View Full Version : SandRidge Center & Commons

mheaton76
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Kerry, maybe they are building it so when we hit the Singularity (which experts predict will be within the next 30 years or less), we'll have plenty of time to think, while the machines do all the work.

They'll be great spaces to ponder our Gattaca-like existence
http://www.kavitachhibber.com/images/gattaca-2.jpg

architect5311
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Out of curiosity - who is going to use this plaza? How many people working downtown have time to lounge around for an hour and read a book under a tree? At best, this plaza would be used for 1 hour a day, and most days like if it is hot or cold, it won't be used at all. OKC isn’t ancient Greece where people are going to sit in public plazas and think great thoughts for hours on end. This is why every corporate plaza on the planet IS EMPTY under normal conditions.

Agree completely.......As in some CBD public plaza/park you might find a few people or small groups at lunch. Case in point, I worked downtown at FNC for 7 years, went to Couch/Kerr Park for lunch on occasion. You could count the number of people in both parks on two hands, same with the Myriad Gardens.

Again, we hire these out of state design firms who take on these projects with blinders on. The same is happening at the Myriad Gardens..........

Rover
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Boston Gardens, Central Park, etc., are used extensively by crowds of people.

The issue is this... if there are more people employed downtown there will be more pedestrians, more shoppers, more users of plazas and parks, etc. We need numbers of people. If we encourage SandRidge to grow downtown and for them to help attract other companies that do business with them to move downtown, then we will get people to occupy the plazas, parks, etc.

We just need to do what we need to do to get companies to locate downtown.

soonerguru
04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
OKC isn’t ancient Greece where people are going to sit in public plazas and think great thoughts for hours on end.

Thank you for this. I laughed out loud.

Kerry
04-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Boston Gardens, Central Park, etc., are used extensively by crowds of people.

Parks yes - plazas no. Parks are always full of people because they are an escape from the urban environment even if they are located smack dab in the center of a city. How many people would be in Central Park if it was paved and had flower beds? None.

Plazas are a big no go everywhere they have been tried. Go to Google Earth, select downtown Boston, zoom in so you can see 2 or 3 blocks at a time and look for corporate plazas. When you find one switch to street view and see if anyone is in them. They are all empty (with few few few exceptions).

Here is an examples.

300 Washington Street, Boston, Mass. The sidewalk is full of people, the corporate plaza has one person sitting on a bench.

6 Court St, Boston there is a small corporate plaza. Lots of people on the sidewalk but only two people sitting the plaza (and one appears to be of questionable socio-economic status).

40 South St, Boston. Large landscaped plaza similar to Sandridge plan. Hardley anyone on the sidewalks (places almost devoid of people) and one person is sitting on a flower bed retaining wall (probably tired from walking thru a plaza full of nothing).

earlywinegareth
04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Plazas are great in Europe's old cities where people are walking to & fro and the plaza is in the center with great fountains as a resting spot and a place to socialize.

Now, in America, I'd agree the next best thing are parks in urban settings where there is lots of pedestrian traffic. The two places that immediately come to my mind are Washington Square in NYC and OU's south oval. The common factor being lots of pedestrian traffic.

Kerry
04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Now, in America, I'd agree the next best thing are parks in urban settings where there is lots of pedestrian traffic. The two places that immediately come to my mind are Washington Square in NYC and OU's south oval. The common factor being lots of pedestrian traffic.

This is where the logic breaks down. Sandridge isn't planning a park nor a public square. They are planning a corporate plaza where they think people are going to lounge around and enjoy the day. I wonder if Sandridge would like it if half their employees spent 4 hours of the work day lounging in their corporate plaza. They probably wouldn't like it but they seem to think the other employers in the area are going to let their employees do it. No one is going to use this plaza other than for lunch.

