View Full Version : Restaurants that are not the same anymore?

MonkeesFan
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
What restaurants is not the same anymore after moving to another location or merging with another company? My votes are Long John Silver after merging with A&W and Furr's in Moore

Prunepicker
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
How about Laredo's?

Bigrayok
08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Beverley's since it moved to its current location. Everytime I go, there are service problems. I like Beverley's, but I am embarrassed when I take friends and family at my suggestion and the service is not up to par.

Bigray in Ok

skyrick
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
The classic example is El Charrito after it was bought by El Chico. They went from fresh ingredients, with cooking starting at 6am, to installing a walk-in freezer to hold the product after it was shipped from Dallas.

SoonerQueen
08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
We ate there once after they relocated to the Classen location. It just wasn't the same. I like Pepe's better in Edmond.

SoonerQueen
08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
When Beverly's moved I was excited because they would be open later, but was very disappointed in the food and the service. I didn't like the previous restaurant that was in that location, and it seemed to me that Beverly's became them. We ate there a couple of times but haven't been back.

SoonerQueen
08-09-2010, 11:37 PM
As a little girl, the big eat out night was going to El Charrito's on Paseo. To me, their food was fantastic. El Chico is different and not fresh food like it used to be.

skyrick
08-10-2010, 04:40 AM
We ate there once after they relocated to the Classen location. It just wasn't the same. I like Pepe's better in Edmond.

Pepe was from the same extended family as the Alvarados, the original El Charrito owners.

skyrick
08-10-2010, 04:41 AM
As a little girl, the big eat out night was going to El Charrito's on Paseo. To me, their food was fantastic. El Chico is different and not fresh food like it used to be.

I may have been your busboy when you went there between 1968-70.

Prunepicker
08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Pepe was from the same extended family as the Alvarados, the
original El Charrito owners.
Do you know about the owners of Nino's and Los Amigo's. Those
are 2 Mexican restaurants that very closely resemble El Charrito's.

Jesseda
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
you are so true monkeesfan, i loved the long john silvers when it was just long john silvers off 12th street, that was a highschool lunch hang out place for me.. I also miss harry bears, the new location and atmosphere with the food just seems so different, i miss the old location in the new city shopping center, and before when it was a stand alone off 12th street. also the mazzios off 12th is no longer any good, i use to love it back in the day when it had the glass room area that has rope lights all around it

Martin
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
the mazzios off 12th

didn't that location predate the mazzio's name? it was originally called ken's, wasn't it? -M

okyeah
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Zorba's. The food was better at their old location

BBatesokc
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Falcone's for me. Love their original location, but the other's pretty much stink in my opinion.

I also really liked Meiki's Route 66 when they were on NW 39th street near Meridian. They've moved twice since and its just never quite been as good (but I haven't been in awhile).

skyrick
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Do you know about the owners of Nino's and Los Amigo's. Those
are 2 Mexican restaurants that very closely resemble El Charrito's.

Not sure about Los Amigos. Nino lived across the street from us. He originally managed the Shepard Mall El Charrito. His family was Bolivian and he married into the Alvarado family. Luis Alvarado was the patriarch of the El Charrito extended family.

Jesseda
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
im not sure mmm.. i know 20 plus years ago.. my youth baseball team would always have parties in the evening in that glass room at mazzios that was liten up by tons of little lights.. great memories of me being devilish and unscrewing the cheese and pepper shakers on all the tables and watching people make a mess.. I know evil huh...I also miss the old taco mayo on 12th , the cheesy 70s felt mexican portraits on the wall and the desert landscape out front, MEMORIES lol i liked the old mayo better then the new one

corwin1968
08-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Back in the mid-80's, Scholtzkys had sandwiches that were out of this world but now they are just okay. Subway used to be a lot better than it is now and Quiznos went from a large, diverse and deliscious menu to a small, limited menu of much lower quality food.

Prunepicker
08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Applewood's. They should have never moved. It was terrible.

icemncmth
08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Actually McDonalds was pretty good in the 70's. A big mac was a huge sandwich. Same goes for Burger King. City Bites isn't as good as they once were. Hideaway Pizza in Stillwater is still so much better than the others. New York Bagel Company was really good till they tried to franchise.

Johnnies use to really have good cheeseburgers but now there is more cold cheese on the meat than meat.
Goldies in Tulsa on Lewis is great but most have just gone downhill.

Mazzio's use to have really good pizza but now they are like the rest.

Restaurants go one of two ways. Sell lots of food cheap or sell top quality food for a high price. Think Little Caesars they sell a lot of cheap pizza.

Achilleslastand
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Can you guess what A&W,KFC,Long John Silvers,Pizza Hut and Taco Bell have in common? They are all owned by YUM foods. And the quality of these are nothing like they used to be.

corwin1968
08-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Actually McDonalds was pretty good in the 70's. A big mac was a huge sandwich. Same goes for Burger King. City Bites isn't as good as they once were. Hideaway Pizza in Stillwater is still so much better than the others. New York Bagel Company was really good till they tried to franchise.

Johnnies use to really have good cheeseburgers but now there is more cold cheese on the meat than meat.

Restaurants go one of two ways. Sell lots of food cheap or sell top quality food for a high price. Think Little Caesars they sell a lot of cheap pizza.

You mention one I forgot and you are so right!! Citybites was awesome back in the late 90's but even as far back as 2005 or so they were no longer the same.

Edmond Earl
08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I do not believe any restaurant has gone down hill more that Johnnies. It seems fifteen years if was a much higher quality restaurant. The last time I was in one of their locations they had a hot pan full of precooked patties. I just don't think they would of done that years ago.

oneforone
08-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Charcoal Oven

When I was kid that was one of my favorite places to eat. Every burger on their menu was awesome. My parents would often go buy there on the way to my grandparents house. Grandma and Grandpa had a huge pool with a diving board and a slide. The adults would hang out on the patio and enjoy adult beverages while us kids played in the pool. I stopped going there after bad service and a stale burger that tasted more like garlic toast than it did a burger. I completely wrote them off after my niece and her friends that worked at the one off MacArthur were treated like slave labor.

jmarkross
08-15-2010, 07:06 PM

I remember the Burger King near 39th and Portland back in 1971...on Tuesdays you could get a Whopper--FFries--and a med size drink for 59-cents. Now that was a deal...

OSUMom
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
As much as it pains me, but Ann's Chicken Fry. Was a staple when I was a kid. When I was dating my now husband we ate there a lot. Then it changed. The gravy just stunk. And for a chicken fry, you NEED good gravy. We gave it several chances but finally gave up. So much time has passed (like 20 years!) and it is still there. Every so often we will think about giving it another try but end up at Chuck House instead.

bluedogok
09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
My wife and I ate at Ann's when were up there awhile back, I had never taken her there and hadn't been back since before I moved in 2003. It was not the same, I don't like the changes they made to their staple, it just isn't necessary to me. To me a Chicken Fry shouldn't have onions and jalapeno's in the mashed potatoes and gravy like some places do it, simple mashed potatoes and cream gravy for me. I doubt that we go back again.

Prunepicker
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Shorty Small's has a very good chicken fried steak. Chuck House
is good. Haven't eaten at Ann's for years, didn't care for it the
last time. If nobody has complained personally to the Ann's
they don't have a reason to do anything about it. I might try
it again and if it isn't good, I'll tell them, not the waitress,
the management.

SoonerQueen
09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I like the Chuck House in Edmond but not the one on 10th Street. It's a much more comfortable restaurant to dine in.

BBatesokc
09-12-2010, 06:08 AM
A new establishment on my "Do not get list" is the Classen Grill. Been there twice recently for breakfast and both times were pretty bad. We've gone the last two Saturday mornings. The eggs in the omelets were burned and the whole thing was served like a pancake. The veggie tequitas were just bad in general. The miggas had no distinguishable flavor at all (Big Truck Tacos is 10x better). That said, the biscuits and home fries were good. As for the fresh squeezed OJ. It was served fresh, but that also meant at room temperature. Had to order a glass of ice to chill it and make it taste really good.

People rave about the place, but I'd do IHOP or Jimmy's Egg for consistently good food. For great breakfast I do Cafe 501.

progressiveboy
09-12-2010, 06:42 AM
A new establishment on my "Do not get list" is the Classen Grill. Been there twice recently for breakfast and both times were pretty bad. We've gone the last two Saturday mornings. The eggs in the omelets were burned and the whole thing was served like a pancake. The veggie tequitas were just bad in general. The miggas had no distinguishable flavor at all (Big Truck Tacos is 10x better). That said, the biscuits and home fries were good. As for the fresh squeezed OJ. It was served fresh, but that also meant at room temperature. Had to order a glass of ice to chill it and make it taste really good.

People rave about the place, but I'd do IHOP or Jimmy's Egg for consistently good food. For great breakfast I do Cafe 501. Wow, that's to bad about the Classen Grill. When I lived in OKC, a gentlemen by the name of Tupper Patnode owned this establishment and he was also the chef/cook there. He always had great breakfast features on the weekend and the "best cheese grits" I have tasted. I remember their orange juice machine cranking out fresh OJ and they also had evening dinner features that were great. It sounds like when Tupper sold the place and moved to California, the place just wasn't the same.

bluedogok
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I like the Chuck House in Edmond but not the one on 10th Street. It's a much more comfortable restaurant to dine in.
I've never been to the one in Edmond, my parents live a half mile from the one on 10th Street I grew up going there.

metro
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
What..... the Chuck House in Edmond sucks compared to the original, both in atmosphere and food quality.

corwin1968
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Can you guess what A&W,KFC,Long John Silvers,Pizza Hut and Taco Bell have in common? They are all owned by YUM foods. And the quality of these are nothing like they used to be.

I will say that I have not noticed any decrease in the quality of Long John Silvers. It's still as ridiculously greasy and delicious as it ever was. I never ate at A&W or KFC with any regularity but Taco Bell and Pizza Hut have gotten so bad I no longer eat either. I prefer Taco Mayo (a place I avoided for years because a friend always referred to them as "rat tacos") and Papa Johns for fast-food tex-mex and pizza.

Easy180
09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
What..... the Chuck House in Edmond sucks compared to the original, both in atmosphere and food quality.

Gotta love the ambiance at the original...Wouldn't be the same at a nicer location

Used to hit that place once a week before while working on NW Expressway

soonerfangirl
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Primo's in Yukon used to be excellent - I don't know if it has to do with their expansion and new locations or something else but the food was horrible the last two times I went. Haven't been back in months...

Armani
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
western sizzlin that is now mackey's or something

Joe Kimball
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, it's not the same only in name, from my experience a couple of years ago. It was just like the Western Sizzlin' I remembered---this was the (or "an") Edmond location.

Dustin
09-14-2010, 10:06 PM
western sizzlin that is now mackey's or something

Yes.. It will always be western sizzlins to me.. The food is good but not what it used to be.

Bigrayok
09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
There is no difference between the Western Sizzlin's in the Oklahoma City area and the Mackie McNear's. Mackie McNear has owned the Western Sizzlin's in Central Oklahoma since the 1970's. They sell the same things. If any changes have occured at the Mackie McNear's locations, they have been made at the Western Sizzlin locations also. The name of some locations is the only major difference.

Bigray in Ok

Debzkidz
09-15-2010, 10:08 PM
I agree with others who mentioned Beverly's. We loved the old location. It was the first restaurant we discovered when we moved here. We actually ate there on our first day in OKC when we made a trip to see if we wanted to accept DH's job offer and move here. We loved that place, and like the idea of living in a city that still had cool old places like that around. That place was filthy and we didn't even care. It added to the whole ambiance and flavor. We would go there frequently. We've been to the new location only once, but will never go back. It just isn't the same.

Burger King is the big national chain that I think has really gone downhill the most. Those places are all bad. No matter where you are, not just here. I just almost refuse to eat at one. When I was as kid there was one near my grandmothers house. It was a special treat when we would get to go on our way home. I remember that it a glass window, where you could watch the burgers go over a flame on a conveyor belt to actually be flame broiled. It was like going to Krispy Kreme and watching the donuts go by. Ahh, some days I long for the days before microwaves.

bluedogok
09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I think the Burger King franchisee in OKC is the problem, I don't eat there often but the one by my office here in Austin is about the best Burger King that I have eaten at, most of the rest of them have been forgettable.

OSUMom
09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Taco Bueno. I know it sounds bad but 'back in the day' they had the best, greasiest tacos and burritos around. Now they are so dry and pretty much tastless. They might possibly be more healthy now (don't know for sure) but they sure aren't as good.

bornhere
09-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Classen Grill got so bad I won't go there anymore.

soonerfangirl
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Also have to say Bad Brads in Yukon. The quality of their cuts of meat has changed and everything has been overcooked the last couple of times I have visited. Not to mention the smoke in the restaurant - not like a little smoke smell that adds to the atmosphere but actual obscuring your vision smoke.

bluedogok
09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
There was a Bad Brad's in Portland, Texas (between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi) last year and it was listed on the original Oklahoma restaurants website. This year it was something different.

cjohnson.405
09-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Actually McDonalds was pretty good in the 70's. A big mac was a huge sandwich.

A big mac from the 70's probably still looks exactly like a big mac from the 70's. Have you seen the stories of the 12 year old big mac that hasn't aged and looks exactly like it did when it was bought? http://bestofmotherearth.com/2008/09/24/1996-mcdonalds-hamburger.html

MustangGT
09-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Classen Grill got so bad I won't go there anymore.

Agreed.

selk1
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Aloha Gardens on I-240. Very good with the first owners (years ago). Second owners not as good. Current owners - terrible!!