View Full Version : Towing cars

Pages : 1 [2]

soonerguru
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
For what it's worth as this thread goes back and forth on the subject of tickets...
It was a parking ticket that led to the capture of the Son of Sam in NYC, 1977 - one of the most ruthless serial killers of the century.
And w/o meaning to dwell on the boming, it was a speeding stop that led to the arrest of Timothy McVeigh.

This is, I believe, a red herring to the discussion du jour. But thanks anyway.

Spartan
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Here's why the city's piss poor job of plowing the roads in this part of town is unacceptable..

NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/name-of-man-who-died-in-icy-oklahoma-city-wreck-released/article/3427989?custom_click=masthead_topten)

LakeEffect
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Here's why the city's piss poor job of plowing the roads in this part of town is unacceptable..

NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/name-of-man-who-died-in-icy-oklahoma-city-wreck-released/article/3427989?custom_click=masthead_topten)

Do you not believe "too fast for conditions"?

Millie
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't think "coming home from work" is a valid excuse. Why leave somewhere that is warm and has ample food to go out and risk your life/become a traffic hazard? Every radio station/newscaster was telling people to stay wherever they were and not attempt to drive.

Millie
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Do you not believe "too fast for conditions"?

Agree. The roads not being plowed may have contributed some small amount, but... to hit ice at a speed sufficient to flip your vehicle shows some poor judgment.

betts
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't think "coming home from work" is a valid excuse. Why leave somewhere that is warm and has ample food to go out and risk your life/become a traffic hazard? Every radio station/newscaster was telling people to stay wherever they were and not attempt to drive.

Because it was Christmas Eve? And you had children home that you hadn't seen in months and months who were only going to be home for 48 hours? I think that's a valid excuse personally. If you're willing to take the risk, and you know how to drive in snow, having lived in snowy conditions much of your life. Most of the risk is from drivers who don't know how to drive in snow, being unused to it. But, if you're driving 20 miles an hour and being careful, the risk of anything other than a fender bender or getting stuck in a drift is low.

soonerguru
12-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't think "coming home from work" is a valid excuse. Why leave somewhere that is warm and has ample food to go out and risk your life/become a traffic hazard? Every radio station/newscaster was telling people to stay wherever they were and not attempt to drive

Wow, your holiday compassion is really showing this year.

Millie
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM

It would be have been a great holiday for the guy if he hit and killed somebody on his way home, wouldn't it?

Like 3/4 of the people I know, my whole family wasn't able to get together as planned this year due to the storm. It sucked, but we dealt with it. Wanting to be with your family, or the virtue of "being from New York, where it snows" doesn't make you immune to the weather conditions (as this case clearly shows). I'm not trying to personally attack anybody here- I don't really care if or why the guy decided to go home from work, but I have a really hard time mustering any sympathy for anybody who makes that decision and then wants to complain about the outcome.

The vehicle was illegally left in the roadway. Ample time passed, and ample warning was given. The people were either unwilling or unable to move the vehicle in the time that was allowed, and the vehicle was towed to prevent it from being a hazard to others. Complaining about that, or suggesting that the vehicles be towed for free (because God forbid the towing company be in business for profit or the police make up some small amount of the admin costs involved in the storm and its aftermath) just really rubs me the wrong way. (As does the "it is Christmas" argument- on which date does it become appropriate to begin enforcing laws/ordinances again?)

mikesimpsons82
12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
As the old saying goes, "The stupid shall be punished." I bet you were first in line.

Spartan
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Let me know if you people have an original thought sometime soon..

Too bad Millie didn't have to work on the day of the storm, because if she had, hopefully she would still be bunkered down in her office (hopefully not starving). After all, there is still ice on the roads, and people will always be getting in accidents. Keep telling yourself that it's not safe to go out. Fear the outside.

betts
12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
What vehicle was illegally left in the roadway? Not ours. What ample warning? We had none. It was towed before any news item was put out via television or newspaper. And again (and again and again) the road was impassable anyway, because it was not plowed and it had drifts two to three feet deep for the entire block. To get our car out, we would have had to shovel half a block of street. The city was in the wrong, IMO, but it's over. Fini.

easternobserver
12-28-2009, 08:42 PM
If you drive a car with no ground clearance, you dont need to be driving in the snow. Regardless of where you are from -- NY or HI. Being from the northeast, where 18 inches of snow doesnt even close schools the next day, I know how to drive in the snow as well as anyone. That said, my cute, little, fuel-efficient car has sat in the driveway since the snow came, and my big, giant, four-wheel drive, gas-guzzling, crew-cab pickup has gotten both me and my wife wherever we have needed to go (and has helped several stuck people, as well). It is a given that the infrastructure simply does not exist to keep the roads clear of snow, so that is all the more reason to only go out if you have a vehicle capable of getting you home. If you need to get somewhere and dont have a suitable vehicle, you may need to leave early. If you choose to take to the road ill-equipped, you endanger yourself and others. If you get stuck with no way to pull yourself out, and have to be pulled out by a private tow-truck in order to clear the public roadway, the least you can do is go thank the tow company (they sure didnt want to be out working over the Holiday), pay their fee, and go on about your business somewhat happily.

Why the venom? Because people are so quick to jump all over their government with absurd accusations and unrealistic expectations. In this conversation alone, government officials have been accused of corruption, theft, conspiracy, and fraud. Why? Because someone authorized the removal of a vehicle that had been abandoned in the middle of a public roadway. That is utterly absurd.

Steve
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Soonerguru, posted in wrong thread... sorry ... please proceed.

betts
12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Because someone authorized the removal of a vehicle that had been abandoned in the middle of a public roadway. That is utterly absurd.

