View Full Version : What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Pages : [1] 2

king183
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Anyone know why the sudden changes in radio stations in the metro area? 94.7 went from alternative rock to another version of the KATT and now it's switched again to classic rock just like 107.7. And now 97.3 JACK fm has gone country. What's going on? Two okay stations now gone crappy.

theparkman81
03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm asking the same question, why is King Country moving to 97.3 with only 1,000 watts of power from 93.3 with 100,000 of power, maybe something new is going in at 93.3 maybe finally a news/talk station on the FM.

Charlie40
03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I believe the 97.3 format will be more of a classic country while KKNG 93.3 will be more modern stuff like the other 2 play

theparkman81
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I believe the 97.3 format will be more of a classic country while KKNG 93.3 will be more modern stuff like the other 2 play

Now that will be great, but I don't understand why we need a another classic country station here, we already have KXY, their playing classic country more and more.

dismayed
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
The real question is why are you still listening to the crap that passes for music on our local stations? Satellite radio, Podcasts, mp3s, and Internet radio on your phone are calling your name.

Lord Helmet
03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
The only radio worth listening to in OKC is The Spy. Everything else is utter crap.

circled9
03-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Listen to the Tom Petty CD that he put out about five years ago called The Last DJ.
It answers a lot about the direction radio is going.

theparkman81
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
The real question is why are you still listening to the crap that passes for music on our local stations? Satellite radio, Podcasts, mp3s, and Internet radio on your phone are calling your name.

For your imformation dismayed, some of us like me, can't afford Satellite radio or internet radio, I work 2 jobs to try to put food on the table, and a roof over my head and pay my bills, by the time all that's done, I have very little left, that's the way it is, but I do have a mp3 player I got a year ago, and I get tired of listen to it sometimes.

king183
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
The only radio worth listening to in OKC is The Spy. Everything else is utter crap.

I love the Spy....when I can hear it through the static. What's up with their poor broadcast quality?

windowphobe
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
First, a definition:

"The 60 dBu level is recognized as the area in which a reliable signal can be received using an ordinary radio receiver and antenna."

Now look at the Spy's 60-dBu contour:

FM and TV Service Area Maps (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=FM628077.html)

SkyWestOKC
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Great, another station I will not listen to. Looks like I am down to 94.7, 96.9, and 107.7. Occasionally 100.5 if something worth listening to happens to get on.

Edit: Jack appears to be shut down, website not working.

stratosphere
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM

i agree 150%

Jethrol
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I actually like radio. Most times the commercials are annoying but sometimes I like the variety of sounds.....not just all music all the time. Sometimes talking is nice, other times it's all I want so I tune into NPR....however many times it's just annoying and then I turn on the ipod.

ShiroiHikari
03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I kind of liked Jack FM and I'm sad to see it replaced with more freaking country. As if we need more of that around here...

fromdust
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
i dont mean to sound like a broken record since ive mentioned this time and again. but satellite is the way to go. parkman mentioned the affordability. i understand, but they do have an a la carte package, which i have, and i pay about $8.25 a month. you get to pick 50 channels of your choice, and i tell ya i dont even listen to all of those!

king183
03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
First, a definition:

"The 60 dBu level is recognized as the area in which a reliable signal can be received using an ordinary radio receiver and antenna."

Now look at the Spy's 60-dBu contour:

FM and TV Service Area Maps (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=FM628077.html)

Wow...I had no idea it was centered by Okarche. I always thought it was in OKC. That explains that. Thank you.

Hopefully the Spy can find a way to either get a better signal or location so it can reach more listeners.

oneforone
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I will be really suprised if 93.3 becomes another country station. If you remember, 93.3 was a classic country station when it first went on the air. They constantly ran in last place until they added new songs to the format.

I take that back..... I just looked at the website and it looks as if they may be returning to the old country songs on KKNG.

Lord Helmet
03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
i agree 150%

People in OKC have no idea how lucky they are to have a station like The Spy. I recently moved away and we have nothing remotely as cool on local radio here. Thankfully I can stream it on my iPhone in the car.

metro
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
After reading your posts, I thought it might be that we've become a PPM market, but we're still a diary market. PPM data will allow decision makers to get better data, more frequently so we'll probably see a lot of changes in radio in the coming years. I think OKC is on the expansion list for coming off diary and going to PPM this year.

Radio Stations - Home (http://www.arbitron.com/radio_stations/)

rkjg24
03-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Radio execs could care two sh*ts about us. A lot of people are still bitter about the 94.7 format change.

oneforone
03-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Radio execs could care two sh*ts about us. A lot of people are still bitter about the 94.7 format change.

