View Full Version : Films: What happened to.....

Pages : [1] 2

papaOU
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Some movies are shown over and over and.........Then there are those that must have been hidden away or worse.

What happened to the Dondi movies and comic strips?

Francis the talking mule?

Danny Kaye films?

lt14life
10-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Some movies are shown over and over and.........Then there are those that must have been hidden away or worse.

What happened to the Dondi movies and comic strips?

Francis the talking mule?

Danny Kaye films?
Oh yes Danny Kaye, I liked his films and Red Skelton. You dont see them on T.V. anymore but you can find them on DVD, Im also a big Laurel & Hardy fan and I remember every weekend watching them. AAAAH The good ole day's !!!!!

papaOU
10-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh yes Danny Kaye, I liked his films and Red Skelton. You dont see them on T.V. anymore but you can find them on DVD, Im also a big Laurel & Hardy fan and I remember every weekend watching them. AAAAH The good ole day's !!!!!

On Saturday mornings my Dad would get up early head to Dennis Donuts and buy hot glazed. when he got them home it was donuts, milk, and Tarzan. Seems like Laurel & Hardy were Sunday morning. Might be wrong. L&H can often be found on TCM. Shorts and movies. Those guys can bring tears to my eyes each time I watch them.

Generals64
10-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Do you two remember when the three stooges were on every day?....There was a Danny Kaye movie on last week....He was a court jester or something....didn't watch it.....how lil Abner and Daisy Mae....???? .... I wish they would have a nostalgia channel and sho nothing but the old televison shows....Fury, My Little Margie,...$64,000 question, what's my line, the honeymooners, sky king, Topper, Spin and Marty....The original Mickey Mouse club....There could be a complete weekly schedule that would last until the "Baby Boomers" died away and it would undoubtedly by a "Hit"....

gen70
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
On Saturday mornings my Dad would get up early head to Dennis Donuts and buy hot glazed. when he got them home it was donuts, milk, and Tarzan. Seems like Laurel & Hardy were Sunday morning. Might be wrong. L&H can often be found on TCM. Shorts and movies. Those guys can bring tears to my eyes each time I watch them.

My favorite was when Laurel and Hardy were in WWI and Stan got left behind and didn't know the war was over for many years. He finally comes home and the real funny stuff starts happening.

jmarkross
10-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I was a great admirer of Laurel and Hardy. While living in L.A. for many years...I used to try and find the old buildings. streets and neighborhoods where they filmed...most were in Hollywood...along Laurel Canyon Blvd. and into the San Fernando Valley--when it was just a rural area, really. Even had a book of pictures from the films to find the old Apt,. houses and streets where they filmed...was a great bit of fun to do. They were the best! Did the same thing with a lot of the Our Gang series, which took me to Toluca Lake as well...

skyrick
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
My favorite was when Laurel and Hardy were in WWI and Stan got left behind and didn't know the war was over for many years. He finally comes home and the real funny stuff starts happening.

Yeah, that one and "The Music Box" where they haul a piano up an endless series of steps outside...over and over again. Hitch-hiking through California in '71 I actually walked up those steps.

A cop was hassling them and Stan had had enough, "See here, now! Don't you think you're bounding over your steps?" Ollie shoves him back, flutters his necktie at the cop and says, "I believe what he meant is that you're overstepping your bounds." They both get konked with the billy club.

Generals64
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, that one and "The Music Box" where they haul a piano up an endless series of steps outside...over and over again. Hitch-hiking through California in '71 I actually walked up those steps.

A cop was hassling them and Stan had had enough, "See here, now! Don't you think you're bounding over your steps?" Ollie shoves him back, flutters his necktie at the cop and says, "I believe what he meant is that you're overstepping your bounds." They both get konked with the billy club.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++
It's cool to read that you guys (and many others) can even "quote" lines from the movie....Can you quote anything from Castle last week. Or, anything from "Pawn Stars" which is one of the top cable shows. around....We need to try to convince one of the smaller stations to have a nostalgia evening and Saturday Morning Starting line-up would begin with "The Bowery Boys"......Laurel and Hardy.....The real Mickey Mouse club....Two or three Cartoons....(Mighty Mouse....Tom and Jerry) then at 11:00 a.m. Fury with Joey...then Sky King along with Topper and then The Three Stooges and then Hopalong Cassidy and then a Great John Wayne or Randolph Scott....then we could all meet at Coit's for a late lunch and go fishing with Prunepicker...