Architect2010
04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
To Popsy:

I grew up in the inner southside and still I reside here as a 17 year old about to go off to Edmond for college.[ironic huh?] But some of my most fond memories are walking down to the corner store, or actually there were about 5 corner stores I could walk to within 3
minutes, and getting candy or a drink; I enjoy the distinctive nature of all the homes, the diversity in my neighborhood, about 50% white, 30% hispanic, and 20% black; I enjoy the activity that always seems to occur; I loved going downtown and being surrounded by this giant buildings; I love Bricktown and it's undeniable energy. There's really not really an evolution into an urban mindset, which is what I think you are not understanding, as there is an evolution into your suburban mindset Popsy. It's just something that one prefers honestly. Urban environment have a buzzing, living, energy that I know you must agree does not exist in suburbs. I want to protect what little OKC has left of that.

Suburbia is the exact opposite of that. When I travel to suburbs, I literally feel alien. These wide open shopping centers, 5 lane roads, no sidewalks, parking lots everywhere, houses that all look exactly the same with garages that take up more prominence of the facade then the actual house itself, and also the people that comprise a suburb are generally a majority of one demographic, and basic interaction is gone. It's incredibly coordinated and inorganic to me, in a sense that communities are organic components of human life. Suburbs hold no special dynamic, they are merely maintained and aesthetically pleasing [well, not to me anyways] to a majority of people, there is nothing unique or defining about them at all.

jbrown84
04-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Again, we hire these out of state design firms who take on these projects with blinders on. The same is happening at the Myriad Gardens..........

You don't like the new plans? They fixed the problems with the current design, IMO. James Burnett himself is here on a regular basis working on the gardens project. This is not a matter of some out of state firm throwing some design together from their corporate tower having never seen the site or its surrounds.

kinggober
04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
According to Steve, it looks like the Downtown Design Review Committee just voted 6-1 in favor of demolition.

CuatrodeMayo
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Tragic.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--George Santayana

Kerry
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
According to Steve, it looks like the Downtown Design Review Committee just voted 6-1 in favor of demolition.

That would be disappointing. For the second time 3 days, OKC gets fouled in the act and there is no call from the refs.

Oh well, this will give me (and others) prime "I told you so" material. I am still smarting from my Bass Pro Shops support. At least I learned from the mistake.

Pete
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM
This means all of the buildings they wanted torn down (four in total, I believe) would be razed?

OKCMallen
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4057/img01581x.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/img01581x.jpg/)

metro
04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
That's cool. Too bad they didn't do a mega sized Kevin Durant!

OKCMallen
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
That's cool. Too bad they didn't do a mega sized Kevin Durant!

the SR building isn't tall enough. ;)

Architect2010
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM
How incredibly sad [and also angry] I am at the outcome of this. It seems our Downtown Design Review Committee fails to make the right decisions in terms of what Downtown is and what it represents. This is a huge blow to our density downtown and potential street life. We have essentially taken an entire block occupied by significant buildings and turned it into yet another plaza/park. Thankyou Sandridge, and more disappointingly, thankyou Downtown Design Review Committee.

However, I am being hopeful, does anyone think that these park/plaza replacements are only temporary? As in, is it possible that buildings may be eventually built where the old ones once stood? That is ultimately what I wanted; I don't care much for historic buildings but I do care much for density and the environment it creates versus a windswept plaza.

Kerry
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
However, I am being hopeful, does anyone think that these park/plaza replacements are only temporary? As in, is it possible that buildings may be eventually built where the old ones once stood? That is ultimately what I wanted; I don't care much for historic buildings but I do care much for density and the environment it creates versus a windswept plaza.

Don't count on it. We are going to be stuck with an empty hole on the north side of downtown OKC for years.

OUGrad05
04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't count on it. We are going to be stuck with an empty hole on the north side of downtown OKC for years.

years? try decades

Pete
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
My biggest concern is that they'll tear down the four structures then 1) not have the money to complete their ambitious plans and/or 2) are acquired and everything falls apart (ala the Kerr McGee sale and the proposed condos).

