View Full Version : Was what is now Wilshire Blvd. once known as "Broadcasters Road" on a wide scale?

Joe Kimball
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I've seen reference to "Broadcasters Road" in the Oklahoman archives, but I cannot remember seeing Wilshire listed this way on old maps. A flash in the pan, this, or maybe some off information?

Generals64
09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I've seen reference to "Broadcasters Road" in the Oklahoman archives, but I cannot remember seeing Wilshire listed this way on old maps. A flash in the pan, this, or maybe some off information?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That used to be the place with WKY-TV....WKY radio and KWTV and OETA....Koco was on Portland and 63rd st....many moons ago...and Koma was located in Moore. The building is still there but they broadcast somewhere else..

windowphobe
09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
I think it was a proposal that didn't actually happen, and back then (unlike today) there was some interest in keeping the same name on a thoroughfare. (When's the last time you heard anything about Hillwood Road?)

papaOU
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That used to be the place with WKY-TV....WKY radio and KWTV and OETA....Koco was on Portland and 63rd st....many moons ago...and Koma was located in Moore. The building is still there but they broadcast somewhere else..

You give us six broadcasting id's and then say, "the bldg is still there but they broadcast somewhere else" who is they? I think all have an original bldg in use.

Joe Kimball
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Ah, what was Hillwood Road, now?

And I think KOMA was meant with regard to broadcasting somewhere else. AFAIK, the KOMA building is still there to house the transmitter (and secondary broadcast provisions) for what is now KOKC. I think it's KMGL and KOMA in the same building in the Antenna Farm.

Incidentally, the only places where I have as yet seen "Broadcasters Road" was in reference to Stars and Stripes Park; more specifically, some lamenting articles concerning the then-recent occupying of the park by pot-smoking youths and the arrests thereof.

windowphobe
10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Ah, what was Hillwood Road, now?

Pull up some eastern Oklahoma County maps, even on the Web: Hillwood Road occupies the same slab as that end of Wilshire.