View Full Version : Do You REMEMBER "The Twilight Zone" in OKC???

Generals64
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Just thought there could be some VERY interesting stories about this area of OKC....AKA Carey Place......

mugofbeer
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
My aunt and uncle lived on Carey place. My aunt got alzheimers so when my uncle died another aunt came to live with her. Other than my elder aunt's alzheimers-induced belief that it caused her to think the younger aunt was "some woman who got off the bus and broke into" her house, I don't know of any "Twilight Zone" occurrances there.

Generals64
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
As a kid growing up in OKC there were numerous stories about that street and that area. Something like an Urban Legend. One of the stories I had heard were that all the women (not remember, I was about 16) Sunbathed in the nude. Of course, every chance we had we would go over there....Not to smart even then though, we would always go at night....And, there are still many stories out there from kids of other areas in OKC.....My youngest son started to buy his first house on Carey Street.....I about went crazy telling him NOT TO....I know better (I think)......So, he went up around Mesta Park and bought there....Oh Well, it's hard for a South Sider to cross the river without swimming any way....

rocket-j-squirrel
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Went looking for a first house back in the '70's and found one for sale on Carey Place. I thought the neighborhood and architectural style was cool. When I walked into the home, something didn't feel quite right. In fact, it was creepy! I think I spent about 5 minutes in there, and got the heck out. Definitely a Stepford Street.

gen70
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
My buddies and I used to drive over there at night and look around. We never saw anybody around, it looked like nobody lived there. It reminded me of a movie set.

Generals64
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
My buddies and I used to drive over there at night and look around. We never saw anybody around, it looked like nobody lived there. It reminded me of a movie set.

================================================== ============
I have heard that same basic story hundreds of times. The area is classic and is beautiful. But, the "Twilight Zone" has stuck with that area for years and years......I too have gone down the streets both day and night and never seen anyone.....Cars were there and no sign of life.....weird. But, I'm sure the imagination of young people can go off in all directions....Sometimes it was a dare...sometimes it was to get the girl with you to sit a little bit closer...who knows?

papaOU
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

We did the same. Never saw a person or even a light on inside the home. Of course along with other "haunted places" you always get spooked on the way there with those "I heard" type stories. Probably could not even find the place during daylight hours.:tiphat:

Doug Loudenback
01-08-2010, 06:36 AM
I've admired Carey Place since I've lived here permanently (1970) and before during school at OU -- very unique area of Gatewood. Well, that Twilight Zone stuff is new and funny to me, but maybe it explains some things. My 1st wife and I were friends with a young married couple our age who owned a house on the east side of the street and we visited there a few times.

They eventually moved and divorced. My 1st wife and I eventually divorced, too. Twilight Zone, you think? But, what if ... what if in the Twilight Zone one could not be divorced ...

For the answer, one must look to the master, Rod Serling, who was the 1st to have discovered the zone in the modern era. He taught,

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".
In a previously hidden but recently discovered episode, we now know that history's mysteries, at least some of them, can sometimes be solved for those that have the ears to hear and a microphone to speak into, even in 1692 before the discovery of electricity, sound amplifiers, and the like ... or were they there and no one knew?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/sallykern.gif

Even if the presence of the speaker way back then in Massachusetts history provides no surprise, who knew that they had microphones way back in 1692?

grantgeneral78
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Twilight zone?.....never heard of it.

flintysooner
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Story I heard was that you'd go there at night and all the lights would be on but you'd never see any people.

But the few times I went all the lights were not on and I did see some people.

ddavidson8
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
When I went all the lights were off and everyone was standing on the sidewalk watching me drive by.

USG '60
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM
They have all been vacant since the '50s. The cars are just props.

mrbob
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I bought some 45s records a couple street down from Carey Place. So I drove down the street it was about July 2009 around 5 pm saw an old man standing leaning on his car looking at me go by. He had on a plaid shirt with brown trousers , looked like he came out of the fifties. I have been down that street so many times, but this was the first time I have seen anyone. Back in the good ole days at CHHS 1960s I almost walked down that street at midnight on a dare. Too many rumors for me, so just call me Chicken S. LOL

Prunepicker
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Just thought there could be some VERY interesting stories about this area
of OKC... AKA Carey Place.
In the very early 70's I remember people walking around in heavy coats. It
was July or August. That was weird!

I know it's been debunked, but there was a rumor that each house was
connected by a tunnel in the basement.

Does anyone remember the story about the girl who was murdered? Her
spirit was supposed to walk around Carey Place. I'm not sure when it
happened, if ever, but it was a big deal. There was an article in the Daily
Oklahoman about 50 years ago. I think Doug Loudenback has something
about it on his site.

