View Full Version : Yard Dawgz Sold, Moving to Seattle

StormFan93
08-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Seriously. But I don't care what you say, this still isn't a fair trade.

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=25300

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A source close to the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz said the team is likely headed to Seattle, pending the completion of a deal between the current owner, Phil Miller, and the possible new ownership group, Force 10 Hoops, L.L.C.

According to the source, the Yard Dawgz, who went 6-10 this last season, would be purchased by the same ownership group as the Seattle Storm and start their 2011 season playing at the Key Arena. Force 10 Hoops is comprised of four Seattle business women who purchased the Storm in an effort to keep the team in Seattle.

Yard Dawgz General Manager Christie Cook denied the rumors, saying the team is moving forward with season ticket sales and corporate sponsorships for the upcoming season. She reported the team averaged around 6,000 in attendance per game last season.

The team was first established in 2003 by Barry Switzer, Jeff Lund and Horn Chen, but has since been sold to Miller

OKBlitz.com will have further updates to this story as they become available.

OKCisOK4me
08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
That's funny. Seattle, you can have 'em! And I'm gonna cry all the way home you bastards...

dmoor82
08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Bye Bye Dawgz,I'm not going to miss you One bit!

Celebrator
08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
I think we should shoot a documentary: Yard DawgsGate: Requiem for a Team....then we'll get the real truth on this story! Surely this is the work of some greasy Seattle businessmen!

jn1780
08-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Arena football team replaced with a AHL team, sounds good to me.

kevinpate
08-25-2010, 04:50 AM
yip yip yap yap ruff ruff bark bark arrooooooo

translation: Who let da dawgs out!

oneforone
08-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Tell you what Seattle as token of our appreciation we will throw in Al Eschbach, Jim Traber, Barry Switzer both Bob Barry's... what the hell we'll even give you WWLS The Sports Animal lock stock and barrel. You just have to take the team TODAY!

Kerry
08-25-2010, 06:24 AM
This team lasted a lot longer in OKC than I thought it would. It is hard to support a team that can't even spell their own name correctly.

Laramie
08-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Seattle's Karma has come back to bite OKC and nibble away at our wicked ways for taking their beloved Sonics.

We should go back and take the WNBA Storm by sea and bring them to the Cox Center.

Oklahoma City will no longer have any ties and no rivary with T U L S A outside of high school sports!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Geez, you really hate Seattle, doncha? http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif:D

Kerry
08-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Seattle's Karma has come back to bite OKC and nibble away at our wicked ways for taking their beloved Sonics.

We should go back and take the WNBA Storm by sea and bring them to the Cox Center.

Oklahoma City will no longer have any ties and no rivary with T U L S A outside of high school sports!

Losing the Soncis and getting the Yard Dawgz is like being punished twice.

BTW - it is about time we outgrew Tulsa (and Bossier City and Midland/Odessa and Little Rock and ...)

RadioOKC
08-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Losing the Soncis and getting the Yard Dawgz is like being punished twice.

BTW - it is about time we outgrew Tulsa (and Bossier City and Midland/Odessa and Little Rock and ...)

I totally Agree with that! Besides it would be much more fun to have a rivalry with Dallas and Mark Cuban
considering he hates the idea of OKC having an NBA team. 6000 a game is nothing to sneeze at and I'm
sure there are other AFL teams that would relocate here for those numbers, but we will have to wait and see.
I'm not sure I see 6000 people in Seattle supporting AFL when the have "Real" football available.

Chris
http://www.radiookc.com

dmoor82
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Article from AFL Fanzone,notice how Seattle is on The list of teams and OKC isnt(lower right hand corner)!http://www.aflfanzone.com/

kevinpate
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the newly renovated Kennel Arena, home of the Yard Dawgs!

If this is to happen, I hope they enjoy great success, and I hope their new city adopts them and gives the Dawgs a real shot at being loved

Laramie
08-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Geez, you really hate Seattle, doncha? http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif:D

I love the city of Seattle; I dislike the posters (NBA posters) who have bashed our city because they weren't attractive enough to hold on to their beloved Sonics!

metro
08-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the newly renovated Kennel Arena, home of the Yard Dawgs!

