View Full Version : Poblano Grill

Pages : [1] 2

TaoMaas
10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Does anybody know the story behind Dos Gabachos and Poblano Grill? I know that the Dos Gabachos at Kelly and Danforth in Edmond used to be a Poblano Grill, but why the split? Aren't the menus almost identical in the two places? It's like there were two partners who divided the business with one getting the location, the other getting the rights to the name, and both retaining rights to the recipes. What's up?

jbrown84
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
There was also a Poblano at Independence and NWX for a couple years.

FFLady
10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Dos Gabachos = Two Brothers. One brother bought the Pablano's in Edmond and changed the named to D.G....that's how I heard it anyways....

Martin
10-21-2008, 01:44 PM
dos gabachos = two brothers.

¿que? i'm pretty certain hermano is spanish for 'brother'...

-M

FFLady
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
true - and I'm thinking Gabacho was their last name? This was the story the waiter at D.G told us when we went to eat their shortly after them changing from Pablanos....

tuck
10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Poblano's is now owned by the same group that has Henry Hudson's and Bellini's. I have heard they are moving the Northpark store to the old Bennigan's on Memorial.

jbrown84
10-21-2008, 02:57 PM
That's odd. More visibility I guess, but they've put a lot into that space.

edball
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Dos Gabachos still has the same excellent food from before the change. I love their chicken fajita enchiladas....mmmmmm good.

John
10-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Dos Gabachos is referring to two outsiders, or in more literal terms 'two white guys'.

I have seen work start to pick up at the Bennigan's location -- very interesting! I like it!

OkieHornet
10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
i like DG's food, but the prices seem to go up every time i eat there... i think there's mexican food just as good for cheaper in Edmond... Los Arcos, El Parian, Alvarado's, Chelino's...

ISayGoPokes
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I used to know the story, but can't remember all the details...

The Poblano that is now DG was opened by a guy that used to be a manager at Ted's, back when that was the only Poblano (I know that part is accurate). I think he sold the Poblano concept off, then reopened as DG's. Something like that...

lind0939
04-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Not sure why they split but now all Poblano Grill restaurants are owned by Adair which also owns Henry Hudson's and Bellini's. I have never been to Dos Gabachos but Poblano is probably my favorite mexican restaurant. The food is very similar to Ted's although I think Poblano has the best fajitas and their papas tejanos (mashed potatoes) are very good as well. I personally prefer the corn at Ted's but other than that Poblano is the clear favorite.

lasomeday
04-06-2009, 07:07 AM
We need to give you guys some spanish lessons. Gabacho means frog.

metro
04-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Pablano's close to Ted's in taste? I highly disagree.

Martin
04-06-2009, 08:00 AM
gabacho means frog.

i thought rana meant frog.

-M

southernskye
04-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Enter a Spanish or English Word:

gabacho

adjective1. Froggy (informal Pey) (peninsular Spanish)

masculine or feminine noun2. Frog

gabacho [gah-bah’-cho, chah]

Translate Gabacho into English | Spanish to English Translation (http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/gabacho)

Martin
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
oh, i see... hmm... do you think that a mexican restaurant is going to use iberian spanish in its name? -M

kevinpate
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Maybe, they did sort of jump from one to the other

OKC4me
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Dos Gabachos is good for lunch only. They're lunch menu is $6.99, and I get their mexican potatos, and beans. They are great. I can usually save the meal for dinner too!

Dinner is very expensive! Seems like they do raise the prices weekly. Los Arcos is where I go for mexican dinner, they are not as good, but for the price difference, they are great!

OKC4me
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
I like dos gab better than Ted's by the way. Teds is getting waaaaay to proud of themselves. How much are the fajitas now? Like $19.99. They are very, very proud of them. Not worth it.

LM401
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I like dos gab better than Ted's by the way. Teds is getting waaaaay to proud of themselves. How much are the fajitas now? Like $19.99. They are very, very proud of them. Not worth it.

I agree, plus I got my credit card number stolen at Ted's!

jbkrems
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Mama Rojo is better than all of them!

OKCMallen
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Adobe Grill is better than all of them!

FTFY

We need a GEG take on Tex-Mex.

Centerback
04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
We went to the new Poblano a couple of weeks ago and the poor service made the move to the new building but the good food unfortunately did not.

jbrown84
04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
That's not a winning combination.

KTB
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
We ate at the new location shortly after they opened on Memorial and N. May. The food was outstanding but the service was the worst I've received. Ever. Anywhere.

