View Full Version : Good mole?

TheTravellers
05-29-2010, 11:10 AM
We were going to try Las Palomas this weekend since we heard their mole was good (so far, it's the only place we've heard of in OKC that even has or knows what mole is), but they're closed according to urbanspoon. :cuss2:

Anybody know anyplace else to get good mole? Thanks in advance...

fuzzytoad
05-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Adobe Grill

SatelliteHigh
05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
El Regio / Pollo Regio has mole.

alan
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
the only good mole i've had in okc (besides my own kitchen) is some that Chef Ryan made one night at Nova.

TheTravellers
05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Adobe Grill

Hmmm, someone on urbanspoon.com said mole wasn't on the menu (as of 3/20/10), but thanks, we'll go there. We wonder about it every time we go to Shartel Cafe next door...

And thanks to the other folks who answered, we'll try out Pollo Regio (it's closer than El Regio), but probably not Jim's basement (Nova looks good, so we'll check it out too, just not expecting mole). :-)

alan
05-31-2010, 06:16 PM
pretty simple recipe really; basic ingredients are ancho chiles, raisins, dark chocolate, almonds, garlic, and a lil cinnamon. (a good peanut mole is nice too. )

i am definitely excited to try some of the local places mentioned above!

metro
06-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Mole, simple? Really? haha, most good moles have 20 something ingredients and have to be perfectly slow cooked for hours. I'm all for trying some good local mole though.

blangtang
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
pepe delgado's on campus corner in norman has mole, but only on certain days of the week when its one of the daily specials.

Matt
06-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Great mole:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6315/goldmember.jpg

BoulderSooner
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
1492 has very good mole

FritterGirl
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I second that about Adobe Grill.

The don't have their more "authentic" cuisine for lunch, but they certainly do for dinner.

Their dinner prices are high compared to other mexican places, but you get what you pay for. You can also order off-menu a la carte during the dinner hours. I did that a few weeks ago and just ordered an enchilada with their house mole.

It was fabulous; sweet and rich and smoky just like a good mole should be.

alan
06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Mole, simple? Really? haha, most good moles have 20 something ingredients and have to be perfectly slow cooked for hours.

i'm not sure what you are inferring here.

are you saying you've made it, and only mole made your way is acceptable?
or that you looked it up on the internet and are now an expert on the topic?

either way, don't be so Mary, Mary Quite-Contrary all the time. :poke:

TheTravellers
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
i'm not sure what you are inferring here.

are you saying you've made it, and only mole made your way is acceptable?
or that you looked it up on the internet and are now an expert on the topic?

either way, don't be so Mary, Mary Quite-Contrary all the time. :poke:

Damn near any fan of *good* mole knows that it takes a lot of ingredients, a lot of preparation, and a lot of cooking time to make it that way (which is why we don't make it :Smiley099 ). You can't just throw a bunch of ingredients in a blender and then heat it up on the stove for a few minutes and expect good mole...

Thanks, Frittergirl, that's just what I wanted to hear about Adobe Grill, must go there soon! And I'll have to check out 1492 (dammit, just went to their website and it doesn't exist yet, what is it with OKC businesses (not just restaurants) not having websites yet?!?!?)

alan
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Damn near any fan of *good* mole knows that it takes a lot of ingredients, a lot of preparation, and a lot of cooking time to make it that way (which is why we don't make it :Smiley099 ).

i disagree. i've made it twice in under 2 hours, with fewer than 10 ingredients. everyone who tried it, loved it.

that is the great thing about the food world, there is no 1 way to do things. experimentation is a wonderful thing.

metro
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
don't question jim, he's the king of coffee. also most restaurants and businesses are going to facebook pages instead of webpages. it irks me, but that's where the web is headed, facebook is the future of the internet according to most experts.

alan
06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
don't question jim, he's the king of coffee. also most restaurants and businesses are going to facebook pages instead of webpages. it irks me, but that's where the web is headed, facebook is the future of the internet according to most experts.

Mary Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.

foodiefan
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
hmmm. . .check out Rick Bayless's or Diana Kennedy's recipes for Mole. I think most folks would agree, they know what they are doing! Lots of ingredients (some more than others, but several with 15 -20) and the better part of an afternoon at least. But, as you said, more than one way to do something and lots of different opinions on what's good. . .or not

TheTravellers
06-05-2010, 09:41 AM

coffee != mole. :-)

That's just pathetic about facebook being the future of the net - they're evil, and their CEO is scum. Seriously, though, a facebook site can never replace a website, not as much functionality. It can, however, make a poor substitute for a website. :-) Makes it kind of ironic that Big Truck Tacos now has a website, since in the past they just had a facebook and twitter page. And if a restaurant has a website listed in their urbanspoon listing, either make it work or take it off the listing, dammit!

PennyQuilts
06-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Everytime I see the topic of this thread, instead of "Good mole?" my brain registers "Holy Moley!" which I suppose is something you could exclaim if you find good mole.

kevinpate
06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Everytime I see the topic of this thread, instead of "Good mole?" my brain registers "Holy Moley!" which I suppose is something you could exclaim if you find good mole.

I'm worse than that PQ. Initially, my at times still a hick brain kept seeing a one syllable word. Left me wondering why someone couldn't just use a possum recipe from a roadkill cookbook if they wanted to eat a mole. Then someone wrote about a blender and as fate would have it, mole was talked about on a recent D3 episode. The thread then made way more sense to my addled lil' noggin.

MGE1977
06-06-2010, 02:19 PM
This is simply a one time post, and not really meant to be inflammatory.

I cannot stand mole' and asking where to find good mole' is akin to asking where to find good menudo.

I lived in Guadalajara for 4 months, and I have eaten it, as well as menudo, as well as heart, liver and brain tacos. I am not a food prude, but mole' to me is a cold sweat producing, dry heave inducing siege.

How can I be the only one?

PennyQuilts
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

I cannot stand mole' and asking where to find good mole' is akin to asking where to find good menudo.

I lived in Guadalajara for 4 months, and I have eaten it, as well as menudo, as well as heart, liver and brain tacos. I am not a food prude, but mole' to me is a cold sweat producing, dry heave inducing siege.

Different strokes, that's all. Personally, I won't eat squash.

TheTravellers
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Very odd, since mole (yeah, I know, it should probably have an accent, I've just been too lazy to find the right key sequence) has absolutely nothing to do with organ meat AFAIK...

TheTravellers
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I second that about Adobe Grill.

The don't have their more "authentic" cuisine for lunch, but they certainly do for dinner.

Their dinner prices are high compared to other mexican places, but you get what you pay for. You can also order off-menu a la carte during the dinner hours. I did that a few weeks ago and just ordered an enchilada with their house mole.

It was fabulous; sweet and rich and smoky just like a good mole should be.

Well, finally checked out their menu and their mole sounded *so* good, until I got to the peanuts. :icon_evil I'm allergic (not to the point of dying when I eat them), so can't do their mole. :-(

Don't suppose anybody knows of any peanut-free mole served anywhere in the metro? :wink: