View Full Version : best mid-priced steaks in okc metro area

Martin
02-14-2011, 06:59 AM
alright, okctalk i need your help...

i'd like to know what you think are the best places to get steak in the metro area. local places preferred. chains accepted. doesn't really matter as long as they serve great steaks.

challenge: places that a group of friends can go for dinner (lunch and prix fixe are out) at around $20-$40 per person.

thanks! -M

kevinpate
02-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Jamil's
http://www.jamilssteakhouseokc.com/menu.htm

BoulderSooner
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
alright, okctalk i need your help...

i'd like to know what you think are the best places to get steak in the metro area. local places preferred. chains accepted. doesn't really matter as long as they serve great steaks.

challenge: places that a group of friends can go for dinner (lunch and prix fixe are out) at around $20-$40 per person.

thanks! -M

redprime has their prix fixe set at $35 every day of the week for as many or as few want to order it at your table and IMHO for the value and the options it can't be beat

Martin
02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
kevinpate... thanks!

bouldersooner... thanks! i agree that's a good option, but isn't the prix fixe menu limited to certain times of day? i'm not sure we could drop in early enough to make that work... but if that's available any time, red prime definitely goes on the list.

-M

BBatesokc
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not aware of a set early time for the Pre Fix. We go anywhere from 6pm to 10pm and that's always what we get.

We've also had great steak at Paseo Grill.

Steve
02-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Martin, I think if your budget if $20 to $40 per person and doesn't involve a lot of wine, it would be very difficult to top Red Prime's Prix deal. At least give it a better look. The quality FAR surpasses anything else in the price range, I thought it involved a good variety of choices. Tuck, if you're out there, this is your chance to promote your place without it coming off as spam or unwanted advertising.

tuck
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Steve, in that case....I'll promote away. Our Prix Fixe menu is available all the time with the exceptions of some major holidays. Appetizer or salad, choice of 2 sides, entree and desssert. It really is a great deal.

OKCMallen
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
kevinpate... thanks!

bouldersooner... thanks! i agree that's a good option, but isn't the prix fixe menu limited to certain times of day? i'm not sure we could drop in early enough to make that work... but if that's available any time, red prime definitely goes on the list.

-M

You just can't beat RED for this. RED is the kind of place that shouldn't be affordable, but they are with prix fixe. We love it.

ImTheDude
02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Signature Grill in Edmond, best restaurant in the city, IMO.

Steve
02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Tuck, keep going - size, cut of steak, different sauces, side selection, etc. Again, you've got multiple people in this thread expressing an interest, and the guys who might typically throw rocks at this discussion are your fans. So you should be safe!

Steve
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
dude, I've not been to Signature Grill. Tell me more.

metro
02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
RED Prime Prix Fixe as already mentioned, no one can come close.

Corndog1
02-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Whats so good about it. What size and kinda cut are we talking about. Of course, what type of price are we talking also. My wife and I getting out for 50, 100, 150$. What are we talking about? I like steak, but the wife likes chicken so we have never been to many really good steak places. I usually just do my own at home, and do a good job, but would like a place to go on occasion.

OkieDave
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
When I think about best steaks in town I think of the Ranch Steakhouse on Britton Road and May Ave. Not cheap but it is a great value when you factor in size, quality and service.

BBatesokc
02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Whats so good about it. What size and kinda cut are we talking about. Of course, what type of price are we talking also. My wife and I getting out for 50, 100, 150$. What are we talking about? I like steak, but the wife likes chicken so we have never been to many really good steak places. I usually just do my own at home, and do a good job, but would like a place to go on occasion.

Just take a look at their website if you need more than the basics.

http://www.redprimesteak.com/

As for what's so good about it - they use good quality meat and know you don't burn a steak to make it taste good.

Easy180
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Roadhouse has pretty good filets for 15 bucks or so

Steve
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
No offense Easy, everyone has their preference and it's cool if Roadhouse is your choice. But there's no comparison between Texas Roadhouse and Red Prime.

Double Edge
02-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Best steak I've had in the last few years was at Mahogany, a budget buster.

Deep Fork is my fave that might be in that price range depending. They make a great steak and a lot of other stuff. I've eaten there with small, medium and large groups. Seems like they put one of us groups of 6 in a sort of private room once. They have a room upstairs for larger groups too, not sure if they use for other than wedding rehearsal type dinners.

