View Full Version : SandRidge Center & Commons

yukong
05-19-2020, 10:49 PM
Health Department is in a tower at 1000 NE 10th. East of Lincoln. So if Pete's numbers are correct, that will be a 400+.
Water Resources Board is at 38th and Classen...so again assuming Pete's numbers are correct, another 100.
The article stated tourism would also be moving to Sandridge...I'm not sure how many are at the tourism HQ on N. Stiles...but they have listed over 1500 employees statewide. So it would be safe to assume there are 300 or so at their HQ, but that is just a wild guess. So, another 300 or so.
Then Department of Mines is at 29th and Classen. Add another 25 or so.
That adds between 750 and 1000 (depending on how many are at tourism.
DEQ is already Downtown. They are at 6th and Robinson. They are listed to have up around 500 employees. But they have offices around the state. Pete's numbers say 400 downtown. That is a wash though.
Now the question is OTC. They have probably 400-500 at three different locations. They occupy all of the Connors Building at the Capital Complex plus another building around 28th and Lincoln. Then someone else in this thread said their legal department was downtown already. But I doubt that many people would comfortably fit in the Sandridge building.

Anyway... if this is a real deal...you can expect at least 750 or more new employees downtown. If OTC is in the mix...make it over 1000 new employees downtown. It will be good to see the Sandridge building active again. I'm sure the restaurants down there will be happy for the influx of more customers.

Bellaboo
05-20-2020, 05:25 AM
If OTC is involved, Their IT group has another 25-35 contractors that would make the move.

Pete
05-20-2020, 07:06 AM
The DEQ office is at 6th and Robinson. And it’s closer to 500 employees than 400.

They will not be moving all their employees because they have an extensive lab which will be housed elsewhere.

hookertime
05-20-2020, 08:10 AM
They will not be moving all their employees because they have an extensive lab which will be housed elsewhere.

It would be odd to move the lab and not move it to the same building with the rest of the employees. As I understand it, the cost of moving the lab has been a large hurdle for the state to overcome in selling the building. It just wouldn't make much sense to move it somewhere else.

Pete
05-20-2020, 08:11 AM
It would be odd to move the lab and not move it to the same building with the rest of the employees. As I understand it, the cost of moving the lab has been a large hurdle for the state to overcome in selling the building. It just wouldn't make much sense to move it somewhere else.

If this all works out, they would be consolidating their lab with a few other state agencies but it wouldn't be at SandRidge Tower.

Merman
05-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Didn't DEQ have plans to refresh their Midtown building with a new parking garage? Has this changed due to the availability of the sandridge building?

Pete
05-20-2020, 09:21 AM
Didn't DEQ have plans to refresh their Midtown building with a new parking garage? Has this changed due to the availability of the sandridge building?

That was killed.

OKC Guy
05-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Health Department is in a tower at 1000 NE 10th. East of Lincoln. So if Pete's numbers are correct, that will be a 400+.
Water Resources Board is at 38th and Classen...so again assuming Pete's numbers are correct, another 100.
The article stated tourism would also be moving to Sandridge...I'm not sure how many are at the tourism HQ on N. Stiles...but they have listed over 1500 employees statewide. So it would be safe to assume there are 300 or so at their HQ, but that is just a wild guess. So, another 300 or so.
Then Department of Mines is at 29th and Classen. Add another 25 or so.
That adds between 750 and 1000 (depending on how many are at tourism.
DEQ is already Downtown. They are at 6th and Robinson. They are listed to have up around 500 employees. But they have offices around the state. Pete's numbers say 400 downtown. That is a wash though.
Now the question is OTC. They have probably 400-500 at three different locations. They occupy all of the Connors Building at the Capital Complex plus another building around 28th and Lincoln. Then someone else in this thread said their legal department was downtown already. But I doubt that many people would comfortably fit in the Sandridge building.

Anyway... if this is a real deal...you can expect at least 750 or more new employees downtown. If OTC is in the mix...make it over 1000 new employees downtown. It will be good to see the Sandridge building active again. I'm sure the restaurants down there will be happy for the influx of more customers.

