View Full Version : Ultimate Electronics Going Out of Business Sale

kawititnow
02-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I went there yesterday hoping to find some good deals. I was sadly mistaken. Most things were only 5%-10% off. That's barely enough to save you tax?!? Plus I found a few things that I was interested in cheaper online.

Anyone know when this stuff we REALLY go on sale?

onthestrip
02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
It seems that most going out of business sales rarely discount very much

Dustin
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Circuit City had HUGE discounts! Sorry you had no luck.

Steve
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Here's the dirty little secret: rarely do these closing sales involve actual discounts. Think about it - there is no goodwill left. The sale is often run by a liquidator with little or no regard for telling the truth to consumers. So to be blunt, the liquidators might have a product that regularly sold for $400. There is nothing to stop them from selling it for $440 and still tell you it's on sale at 20 percent off.

Drake
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Steve is right. A flat screen TV that has been selling at $1699 and went on sale occasionally for $1499, is now marked to full retail of $1899 then marked down to $1749 or some nonsense. I would stay away.

Larry OKC
03-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Absolutely Steve & Drake. Same thing happened with K-Mart and one of the big box office places that closed their south side location. Could find the exact same item at another one of their locations (regular price) and it would be cheaper than the "clearance" price.

But can be very successful, it is about perceived value and if you aren't aware they raised the prices before the discount....Let the Buyer Beware.

Not trying to derail the thread but has anyone noticed the Grand Opening signs for Arminis Galleria? They still sound like they are going out of business instead of reopening "everything must go" "up to 75% off" type stuff...LOL

Jettmiester
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Usually, yes thing got UP to regular full MSRP then get discounted after that, so some prices go UP at 1st. But...going out of business sales stair step the discount. That practice is used by just about every retailer. Small % 1st to higher % off later. Just watch your timing and keep an eye on the supply of what you are after.

MikeOKC
03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
A perfect example is the liquidator handling the inventory at the stores that Borders is closing. They have a "big sale" on books at --- 20% off. That's nothing. That's off retail price and Borders routinely had 33% off (sometimes more) coupons available. The Borders stores that are being liquidating do not accept the coupons. So 20% off is really a dud. Yet, the stores are packed. That's what they count on with all the big and bold "Store Closing! - Everything Must Go! - Huge Sale!" banners and signs.

Richard at Remax
03-02-2011, 08:33 AM
haven't they been going out of business for about 10 years now?

Larry OKC
03-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Went by tonight and banner has "20% to 40%" with small print stuff

RoboNerd
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
These liquidator companies have it down to a science. First off, there's a very good chance that most of the good stuff was packed away and sent off to be sold somewhere else at regular prices. Liquidators often bring in other cheap stuff that the store never sold in the first place as part of the "going out of business" sale. And of course, "ALL SALES FINAL" becomes even more fun when that cheap junk doesn't work when you plug it in.

In short -- avoid these sales like the plague. You are 99% sure to pay too much for complete rubbish.

mugofbeer
03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
One of the TV stations in Denver did a hidden camera deal on the Ultimate Electronics liquidation and also compared current product prices with advertised prices prior to the liquidation and in both cases employees stated and the ads showed their prices are higher now than they were previously. They also pointed out for similar or the same merchandise, its cheaper elsewhere like Best Buy or Wal Mart

kawititnow
03-08-2011, 05:57 AM
One of the TV stations in Denver did a hidden camera deal on the Ultimate Electronics liquidation and also compared current product prices with advertised prices prior to the liquidation and in both cases employees stated and the ads showed their prices are higher now than they were previously. They also pointed out for similar or the same merchandise, its cheaper elsewhere like Best Buy or Wal Mart

That's exactly what I found when I went. I had been looking for a really nice universal remote for a while so I knew what they routinely go for. I found one that was an open-box return and thought that I might get a really good deal since it was returned. Turns out it was $50 more than a NEW one from Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Thanks for the replies everyone!!