As far as a chain and inexpensive, TGI Fridays has a surprisingly good petite sirloin. I don't find that many other items on their menu I like but you can do a 2 for $12.99 deal where you combine an appetizer that will server two with an entry for one. The petite sirloin is on that deal and with mashed tators and steamed vegetables it's pretty darn good.

I haven't tried most of the others listed, except jamils some long time ago.

Easy180
02-15-2011, 04:09 AM
No offense Easy, everyone has their preference and it's cool if Roadhouse is your choice. But there's no comparison between Texas Roadhouse and Red Prime.

Filets at red prime around 15 bucks?

Kerry
02-15-2011, 06:39 AM
If you have not tried the House Steak at Applebee's you would be surprised how good it is and it only sets you back about $10.

Steve
02-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Filets at red prime around 15 bucks?

No, but this thread didn't start with that price range - it was $20 to $40

USAF
02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Since apple bees and TGI Fridays is coming up, why not Petro/Iron Skillet? Why not Mackies Steakhouse?

td25er
02-15-2011, 09:41 AM
No, but this thread didn't start with that price range - it was $20 to $40

$20 <= ($15 + drink + tax + tip) <= $40

Steve
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
td, the question was asked whether there would be drinks. These answers assume not.

Martin
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
thanks for the responses everybody. not that there is anything wrong with places like texas/logan's roadhouse, applebee's, tgi friday's, etc... i was kinda looking for something a notch above that in quality/price yet a notch less expensive than area prime steakhouses. essentially what i'm looking to do is take a group of friends around to the 'best' steak spots in town over the course of a few weeks/months. essentially, after almost being dragged to [BAD STEAKHOUSE NAME REDACTED] i'd like for them to discover some of the great places we have around town. while i do enjoy the food at several of our local prime steakhouses, i don't want price to be a barrier for some of my friends joining in. i am not assuming drinks are part of the budget.

allow me to add to the list. we went to ken's in amber a few weeks ago and had great steaks. i'm looking for similar places... but not necesarily that relaxed an atmosphere... but i suppose i'm not looking for too formal, either.

with the prix fixe menu at red prime in play, i think that will fit the requirements.

double edge... deep fork is a good suggestion. hadn't thought of that one.

bbates... is paseo grill pretty formal or laid back? would someone be out of place in casual attire?

imthedude... will have to look into signature grill... i've never been there.

tuck... promote away. i don't think anybody who should be taken seriously feels that you spam this site.

steve... i'm convinced. red is definitely on the list.

-M

ImTheDude
02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.signaturegrilledmond.com/

Make sure you make reservations, especially on the weekend.

Here is a good review from urbanspoon.

This quaint little restaurant is found in an unusual location, but it adds to the charm; like you've stumbled upon a diamond in the rough. This is unlike any restaurant you'd find in a strip. This is about as romantic and cozy as it gets.

With a big window into the kitchen, you instantly get drawn into the show that is your dinner. The quality of the food is amazing and you get to watch it being prepared, ensuring that it's A) not frozen B) not pre-made C) not fake.

With a good wine menu to choose from, and a full bar, cocktails before and wine during, with a great aperitif after, you're getting the full dining experience here.
For the food. Amazing. We had the duck confit, fois gras, and smoked salmon appetizers. All were great. The fois gras was the favorite, but all were great. The filet was cooked perfectly and the risotto (as another person has mentioned) is the best I've ever had. We also had the veal with chorizo (not typically chorizo fans, but this was great)
Here's the kicker. The portions were great. Appetizers were small so you could get a few if you're adventurous (like I am) and the entrees were filling and you know you're getting your money's worth.

Bottom line, there are a handful of restaurants that impress as well as this place. On top of that, it's a local owner, operating a local business. We should support that. If you're experiences in the food industry are the chain restaurants, skip it. Try this place out. You'll understand the hype behind 'going local.'

