View Full Version : SandRidge Center & Commons

UnFrSaKn
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Wasn't one of the reasons for tearing down India Temple was because it stood in the line of sight of SandRidge Tower? A new tower will block it even more than that.

OKCisOK4me
07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/sandridge/sandridge3.jpg

Is it just me, or are they viewing "North By Northwest" on the movie projector??

Pete
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
The proposed tower would in fact go on the site of that parking garage. By the way, on the first two levels is an auditorium, a day care and office space -- the 3rd floor and roof are for parking. But all those will be replaced by the new building to be constructed just west of Kerr Park.

The "sight line" argument was used for removing the structures on the Robinson/Kerr intersection. I'm sure any new tower they build on the east side of the tower would approximate the footprint of what is there presently.

Just the facts
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Is it just me, or are they viewing "North By Northwest" on the movie projector??

That is correct and you are looking north by northwest in the rendering.

OKCisOK4me
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
That is correct and you are looking north by northwest in the rendering.

Lol, yeah, I thought about that later... Someone has a mind like me (yes you, but also the person who created the rendering).

OKCisOK4me
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I can't find one office tower that Rogers Marvel designed...they specialize more in urban planning, so I wonder if they will get someone else to design the new tower?

Wait a second....are you talking about that guy named Marvel that always calls into the Sports Animal?? I don't know about that, he seems a lil loopy ;-)

Duke
07-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Kerr McGee had almost 2000 employees packed in the tower in their heyday, Sandridge has about 400 employees, even if modern standards are more sq. ft per person, they still have LOTS of growing room in the tower, not to mention the Braniff. I hope I'm wrong, but not jumping on the unverified rumor mill yet.

It is correct that Kerr-McGee at one point had 2000+ people working downtown, it is incorrect that they were all in the tower. At it's largest, KM had all the buildings on the main campus full (the tower plus three others), plus office space in several other buildings. I know this because I used to work for KM.

Rover
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I can't find one office tower that Rogers Marvel designed...they specialize more in urban planning, so I wonder if they will get someone else to design the new tower?

They did the overall site plan, but I suspect that if they are involved further it will involve another architectural firm, probably local, and probably Rand Elliot. Wasn't Rand the local on the new building for them?

earlywinegareth
07-11-2011, 11:00 AM
"With a team that includes the local firms Elliott + Associates and Frankfurt Short Bruza and the Chicago-based Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects, Rogers Marvel will renovate the Belluschi building, re-skin the side of the Braniff building to open it up to a renovated plaza next door, and build a new employee facilities building with an auditorium, child care, and fitness center, including a rooftop basketball court. Hoerr Schaudt, working with the city and Elliott, will also renovate Kerr Park across the street with a sloping lawn and more trees. “Our practice is about the overlap between architecture, landscape, and urban design, so it’s kind of an ideal project for us,” Rogers said."

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=4232

Steve
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
It is correct that Kerr-McGee at one point had 2000+ people working downtown, it is incorrect that they were all in the tower. At it's largest, KM had all the buildings on the main campus full (the tower plus three others), plus office space in several other buildings. I know this because I used to work for KM.

Duke, can you approximate when Kerr-McGee hit 2,000 folks? I'm thinking this was probably about 1980 or so when the oil boom was going full steam and downtown occupancy was at zero. In my book "OKC Second Time Around" I wrote about how the company was seriously considering building a new office tower where the BancFirst drive-thru is now, just north of the Skirvin hotel. Even published the rendering for the building. I also find it curious that they never proceeded with their plan to build a twin to the Belluschi-designed tower.

G.Walker
07-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Planned Kerr McGee Center
September 18, 1984

Photo: Courtesy of http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2010/05/sandridge-holder-of-legacy.html

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/indiatemple/kerrmcgee_1984_09_18_plan.jpg?t=1274930719

UnFrSaKn
07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I kind of like two separate towers instead of two joined together. I've never seen this picture before. I don't see why they shouldn't build a new one taller than the current one, if it's going to be state of the art. Some have said modern floors are higher than old ones.

dmoor82
07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice find GWalker!I have never seen that either!

Pete
07-11-2011, 12:36 PM
In my book "OKC Second Time Around" I wrote about how the company was seriously considering building a new office tower where the BancFirst drive-thru is now, just north of the Skirvin hotel. Even published the rendering for the building

Steve where is this rendering located? In your book, I see the one of the Ron Burk proposed tower but nothing by Kerr Mac.

UnFrSaKn
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Color corrected version.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/kerr-mcgeetowers.jpg

Pete
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Was the second tower to be added to the west side of the current one?

dmoor82
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Weird,the other tower doesnt have different shaped windows all the way up!

Just the facts
07-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Weird,the other tower doesnt have different shaped windows all the way up!

Why make the same mistake twice?