I'll bet that for every urban legend there are 50 different stories and none
of them hold water. Gen64 is probably hoping they'll hold beer.

Better yet, for every urban legend there's probably 10 U.S. Grant vs Capitol
Hill stories that have more truth than fiction. Hey, I was there! They're all
true!

papaOU
01-09-2010, 10:30 PM
spirit was supposed to walk around Carey Place.

The girl walks to the Plaza theater and back constantly. She will not be released from this planet until she sees the films "Tommy" and "Zachariah" as a double bill....

skyrick
01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
spirit was supposed to walk around Carey Place.

The girl walks to the Plaza theater and back constantly. She will not be released from this planet until she sees the films "Tommy" and "Zachariah" as a double bill....

Zachariah, that's a movie few people outside of a certain age range will never have heard of. Gotta love it; Joe Walsh and the James Gang rocking out in the middle of the desert; Country Joe & the Fish as a bar band in an old western town; burlap sacks labeled "Oro de Acapulco" on the donkey's back.

Rick

Generals64
01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I've read all of the posts and they ALL seem to have some sort of story:....Which (if any) of them are real???? Even as old as I am I still have an erie feeling about going into that part of town.....I can remember that on the Southside of town there was a place called "Sleepy Hollow" where a Headless being would come out of the ditches and scare the "Crap" out of you....You could take your girlfriend (or any girl) down there and it wouldn't be long until they were in your lap. Those guys (Grant guys) were good at scaring you. But, I was about 30 before I found out that it was a bunch of pranksters.....Oh well the South and the North side of OKC have their legends.....Carey Place is still a weird place to visit....Tell us more you guys....

papaOU
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Zachariah, that's a movie few people outside of a certain age range will never have heard of. Gotta love it; Joe Walsh and the James Gang rocking out in the middle of the desert; Country Joe & the Fish as a bar band in an old western town; burlap sacks labeled "Oro de Acapulco" on the donkey's back.

Rick

I saw both of those films as first runs at the Plaza.

USG '60
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I saw both of those films as first runs at the Plaza.

Which is right around the corner from.... where else .....Carey Place.

Prunepicker
01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Zachariah, that's a movie few people outside of a certain age range will never
have heard of. Gotta love it; Joe Walsh and the James Gang rocking out in
the middle of the desert; Country Joe & the Fish as a bar band in an old
western town; burlap sacks labeled "Oro de Acapulco" on the donkey's back.

Elvin Jones' drum solo! He was Job Cain, the black sheriff. Proctor, Bergman,
Austin and Ossman, aka The Firesign Theater, were among the writers. A silly
movie but full of "period" entertainment value.

Prunepicker
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I've read all of the posts and they ALL seem to have some sort of story...
Which (if any) of them are real? Even as old as I am I still have an erie
feeling about going into that part of town... I can remember that on the
Southside of town there was a place called "Sleepy Hollow" where a
Headless being would come out of the ditches and scare the "Crap" out of
you... You could take your girlfriend (or any girl) down there and it wouldn't
be long until they were in your lap. Those guys (Grant guys) were good at
scaring you. But, I was about 30 before I found out that it was a bunch of
pranksters... Oh well the South and the North side of OKC have their
legends... Carey Place is still a weird place to visit... Tell us more you
guys...
Was there a place around Moore where "The Hermit" lived? I remember a
group of us driving to the place but I'm not sure what it was called. It
seemed to be way out of town, which means it was probably near 4th and
Eastern. LOL!

ddavidson8
01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Is this thread moving towards a spooky OKC places line of thought? If so, there is a thread for that.

Generals64
01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Is this thread moving towards a spooky OKC places line of thought? If so, there is a thread for that.

================================================== =============
Nah, it's just the mystique of Carey Place.....Now, that is one beautiful neighborhood and we don't mean to "Disrespect" the place...It's just that as kids from the early 60's until now there are many stories out there.... It's funny how your mind travels so old when your age is so young.....

Generals64
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Went back over there.....Same eerie feeling and still no people.....Welcome to OKC.....The Twilight Zone....

TeriOKC
07-17-2010, 06:18 AM
The story I've always heard from different people growing up in various parts of OKC was that it was a center for Satanic worship in the 1940's. Kind of a "coven" thing. Great story, and the architecture and "feelng" of the place definitely lends to the mystique.

papaOU
07-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Especiilay when you first went there was as at teen, at night, telling ghost stories before hand. Maybe a libation or some other kind of mind altering substance. It's been ingrained so even today the place is spooky day or night. Just the same as, even though it's been remodled, U.S. Grant.

