View Full Version : Creativity

PennyQuilts
01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I was wondering if some of the OKCtalk members were local artists or had hobbies that fall into that category? I quilt and photograph (not that I have any great talent) and was wondering what other people do along artistic lines.

so1rfan
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
I'll snap a photo or two on occasion.

CuatrodeMayo
01-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Architecture.

bluedogok
01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I used to know quite a few of them, I worked at Triangle A&E in the mid-80's before I went to the other side of the business.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-27-2010, 04:24 AM
I do some metal fabrication...Although not for artistic purposes.

PennyQuilts
01-27-2010, 05:44 AM
I do some metal fabrication...Although not for artistic purposes.

Cool.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-27-2010, 06:38 AM
It's usually out of necessity...I work on cars as a hobby, and I hate paying $150 for stuff I can make myself for $5 worth of scrap steel.

PennyQuilts
01-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Gotta love that!

bluedogok
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
It's usually out of necessity...I work on cars as a hobby, and I hate paying $150 for stuff I can make myself for $5 worth of scrap steel.
I have the same mentality about almost everything, I hate paying other people for doing things that I can do myself...I know that I definitely got that from my father. I know that I want to get some metal working tools/equipment to go along with my woodworking stuff, I would like to do metal and wood furniture. I have thought about building my own race chassis since there are still some SCCA classes which allow it.

PennyQuilts
01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Creating tools is what made our brains grow as a species, I 'spect...

dismayed
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I do some photography, I write, I play a couple of musical instruments, I am into modern interior design, and I like looking at architecture and art. I also like to cook ethnic dishes which can sometimes be an art of its own. And now I feel like an eHarmony tool. Thanks Penny.

rcjunkie
01-28-2010, 05:27 AM
I restore classic motorcycles (Harley's BMW's, Indian), and I recently purchased 7 old juke boxes to repair-restore.

My next project may be to build a bigger work shop!!!

PennyQuilts
01-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Dismayed, you sound like you have a very creative spirit. Rcjunkie, the guy who used to rent our barn (it is half finished with heat and air) had tons of juke boxes out there - I mean tons. I bet you knew/know him.

The older I get, the more important a workshop/big garage seems. I've turned a couple of rooms in our barn into a quilting studio.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I have the same mentality about almost everything, I hate paying other people for doing things that I can do myself...I know that I definitely got that from my father. I know that I want to get some metal working tools/equipment to go along with my woodworking stuff, I would like to do metal and wood furniture. I have thought about building my own race chassis since there are still some SCCA classes which allow it.
Heh...Woodworking huh? Need a radial arm saw? Mine takes up WAY too much space in my shop. :D

Dismayed, you sound like you have a very creative spirit. Rcjunkie, the guy who used to rent our barn (it is half finished with heat and air) had tons of juke boxes out there - I mean tons. I bet you knew/know him.

The older I get, the more important a workshop/big garage seems. I've turned a couple of rooms in our barn into a quilting studio.

That was my #1 house requirement to my wife when we got married, sold both our houses, and bought one together. A shop. Found a perfect place in Choctaw...3 car garage for the mowers, storage, and for her to park in...And a shop out back for my tools, my beer fridge, my heavy bag, and my GTO. It's got it's own entrance and I've got heat and A/C out there now...I can spend DAYS out there if she doesn't remind me that there's this thing called "the rest of the world" and that I should do something called "participate" in it.

PennyQuilts
01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Yup - a big enough shop is important. I recall the days when I didn't even think about how important a decent sized garage was. Young and stupid!! <vbg> Or maybe, things just change, sometimes.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
lol...When we first started looking she kept sending me links to very nice houses in the middle of neighborhoods (no backyard access, lots of covenant restrictions) with two car garages. I had to walk her out to my 3 car garage, kick the lights on and show her that my car barely fit in there with the 4 wheeler, mowers and tools.

She let out a big *sigh* and said "fine" but you get no more stuff!

/got more stuff anyway :D

PennyQuilts
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
lol..

/got more stuff anyway :D

Quite right!

ShiroiHikari
01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
I write, sometimes take photos, and sometimes play around with graphics, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly talented at any of them.

bluedogok
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Heh...Woodworking huh? Need a radial arm saw? Mine takes up WAY too much space in my shop. :D
I have my dad's, a 30 year old Craftsman, he gave it to me when I moved to Austin and his Grizzly table saw when he got a Jet Cabinet Saw so between that stuff, the stuff from merging two homes together and my motorcycle, the garage is pretty full...we do have an old piano that needs a new home....

That was my #1 house requirement to my wife when we got married, sold both our houses, and bought one together. A shop. Found a perfect place in Choctaw...3 car garage for the mowers, storage, and for her to park in...And a shop out back for my tools, my beer fridge, my heavy bag, and my GTO. It's got it's own entrance and I've got heat and A/C out there now...I can spend DAYS out there if she doesn't remind me that there's this thing called "the rest of the world" and that I should do something called "participate" in it.
We are looking at lots in Lago Vista (on the north shore of Lake Travis) and I am pretty much designing it with two 2-car garages so I have a shop in one of them, it will be air conditioned as well, it is miserable to try and work out there in the summer here.

gen70
01-29-2010, 03:14 AM
I restore classic motorcycles (Harley's BMW's, Indian), and I recently purchased 7 old juke boxes to repair-restore.