How could somebody be bitter about repetitive crybaby glamour rock?

Formats change in radio, you get to listen for free so get over it and change the station, plug in your ipod/mp3 or put in a CD.

theparkman81
03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I just turn on 93.3, and it is now known as Jake Fm, playing new country, well we had have three stations flip formats, wonder who will be next.

smooth
03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I just turn on 93.3, and it is now known as Jake Fm, playing new country, well we had have three stations flip formats, wonder who will be next.

First a station does not "flip" formats. They CHANGE formats. Second. It could be they may not be ready for oldies yet.

As of this post, I have not heard. Regardless of their slogan, what are the call letters?

MikeOKC
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
First a station does not "flip" formats. They CHANGE formats. Second. It could be they may not be ready for oldies yet.

As of this post, I have not heard. Regardless of their slogan, what are the call letters?

I worked in broadcasting for 25 years. We talked many times of stations "flipping" to this or that format, so theparkman is not off base. That's a bit picky even if he were wrong.

It's now New Country at 93.3 and Classic Country at 97.3. Both still locally owned by Tyler Media (Ralph Tyler). That, in itself, is a miracle in this day and age. Radio has become dominated by very few huge corporations that have systematically destroyed radio in the process.

RadioOKC
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
97.3 has a pretty rough signal and from what I understand a power upgrade is not in its future so the impact on the maket will be minimal at best.

Chris
Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music! (http://radiookc.com)

metro
03-15-2010, 07:51 AM
I worked in broadcasting for 25 years. We talked many times of stations "flipping" to this or that format, so theparkman is not off base. That's a bit picky even if he were wrong.

It's now New Country at 93.3 and Classic Country at 97.3. Both still locally owned by Tyler Media (Ralph Tyler). That, in itself, is a miracle in this day and age. Radio has become dominated by very few huge corporations that have systematically destroyed radio in the process.

Actually Tony Tyler, Ralph hasn't been in the business for awhile.

MikeOKC
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Actually Tony Tyler, Ralph hasn't been in the business for awhile.

Ralph Tyler began Tyler Media. That's all I meant. The Tyler's keeping it locally owned has been a huge success, and somewhat of a miracle, in the age of the behomoths.

adaniel
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
If anyone is interested 94.1 is now playing "old school" R&B from the 70's, and the 80's and early 90's to a lesser extent. So if KOMA or Magic 104.1 isn't getting it done with your boogie-down disco hits, you now have another option.

bluedogok
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
THat is amazing in itself, even the legendary "Local Austin" station is owned by Emmis out of Indianapolis but from what I have been told they have maintained much of the same staff, programming and feel of when it was a "local" station. It is about the only terrestrial radio that I listen to and that isn't very often.

JamesAyers
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Ralph Tyler began Tyler Media. That's all I meant. The Tyler's keeping it locally owned has been a huge success, and somewhat of a miracle, in the age of the behomoths.

Hey MikeOKC

I wanted to let you know that during my last 12 years of employment for Tyler media, I saw Ralph, Tony and Ty nearly every single day at work. Being locally owned definitely made a big difference for all of us employed by them. It's not often in radio that you see the person that signs your paycheck daily.

James

bluedogok
03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
There's a blog post that came in an email today, it is focused on rock/modern rock but I think it can pretty much apply to most genres. The biggest problem is the debt that the Clear Channel's and such accrued in their buying sprees and debt payments are coming due. That is the big anchor that is around the necks of those running the individual stations, the pressure from the money people who know absolutely nothing about radio. I miss the days of AOR and think it could pretty much work with any genre and would give people a reason to listen.

Basically the corporate programming has ruined the medium and gives the public very little reason to listen.

I used to listen to the KATT most of the time but even before I moved to Austin in 2003 I had pretty much gone over to listening to CD's. The "personalities" on there gave me no compelling reason to listen and pretty much always pandered to the lowest common denominator, especially Rick & Brad and Jake Daniels, whenever they were on I turned it to something else. I didn't care to listen to their mindless crap which was about 99.9% based on making fun of others.

MOG - Radio Silence: The Slow Death of Rock 'n Roll on the Airwaves (http://mog.com/MOG_Features/blog/1824048/)

BossLady
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I really liked Jack FM. They would occasionally play some Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode and it would make my day.

Another country station, REALLY?? REALLY?