Steve
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Signature sounds good and someday I'll try it out. At the end of the day, right now at least, my wife and I can only afford one "really nice night out" and that will be our anniversary each year. And for now, we're pretty much locked in with Red Prime for anniversary nights.
Martin, as far as "formality" goes, I'd put Red Prime and Paseo Grill into the category of "nice, but 2011 casual" in terms of attire goes. Slacks or even nice jeans are fine with a decent shirt. Suit, etc., not expected or required. My wife loves Red Prime because while the food and service are top caliber, it feels comfortable (the lighting somehow doesn't detract from that!).
Martin, I'm guessing I know which restaurant they were almost forced to go to.

BBatesokc
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I second Signature. I forget about them because we don't go to Edmond for dinner often, but have eaten there at least 7 times and loved each experience. I love how small the place is and the service and quality of food are top notch.

Martin
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
martin, i'm guessing i know which restaurant they were almost forced to go to.
ohhhhh... i didn't even think about that when i wrote the 'redacted' bit... no, this wasn't the longstanding okc tradition everybody loves to hate. i may lose some credibility on this, but i don't mind cattlemen's and would even consider it as one of the stops on the list... it's one of those places i think should be experienced at least once. sure, i wouldn't count it as one of okc's best but in my opinion it certainly isn't bad. at least i haven't had any truly bad experiences there. ok, ok... the mayo 'house' dressing is a huge disappointment, i'll admit that. i think the place has alot of potential though... it just seems that it's currently being neglected.

the place my friends tried to drag me to was cimarron steakhouse. no offense intended to anybody that likes the place. for whatever reason, i have a couple friends who think this is the 'go to place' for steaks in and around okc... i'd like to show them there's so much more.

-M

rcjunkie
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Ken's Steak house in Amber, about a 45 minute drive from OKC and well worth it.

Steve
02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
ohhhhh... i didn't even think about that when i wrote the 'redacted' bit... no, this wasn't the longstanding okc tradition everybody loves to hate. i may lose some credibility on this, but i don't mind cattlemen's and would even consider it as one of the stops on the list... it's one of those places i think should be experienced at least once. sure, i wouldn't count it as one of okc's best but in my opinion it certainly isn't bad. at least i haven't had any truly bad experiences there. ok, ok... the mayo 'house' dressing is a huge disappointment, i'll admit that. i think the place has alot of potential though... it just seems that it's currently being neglected.

the place my friends tried to drag me to was cimarron steakhouse. no offense intended to anybody that likes the place. for whatever reason, i have a couple friends who think this is the 'go to place' for steaks in and around okc... i'd like to show them there's so much more.

-M

So glad to see you're not a hater of Cattlemen's. Personally, I think the steak is good (not great, but good) and I love the history of the place. Just seems that when you said "dragged," that's the place that is targeted more often than not. Cimarron? Oh good grief... yeah, night and day.

metro
02-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Cimarron tastes better than Catlemens IMO, and that's not saying much.

Dustin
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Ken's Steak house in Amber, about a 45 minute drive from OKC and well worth it.

Love this place! Probably the best kept secret in Oklahoma.

Jon27
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
I know it's a chain, but Longhorn Steakhouse on Memorial isn't bad. About $15 -$20 a person.

rcjunkie
02-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Love this place! Probably the best kept secret in Oklahoma.

Agree completely, I go there at least once a month, good small town atmosphere, friendly owner and great steaks.

Easy180
02-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Agree completely, I go there at least once a month, good small town atmosphere, friendly owner and great steaks.

Love this place as well...Owner is a real character...Best part is the salad bar with fried okra and beans

okclee
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I have heard talk about a place in Norman, Cha Time. Combination Thai restaurant and Steakhouse. I had someone tell me that it is the most delicious steak they have had and this is someone that has eaten at most of the top steak restaurants in the metro.

tburn
02-18-2011, 08:03 AM
I know it's a chain, but Longhorn Steakhouse on Memorial isn't bad. About $15 -$20 a person.

2nd for Longhorn -- we had a gift certif for this place and it was fine! We both had the Filet and it was tender and cooked perfect medium as requested.
Much better atmosphere than Outback (hate the loud pop music, and the "flair" that some of the employees wear). Lots of western decor.

We usually grill our steaks at home -- thick cuts from the Crest Butcher, Premium Natural Beef.

USAF
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Lornhorn uses a blend of spices they call "prairie dust" and usually will sell a bag to the public at a reasonable cost. You usually have to find a manager as the host/wait staff doesn't always know if it's for sale or how to do the transaction.