Thanks for the reply. You know the old saying one persons gain is another persons pain, in a manner of speaking. While this is great for core the flip side is service businesses in the area they move from. Micro economy. A lunch spot close to existing buildings is likely to lose a lot of business. They key is if someone comes in behind and puts people in the buildings being vacated.

Its a good move by the city though. They should cut costs centralizing some of their employees and buildings.

LandThieves
05-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Correct - The scientists and techs who work in the lab will not relocate to the SD tower, but the rest of the SELS Division will.

Still closer to 500 than 400.

Pete
05-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Correct - The scientists and techs who work in the lab will not relocate to the SD tower, but the rest of the SELS Division will.

Still closer to 500 than 400.

No one is sure of the exact number so how about we just agree it's somewhere between 400 & 500 and stop splitting hairs?

LandThieves
05-20-2020, 12:01 PM
No one is sure of the exact number so how about we just agree it's somewhere between 400 & 500 and stop splitting hairs?

lol works for me.

The lab that has been proposed in consolidation is much too small to accommodate, and faces additional issues in regards to the proximity to residential zones. But I guess all of that can be taken care of with some persuasion.

OKGuru
05-20-2020, 03:44 PM
I am happy this building is going to get filled up with more tenants. I wish they could paint it white or light it up where it looks super white at night. Even some nice alternating LED's would look great and wouldn't be a big expense. A nice crown on top would look mighty nice as well. I think if a few others buildings did this, our downtown could look so much better and not as dark.

HOT ROD
05-24-2020, 02:57 AM
even the aviation beacons would add/make a diff. Wonder why they along with City Place dont have aviation beacons?

Teo9969
05-24-2020, 09:00 AM
My understanding is the following state agencies will be taking space in SandRidge Tower (what will be the new name I wonder?)...

Why, Oklahoma Tower, of course!!!

Laramie
05-24-2020, 11:53 AM
State of Oklahoma Tower.

TheTravellers
05-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Why, Oklahoma Tower, of course!!!

We've already got an unimaginatively named one like that, shame it's not on Oklahoma City Boulevard, though.

FighttheGoodFight
05-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Imagine That Tower

rte66man
05-24-2020, 03:42 PM

If true, that would be a great waste of taxpayer money after the State spent so much to fix that building up.

Why would the State send OTC downtown when they already own the Connors Building?

The cynic in me wants to know who's behind all this. When OMES was looking to move their Data Center, they we originally going to move to the SW corner of Western and Memorial (owned by OTA). One Edmond legislator threatened to block the deal because he wanted they to rent space on Broadway (coincidentally owned by an 'acquaintance'.

TheTravellers
05-24-2020, 03:51 PM
If true, that would be a great waste of taxpayer money after the State spent so much to fix that building (Tourism HQ on Stiles) up....

Well, that location is full. Wife does copy-editing and fact-checking for part of the year for them, usually starts in June, and last year it was pretty cramped, and they eventually just told a bunch of the fact-checkers to work from home because there just wasn't room for them. Will be the same this year, especially with COVID-19 around. And if they moved from there, I'd assume that someone at some point would buy/lease it instead of it just sitting there (I'd hope, but yeah, no guarantee that would happen).

yukong
05-25-2020, 09:40 PM
If true, that would be a great waste of taxpayer money after the State spent so much to fix that building up.

Why would the State send OTC downtown when they already own the Connors Building?

The cynic in me wants to know who's behind all this. When OMES was looking to move their Data Center, they we originally going to move to the SW corner of Western and Memorial (owned by OTA). One Edmond legislator threatened to block the deal because he wanted they to rent space on Broadway (coincidentally owned by an 'acquaintance'.

Tourism currently leases space in the building housing the Department of Commerce over on N. Stiles. Tourism wants to be back downtown. When they were in the First National Tower, they had a gift shop and information center somewhere downtown and they made a lot of money from that shop. More than from any of the other tourist centers. They want that exposure and income back. Further, Commerce needs the space and wants Tourism out of their building. Also...the Lieutenant Governor has an office in the Tourism HQ. My understanding is that while he has an office in the Capital, he spends most of his time in the tourism office. I believe he too wants downtown. And, I was incorrect on the numbers...Tourism only has about 125-150 in their HQ here in OKC.