SoonerQueen
03-18-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm very in to talk radio. I'd love to have an FM talk station. KRMG in Tulsa added an FM station. It would be nice for OKC to do the same.

disinfected
03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
I never understood all of the "Bob FM" and "Jack FM" Names, they seem to be all over the country. We had Bob FM and Ted FM in Ohio.

theparkman81
03-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm very in to talk radio. I'd love to have an FM talk station. KRMG in Tulsa added an FM station. It would be nice for OKC to do the same.

I agree, it is time that either KTOK or KOKC have a simulcast on the FM, or a news/talk station on the FM, I think somebody said something on here that it doesn't make sense to put KTOK on the FM, really, I think it does and I think its about time to do it.

Bunty
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree, it is time that either KTOK or KOKC have a simulcast on the FM, or a news/talk station on the FM, I think somebody said something on here that it doesn't make sense to put KTOK on the FM, really, I think it does and I think its about time to do it.

But KTOK is already rebroadcasted on FM on KXXY 96.1. But the problem is you have to have an HD radio to tune it in. At least I do.

Soonerman
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I really liked Jack FM. They would occasionally play some Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode and it would make my day.

I liked Jack FM too. The only real issue I had with them is I would lose the signal out by Quail Springs Mall. I also like Classic Country so KXXY is where I'll get my country fix. Also on the FM talk radio deal. WBAP out of Fort Worth also added an FM simulcast on 96.7 FM.

smooth
03-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Although technically Country, KKNG, which is the one that moved to 97.3, is OLDIES Country, a different format. We are really more saturated with Sports radio than Country.

kswright29
03-22-2010, 07:29 PM
How about being able to listen to ESPN radio somewhere. I liked it when 930 was on and you could listen to Mike and Mike in the morning.

CCOKC
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I like Mike and Mike as well but then again I have the XM radio which has the ESPN radio channel.

RadioOKC
03-23-2010, 11:54 PM

You may hear what you are looking for on RadioOKC.

Chris
Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music! (http://radiookc.com)

bchris02
03-11-2014, 06:23 AM
In regards to OKC radio stations, I wonder how it is that this market can support six sports talk stations, with three on FM but not a single alternative rock station? How can this city support an NBA team but can't support a hip-hop station? How can OKC support four classic rock stations and two playing 1950s country but only a single Top-40 that is generally months late at adding new music? I know "who listens to terrestrial radio anymore?" but I've fallen on hard financial times and satellite radio is something that had to go. I know bad terrestrial radio isn't just an OKC problem, its a nationwide trend in recent years, but it seems like terrestrial radio is especially bad here, almost unbelievably bad being that this isn't a rural area. There was a time, not long ago, when OKC actually did have better radio stations and some variety so maybe the market will one day correct itself.

Midtowner
03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
The ZERO local talk option is annoying. I used to get some pretty good info from listening to Ron Black/Mark Shannon, etc., even though I mostly disagreed.

trousers
03-11-2014, 07:45 AM
I listen to NPR & the Spy. That is literally the only local radion I can handle. I had the misfortune of riding with a friend one morning and he had the Katt on. Within 3 minutes I was ready to through myself out of a moving vehicle.

bchris02
03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I listen to NPR & the Spy. That is literally the only local radion I can handle. I had the misfortune of riding with a friend one morning and he had the Katt on. Within 3 minutes I was ready to through myself out of a moving vehicle.

The Spy is online only now isn't it?

I usually have it on KCSC Classical 90.1 because its about all that is tolerable on the dial here. I don't care for sports or 1950s country or 1970s Southern rock. Tulsa actually has some decent radio stations between 92.1 The Beat, 104.5 The Edge, and K-Jamz 105.3. Why don't stations like that work in OKC? We aren't Dodge City, KS.

Tydude
03-11-2014, 08:26 AM
How about being able to listen to ESPN radio somewhere. I liked it when 930 was on and you could listen to Mike and Mike in the morning.

Its on 640 AM in OKC

trousers
03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
The Spy is online only now isn't it?

I usually have it on KCSC Classical 90.1 because its about all that is tolerable on the dial here. I don't care for sports or 1950s country or 1970s Southern rock. Tulsa actually has some decent radio stations between 92.1 The Beat, 104.5 The Edge, and K-Jamz 105.3. Why don't stations like that work in OKC? We aren't Dodge City, KS.

The Spy comes on after 7pm on KOSU.

traxx
03-11-2014, 01:26 PM

?

The KATT is slow to change. They seriously need to kill the Rick and Brad show.

Radio, like any medium, is all about the money. They target the demographics that have the money to spend. That's what their sponsors like. That's why alternative music of the 90s (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana) is the classic rock of today. They're targeting people in their 30s and 40s.