KayneMo
07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I actually love the different shaped windows, it's unique.

dmoor82
07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Why make the same mistake twice?
I like the oddly shaped windows,it gives this box tower some character!

Larry OKC
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the pic (and the color crx'd one too), I had seen it before and thought it was over in Doug's blog but couldn't find it again when I looked. I like that design a lot better than the current plans and think the towers compliment each other well. Twins but not identical twins.

Patrick
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah, plans were for the 2nd tower to be built to the west, in place of Braniff and KerMac buildings.

David Pollard
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Thank goodness that monolith was not built. Looks like bad architecture in Riyadh out of the 70's.

Having said that, a creative and largely transparent highrise to the east of the current tower could redeem a small degree of Sandridge's loss of credibility in the community through its insensitive demolition of the India Temple. I could forsee a 40-story, mixed-use structure, with retail on the bottom 2 floors, 4 floors of parking topped by 34 floors of office space. Two towers, partially clad in concrete respectful of the existing complex, with a massive glass atrium between them to allow light through to the old tower. Simple.

MikeLucky
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Thank goodness that monolith was not built. Looks like bad architecture in Riyadh out of the 70's.

Having said that, a creative and largely transparent highrise to the east of the current tower could redeem a small degree of Sandridge's loss of credibility in the community through its insensitive demolition of the India Temple. I could forsee a 40-story, mixed-use structure, with retail on the bottom 2 floors, 4 floors of parking topped by 34 floors of office space. Two towers, partially clad in concrete respectful of the existing complex, with a massive glass atrium between them to allow light through to the old tower. Simple.

You SERIOUSLY overestimate both the insensitivity of Sandridge AND the loss of credibility in the community... lol. I don't think there's more than about 5 people who think what they did was anything short of a favor to the community. But, for some reason you seem to think you are owed something. That's laughable.

G.Walker
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Something like this would be a good fit:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/06/03/sk-office-tower-regina-harv.jpg

okcRE
07-12-2011, 04:20 PM

a 40-story tower would give downtown a great balance looking east and west.

metro
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Because companies are worried about a more balanced skyline...

dmoor82
07-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Fun game?Who can name the city to which this skyline belongs to,it looks kinda like OKC's skyline pre Devon,IMO!http://rochesterenvironment.com/images/Rochester_&_new_bridge.JPG

Rover
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Yep, photo was tagged Rochester and bridge.

Steve
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I wish we had some iconic bridges...

Just the facts
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Steve - you are killing me!!!!!!

mcca7596
07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
We will have one.

dmoor82
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Yep, photo was tagged Rochester and bridge.
LOL,I forgot that you could right click to get properties!

jbrown84
07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.newsok.com/sandridge-energys-plans-for-braniff-building-renovation-approved/article/3577840

1) I'm glad to see that Sandridge is already looking at replacing some of the lost density. That is reassuring.

2) I freaking love the "amenities building". Looks like the MoMA.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/kerr-mcgeetowers.jpg

It does appear to be right on Robinson. Wow. Looks like Kerr McGee had plans to demolish the YMCA building too. Very glad that didn't happen.

What I find interesting is they are planning to demolish the last parking structure and haven't discussed how they will replace it.

Steve
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Based on things I'm hearing, I'm gaining more and more confidence that we're going to see an office tower built at the India Temple site.... of course time will tell

Rover
07-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Based on things I'm hearing, I'm gaining more and more confidence that we're going to see an office tower built at the India Temple site.... of course time will tell

Tell me it isn't so. I thought SR was building a club room for Satan on that corner. LOL.

PhiAlpha
07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
1) I'm glad to see that Sandridge is already looking at replacing some of the lost density. That is reassuring.

2) I freaking love the "amenities building". Looks like the MoMA.

It does appear to be right on Robinson. Wow. Looks like Kerr McGee had plans to demolish the YMCA building too. Very glad that didn't happen.

What I find interesting is they are planning to demolish the last parking structure and haven't discussed how they will replace it.

Just because we haven't heard doesn't mean they havent discussed it. I guarantee they discussed building another tower, long before anyone heard about the commons projects. I'm sure they have a campus master plan with all of the details.

G.Walker
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM

You're killing me...lol...

bluedogok
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Tell me it isn't so. I thought SR was building a club room for Satan on that corner. LOL.
They upgraded it to a tower.....

earlywinegareth
07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Another factor that shouldn't be overlooked when discussing OKC's urban development over the decades is the boom/bust economic cycle tied to oil & gas. While I think OKC's economy is much more diversified now than in the past, no one can argue there isn't a palpable boom going on here now.

Separated at birth...Sandridge Center's twin is in Atlanta - the bldgs are 10 feet apart in height: http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=photo_compilation&id=1cocacolaplaza-atlanta-ga-usa&aid=8&lng=3

ljbab728
07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Another factor that shouldn't be overlooked when discussing OKC's urban development over the decades is the boom/bust economic cycle tied to oil & gas. While I think OKC's economy is much more diversified now than in the past, no one can argue there isn't a palpable boom going on here now.