But now that this has been decided, I'll hope this all works out and thank SandRidge for pouring another $100 million into the CBD.

OUGrad05
04-08-2010, 09:01 PM
My biggest concern is that they'll tear down the four structures then 1) not have the money to complete their ambitious plans and/or 2) are acquired and everything falls apart (ala the Kerr McGee sale and the proposed condos).

But now that this has been decided, I'll hope this all works out and thank SandRidge for pouring another $100 million into the CBD.

I'm also worried about SD, I like them and have several friends who work there. So I want them to succeed and I want them to succeed because they are an Oklahoma company. But they're highly leveraged and jsut bought Arena Resources...

NickFiggins
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm also worried about SD, I like them and have several friends who work there. So I want them to succeed and I want them to succeed because they are an Oklahoma company. But they're highly leveraged and jsut bought Arena Resources...

If the Nat Gas price doesn't go north of $6 in the next few months, it looks very troublesome for Sand Ridge, and CHK for that matter.

OUGrad05
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
If the Nat Gas price doesn't go north of $6 in the next few months, it looks very troublesome for Sand Ridge, and CHK for that matter.

I don't see it going north of 6 bucks until we get into the next heating season...that could change with a terrorist attack or monster hurricane but I thnk we're headed for low 3's or upper 2s again this year just like last year.

architect5311
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
You don't like the new plans? They fixed the problems with the current design, IMO. James Burnett himself is here on a regular basis working on the gardens project. This is not a matter of some out of state firm throwing some design together from their corporate tower having never seen the site or its surrounds.

In many aspect it is.............the same goes for what has happened with the Sandridge development. The same happened when I.M. Pei was hired to design a "New Modern" downtown CBD......

Larry OKC
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/sandridge-demolition-plan-okd/article/3452555?custom_click=lead_story_title)

SandRidge demolition plan OK'd (Oklahoman, 4/9/10)
BY STEVE LACKMEYER

SandRidge Energy moved one step closer Thursday in its plan to demolish six buildings on its downtown campus — the largest clearance since the heyday of Urban Renewal in the 1970s.

Two of the buildings are more than 50 years old, and one — the original India Temple Building — is downtown’s oldest surviving structure having been built in 1902.

The demolitions were approved 6-1 by the Downtown Design Review Committee despite a report by city staff advising the SandRidge plan would harm downtown density and suburbanize the area around the former home of Kerr-McGee.

The vote followed a warning by member Anthony McDermid that the committee may feel they have "blood on our hands” for allowing the demolition. ...

I must have misunderstood...thought there was 4 buildings in question and "only" 2 were going to be destroyed.

Kerry
04-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Four? Six? What is the difference? Anyone in favor of destroying four building would certainly be in favor of destroying 6. Or is there something magical about the number 5? I think Sandridge is making a huge huge mistake.

PLM
04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Can anyone explain who owned these 4, 5, or 6 buildings prior to SD? Were they always under K-M ownership and when SD moved down here, they became the rightful owner? Why were they vacant? Why weren't they purchased for renovation before?

I clearly understand the sentiment shared on this topic, but I don't think I understand the concept that vacant, deteriorating buildings that no one cared to purchase or renovate before are suddenly valuable when SD decided to demolish them. Again, learning the history of ownership might answer some of these questions for me.

BoulderSooner
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
the fact that anthony mcdermitt voted for this makes me feel not as bad about it ...

also empty building don't equal the kind of density that we need in down town

OKCMallen
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
So what do people WANT downtown instead? My understanding is that we have overage on office space, and underage on living areas.

metro
04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Four? Six? What is the difference? Anyone in favor of destroying four building would certainly be in favor of destroying 6. Or is there something magical about the number 5? I think Sandridge is making a huge huge mistake.