I remember The Spy was nails in the late 80s early 90s. I haven't listened in ages. I remember back then it was hard to recieve. You had to be driving in just the right direction and hold your tongue just right to get a good signal. But they had great music. When they played music.

trousers
03-11-2014, 02:30 PM
?

You missed another typo I made...

That is literally the only local radion I can handle.

zookeeper
03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
In regards to OKC radio stations, I wonder how it is that this market can support six sports talk stations, with three on FM but not a single alternative rock station? How can this city support an NBA team but can't support a hip-hop station? How can OKC support four classic rock stations and two playing 1950s country but only a single Top-40 that is generally months late at adding new music? I know "who listens to terrestrial radio anymore?" but I've fallen on hard financial times and satellite radio is something that had to go. I know bad terrestrial radio isn't just an OKC problem, its a nationwide trend in recent years, but it seems like terrestrial radio is especially bad here, almost unbelievably bad being that this isn't a rural area. There was a time, not long ago, when OKC actually did have better radio stations and some variety so maybe the market will one day correct itself.

While I mostly agree with you (well, not about the hip-hop) - how many times can you post the same thing? You've posted practically the same thing too many times to count. They still aren't listening to you. People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic. It's also hard to keep advertisers on hip-hop because they don't want the association with rape, assault, misogyny, murder, profanity, etc.

trousers
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
While I mostly agree with you (well, not about the hip-hop) - how many times can you post the same thing? You've posted practically the same thing too many times to count. They still aren't listening to you. People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic. It's also hard to keep advertisers on hip-hop because they don't want the association with rape, assault, misogyny, murder, profanity, etc.

Get off my lawn!

zookeeper
03-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Get off my lawn!

Well, it's the truth and you don't have to be an old geezer to realize it.

trousers
03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I would like to see the demographic data behind this statement "People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic."

bchris02
03-11-2014, 04:36 PM
I would like to see the demographic data behind this statement "People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic."

I would like to see that as well. If it's not a money-making format, why is it that almost every other major market in the US has at least one urban formatted station? Some markets have several. OKC is unique in that it does NOT have an urban station unless you count Power 103.5 which can only be picked up in OKC proper when the weather is right. If what zookeeper says is true the format would be disappearing nationwide except in specific markets but it isn't. A lot of them have a dance lean to them these days anyways that almost crosses into Top 40 territory. To say its only thugs and criminals that listen to them is quite ignorant. I can understand hip hop and r&b is a genre a lot of people hate but like any genre it has its fans and its place on the radio dial.

windowphobe
03-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Group ownership is a blight. There's no reason why a mere three companies (three and a half, if you want to count Champlin, which owns Hank FM and allows Cumulus to program Bob) should get to divide up 16 MHz of FM spectrum space. It took a lot of sheer pluck for Perry to latch onto an FM way the heck out in Anadarko and try to build an OKC audience for it. (KVSP actually puts a better signal over Lawton than it does over OKC.) There are only nine full(ish)-power commercial FM allocations for Oklahoma City; everything else is either a rimshooter or was moved in from far away.

bchris02
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if ClearChannel does something new on 94.7 soon. The Brew, last I checked, had dismal ratings and there are way too many classic rock stations in OKC for them all to remain. I can't imagine why they would continue to let a 100kw signal rot like that.

Mel
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
If they would diversify they might be surprised. Campbell soups has more diversity than our local over the air radio.

bchris02
03-11-2014, 09:17 PM
If they would diversify they might be surprised. Campbell soups has more diversity than our local over the air radio.

Agree. I am sick of country, classic rock, and sports talk. It seems like that's all corporate radio thinktanks assume will work here. If any company would be willing to do something a little more bold, it would be ClearChannel. They already own two country stations so its unlikely they would do country on a third signal. I wish 94.7 would flip to something not already in the market. That leaves the following formats that I can think of.

Alternative rock
Urban
Dance
Smooth jazz
Standards

I don't know why bringing something new to OKC wouldn't make good business sense. That station could have an entire demographic to itself rather than splitting its listeners with 4 other stations doing the same format.

traxx
03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
As far as hip hop is concerned; what about 103.5?

bchris02
03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
As far as hip hop is concerned; what about 103.5?

It would be nice if the weather didn't have to be just right for it to come in clear. Perry would be better to set up a translator like Now 96.5 and use it to properly cover OKC. I doubt there is much of a market for the station in Hobart or Elk City.