If this is to happen, I hope they enjoy great success, and I hope their new city adopts them and gives the Dawgs a real shot at being loved

Maybe Purina can get the arena naming rights. Purina Arena home of the Yard Dawgz.

rkjg24
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I was indifferent with Seattle before this whole thing started. Now, I can't stand them, nor the idiots who side with them.

nighttrain12
08-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Article from AFL Fanzone,notice how Seattle is on The list of teams and OKC isnt(lower right hand corner)!http://www.aflfanzone.com/

OKC is there now.

dmoor82
08-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Huh very weird!wasnt there a couple of days ago?Seattle was on there but not OKC?now it's back The other way!

theparkman81
08-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't see them moving to Seattle, but you never know, but I also read somewhere today that they could also join the Indoor Football League.

Laramie
08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Isn't the IFL the indoor league that has the Omaha Beef?

Just imagine the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgs chewing into some prime Beef!

HOT ROD
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
looks like it is a dead deal and OKC will stay in the AFL.

StormFan93
08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
looks like it is a dead deal and OKC will stay in the AFL.

I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Remember how the Yard Dawgz said they would have a press conference regarding everything? That hasn't happened yet. The rumor du jour is that the Yard Dawgz move to another league (IFL perhaps), and Seattle would get the AFL rights.

Laramie
08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Really, if the Yard Dawgz find greener pastures in KeyArena, so be it!

Seattle is much more diversified than Oklahoma City and if they can support indoor arena football like Phoenix, San Jose and Orlando, great! These cities like Seattle have or all are within a 100-miles radius of an existing NFL franchise.

I wish them well!.

Brandon Rush
10-25-2010, 12:59 PM
OKC announced they will no longer play in the AFL and simultaniously annouced was that a new ownership group was bringing the IFL to OKC...

http://goifl.com/news/index.html?article_id=2825

go from being in a league with Chicago, Dallas, Cleveland, Tampa, and Philly to being in a league with Abiliene, Fairbanks, Billings and Omaha... ::facepalm::

jmarkross
10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
OKC announced they will no longer play in the AFL and simultaniously annouced was that a new ownership group was bringing the IFL to OKC...

http://goifl.com/news/index.html?article_id=2825

go from being in a league with Chicago, Dallas, Cleveland, Tampa, and Philly to being in a league with Abiliene, Fairbanks, Billings and Omaha... ::facepalm::

Karma--for all those snippy trash-talk remarks that those creeps in Seattle leveled at us back when the SuperSonics blew out of that moldy burg...:numchucks

metro
10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
what a weird move, only teams worth playing are Chicago (probably their 3rd team) and Austin.

john60
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Is this team going to play at State Fair Arena? No joke. Check out the arena the Austin team plays at: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/exposition_center/fac_luedecke.asp.

I bet there are at least two better arenas in the Austin/Round Rock area than that. That looks like Lazy E.

Brandon Rush
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
It's all about cost... previous AFL teams played at the Irwin Center @ UT

most of the arenas in the IFL are really glorified horse barns, the Cox Center would be the crown jewel of that league...

Kerry
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I wish these owners would pool their resrouces and try to get MLS instead of all these fly by night leagues playing made-up in a bar sports.

theparkman81
10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I wish these owners would pool their resrouces and try to get MLS instead of all these fly by night leagues playing made-up in a bar sports.

I agree with U Kerry, I think OKC should try for MLS now, also if the AFL wants to come back, maybe Clay Bennett and the boys could own the team and they can play at Ford Center, oops my bad the Oklahoma City Arena.

HOT ROD
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
definitely a backward's move, just like the SkyDance Bridge decision and the MG scandal.

bluedogok
10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Is this team going to play at State Fair Arena? No joke. Check out the arena the Austin team plays at: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/exposition_center/fac_luedecke.asp.

I bet there are at least two better arenas in the Austin/Round Rock area than that. That looks like Lazy E.
The Cedar Park Center is the new arena in a northwest suburb. It was built for the AHL Texas Stars hockey team, this season the Austin Toros NBA-DL team is moving up there from the Austin Convention Center. They also have concerts there so it is a pretty busy place.

It's all about cost... previous AFL teams played at the Irwin Center @ UT

most of the arenas in the IFL are really glorified horse barns, the Cox Center would be the crown jewel of that league...
The Erwin Center is a pretty expensive place to play and the Wranglers had a hard time making rent there.

For the most part Austin isn't that good of a pro sports town, the suburbs have done a better job supporting the minor league teams located in their towns but they can do so with much smaller facilities and a cost structure that allows for success with attracting between a 5-6,000 average per game. It was announced this week that the Austin Aztex USL soccer team was sold to a group from the UK who is moving the team to Orlando, they were here for three years. The first two seasons they played in an AISD high school stadium on the east side of Austin, this season they moved to the AISD stadium next to downtown and seemed to draw better.