View Full Version : Coming HOME QX

joycec
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm so excited. First of month getting to come see my hometown and bring the kids to see where Mom/Grandma grew up, and sights I saw. places important to me. One thing I wanted to do was go get them "garlic Ck" at "house of Chan". Now I hear it's gone. (BIG WHINE) So in the hopes of preventing a meltdown by not knowing what to expect, I gotta ask, IS there still a light shining on top of downtown OCK buliding that shows weather conditions. RED for bad/green for good?
I think abt how we could see that light shining from where ever you were in OKC, and I guess in my mind it sorta meant safety if it was green. GOD KNOWS when it was red and that was alot, I didn't see too much of it as I THINK I spent most of those nights in the cellar!! LOL...anyway thought I'd ask

Tritone
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
How long has it been? I don't think the beacon concept is still in use. You may be a bit surprised at the new and "improved" downtown skyline. The old Liberty Bank building (as opposed to the new old Liberty Bank building) is somewhat obscured these days. The haze is noticably thicker these days, too. At any rate, welcome back.

ljbab728
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I"ve lived here all of my life (born in the 40's) and never heard of colors on a downtown building showing weather conditions. Could have happened though I guess.

MikeOKC
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
I"ve lived here all of my life (born in the 40's) and never heard of colors on a downtown building showing weather conditions. Could have happened though I guess.

I was born in '59 and I've never heard that before. The beacon on FNB always had colors and multi-color lights, but I've never heard of them being associated with the weather. When Liberty Bank was City National Bank, they had an electronic sign that wrote C-I-T-Y in cursive and gave the time and temp.

Welcome home! You may not recognize OKC.

flintysooner
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
See http://books.google.com/books?id=4dz2XwSzSKEC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=%22weather+beacon%22+%22oklahoma+city%22&source=web&ots=Wc-AsNw0-b&sig=6GVF-IjtOoYxsQG8muL2OKXZ7uU#v=onepage&q&f=false

The tower's focal point is the aluminum weather beacon with a revolving light, which included a beam of 2 million candlepower and is visible to air traffic up to 75 miles away. The tip of the beacon rises 465 feet above the sidewalks.