ljbab728
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
It's not just us nostalgia buffs that would like to see those old shows on a regular basis. For most of them the appeal is timeless and would be appreciated by most of the younger generation today. I defy any youngster to watch the Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, or the Our Gang comedies without a smile coming on their face.

papaOU
10-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Good deal he was left alone! All those cans of beans

papaOU
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++
It's cool to read that you guys (and many others) can even "quote" lines from the movie....Can you quote anything from Castle last week. Or, anything from "Pawn Stars" which is one of the top cable shows. around....We need to try to convince one of the smaller stations to have a nostalgia evening and Saturday Morning Starting line-up would begin with "The Bowery Boys"......Laurel and Hardy.....The real Mickey Mouse club....Two or three Cartoons....(Mighty Mouse....Tom and Jerry) then at 11:00 a.m. Fury with Joey...then Sky King along with Topper and then The Three Stooges and then Hopalong Cassidy and then a Great John Wayne or Randolph Scott....then we could all meet at Coit's for a late lunch and go fishing with Prunepicker...

don't forget Heckle and Jeckle

Jungle Theater brought to you by Fretwell's

jmarkross
10-08-2010, 02:45 AM
The boys....

skyrick
10-08-2010, 05:39 AM

This summer Turner Classic Movies was showing Bowery Boys films every Sat or Sun morning. I forget which. As for quoting old films, I've got 5 DVDs of Laurel & Hardy, 4 Marx Bros and 4 WC Fields'.

Favorite WC Fields quote: he's walking down the street with another gent of approximately his age, "People say I don't like children. That's ridiculous, I love children. Especially female children...between the ages of 18 and 21.

skyrick
10-08-2010, 05:41 AM
The boys....

That's the dance scene outside the saloon in "Way Out West".

jmarkross
10-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Favorite WC Fields quote: he's walking down the street with another gent of approximately his age, "People say I don't like children. That's ridiculous, I love children. Especially female children...between the ages of 18 and 21.

My favorite was the spelling of "Carl LaFong"...from "It's A Gift" and the scene from the filming during the Long Beach earthquake in 1933...

gen70
10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
634 My hero's.

lt14life
10-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Yes Im pretty sure it was on Sunday mornings for the Laurel & Hardy shows, I have been able to locate several of their movies on ebay if anybody has been looking, also you can watch alot of great clips on youtube.

jmarkross
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Whatever happened to "Beam's Seat Covers"...they sure had a lot of TV ads way back when...must have been successful...remember in the 50's car seats didn't last very long in most cars...especially Ford and Chrysler products...

Generals64
10-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Whatever happened to "Beam's Seat Covers"...they sure had a lot of TV ads way back when...must have been successful...remember in the 50's car seats didn't last very long in most cars...especially Ford and Chrysler products...

Yeah and wasn't there a place called Nip and Van where they did upholstery also?...I always went to Hoaglin's for upholstery repairs however....(cheaper) lived south side remember?

jmarkross
10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah and wasn't there a place called Nip and Van where they did upholstery also?...I always went to Hoaglin's for upholstery repairs however....(cheaper) lived south side remember?

I just remember that old song from Beam's...

Beam's Seat Cover
Are the Dream Seat Covers
Use the 30 or the 60 or the 90-day
Easy Payment Plan!

It is a testimony to good advertising when someone can still remember that after 50+ years! And--I remember how dreadfully ugly those woven plastic crapola seat covers were...yikes!

skyrick
10-08-2010, 05:29 PM

My favorite was the spelling of "Carl LaFong"...from "It's A Gift" and the scene from the filming during the Long Beach earthquake in 1933...

The earthquake occurred during filming of the short "The Dentist" I believe.

papaOU
10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
The earthquake occurred during filming of the short "The Dentist" I believe.

one of my favorites is from the Dentist as well. Of course he lived with his daughter in the back. Looking for his glasses,hat and a couple of other items. He would pat her on the side when asking. She is bent over the icebox (real icebox) he pats her concerning another question but she is bent over and he ends up patting her rear. She says, "50 pounds and chop it fine." he has a fit and she explains she thought he was the ice man

papaOU
10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Groucho Marx to Margarete Dumont. I can see you bending over a hot stove. I can see you but not the stove!

jmarkross
10-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Groucho Marx to Margarete Dumont. I can see you bending over a hot stove. I can see you but not the stove!