Let's just demolish everything besides the Skirvin, Sandridge and the new Devon and let the oil companies and Urban Renewal start from scratch.:doh:

BDP
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I can't believe that there are still people out there that think we haven't torn down enough buildings. Why do they think it will be any different this time around?

metro
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
This city never ceases to learn, 2 steps forward, 4 steps back. Notice how they put the Thunder banners up near the same time as a positive PR move (which I'm thankful for and wish we'd see more of that in this city). On the news they made it sound like the demolition was good and kept focusing on the Thunder banners (which are on all 4 sides now, or at least 2 from what I could tell on the tv shot).

BoulderSooner
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
? how are empty old unusable buildings good for downtown??

BDP
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Notice how they put the Thunder banners up near the same time as a positive PR move

It's amazing how well this stuff works around here, though.

What's funny is that I would have been less upset if they tore down the tower. : )

metro
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
? how are empty old unusable buildings good for downtown??

From what I hear from McDermid and Lackmeyer, they didn't sound like they were beyond repair to me. How is replacing them with grass any better?

OKCMallen
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
From what I hear from McDermid and Lackmeyer, they didn't sound like they were beyond repair to me. How is replacing them with grass any better?

If it was economical to retrofit and repurpose those buildings, don't you think someone would have stepped up by now to do it?

Rover
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Not one of the people on here or otherwise has been willing to actually re-build these structures to be razed. Not one thinks that there is an economic value. Apparently no one has thought enough of the buildings to get them qualified as historical, or if they tried, they couldn't. So instead, everyone wants deteriorating, empty, worthless buildings to stand in the midst of downtown just so we have "density". That makes no sense.

I hope that SR grows, helps attract other companies downtown, and the density of PEOPLE downtown leads to other urban properties being developed. Buildings don't make an urban area, PEOPLE make it. The buildings will come if the people ask for it and are willing to PAY for it.

I hear people on here whine about the cost of living downtown, but they want others to invest alot of money so they can brag about an "urban" skyline. The best way to get it is to invest in it. Move downtown, work downtown, spend downtown. That makes property worth too much to leave setting. The reason developments work downtown in other cities is because people are willing to spend the money to be there.

Folks, we are talking about basic economics.

OKCMallen
04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Not one of the people on here or otherwise has been willing to actually re-build these structures to be razed. Not one thinks that there is an economic value. Apparently no one has thought enough of the buildings to get them qualified as historical, or if they tried, they couldn't. So instead, everyone wants deteriorating, empty, worthless buildings to stand in the midst of downtown just so we have "density". That makes no sense.

I hope that SR grows, helps attract other companies downtown, and the density of PEOPLE downtown leads to other urban properties being developed. Buildings don't make an urban area, PEOPLE make it. The buildings will come if the people ask for it and are willing to PAY for it.

I hear people on here whine about the cost of living downtown, but they want others to invest alot of money so they can brag about an "urban" skyline. The best way to get it is to invest in it. Move downtown, work downtown, spend downtown. That makes property worth too much to leave setting. The reason developments work downtown in other cities is because people are willing to spend the money to be there.

Thank you! :congrats:

Kerry
04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
@Rover and OKCMallen - of the buildings in question - there are people that want to convert them to housing. Unfortunately, what got lost in the debate is the actual plan itself. The plan put forth by Sandridge is not going to be the oasis they think it is going to be. It will be a 100% unused disaster. I offer as proof EVERY corporate plaza in the United States.

As I recommended to everyone, log onto Google Earth, pick your favorite downtown, zoom in so you can see a few blocks at a time, find plazas, switch to Street View and see if people are using them. They are not using them. They are nothing more than barren obstacles that must be crossed to get where people are going. In some cases, people don't even cut across them, they go around them, or avoid the area altogether.

Here are some more examples.

1606 Smith St, Houston, TX. - landscaped green space and no one there. Five people walking by on the sidewalk. I don't understand, why aren't the people that work in the adjacent office building out lounging in the plaza thinking great thoughts?

572 Clay St, Houston, TX - landscaped green space and no one there. Three people walking by on the sidewalk. I don't understand, why aren't the people that work in the adjacent office building out lounging in the plaza thinking great thoughts?