OTC does not own the Connors building...that is owned by OMES from what I've heard. Further, OTC is spread out over 3 different locations. But my understanding is that OTC is not part of this possible move to Sandridge Commons. I guess it could happen...but that is not what was in the original plan. That plan had Health, Tourism, DEQ, Water Resources and Dept of Mines moving to Sandridge. I doubt there is room for OTC.

And as an FYI...on Thursday, the Governor signed HB2840, the bill directing the sale of the DEQ building. So, that is now pretty much a done deal. The law requires that the Commissioners of Land sell it if they can get the right return on it...but you know that will happen...regardless of the appraised value.

There is a lot of politics at play here.

Pete
06-11-2020, 06:06 PM
The board of the OK Commisioners of the Land Office voted to acquire SandRidge Commons and the Broadway/Kerr garage for $35.5 million.

From a good source, I'm told they hope to close in September as long as their due diligence and appraisals pan out.

State agencies could start occupancy in October.

The CLO would be acquiring all the furniture and fixtures and plans to lease out the top 2 floors, as they are joined by a huge opening and spiral staircase, are quite opulent and can command high rental rates.

All of the revenue from the property would help fund education in Oklahoma.

Laramie
06-12-2020, 12:13 PM
http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/Oklahoman/get/DOK-2020-06-12/image.ashx?kind=block&href=DOK%2F2020%2F06%2F12&id=Pc0011200&ext=.jpg&ts=20200612082434

The governing board of the Oklahoma Commissioners of the Land Office voted Thursday to approve the $35.5 million purchase of the SandRidge tower in downtown Oklahoma City for use as a state office building...

...SandRidge put almost $100 million in upgrades into the building.

The 29-story tower has a 450-seat auditorium, health club and meeting rooms that are expected to be used as common areas by the various state agencies, Kuhlman said.

Full story link: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/Oklahoman/default.aspx--Oklahoman, 06/12/2020

State of Oklahoma is getting one hell of a bargain.

Anonymous.
07-21-2020, 03:59 PM
https://oklahoman.com/article/5667339/deq-decides-not-to-move-into-sandridge-tower

BridgeBurner
07-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Oh man, my friend who works at the DEQ is going to be super bummed.

Pete
07-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Oh man, my friend who works at the DEQ is going to be super bummed.

They will likely be moving elsewhere.

BridgeBurner
07-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Yeah, just saw that Oklahoman article. Apparently the DEQ has been super shady telling their employees anything during this process. People would ask questions about news articles or things on websites like OKC talk after meetings and all the execs would ever say was "we cannot confirm or deny anything at this time."

Pete
07-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Yeah, just saw that Oklahoman article. Apparently the DEQ has been super shady telling their employees anything during this process. People would ask questions about news articles or things on websites like OKC talk after meetings and all the execs would ever say was "we cannot confirm or deny anything at this time."

Pretty standard, unfortunately.

But they have been touring other spaces. They have a buyer for their current property.

The big hang-up is the cost of moving their testing lab. They test all types of environmental things and to recreate it would cost at least $10 million. There is talk of a new lab which would be a combination for several state agencies.

onthestrip
07-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Pretty standard, unfortunately.

But they have been touring other spaces. They have a buyer for their current property.

The big hang-up is the cost of moving their testing lab. They test all types of environmental things and to recreate it would cost at least $10 million. There is talk of a new lab which would be a combination for several state agencies.

Always interesting how a state owned property doesnt go up for sale on the open market but has a special buyer already in place. Doesnt seem like the best way to maximize taxpayer dollars.

HOT ROD
07-22-2020, 02:16 PM
ya, but it could be part of a deal for Sandridge Tower, which is honestly worth way more than $35M.

I too would be bummed if there were the possiblity of working in the CBD in a skyscraper and then after all not be in downtown at all - let alone my current EDQ midtown location.

Ronnie Jackson
07-22-2020, 06:47 PM
Always interesting how a state owned property doesnt go up for sale on the open market but has a special buyer already in place. Doesnt seem like the best way to maximize taxpayer dollars.

Agreed. There are a lot of secret real estate deals in OKC — both public and private. Seems like everyone with a little bit of money in OKC is trying to be like Aubrey (who was well known for secret deals) — but none can actually pull it off.

That’s why getting a guy like Musk to invest in Oklahoma (at some point) is so important. We need a new billionaire with bad ideas and questionable ethics. They tend to throw money around very loosely, and that lifts all boats.

We don’t have that guy right now. Chad, Marty and Harold are way too focused on Shareholders, the Big Guy and Harold respectively. Would love to see Chad make some splashy moves, but that’s not his personality.

Lanni
07-24-2020, 06:03 AM
OTC employees are receiving notices of their planned move time frames.

yukong
07-25-2020, 09:04 AM

I would dispute “super shady.” I know people there and they tell me there have been a number of agency wide emails sent out all throughout the process. From the introduction of legislation to sell their building that was filed months ago, up to just this past week. Those email provided information regarding what was happening as best as anyone knew. Confirmations or denials were at times appropriate since DEQ is ultimately not in charge of their own fate. The CLO is driving the bus. Its hard to confirm or deny things that are constantly changing. DEQ was moving to Sandridge, even had their floors picked out. But now they arenÂ’t. Things have been very fluid and nothing has been carved in stone. It isnÂ’t even certain that they will even move now from what I understand. But I also hear that the CLO is looking at other properties.

Pete
08-21-2020, 12:16 PM
The state will start moving in their first employees on Sept. 1.

As previously reported, they also bought all the furniture so it will be a relatively quick process given the number of people and agencies.

Southsider2
08-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Such a steal. Great purchase for the state.

Pete
09-09-2020, 12:51 PM
The state closed on the purchase of this property on 8/31/20. Paid $35.5 million.

Oklahoman reporting that the few remaining Sandridge employees will be moving elsewhere. I believe they are down to about 35 or so.

Pete
09-09-2020, 12:53 PM
One big bummer is that this property will now be exempt from property tax, which primarily funds schools.

Sandridge was pay about a half a million a year.

Pete
09-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Looks like the new name will be Oklahoma Commons.

theanvil
09-09-2020, 01:24 PM
One big bummer is that this property will now be exempt from property tax, which primarily funds schools.

Sandridge was pay about a half a million a year.

Wasn't there talk of the state flipping this to a REIT for a favorable long-term lease agreement? A REIT would still have to pay property tax. Or am I wrong and the state plans on being owner/manager/tenant of this property?

Pete
09-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Wasn't there talk of the state flipping this to a REIT for a favorable long-term lease agreement? A REIT would still have to pay property tax. Or am I wrong and the state plans on being owner/manager/tenant of this property?

The state owns it. It's already removed from the property tax roll.

gopokes88
09-10-2020, 08:14 AM

It’s something they could do, not that will or have too.

Pete
09-17-2020, 08:12 AM
From https://twitter.com/RobinsonParkMGT:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/okcommons091720a.jpg

David
09-17-2020, 08:41 AM
Interesting conversation in the twitter thread, particularly this bit:

https://twitter.com/LtGovPinnell/status/1306589454405165056

Oklahoma Commons is the name of the tenant association, it doesn’t have to be the name of the building. Bottom line- it’s going to have a different name. Working through that process now.

Pete
10-05-2020, 06:30 AM
State employees have started to move in.

Sandridge signage still up on the outside and in the lobby.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sandridge100420a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sandridge100420b.jpg

king183
10-05-2020, 10:18 AM
With a 1000 state employees ultimately moving in here, that should represent quite an influx of people into the area. This seems like it would be boon to restaurants in the area, if it weren't for COVID.

Pete
10-05-2020, 10:30 AM
With a 1000 state employees ultimately moving in here, that should represent quite an influx of people into the area. This seems like it would be boon to restaurants in the area, if it weren't for COVID.

Kitchen no. 324 should be an immediate beneficiary.

AP
10-05-2020, 11:38 AM
State employees have started to move in.