CuatrodeMayo
07-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I'll be moving down the street from there in about a week. I'll keep you all updated on "ghoul" front.

redwine8884
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
When I saw this post, I immediately knew it was about Carrey Place. I lived 2 blks. from there in the 70's. It always had a mystical aura, just 2 blocks and seemed like another place in time. Never saw any one outside. FROZEN IN TIME!

Prunepicker
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
... I immediately knew it was about Carrey Place.
Au contraire mon ami. It's Carey Place. One R.

We now return to our normal programming...

papaOU
07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
The Twilight Zone has rekindled memories and jolted the curiosity of those who unaware. It's getting smoked on Facebook. Several people are taking day and night trips to experience the local.

Prunepicker
07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
The Twilight Zone has rekindled memories and jolted the curiosity
of those who unaware. It's getting smoked on Facebook. Several
people are taking day and night trips to experience the local.
What's the Facebook url? The Twi-light Zone isn't as much of a
Twi-light Zone as much as people want to believe. Except for a
few axe murders, devil worship and the underground maze that
nobody, except everybody, knows about, it's a rather norbal
place in this part of the world.

papaOU
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Just go to Facebook.com. Register and I will send you a friend request.

Bigrayok
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
The story I always heard involved a young girl that was murdered. Her name was supposedly Carey and one of the houses was supposed to have axes carved into its shudders.

Bigray in Ok

Prunepicker
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2000/10/30/35/Img/Ar0350401.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2000/10/30/35/Img/Ar0350402.png

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2000/10/30/35/Img/Pc0351300.jpghttp://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2000/10/30/35/Img/Ar0350404.png

Ignore the part about the Childrens Home. It was attached to
the part about Carey Place.
about the

Generals64
07-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I remember the Guthrie Stuff...Lived there for 3 years.....Not the Masonic Children's home but in Guthrie...

gen70
07-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I think that there is a reason that this urban myth has evolved. I would like to know the real reason.

Generals64
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
HEY dOUG.....STEVE:.....HELP THIS ANSWER....FIND SOME GOOD STUFF ABOUT HOW THE MYTH LIVES ON CAREY PLACE...."THE TWILIGHT ZONE"...

Prunepicker
07-23-2010, 09:16 PM
HEY DOUG... STEVE... HELP THIS ANSWER... FIND SOME GOOD
STUFF ABOUT HOW THE MYTH LIVES ON CAREY PLACE... "THE
TWILIGHT ZONE"...

I've found some things in the Oklahoman Archives. I'll try to
find and post them.

gen70
07-24-2010, 08:32 AM
I've found some things in the Oklahoman Archives. I'll try to
find and post them. Please do...

ddavidson8
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Instead of sending a friend request, why don't you just copy and paste the twilight zone facebook url? I did a search on facebook and found nothing for carey place or the twilight zone okc.

Prunepicker
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230006.png

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230007.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230009.png

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230008.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230009.png

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Ar0230012.png

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Pc0230600.jpg
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1980/11/22/23/Img/Pc0230601.png

gen70
07-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks Prune.

Prunepicker
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Prune.
de rien, monseur

papaOU
07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
He looks evil enough to scare you away.

Generals64
08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
OMG.....I drove by The Twilight Zone and actually saw some people doing yard work.....had to get out of there quick.....

Prunepicker
08-01-2010, 08:48 PM
OMG... I drove by The Twilight Zone and actually saw some
people doing yard work... had to get out of there quick...
YARDWORK! That's frightening!

papaOU
08-02-2010, 01:27 AM
OMG.....I drove by The Twilight Zone and actually saw some people doing yard work.....had to get out of there quick.....

That was by direct orders from the CIA to throw people off guard.

One day I just happened to drive through and nestled in the very center of the addition was the Western Dip!:ohno:

gen70
08-02-2010, 08:10 AM
That was by direct orders from the CIA to throw people off guard.

One day I just happened to drive through and nestled in the very center of the addition was the Western Dip!:ohno: Yeah...that was the northside location.

papaOU
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I bought some 45s records a couple street down from Carey Place. So I drove down the street it was about July 2009 around 5 pm saw an old man standing leaning on his car looking at me go by. He had on a plaid shirt with brown trousers , looked like he came out of the fifties. I have been down that street so many times, but this was the first time I have seen anyone. Back in the good ole days at CHHS 1960s I almost walked down that street at midnight on a dare. Too many rumors for me, so just call me Chicken S. LOL

I think most of those 45's you bought were stolen from the guy in the plaid shirt....

Generals64
08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I think after the meeting at coit's we should go over to carey place and see if it still exists or if the movie "twilight" took the area over...

papaOU
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I think after the meeting at coit's we should go over to carey place and see if it still exists or if the movie "twilight" took the area over...

Clean out the mystery van and we can all go together.

I'll follow in my car in case something happens.....