My next project may be to build a bigger work shop!!!

I love you!....RMM..

skyrick
02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I have three medium format cameras older than I am. 1947 Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic press camera; 1950 Rolleicord; 1942 Kodak Retina, oops, that's a 35mm rangefinder, not medium format. The Graflex shoots sheet film. I just finished developing 6 sheets of my 5 month old granddaughter. Negatives look real good. Tomorrow I'll print those six and six others I took of DFW's record snow storm a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a scanner or I would scan and post them. I'm not much for digital, in cameras or in music. I'd much rather listen to an LP or reel-to-reel tape than a CD.

PennyQuilts
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I have three medium format cameras older than I am. 1947 Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic press camera; 1950 Rolleicord; 1942 Kodak Retina, oops, that's a 35mm rangefinder, not medium format. The Graflex shoots sheet film. I just finished developing 6 sheets of my 5 month old granddaughter. Negatives look real good. Tomorrow I'll print those six and six others I took of DFW's record snow storm a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a scanner or I would scan and post them. I'm not much for digital, in cameras or in music. I'd much rather listen to an LP or reel-to-reel tape than a CD.

I bet it must be exciting to see how the pictures turn out on the old style. I hope they do well. Wow, a five month old granddaughter. Doesn't get much sweeter than that!

Jethrol
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
I've always loved photography but I've been out of it for a long time. I'm about to buy a new camera and get back into it. I've got a new mac so I'm looking forward to something that will help me use it more.

I have some friends that are into making movies and we've all been talking about writing a new script, shooting it and trying to sell it....but holy crap it's a lot of work and we're all kinda lazy. lol

For me, I have a very vivid imagination and feel like I'm quite creative but I have difficulty with the execution. It just seems like there are so many reasons to not engage....like playing video games, hanging out with friends, reading, watching TV, riding motorcycles, etc.

skyrick
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
For me, I have a very vivid imagination and feel like I'm quite creative but I have difficulty with the execution. It just seems like there are so many reasons to not engage....like playing video games, hanging out with friends, reading, watching TV, riding motorcycles, etc.

Yeah, procrastination's a bitch all right. Been dealing with it my whole life.

skyrick
02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I bet it must be exciting to see how the pictures turn out on the old style. I hope they do well. Wow, a five month old granddaughter. Doesn't get much sweeter than that!

Thanks PQ, It's something I've wanted to do since grade school and I'm having a blast at it. As for Savannah, it's the greatest just looking into her eyes, imagining the woman she'll be. Hope I'm around to see it.

kevinpate
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
... Wow, a five month old granddaughter. Doesn't get much sweeter than that!

Sure it does. A 26 month old gd (come Sunday) who has a lil' baby brother due to arrive before she is 27 months old. :LolLolLol

Even more so once they are back on this side of the pond again, to stay, just before summer has its official kickoff!

UBER SWEEEET!

PennyQuilts
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks PQ, It's something I've wanted to do since grade school and I'm having a blast at it. As for Savannah, it's the greatest just looking into her eyes, imagining the woman she'll be. Hope I'm around to see it.

Sounds like it would be a blessing to her if you are. I adored my grandfather - hope you have a similar relationship with Savannah. And what a lovely name.

PennyQuilts
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Sure it does. A 26 month old gd (come Sunday) who has a lil' baby brother due to arrive before she is 27 months old. :LolLolLol

Even more so once they are back on this side of the pond again, to stay, just before summer has its official kickoff!

UBER SWEEEET!

Little girls are darling and if she takes after you, what a charmer. And how wonderful that a grandson is on the march! Congrats!

I need to talk to me kids, seriously...

PennyQuilts
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM

I was always so busy when I was younger that I didn't have time for "frivolous" stuff like a hobby. Probably the best thing to happen to me when we moved back east was to have time on my hands to try something creative - that is when I took up quilting in my forties. It really changed my perspective on a lot of things and I just wish I'd made time for something like that when I was younger. I'd have been a better rounded person. But better late than never and maybe when the time is right you'll go that route, yourself. Well, maybe not quilting but you know what I mean (although some of the best quilters are men).

Jethrol
02-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I was always so busy when I was younger that I didn't have time for "frivolous" stuff like a hobby. Probably the best thing to happen to me when we moved back east was to have time on my hands to try something creative - that is when I took up quilting in my forties. It really changed my perspective on a lot of things and I just wish I'd made time for something like that when I was younger. I'd have been a better rounded person. But better late than never and maybe when the time is right you'll go that route, yourself. Well, maybe not quilting but you know what I mean (although some of the best quilters are men).
hahaha.....oh man, wouldn't a quilt just go soooo well with my hog?

Jethrol
02-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok....just picked up my new camera....Nikon D90!! I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the features but I'm looking forward to learning everything. Let the creativity begin. lol