Sandridge signage still up on the outside and in the lobby.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sandridge100420a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sandridge100420b.jpg

When do they plan to change out this stuff?

catch22
10-05-2020, 11:41 AM
That "K" in Oklahoma is bothering me.

Pete
10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
That stylized K is part of the new state logo that was revealed in February.

It's shown on all the Oklahoma branding.

5alive
10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Slightly stylized L as well.

DowntownMan
04-14-2021, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know if they happened to bring a lot of new employees into this building this week? Something changed and Gaylord has had awful traffic at 4:30 this week Just thinking maybe an influx of new downtown workers?

HOT ROD
04-14-2021, 04:32 PM
surely they did. I also noticed the nice downtown traffic while visiting last week.

Pete
04-14-2021, 05:09 PM
They have definitely been adding chunks of employees over the last several months.

It may be more a matter of more employers asking people to work more often from the office rather than home.

I've noticed more rush hour traffic in general.

HangryHippo
04-14-2021, 05:13 PM
They have definitely been adding chunks of employees over the last several months.

It may be more a matter of more employers asking people to work more often from the office rather than home.

I've noticed more rush hour traffic in general.
The state recalled a number of employees back to the office on Monday. Maybe that’s part of it?

DowntownMan
04-14-2021, 05:25 PM
The state recalled a number of employees back to the office on Monday. Maybe that’s part of it?

Probably so. I noticed a horrible time getting out of Santa Fe garage starting Tuesday because Gaylord is I blocked in all lanes with south bound traffic
Guess this is the new normal then! Or until everyone figures out their commutes and adapts.

I figured it was coming soon with state and heartland adding hundred of employees that hadn’t been there prior to covid days. I’ll miss my commutes of no traffic while everyone was at home and I enjoyed the office with little other cars on drive home

Pete
04-14-2021, 05:33 PM
One thing about government employees: Many arrive and leave at the exact same time.

I've been outside city offices at 5PM on a weekday, and it's like everyone in the building left at once.

Anonymous.
04-15-2021, 02:28 PM
There is more employees in this building, yes. But the reason for the recent traffic jam on EKG is because of the construction on 235/35 south over the river. Most of these people used to enter SB I-235 @ Walnut/6th. But since that is a horrible backup, they can bypass some of the backup by going down EK Gaylord to use either OKC Boulevard onramp or the Shields onramp.

Pete
04-15-2021, 02:33 PM
There is more employees in this building, yes. But the reason for the recent traffic jam on EKG is because of the construction on 235/35 south over the river. Most of these people used to enter SB I-235 @ Walnut/6th. But since that is a horrible backup, they can bypass some of the backup by going down EK Gaylord to use either OKC Boulevard onramp or the Shields onramp.

Very good point.

I was heading south on I-235 and right before the I-35 junction and slightly beyond, at least one traffic lane was closed causing a big backup.

DowntownMan
04-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Very good point.

I was heading south on I-235 and right before the I-35 junction and slightly beyond, at least one traffic lane was closed causing a big backup.

Ah so I’m paying for their time savings by taking 15 minutes to get out of my parking garage. Well hopefully this is just short term. It just got heavier this week is what made me notice it. The garage never backed up but this week the exit ramp was backed up bumper to bumper all the way to top of garage to exit because of Gaylord traffic

Anonymous.
04-15-2021, 03:55 PM
If you are trying to go SOUTH and want a ninja way out of downtown. Exit the Santa Fe Garage on the N side and go west to Robinson. Travel south on Robinson all the way until you get to the river. Then go left on SE 15th and enter I-235 just east of there.

You can also try to get to that same onramp using EKG or Robinson to go south and then turn left to go east on the OKC Boulevard, but take the Lincoln Ave ramp toward the boathouse district, it will dump you off onto SE 15th.

SEMIweather
04-16-2021, 04:35 AM
I've been going into the office fairly regularly since moving back in November, and rush hour traffic started to get noticeably heavier around late February/early March. I don't have a good way to compare it to pre-COVID times as I'm living in a different part of town now than I was then, but it definitely seems like there are more and more people returning to in-person work with each passing week.