1122 Lamar St, Houson, TX - coporate plaza and it has people there - 6 people waiting for a bus under a small shelter and 5 people walking thru. But still no one lounging around thinking deep thoughts.

1200 McKinney St, Houston, TX - plaza is empty. Where are all of Houston's deep thinkers? Maybe they are at their desks looking out the window at the empty plazas.

BDP
04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
how are empty old unusable buildings good for downtown??

This is what they said about the Skirvin and most of bricktown for that matter.

Don't buy the "unusable" label. I have seen many buildings labeled "unusable" that later become functioning icons of the cities and companies that use them.

In the end, it's hard to see how totally empty space is an improvement over empty, but potentially iconic buildings, that could be used again by an owner who cared enough to do it. I think we have already forgoten that Kerr McGee actually had plans to restore some of these "unusable" buildings. I guess they didn't get the memo.

I really think it may take another generation of Oklahoman Citians who are actually used to thinking of downtown as a functioning city center before this changes. A lot of those in charge now still take the "it's better than nothing" approach and feel that anything old is disposable as long as the company doing it has the right profile.

Architect2010
04-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Your argument is irrelevant Rover. You fail to realize that we aren't wanting to keep the old buildings just because they 'create density' and are 'timely'. I could care less if they were destroyed, but what irks me is when they are replaced with GRASS. If they built them replacements or at least let the parcels of land be open to future infill rather than a plaza then I would be content. However, they aren't. They have no active plan to ever redevelop what they plan to tear down. It is knocking a hole in our downtown and not even attempting to fix it. Hell, those buildings, like BDG said, could be potential icons; I guarantee that another lifeless plaza isn't going to be economical. If they really wanted to, they could turn those 'useless' buildings into a major profit. So again, your argument is flawed. They just didn't take the ambition. The problem is, something there [deteriorating or new] is better than the encouraged suburbanization of our downtown. There are many other uses they could use for that land, until prospective office building creates infill for the to-be-vacant lots, that could be used for in a downtown than a suburban park and I'm sure you agree.

Pete
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
They had originally planned on razing four building but the total of six must also include the existing parking garage just west of the tower and maybe the one east too, as they both have to give way for one, large structure on the east side (facing Broadway).

Popsy
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Rover, basic economics does not fly with the forum's urbanists. I can feel their pain right now and I know this wake will help them accept what is happening sometime in the next fifty years. It will be tough on them though, so maybe we should allow them their period of grief without input from the realist members of the forum.

Pete
04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Regarding usability, many times (even in OKC) they gut the whole building, prop up the outside masonry walls, then completely rebuild.

It's never as cheap as building something new, but that's the whole point of design committees, historical registers, preservationists, federal grants, tax incentives, etc. Otherwise, everything would get scraped.

You simply can't replicate character and the details in these older buildings. And once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Architect2010
04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
What do you mean Popsy? The continued suburbanization of all America's cities? The death kneel of sustainable culture in our country and? Maybe you're the one that doesn't realize just how wrong you are. I am a realist, and the reality is that this city has a one track mind, and it's not changing anytime soon. Regardless, it's worth trying to fix what we have broken, and so far it has worked. Look at the life of our inner city from the past ten years and your argument of us not being 'realists' goes out the window. We have made progress and it's our very attitudes that have caused it. Not your pessimistic outlook or 'realist' disposition as you so call it.

Popsy
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
A-10, I usually try to avoid debates with children so I will abstain, but I would like to know if I understand what you are saying. What I read of your assertions was that culture is on it's death bed because of suburbanization and the inner city progress made in the last ten years is due to the attitudes of our local urbanists. Interesting view point.

mugofbeer
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
What do you mean Popsy? The continued suburbanization of all America's cities? The death kneel of sustainable culture in our country and? Maybe you're the one that doesn't realize just how wrong you are. I am a realist, and the reality is that this city has a one track mind, and it's not changing anytime soon. Regardless, it's worth trying to fix what we have broken, and so far it has worked. Look at the life of our inner city from the past ten years and your argument of us not being 'realists' goes out the window. We have made progress and it's our very attitudes that have caused it. Not your pessimistic outlook or 'realist' disposition as you so call it.

