View Full Version : OETA Nostalgia Shows

ljbab728
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone with any interest in music from the 50's and 60's needs to check out the ROCK, POP, and DOO WOP special that is airing as I type. There will probably never be another similar gathering possible of all of the amazing talent from that era.

skyrick
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
This is pretty much a staple of every pledge drive on KERA-13 here in DFW. I would prefer to see more vintage clips than current performances by survivors and replacements.

ljbab728
03-16-2011, 10:43 PM
This is pretty much a staple of every pledge drive on KERA-13 here in DFW. I would prefer to see more vintage clips than current performances by survivors and replacements.

I disagree. I enjoy some of the old clips but seeing the performers as they currently are is a real treat even if some of the voices have faded a little. It reminds me of the time I was in London and saw Ingrid Bergman in a play. She was near the end of her career and not a youthful beauty but it is a treasure I'll always remember. I could watch Casablanca 100 times and it would never compare to that night.

papaOU
03-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Grace Slick said she did not understand why people would pay good money to see fat, bald men to sweat across the stage.

rcjunkie
03-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Grace Slick said she did not understand why people would pay good money to see fat, bald men to sweat across the stage.

This from a bald headed (almost), overweight female singer that stills sings and sweats across the stage. LOL

skyrick
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM
This from a bald headed (almost), overweight female singer that stills sings and sweats across the stage. LOL

Grace Slick retired from performing in the late '80s, actually.

Oops!

rcjunkie
03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Grace Slick retired from performing in the late '80s, actually.

Oops!

Not entirely, she still performs 3--4 benefit shows a year, actually.

skyrick
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Not entirely, she still performs 3--4 benefit shows a year, actually.

According to JeffersonAirplane.com the last time Grace performed was September 1989. She occasionally guests on the recordings of others.

And from wikipedia's entry on Grace:

Slick left Starship during 1988 at age 48. After a brief Jefferson Airplane reunion and tour the following year, she retired from the music business. During a 1998 interview with VH1 on a Behind the Music documentary featuring Jefferson Airplane, Slick, who was never shy about giving her age, stated that the main reason she retired from the music business was that "all rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire." Even so, she has made a couple of appearances over the years with Paul Kantner's revamped version of Jefferson Starship when the band has played in Los Angeles, the most recent being a post-9/11 gig

Hardly 3-4 benefits a year.

rcjunkie
03-17-2011, 06:13 PM
According to JeffersonAirplane.com the last time Grace performed was September 1989. She occasionally guests on the recordings of others.

And from wikipedia's entry on Grace:

Hardly 3-4 benefits a year.

I attended one such benefit show last summer in Austin Tx, app. 250 in attendance, I only had 2--3 drinks so I know I wasn't seeing things. She, herself talked about another upcoming show she was doing in Seattle.

ljbab728
03-17-2011, 10:51 PM

I guess she's not a fan of pro wrestling then? LOL