"You Bet Your Life" was a classic...still great to watch when you can find it. My fav from that one was while remarking about a waitress who asked him if he would "like a fork"--to which he replied--"your place or mine!"...the guest were almost always bizarre characters as well...

skyrick
10-09-2010, 08:10 AM
one of my favorites is from the Dentist as well. Of course he lived with his daughter in the back. Looking for his glasses,hat and a couple of other items. He would pat her on the side when asking. She is bent over the icebox (real icebox) he pats her concerning another question but she is bent over and he ends up patting her rear. She says, "50 pounds and chop it fine." he has a fit and she explains she thought he was the ice man

I loved his "swearing" too. "Godfrey Daniels! Mother of Pearl!"

gen70
10-09-2010, 09:50 AM
636637 The boy'z.

skyrick
10-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Generals64. The Bowery Boys were on TCM this morning.

Now I'm off to the Ballpark in Arlington to watch my Rangers sweep the Rays!

Generals64
10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I noticed the other night that the movie Channel played nothing but silent movies for about two days.....Anyone know anything about that???

skyrick
10-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I noticed the other night that the movie Channel played nothing but silent movies for about two days.....Anyone know anything about that???

Fora couple of years they showed silents from 10 pm to 2 am. On Sunday night/Monday morning.

papaOU
10-12-2010, 09:55 PM

I do. It's on TCM usually starting about midnight Sunday, "Sunday Silents" They now show them most of the morning. Especially shorts with Chevy Chase, Fatty Arbucle, Marion Davis, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keyton..........

Prunepicker
10-14-2010, 11:46 PM
don't forget Heckle and Jeckle

Jungle Theater brought to you by Fretwell's
and they'd drive those used cars around in a circle while the
guy talked about them. The Tarzan movies were uncut, too.
Remember how they'd rip people into on those poles the
split apart?

skyrick
10-15-2010, 05:44 AM
and they'd drive those used cars around in a circle while the
guy talked about them. The Tarzan movies were uncut, too.
Remember how they'd rip people into on those poles the
split apart?

It was always the native bearers that got the pole treatment. I guess the tribes thought that the bearers were "Toms" for carrying the white man's baggage. Also, every Tarzan besides Johnny Weissmuller sucked. JW had the greatest yell. Can you remember how awful Buster Crabbe's and the other Tarzan's yells were?

Generals64
10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
It was always the native bearers that got the pole treatment. I guess the tribes thought that the bearers were "Toms" for carrying the white man's baggage. Also, every Tarzan besides Johnny Weissmuller sucked. JW had the greatest yell. Can you remember how awful Buster Crabbe's and the other Tarzan's yells were?

Did you know that the "Yell" for Weismueller was three different people at the same time?.....How about when Maureen O'hare was completely naked swimming with Tarzan and it was not Censored...That's a true one also....

papaOU
10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
If you enjoy the "Mummy" films, TCM is running them now through midnight

Prunepicker
10-15-2010, 08:35 PM
...How about when Maureen O'hare was completely naked
swimming with Tarzan and it was not Censored...That's a true
one also....
Naked? Ick! She'd be 99 this year. Good grief!

papaOU
10-15-2010, 09:28 PM

She was saving herself for John Wayne

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Do you feel the same way about Marilyn Monroe? She would be 84 now.

Prunepicker
10-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Do you feel the same way about Marilyn Monroe? She would be
84 now.
Not if I'm watching the Seven Year Itch. For some reason I
can't think much of anything else.

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Not if I'm watching the Seven Year Itch. For some reason I
can't think much of anything else.

Neither could Tom Ewell. LOL

Prunepicker
10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Neither could Tom Ewell. LOL
No woman can resist Rachmaninoff! That's why I'm married!

skyrick
10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
She was saving herself for John Wayne

You are both confused. Maureen O'Sullivan played Jane, and was naked or very nearly so in the pre-code "Tarzan the Ape Man".

Maureen O'Hara was the Duke's better half in "McClintock"

papaOU
10-21-2010, 09:57 AM
You are both confused. Maureen O'Sullivan played Jane, and was naked or very nearly so in the pre-code "Tarzan's the Ape Man".