Architect - I think you're going pretty far overboard. Society and culture aren't dependent on tightly packed downtown buildings. It's dependent on a lot more than that and OKC is well on it's way to becoming far more than it has been. It's unfortunate that these buildings appear to be beyond repair for the most part but they aren't the death knell of the city, for crying out loud (LOL). Get a grip.

Kerry
04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Mug and Popsy, I think they read something that wasn't written. Try reading A-10's post again. All he said was that if American cities turn their pedestrian oriented downtowns in to suburban style office parks we won't have any place left that is pedestrian friendly. That is true.

Popsy
04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Mug and Popsy, I think they read something that wasn't written. Try reading A-10's post again. All he said was that if American cities turn their pedestrian oriented downtowns in to suburban style office parks we won't have any place left that is pedestrian friendly. That is true.

Kerry, I reread his post and failed to find anything about pedestrian oriented and friendly. If you are saying that I failed to interpret his his post as meaning he was referring to pedestrian oriented and pedestrian friendly, you are correct. It sailed right over my head. Sorry A-10.

mugofbeer
04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I understand his point very well. I guess I didn't make my statement clear in the tone it was intended. I just thing you all need to get a grip.

I will ask directly, have any of you actually toured the buildings slated for demolition?

It seems a lot of folks are saying with the exception of one building, that they are in such a state of disrepair, they can't be saved. I would love it if they could be and turned into retail, bars, restaurants, etc but if they can't be saved economically, they can't be saved. I don't see what's so hard about that. If Warren Buffet lived here and had money to burn, he may be able to afford to hire craftsmen who could repair and carefully replace all the structural elements, but there isn't anyone here with that sort of money. It appears renovation is economically not an option.

Kerry
04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Mug - you are missing the point, or we aren't making it clear. I could care less about the actual building themselves. As you can tell from the Politics page, I am not a big preservationist. I am concerned about what is coming, not what is going away. A corporate plaza will be a black hole disaster. I would rather see 4 empty buildings than a landscaped corporate plaza.

earlywinegareth
04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
After having read the comments by the committee members, I concur with their decision. This isn't the ideal choice, of course. Ideally, we'd be raving about a new skyscraper breaking ground on the site...but we're nowhere near there yet. This is the next best thing for now and much much much better than having deteriorating eyesores cluttering up the area. Check out the project on the architect's website, it's not so bad.

Kerry
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
This is the next best thing for now and much much much better than having deteriorating eyesores cluttering up the area. Check out the project on the architect's website, it's not so bad.

The buildings are hardly eyesores.

mugofbeer
04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
They buildings are hardly eyesores.

But according to most of the people whose comments I have read, they are not economically repairable. Kerry, I understand that you would be satisfied to see them replaced with something else. That can always be done if the courtyard approach doesn't draw the multitudes of crowds.

Pete
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I think almost everyone would be satisfied if SR merely built a new structure along Robinson instead of making a huge plaza there.

That way the "urban canyon" would be preserved as would a general feeling of density.

This is really my only concern about their current plans, especially since they will be creating plenty of open space even if they did add back a building at that location.

metro
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
@Rover and OKCMallen - of the buildings in question - there are people that want to convert them to housing. Unfortunately, what got lost in the debate is the actual plan itself. The plan put forth by Sandridge is not going to be the oasis they think it is going to be. It will be a 100% unused disaster. I offer as proof EVERY corporate plaza in the United States.

Exactly. Why is this any different especially in OKC that is lacking critical density.

This is what they said about the Skirvin and most of bricktown for that matter.

Don't buy the "unusable" label. I have seen many buildings labeled "unusable" that later become functioning icons of the cities and companies that use them.