Separated at birth...Sandridge Center's twin is in Atlanta - the bldgs are 10 feet apart in height: http://www.emporis.com/application/?nav=photo_compilation&id=1cocacolaplaza-atlanta-ga-usa&aid=8&lng=3

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see much similarity.

G.Walker
07-14-2011, 07:03 AM
It will be interesting to see, how the architect designs a 2011 modern office tower, to compliment a office tower designed in 1969. It will take a true and talented architect to pull that off, I can't wait!

Just the facts
07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
It will be interesting to see, how the architect designs a 2011 modern office tower, to compliment a office tower designed in 1969. It will take a true and talented architect to pull that off, I can't wait!

If you look at the facade update to the Braniff building and the new activities building it doesn't appear as if they are interested in try to compliment the old design at all.

G.Walker
07-14-2011, 07:13 AM
If you look at the facade update to the Braniff building and the new activities building it doesn't appear as if they are interested in try to compliment the old design at all.

True, but the new office tower will be more visible than those other buildings, and it will be right next to the original Sandridge Tower...I feel they would have to compliment the design in some fashion?

Just the facts
07-14-2011, 07:24 AM
We don't even know how tall this new building will be. In the model it looks to be no more than 10 floors. And why does it have to compliment it? Long ago I suggested that Sandridge go with a unified look similar to Peachtree Center (Atlanta), Rockefeller Center (NYC), or the Embarcadero Center (San Francisco). While this new building might in fact end up being just like the main tower, so far they are 0 for 2 in doing that.

G.Walker
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
We don't even know how tall this new building will be. In the model it looks to be no more than 10 floors. And why does it have to compliment it? Long ago I suggested that Sandridge go with a unified look similar to Peachtree Center (Atlanta), Rockefeller Center (NYC), or the Embarcadero Center (San Francisco). While this new building might in fact end up being just like the main tower, so far they are 0 for 2 in doing that.

That was an old model, Steve and others mentioned it will be at least 20 stories...I am not saying it has to compliment it, but it would be nice. My main point is just it will be interesting to see how the architect will design it. I am all for a modern look, but they are supposed to be upgrading old tower also, so we will see...

Rover
07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

There is a difference between complement and copy. They don't appear to be interested in copying the styles and repeating. Look at the activities center and the new facings on the Braniff. This is not unlike what Rand is doing at Chesapeake where he has integrated stylish contemporary architecture in and around traditional Georgian style core buildings. It works. Making all buildings the same isn't necessarily great design.

dmoor82
07-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Well Fargo in PHX looks like the Sandridge tower kinda!http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1039345260842&id=ab457b2e8d5caf47a027a7b82905d6e4&url=http%3a%2f%2fstatic.flickr.com%2f1397%2f131650 1097_541dbc96e9_z.jpg

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow. That really does. I was in Phoenix earlier this year, and never even noticed that.

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
I keep driving by and trying to figure out how it would fit. Will be really interesting to see how they pull it off architecturally if they do it.

Just the facts
07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
From the sidewalk along Broadway to the main tower is 171 feet. The tower itself is only 120 feet wide. They could build an exact replica of the existing tower and have 50' to spare. They will be tearing down the existing garage along Broadway.

Just the facts
07-15-2011, 11:33 AM
It was a popular design in 1971.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1971_architecture

Here is a list of buildings by the same architect. He seemed to like that concrete with square windows look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Belluschi

G.Walker
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I drove by the other day, and from pictures it doesn't look like a lot of room, but viewing the area in person, and with parking garage demolished, there is room to put a significant tower in that area.

Pete
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
There is plenty of room on the east side and even more (about 40 feet) on the west side.

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh, the footprint is definitely enough for a good-sized building. What I mean is I'm curious about how they will pull it off architecturally. You can't just cobble something on the side of that site, right up next to the existing tower.

Just the facts
07-15-2011, 01:41 PM
50' is pretty far. That is not much less than the distance between City Place and FNC at ground level.

Pete
07-15-2011, 02:19 PM
From today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sandridge71511.jpg

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Oh, you're not disagreeing with me, really. I don't mind that either. Just saying that since they are trying to create an "urban campus" (I'm not sure such a thing really exists in nature), they will doubtless try to have some unifying characteristics. I think the setback of that tower on all sides (which they have now highlighted with the demolitions) will make the whole thing awkward to pull off. I find it interesting to contemplate what the solution will be.

Just the facts
07-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I can only think of a few urban campuses but with each of their 3 buildings being different that train might have already left the station.

Patrick
07-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Why doesn't Sandridge put their name at the top of the building?