Non-Edmondite in Edmond
11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
From what we were told, they didn't really know how to translate Dos Gabachos other than it roughly was to mean "Two White Guys". Poblano's Grill split into two entities because the other partner that was with Brian originally wanted to not be partners with him anymore. At least, that's what we were told when we asked why the name change for just the one restaurant. Then we were hopeful the food would be good again (it had gone downhill for a while) when we heard that they were bringing Gaby back to that location (he had been in charge of the kitchens there but had been transferred when all the different Poblano's opened up) because Brian or his at-that-time partner hired him back from Poblano's. That was good, and when they made Cary manager it was all good as long as Brian wasn't there. Then Cary left after he graduated college, Gaby bought into the place with Brian (against everyone's advice) and you see where it went. Now they are closed and we just hope Gaby didn't lose everything. Sad. Very sad.

jbrown84
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Dos Gabachos closed?

flintysooner
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
It opened in the old Russell Stover building which has been nicely remodeled.

We about turned the table over and then slid it around a bit. It's a little dark for me but cozy.

This is now my favorite place for fish tacos. They had a little bit of a sweetness I particularly enjoyed. I also liked the steamed beans. The rice wasn't particularly my liking as I thought they were a little dry and I didn't taste much of anything. The papa tejanos looked tasty and I'll probably try it next time. The corn was good but had to me a sour cream taste I could have lived without. Others liked it a lot and didn't notice so probably me.

The diablo salsa was a little too hot for me but I very much liked the caliente and the regular. The "relish" was good as was the pico de gallo. The chips were broken a little too much for my taste but very good. Tortillas were excellent and I believe freshly made there.

Service was excellent and very attentive. Manager came by personally to welcome us and thank us for coming.

All in all a very good experience.

mikesimpsons82
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Isn't Poblano Grill basically the same thing as Alfredo's/Ted's? If so, no thanks. :)

rcjunkie
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Isn't Poblano Grill basically the same thing as Alfredo's/Ted's? If so, no thanks. :)

Alfredo's yes, no where near the quailty of Ted's.

Poblano Grill is the Denny's of Mexican Food, it's a great place to go----when nothing else is open.

Jesseda
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
funny i thought teds was tex mex more towards american crap in my opinion, but heyI am mexican so im picky, but i like los vaqueros in moore off 12th and janeway, but i order stuff that is not on the menu.

mikesimpsons82
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Alfredo's yes, no where near the quailty of Ted's.

Poblano Grill is the Denny's of Mexican Food, it's a great place to go----when nothing else is open.
Quality of Ted's? Geez...it must be unbelievably bad if it's even worse than Ted's. I think I'll just stick with Tarahumaras in Norman.

craigbanks
12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
My wife and I used to eat at the one in Edmond all the time and we loved it. I will not go anywhere else now other than Pablanos.

Easy180
12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Poblano's is ok...Do have excellent sopapillas

I say all three mex restaurants across the street from each other are all on the same level...Probably just rotate if we don't want to go very far

Dave Cook
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
It's weird seeing cars parked in front of that Pablanos.

I don't think I ever saw a customer visiting that building while it was Russell Stover's. What a bad idea that was.

rcjunkie
12-21-2009, 06:19 PM
It's weird seeing cars parked in front of that Pablanos.

I don't think I ever saw a customer visiting that building while it was Russell Stover's. What a bad idea that was.

If you'll notice, most of the people parking there are going next door to Buffalo Wild Wings. Over flow parking!!!

pearlbluevtx
12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
been 3 times since they opened, very good experience. food was excellent.

used to eat at the old poblano that was mentioned above, in Edmond, and when we first went there, it was good. It seemed to go downhill though... then finally changed one or more times over...

comparing alfredos vs ted's vs poblano ... like them all. to me, poblano & teds seem to be closest in comparing food taste; however, I like all three...

but give me the apricot salsa + salsa bar @ iguana grill in downtown, that's my favorite salsa!!

selk1
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I drove by the Poblano Grill on I-240 and saw they were closed with the sign removed.
Would like to see Interurban come back to this spot.

Martin
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
no surprise... the parking lot seemed as if it was always empty. went once and the food was mediocre at best but they charged premium prices. -M

Dustin
11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Hope the one on May doesn't go out. I love that place!

selk1
11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
I was not thrilled with the food or the pricing there. I like Alfredo's in Moore alot better.

MustangGT
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Here is to getting another business in that location that knows what it is doing and generates a lot of loyal regularily returning customers.

Easy180
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I was not thrilled with the food or the pricing there. I like Alfredo's in Moore alot better.

