View Full Version : Smaller Downtown Projects

betts
01-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Catching up on the small projects overlooked in downtown Oklahoma City
Columnist Steve Lackmeyer updates smaller projects under way downtown.

When a $750 million skyscraper is being built downtown, and more than $500 million in investment is under way or being planned, it's understandable how the little projects might get overlooked.

Read more: http://newsok.com/catching-up-on-the-small-projects-overlooked-in-downtown-oklahoma-city/article/3535162#ixzz1C8297KwG

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Hey, betts....Can you not sleep either? I don't know what my problem is. Wide awake - I only have to be "up" in a couple of hours. Oh well. Thanks for posting this article. Nice roundup from Steve. I had no idea Chris Salyer was renovating an Automobile Alley over-the-storefront as his residence. I'd like to hear more about what he's doing.

BoulderSooner
01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
never mind that 4th and walker is not in MIdtown

Snowman
01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
never mind that 4th and walker is not in MIdtown

you say that like a lot of people don't referee to everything within a three mile radius of the ford center as downtown

okclee
01-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Very good article Steve!

I would love to see more of this, downtown Okc projects and developments, maybe monthly. It gives off a positive, but true take on the downtown economy and may help with other investors and their projects.

Also people love rumors and gossip, could you give us a "rumor mill" type of article, for future projects that could possibly happen? (without naming names of course, just hints of what could be on the horizon) Something short and to the point, covering a few different rumor projects, like today's story.

Again I liked reading today's story, very good.

More please. Thanks.

Pete
01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I agree, excellent article and update!

Everyone loves the big sexy projects but it's the myriad of smaller ones that really make a difference. As many holes as there still are in and around downtown, there have been literally hundreds of little projects like these over the last 10 years or so.

Spartan
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Didn't realize that Langford had moved downtown. It will be interesting to see if he's going to be inclined to support the downtown/MAPS causes in Congress.

There are a number of other small projects I have been wondering about for a while. What is the Cadillac Building going to be? I've been watching that renovation for years. I actually like the additional floor that Rick Dowell added. Is that just going to be another office building of his? I know he's considering adding some residential to his area..

What's the status of the Bond Bakery? I think I saw for-sale signs outside of it, which can't be a good sign. Is Gary Hasenflu still involved in that? That's the guy who did downtown Shawnee and the Cold Storage Lofts in KCMO.

ljbab728
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Also people love rumors and gossip, could you give us a "rumor mill" type of article, for future projects that could possibly happen? (without naming names of course, just hints of what could be on the horizon) Something short and to the point, covering a few different rumor projects, like today's story.

Steve may indulge in a little rumor and gossip here or in his blog but I don't think he's likely to do that in a newspaper article. That's not his style.

Pete
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Building permit issued today for a small restaurant in this building across from Deep Deuce Grill (322 NE 2nd):

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2735/R020023675001sA.jpg

Spartan
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Ah great. That used to be the leasing office for The Hill. Finally a good use for the building... it's already really well-finished out.

betts
03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
It was going to be Urban Roots. I noticed their signs are down though, so wonder if its going to be something else. I'm always happy to have more restaurants in the neighborhood.

oakhollow
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
I have to pay rent today at DD, so I'll ask if they have heard about what restaurant will be going in.

Pete
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Urban Roots has a Facebook page and it looks like they are already open:

http://www.facebook.com/urbanrootsokc?sk=wall

betts
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, I went by yesterday and the doors have their logo on them. There was an unlit "open" sign as well.

Pete
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Looks like a cool, unique place! Love the idea of new music being spun for happy hour events.

Deep Deuce is really going to take off when Level and ALoft open, as it's already well on it's way.

Pete
04-12-2012, 08:08 PM
$350,000 building permit today to renovate the McDonald's at Sheridan & Classen.

Should be a significant remodel given the amount.

Fantastic
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
$350,000 building permit today to renovate the McDonald's at Sheridan & Classen.

Should be a significant remodel given the amount.

This is how "on top of things" Pete is. The fact that you find this stuff is greatly apprecited... Thanks Pete!

CCOKC
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Isn't this building relatively new? It seems to me it was built about 8 years ago or so.

Pete
04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Yes, that Mickey D's was built in 2003:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2731/R013846300001tA.jpg

Urbanized
04-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Interesting. I was just discussing this a few days ago. The old McD's was totally demolished and this one was built in '02 (seemed more recent), but it already feels pretty dated considering the new finishes and configurations you're now seeing on their stores. That $350K will probably be a total facade renovation (maybe stacked stone like many of them have gotten recently) plus a conversion of the dining room to their new modern-looking interiors. Just a guess.

Spartan
04-13-2012, 02:22 PM
It would be nice if they'd demolish the current structure and bring it closer to the street. I wonder if they've seen a benefit to their business in Bricktown by going with the more urban design. I know that McD's normally does pretty crazy business.

Skyline
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I've heard that the Bricktown Mc'D does not make money. It's an under performing restaurant with the company. The Bricktown location does have a nice design though.

Spartan
04-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Then they should just pro-rate their business volume to adjust for the bizarre hours there.

Skyline
04-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Then they should just pro-rate their business volume to adjust for the bizarre hours there.

Exactly, they are really dependent on the Bricktown visitors crowd.

Spartan
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I have never seen that one open past midnight or if it is only drive-thru (but not for much longer), the only time that many Bricktown patrons are possibly drunk enough to go for some McD's. I just know that when they are open, lunch is packed and the drive-thru line always seems several cars long, and then of course nobody goes there for dinner.