan to reopen.

This is the first major overhaul of that stripmall since it was built back in the late 70's early 80s when, as I recall, a Winn Dixie food mart, a TG&Y variety store, and an Anthony's clothing store were the main occupants. It will be interesting to see how the overhaul works out. A floorplan of the new layout is posted in the windows of the old Hobby Lobby location.

Martin
03-28-2011, 07:58 AM
i was also wondering if those actual tenants had signed as much of the strip currently sits empty. i'd be willing to guess that this renovation is one of the reasons hobby lobby opted to relocate.

a winn dixie food mart, a tg&y variety store, and an anthony's clothing store

wasn't that lineup at southern hills shopping center, 74th & penn? -M

SoonerDave
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
i was also wondering if those actual tenants had signed as much of the strip currently sits empty. i'd be willing to guess that this renovation is one of the reasons hobby lobby opted to relocate.

wasn't that lineup at southern hills shopping center, 74th & penn? -M

Close, but not quite. There was never a Winn Dixie at 74th and Penn; it was a Jim's Super Market. But there was most certainly an Anthony's. The TG&Y at Brookwood was a smallish site for a "family center," but it was a nice stopgap if you didn't want to trek all the way to the "big" TG&Y on 74th. Man, that place was huge.

That TG&Y on 74th was the single largest location in the TG&Y family, and from what I've read that chain was a primary reason the OKC area didn't see WalMart's and their ilk until their ill-fated attempt to move to an upscale store concept that basically killed them.

Martin
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
learn something new every day. the earliest supermarket i remember in brookwood was grider's, which later became shop 'n save and then cost plus before hobby lobby expanded. i'd imagine that's where winn dixie was located. i don't remember either anthony's or tg&y in brookwood. i'd guess one of those was where hobby lobby started out and the other where mardel once was? i do remember that the strip used to only go as far south as eckerd drug, where there is currently a small flooring store. later, they completed the bend toward the south that once had a street's clothing store... wasn't that briefly an anthony's (or their later incarnation, stage) after street's folded?

sorry to turn a perfectly good development thread into a nostalgia thread! from the renderings, i'm really excited to see this strip updated. i was concerned about filling the vacancy when hobby lobby moved. -M

mike1k
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Image of brookwood mentioned above.

http://www.precorruffin.com/Brookwood-Podiumthlg.jpg

SkyWestOKC
03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Thinking those are just proposed tenants, because I also see a Guitar Center on there. I hope they would open a south side location, I hate driving all the way to the northside for drum stuff.

Martin
03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
yep... and that'd be an awfully small storefront for langston's. those must be for just demonstration purposes.

given that boomerang is remodeling yet staying in the same location, i wonder if the design calls for removing some of the structure from the middle of the strip rather than extending the sides out further.

-M

OKC1987
03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
And from the Dick's Sporting Goods stores we had in the Chicago Suburbs, the store front they have marked on the rendering is no where near big enough for a Dick's Sporting Goods

Spartan
03-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Retro.

Jesseda
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Wow talk about dersigning the blast from the past, the new remodel looks like something out of the old days , all its missing is a tasty freeze lol....

SoonerDave
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
yep... and that'd be an awfully small storefront for langston's. those must be for just demonstration purposes.

given that boomerang is remodeling yet staying in the same location, i wonder if the design calls for removing some of the structure from the middle of the strip rather than extending the sides out further.

-M

Based on what I can tell from the conceptual floor plan that's stuck to the windows of the old Hobby Lobby, I *definitely* think they plan to reduce some of the square footage of the area. Its probably a pretty sound strategic concept, in that its likely easier to lease several smaller sections than a single, "big box" space such as the one that used to house Hobby Lobby or the myriad grocery stores that preceded it.

I also think the names on the rendering are for illustration. Thought the implied locations were too small for a sporting goods store or hardware outlet, etc.

ljbab728
03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Based on what I can tell from the conceptual floor plan that's stuck to the windows of the old Hobby Lobby, I *definitely* think they plan to reduce some of the square footage of the area. Its probably a pretty sound strategic concept, in that its likely easier to lease several smaller sections than a single, "big box" space such as the one that used to house Hobby Lobby or the myriad grocery stores that preceded it.

I also think the names on the rendering are for illustration. Thought the implied locations were too small for a sporting goods store or hardware outlet, etc.

The area in which Hobby Lobby was located was originally designed for more than one business anyway. If you remember when inside the Hobby Lobby store, the floor was not a flat pad and had more than one level. You had to go down or up a little depending on which direction you where walking through the store.

bombermwc
03-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Retro.

Well it might be out of the 90's but at least that's an upgrade from where it is now....I'd take it.

okclee
03-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Has anything happened to the other smaller Brookwood shopping center on the NE corner of 89th and Western? (Behind the Carl's Jr.) That shopping center is Hideous looking!! Looks like a gravel pit with doors, windows, and a parking lot.

Martin
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
^
nope. that strip just continues to age with no updates in sight. -M

earlywinegareth
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
This is good to see, it will freshen up that area. I like the coffee shop at the north end and am eager to see what new shops we get there. It seems to me southside retail is doing quite well, you don't see many vacant storefronts.

Soonerman
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
And from the Dick's Sporting Goods stores we had in the Chicago Suburbs, the store front they have marked on the rendering is no where near big enough for a Dick's Sporting Goods

Yeah it does looks small for a Dick's Sporting Goods.

Charlie40
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Looks like construction on the renovation has started, I was by there yesturday and most of the storefronts are torn off and part of the old Hobby Lobby building has been removed, down by where the old Eckerds was many years ago.

Mikemarsh51
08-06-2011, 03:58 PM
New sign showing availability of space does not show a single proposed tenant, only current ones.

phinzup
08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I remember when that site used to be a small plane airport.