In the end, it's hard to see how totally empty space is an improvement over empty, but potentially iconic buildings, that could be used again by an owner who cared enough to do it. I think we have already forgoten that Kerr McGee actually had plans to restore some of these "unusable" buildings. I guess they didn't get the memo.

I really think it may take another generation of Oklahoman Citians who are actually used to thinking of downtown as a functioning city center before this changes. A lot of those in charge now still take the "it's better than nothing" approach and feel that anything old is disposable as long as the company doing it has the right profile.

Agreed. Skirvin was not financially feasible until the City gave millions in tax incentives. Why can't we do the same for the India temple, downtown's oldest remaining building?

Regarding usability, many times (even in OKC) they gut the whole building, prop up the outside masonry walls, then completely rebuild.

It's never as cheap as building something new, but that's the whole point of design committees, historical registers, preservationists, federal grants, tax incentives, etc. Otherwise, everything would get scraped.

You simply can't replicate character and the details in these older buildings. And once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Yep, and remember both Kerr McGee and McDermid had plans to do so just 3-4 years ago.

If it was economical to retrofit and repurpose those buildings, don't you think someone would have stepped up by now to do it?

Remember that Kerr McGee and McDermid tried to, why can't Sandridge do the same. You act as if an energy company doesn't have money to spare. Look at all the philantrophy CHK and Devon have done. I'm not saying we are "owed" it by SD, but they could preserve it if they wanted to, they simply don't care to and that's the sad reality of it.

Again your point is irrelevant, the Skirvin was not economically feasible without the federal brownfield grants and the millions the city invested. Should we tear down these 6 buildings and the Skirvin? Then we can make an even larger park with the Skirvin gone. Heck, let's just make all of downtown a giant park except Bricktown, Devon and Sandridge. Then it can be Core2EnergyCompaniesandthemostoverusedwordinOklaho ma

ultimatesooner
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
so glad Sandridge gets to spend their money as they see fit and they don't have to listen to a bunch of people who wanna contol how other people spend their money

CuatrodeMayo
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh please, don't make this a tea-bagging issue...

Kerry
04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
so glad Sandridge gets to spend their money as they see fit and they don't have to listen to a bunch of people who wanna contol how other people spend their money

Once again, if you read the Politics page you will not find a stronger supporter of private property rights than me. I don't see anyone arguing that Sandridge can't do what they want with their land, all we are trying to do is point out that there are other things they could do that would have a more positive impact, not just for themselves but for the entire downtown community.

Tom Ward's stated goal was to make their office building more accessable to the public and have a higher profile presence from the street. You can do this in two ways. 1) You can remove everything between the street and the building, thus making a large open space (which they plan to do) or 2) You can bring the building to the sidewalk. Obviously you can't move a 350' building closer to the street but they could have used the same facade design that is on the main tower and applied it to the existing strucutres and created one large unified campus. This has been done in several cities and has worked so well they are considered landmarks. Nowhere is the world is a corporate plaza considered a landmark. Even the corporate plaza at the World Trade Center was empty and it sat at the base of two tower that had over 50,000 people in them. Hell, when you think of what was the entire World Trade Center site the thing people remember is the building facade - not that stuipd empty plaza with a fountain.

Please see the following projects that used unified design across multiple buildings (and multiple city blcoks) to create one entity:

The proverbial ball was dropped!

Embarcadero Center - San Francisco
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Embarcadero_center_SF.jpg

Peachtree Center - Atlanta
http://paulmunsey.com/atlanta/dscn0709.jpg

Rockefeller Center - New York City
http://www.greenroofs.com/projects/rockefeller_center/rockefeller_center1.jpg

ronronnie1
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
So I'm assuming Sandridge's plan was approved, and the buildings in question will be destroyed afterall?

How is this happening? Seriously? I don't get it. It seems like such a no brainer to just LEAVE THE FVCKING BUILDINGS ALONE!