View Full Version : Sword in the Stone Coffee House

RealJimbo
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
This was the home for live acoustic music in the '70s. Jim Hochanadel and Dave Gray, Jim Gavula (spellings?), among others. Who do you remember from those days? BTW - I have been in contact with Jim "Hoke" who has been a high-demand sideman in Nashville for many years. He comes back from time to time.

Martin
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
where was this place located? -M

papaOU
10-07-2010, 11:09 PM
where was this place located? -M

I am not a 100% but know the area. Like NW5 or 6th and Hudson or Harvey. If it is still standing I could find it.

Martin
10-08-2010, 06:07 AM
gotcha... thanks! never heard of the place. -M

Martin
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
looks like it was nw 7th & hudson. found the below article from may 1, 1965. by september 1974, the place was converted by the owners into a small factory to make tiffany-style lamps. -M

http://magnvs.de/pics/swordandstone.jpg

USG'60
10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
This was the home for live acoustic music in the '70s. Jim Hochanadel and Dave Gray, Jim Gavula (spellings?), among others. Who do you remember from those days? BTW - I have been in contact with Jim "Hoke" who has been a high-demand sideman in Nashville for many years. He comes back from time to time.

Hey, Jimbo, did you get to visit with Hoke while he was here last spring? I first met him as the drummer/sax player for the Lienke Brothers Band. He never mentioned being involved with the Sword and Stone but I didn't know him during that period, so he may have been.

papaOU
10-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I had the general location correct. I was a wee-lad when I went there and they served ginger beer. Cool huh!

RealJimbo
10-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Hey, Jimbo, did you get to visit with Hoke while he was here last spring? I first met him as the drummer/sax player for the Lienke Brothers Band. He never mentioned being involved with the Sword and Stone but I didn't know him during that period, so he may have been.

USG'60, no, I knew he was here, but I didn't get to visit with him. He has a website, http://jimhokemusic.com/ where you can listen to clips and see what he's been up to. About the Sword in the Stone, they had some particularly good blues singers on occasion as well as the folk singers.

OKCRT
10-14-2010, 09:09 AM
I thought it was Steve Cavula and Tom Lofton in the early 70s just down the street from Central school. Lots of folk (rocky top,take it easy) music and some r&b. One of their orig. songs was called Pinto Pony. Soda pop,coffee & popcorn was about all they served. Good guys for sure. I think they played down at the old centre theater a time or 2.

OKCRT
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
There was another place on about 8th & Broadway I think it was called Eddie Henrys. I went there once or twice and i remember it as a pretty rough place. Had some good music at times in there.Anyone remember this place. Early 70s.

biglou@pldi.net
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
the sword and stone coffehouse was located at the ne corner 7th and north harvey
J.B. was a house regular and i think part owner
eunice shedden was a regular and a favorite of mine
would give 10,00 dollars at the drop of a hat to hear her sing blue tattoo one more time
or codeine
or anything
RIP

mance lipscomb played some

where i learned what a guitar and song was about

lou

timkatent
08-30-2012, 11:04 AM

I found this forum on an Internet search for Jim Hochanadel. I am searching for any and all surviving band members that played on Tim Ballard's "Singing Positive to the People" soul, funk and R&B album in OKC in 1978. While Tim passed away in 2009, we have since re-issued the album on CD and digital, and this year, it has been submitted to the Grammies for consideration for nomination. In case it wins a nomination (and even if it doesn't) I would like to stay in touch with members of the band from that album, as follows:

Jim Hochanadel, Alto Sax
Rich Gordon, Tenor Sax
Ken McKenna, Keyboards
James Moore, Guitar
Maurice Love, Bass
Bob Beasly, Baritone
Steve Chandler and Keith Edwards, Drums
Don Johnson and David Powell, Horn Arrangements
Bob Cotton, Studio Producer and Engineer

Should anyone know these fine musicians, or have information about them, please email me at timkatent@gmail.com. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Kathryn Ballard Shut /shoot/
President, Daughter of Tim Ballard
TIMKAT Entertainment LLC
Denver, CO, USA
Web Portal: http://about.me/timkatent