Agreed

LM401
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Their sopapillas are my favorite

bradzilla
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
that location / building doesnt seem to have much luck at keeping tenants. its kinda strange because all of the other restaurants around it are busy and the building isnt an eyesore.

Easy180
05-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Just thinking the Poblano in Moore probably is not long for the world either...Alfredo's always kills it and it wasn't even crowded when it first opened

Bigrayok
05-11-2011, 09:54 AM
There was a Poblano Grill on South Meridian in part of the Emerson Biggins building. It has closed too. I have seen numerous OKC restaurants start out with one successful location then expand to other locations that fail. Some have gone out of business completely. Remember Custino's? I used to love that place. They were highly successful in the old Taco Bell on May Avenue then expanded into Edmond and South Oklahoma City and went out of business.

I remember when the company that owned the local Chi Chi's and the Duffs Smorgasboards (Kelly Johnston Enterprises I believe) expanded too much too fast and went out of business. They even hired Vince Orza to be their Vice-President of Marketing but it was too little too late. Falcone's had five stores at one time. They are down to two stores now I believe. I like Falcone's so I hope they can keep it together.

I have always thought the Blevins brothers of City Bites of have done a good job of expanding but not expanding too much too fast. I think they had a Franchise in Wichita that is not open anymore and the Mad Cow in Warr Acres failed but they have been pretty successful overall. I know at one time they were going to partner with the people that used to own the Magnolia Cafe on Western to develop franchises in the Dallas area, but it never happend. They have been franchising on a small scale in the last couple of years.

Bigray in Ok

Pete
07-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Ate at Poblano Grill on N. May just south of Memorial a couple of weeks ago (had to meet someone who worked out in that area, otherwise I tend to avoid the Memorial corridor out of principle).

Big crowd and wait on an early Friday evening but the bar area is just a small bar with stools; no place really to wait if the 6-8 seats are taken. So, clearly this is meant to be a family place and not one to go for drinks.

The food was okay but the CORN of all things was delicious! Had some sort of spicy peppers in it and I could have made a whole meal out of just that.

damonsmuz
07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I saw a "FOR SALE/LEASE" sigh in front of the store on Sunday with no cars in the parking lot. Sad.. I really liked that place. Anyone have any additional info they could share? I saw the one on 240 closed a while back...and I think there was still 1 open a while ago in Midwest City. Did that one close too?

Easy180
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking it is about time they do away with the concept...Closed restaurants all over the metro now

Not surprised at all as they normally had 10-15 cars compared to Alfredo's 40-50

Bimmerdude
07-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Poblano's food seemed pretty heavy on the stomach. That, and you seem to sweat big time for the next 8 hours digesting their food. I think Poblano's (I-35 Service Road) gave in to Alfredo's Mexican Grill just a couple blocks away. That place is always packed, and with good food and hot Latina women to boot.

SoonerDave
07-10-2012, 01:00 PM
My wife went to Poblano's a few times in conjunction with some coworkers' "nights out," and came away unimpressed just about every time. Said the emphasis was much heavier on the party/alcohol side than the Mexican food side, and that's just not my wife's thing. Food was only average at best, and was pricey, and believe me, it takes a lot to get a really negative recommendation back from my wife on a Mexican food place. It doesn't surprise me at all they've started closing en masse.

TaoMaas
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
We were at the Poblano's in MWC a couple of weeks ago, although I haven't been by that area since. Still seemed to be doing okay when we were there.

s00nr1
07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Nothing is going to beat Alfredo's on that side of I35....you could see this coming when they opened at that location.

Easy180
07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Had Alfredo's tonight...Food and service are the best in Moore

Hoping for a Johnny Carino's type of joint to go in there

Garin
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
It was Hiway food

macfoucin
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
On their website they list Midwest City and the one on May still being open. (http://www.poblanogrill.net/location.html)

SoonerDave
07-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Had Alfredo's tonight...Food and service are the best in Moore

Hoping for a Johnny Carino's type of joint to go in there

This +1,000,000. Alfredo's rocks. In the many, many times we've been there, I don't think we've had a disappointing meal even one time. That kind of consistency isn't easy to achieve, and it darned sure isn't achieved by accident. Super place.

Easy180
07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
This +1,000,000. Alfredo's rocks. In the many, many times we've been there, I don't think we've had a disappointing meal even one time. That kind of consistency isn't easy to achieve, and it darned sure isn't achieved by accident. Super place.

Managers are the best...Even have their to go staff take out and show all items in the to go sacks...Really sets them apart even more