Maureen O'Hara was the Duke's better half in "McClintock"

Don't tell me I don't know what I confused about. John Wayne never played Tarzan in nothing more that his sexual fantasies. I have also read that that "Duke" and J. Edgar Hoover were a very hot item through the years.

corpsman
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Don't tell me I don't know what I confused about. John Wayne never played Tarzan in nothing more that his sexual fantasies. I have also read that that "Duke" and J. Edgar Hoover were a very hot item through the years.

I always thought it was Rock Hudson and J. Edgar Hoover

papaOU
10-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I always thought it was Rock Hudson and J. Edgar Hoover

No,no,no.. Rock Hudson and Sal Mineo. In fact, James Dean and Sal became such an item that Rock Hudson had Dean's sabotaged to get him out of the way.

ljbab728
10-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Since we've been talking about Tarzan movies, did anyone notice that "Boy" passed away recently? Johnny Sheffield, who played Boy in 8 Tarzan movies died a few days ago at the age of 79.

jmarkross
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Cheetah is 78 and still alive--as far as I can find out. Outlived them all. Vegetarian diet must figure in somehow...

jmarkross
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
No,no,no.. Rock Hudson and Sal Mineo. In fact, James Dean and Sal became such an item that Rock Hudson had Dean's sabotaged to get him out of the way.

There used to be some *really sordid* stories about Dean from the old locals in Hollywood area...the old broads who never quite made it in the movies but still hung out at Musso and Frank's on Hollywood Blvd...the ones who 'claim' to have been around in those days...fun place to go to mingle with the old Hollywood crowd, mostly old alcoholics...good food there though!

osu cowboy
10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Cheetah is 78 and still alive--as far as I can find out. Outlived them all. Vegetarian diet must figure in somehow...

Kinda bored so read up on Cheetah... There were over 10 "Cheetahs" and yes a couple are still alive. Like the one in the later "Tarzan" tv show with Ron Ely. What's amazing is the one you're referring to I guess that starred in some 12 Weissmuller films(30-40's) that went by Cheetah Mike was still alive in 2009. I guess a useless factoid but I loved the old Tarzan movies at least the Weissmuller ones.

jmarkross
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
OSU 42 Nebraska 17 tomorrow...Boone will do cart-wheels...

osu cowboy
10-22-2010, 01:11 PM
OSU 42 Nebraska 17 tomorrow...Boone will do cart-wheels...

I like your thinkin. I'll be there.

jmarkross
10-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Too bad Texas whacked them in Lincoln...but--still--it will be one of the best OSU home games ever...OSU has ALWAYS been a thorn in the side of Ak-Sar-Ben...they have a genuine fear when they come to Stillwater.

corpsman
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM

So will my 7 year old grandson and I.

BB37
10-23-2010, 09:12 AM

I still remember part of their commercial jingle...

However, I see someone else did also. Never mind...

jmarkross
10-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I still remember part of their commercial jingle...

However, I see someone else did also. Never mind...

Of course...in the OKC market--one commercial stands alone in many areas of measure...B.C. Clark's Christmas ad--which will be back soon...a triumph of a campaign...that and the classy ads done by Eleanor Kamber for her store in Penn Square.

What was the name of that store that always made Shepherd Mall smell like incense...some kind of gift shop...?

skyrick
10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Of course...in the OKC market--one commercial stands alone in many areas of measure...B.C. Clark's Christmas ad--which will be back soon...a triumph of a campaign...that and the classy ads done by Eleanor Kamber for her store in Penn Square.

What was the name of that store that always made Shepherd Mall smell like incense...some kind of gift shop...?

Spencer's?

jmarkross
10-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Spencer's?

I think it started with an "F"...some sort of name...long time ago--60's-70's

jmarkross
10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
BTW...the B.C. Clark ad....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJBB65r-9o

papaOU
10-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Mean you did not enjoy the Eleanor Kamber Al Eschbach ads?

jmarkross
10-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Mean you did not enjoy the Eleanor Kamber Al Eschbach ads?

I really liked Eleanor Kamber--her ads were simple and classy...once went up there just to say that to her--many years ago. She never yelled at you or had silly hysterical sales--just did a good business, and was quite successful. Not sure about the Al Eschbach part---was away from OK for many years...must have missed that...

skyrick
10-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I think it started with an "F"...some sort of name...long time ago--60's-70's

Fads & Favors? But that wasn't IN Sheppard Mall. Somewhere on NW 23rd I believe.