View Full Version : Checkerboard Cafe

TaoMaas
01-16-2011, 06:09 AM
I heard a rumor that they were thinking about moving back to Harrah. Has anyone else heard this? And, if true, do you know why? Is it the overhead?

Bostonfan
01-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I heard the same thing. Something to do with the owners husband being sick (cancer I believe).

TaoMaas
01-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Man, I'd hate to see that. They're really close to my house and I've gotten addicted to their specials.

Bostonfan
01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, only been there a couple of times but each time was wonderful. Seems like very nice people who have already been through alot. Hopefully they will pull through. BTW, don't quote me on the reason of cancer. I do remember the reason was concerning health issues, but not exactly sure if it is cancer.

BlondeStranger
03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, that is true. I live in Harrah and happened to drive downtown yesterday and they were open in the original building where they used to be several years ago. Not sure when they opened though.

BlondeStranger
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, that is true. I live in Harrah and happened to drive downtown yesterday and saw that they were open in the original building they were in several years ago.

Corndog1
03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Actually ate dinner there tonight. I had a porkchop and mashed, the wife had the chicken fried chicken and fries. We also split a slice of pie. All in all it was a good experience. Take a jacket, it was cold in there. Im big, i liked it, but my wife almost wanted to leave as soon as the freezing air hit her when we entered. Porkchop was fantastic, but the salad was small and over priced for what it was. The wifes meal was good also. I ordered the cake of the week, but somehow he brought me a piece of pie instead. Again, Im not a little guy so I didnt complain. It was solid and I was happy with the pie, guess he just saw me as a pie guy anyway. The meal was like 30$ and we both had water. Im not complaining because the food was excellent and I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little high pricey for a joint on a dead part of a street in Harrah. I hope they make it, they did for years so Im sure they will, but price point may get them.

Try the pie, it was good. But, it should be for 4$ a slice.

Thunder
03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Mom and I stopped by there once a few months ago for a treat. She had the cheesecake and I had the chocolate German cake. I don't remember what she drank, but I had the chocolate milk.