Your criticisms are fine, as long as they're accurate. No one has yet been discussing a vehicle abandoned in the middle of a public roadway. And, when you're a doctor, leaving early is not an option. You leave when you're done with your work. I don't think anyone would be happy if their wife, child, mother was left without medical care so that the driver of the vehicle could be sure to leave before the snow got heavy. In the situation being discussed, that was 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve. Reading Comprehension 101 might be a nice interim class.

But, all's right with the world. My Thunder won again tonight!

bretthexum
12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
It would be have been a great holiday for the guy if he hit and killed somebody on his way home, wouldn't it?

Like 3/4 of the people I know, my whole family wasn't able to get together as planned this year due to the storm. It sucked, but we dealt with it. Wanting to be with your family, or the virtue of "being from New York, where it snows" doesn't make you immune to the weather conditions (as this case clearly shows).

I agree.

I missed my trip back home to Wisconsin because of the storm. Yes it sucks but I'm not going to risk my life driving in that crap. It doesn't matter if it's 10 miles or 1000 miles. People had no business being out in those conditions. For the people working I understand. For the thousands of morons at the mall... or people trying to drive across the town or state - no sympathy at all. Maybe they'll learn a lesson this time

Spartan
12-28-2009, 09:27 PM
But, all's right with the world. My Thunder won again tonight!

We only won tonight because the Nets are horrible. Our offensive efficiency was severely lacking. In the 4th quarter we had great defense, ran away with the game on defense by holding the Nets to like 10 points the whole quarter and letting them make mistakes. But we still didn't capitalize on any of the turnovers we forced and we rarely turned an offensive rebound into 2. Not good enough in my opinion. It will take a more Thunder-like effort to put away the Wiz on the road.

(Searching for a less contentious and less insulting topic for this thread..lol)

mugofbeer
12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
The suddenness and the ferocity of the storm was something a lot of people heard about but simply didn't fathom so for a lot of people who were out, I understand. What I simply can't understand are people who abandoned their cars in the middle of traffic lanes. There was a car in the westbound lanes of NW 63rd that was cockeyed so it blocked both westbound lanes. The car was still there on the morning of the 26th! There were plenty of other examples of cars that were simply abandoned without any concern for where they were. Yes, the city had an obligation to move many of the cars.

soonerguru
12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
As the old saying goes, "The stupid shall be punished." I bet you were first in line.

Be careful. You might drown in all the bile you spew on this board.

So far, in your illustrious posting career here, you've been good for verbal vomit and not much else.

mugofbeer
12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Be careful. You might drown in all the bile you spew on this board.

So far, in your illustrious posting career here, you've been good for verbal vomit and not much else.

So put him on "ignore" and move on.

jstaylor62
12-29-2009, 07:38 AM
For what it's worth as this thread goes back and forth on the subject of tickets...
It was a parking ticket that led to the capture of the Son of Sam in NYC, 1977 - one of the most ruthless serial killers of the century.
And w/o meaning to dwell on the boming, it was a speeding stop that led to the arrest of Timothy McVeigh.

And perhaps a ticket from last week will lead to the arrest of "Son of Frosty"...

ultimatesooner
12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
anyone who left their car and didn't have it out the next day deserved to have it towed

Bunty
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
The suddenness and the ferocity of the storm was something a lot of people heard about but simply didn't fathom so for a lot of people who were out, I understand. What I simply can't understand are people who abandoned their cars in the middle of traffic lanes. There was a car in the westbound lanes of NW 63rd that was cockeyed so it blocked both westbound lanes. The car was still there on the morning of the 26th! There were plenty of other examples of cars that were simply abandoned without any concern for where they were. Yes, the city had an obligation to move many of the cars.

Use your common sense. They were probably spinning their wheels trying to go forward or backward, so just gave up.

mugofbeer
12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Use your common sense. They were probably spinning their wheels trying to go forward or backward, so just gave up.

Common sense IS the entire point. Being that it was a BMW, I have doubts they got mired that deeply on the 24th. Those cars are built for bad weather and are good in snow. Perhaps getting stuck for the day of the 24th, but not leaving it there until the 26th in the middle of one of the busiest streets in town forcing all westbound traffic into eastbound lanes. Since it was a BMW I doubt it wasn't because they couldn't afford the wrecker to pull them out.

OKCGUY3
12-29-2009, 12:00 PM
What vehicle was illegally left in the roadway? Not ours. What ample warning? We had none. It was towed before any news item was put out via television or newspaper. And again (and again and again) the road was impassable anyway, because it was not plowed and it had drifts two to three feet deep for the entire block. To get our car out, we would have had to shovel half a block of street. The city was in the wrong, IMO, but it's over. Fini.

Ummm... I have a question. If your husbands car got stuck while driving, as you said in your first post, then that means it was stuck in the roadway. (unless he was driving off of the road way) so how is it not illegally left in the roadway? Did he move it to a legal parking area after getting it stuck in the roadway? (obviously not or he wouldn't have been stuck) Also, why was he driving down a dead end road in a snow sotrm?

OKCGUY3
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
SNOW STORM. (typo)

betts
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Ummm... I have a question. If your husbands car got stuck while driving, as you said in your first post, then that means it was stuck in the roadway. (unless he was driving off of the road way) so how is it not illegally left in the roadway? Did he move it to a legal parking area after getting it stuck in the roadway? (obviously not or he wouldn't have been stuck) Also, why was he driving down a dead end road in a snow sotrm?

A). We pushed it to the side of the road after it got stuck, and spent about an hour just getting it to the side of the road. We couldn't get it back to our house because the entire street was snowed in and about two feet deep in snow. It was dark and the street was poorly lit when my husband came home (about 9 p.m.) so he couldn't tell how deep the snow was when he turned onto it.

B). The cross street by my house (the one he was driving on towards our house) deadends a block from my house.