View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

AP
12-15-2014, 12:39 PM
This specific site is going to have parking issues, unless they plan to construct underground parking. There isn't much land in the back unless they plan to demo some of the houses which will surely create a rift between the developer and the neighborhood association.

Same thing I said. But apparently it isn't an issue here.

zachj7
12-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Overrated because it's sooooooo good.

Jersey Boss
12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
I can't believe the level of butthurt on here about a damn Trader Joes.

Trust me, while it is a nice store it is not worth this level of consernation. In fact its quite overrated, especially considering OK locations can't even sell their brands of wine.

"Like".

Plutonic Panda
12-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Whatever. Just like Costco, Trader Joe's will open up in OKC and profits will be 10x what they are in Tulsa and they'll wish they opened here instead.

cagoklahoma
12-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I was driving north on May and as I was driving by Mayfair Village at 47th-50th I noticed the West side is almost completely empty. Which then made me think this could be a good location for TJ's. Just a thought. There wouldn't be any parking issues. :D I understand it wouldn't be as near to the income levels of NHP, but it reminds me of a TJ in Houston I've been to a few times. If not TJ's, I would like to see something cool bring life back to Mayfair Village (that means not a vape shop).

LandArchPoke
12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
I was driving north on May and as I was driving by Mayfair Village at 47th-50th I noticed the West side is almost completely empty. Which then made me think this could be a good location for TJ's. Just a thought. There wouldn't be any parking issues. :D I understand it wouldn't be as near to the income levels of NHP, but it reminds me of a TJ in Houston I've been to a few times. If not TJ's, I would like to see something cool bring life back to Mayfair Village (that means not a vape shop).

I think people confuse what these grocers look for in site selection. Trader Joe's looks for specific things like education levels and # of people a certain age. Hints why Brookside in Tulsa has Whole Foods, Sprouts, and now Trader Joe's. It has a lot of young professionals and has nearly 50,000 people with undergraduate degrees or more, and just happens to have high income levels too.

Whole Foods doesn't even evaluate income levels when looking for site selection. They typically look for neighborhoods that have over 35,000 people with undergraduate degrees or more. That's the main reason they built in the Classen Curve area as it does have a high congregation of education levels (about 30,000 in a 3 mile-radius) and has easy access to the site to draw from a wider radius too.

The problem right now for OKC is there isn't much movement for new projects in this area at the moment. I could actually see Trader Joe's possibly land at Chisholm Creek before anywhere else in OKC. Just my opinion though. And if OKC see's a second Whole Food's I'd bet it'll be in Norman over Edmond.

oklip955
12-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Well I guess that'll be another store to drive to Tulsa to shop at. Its now Pendleton, Costco, TJ, a garden center that carries Baker Creek garden seeds, and a good Catholic book store. My tax man is there also. I guess I'll just have to plan a monthly trip up the turnpike to shop. If this keeps up, I might just have to move up that way.

bchris02
12-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Well I guess that'll be another store to drive to Tulsa to shop at. Its now Pendleton, Costco, TJ, a garden center that carries Baker Creek garden seeds, and a good Catholic book store. My tax man is there also. I guess I'll just have to plan a monthly trip up the turnpike to shop. If this keeps up, I might just have to move up that way.

You make a valid point.

I am having to be extremely careful as to how I word this as to not come off as too negative or hyperbolic, but if OKC is the economic driver of the state right now why can't it attract mass appeal retailers like Costco, Trader Joe's, and other quality supermarkets? It's very possible Whole Foods still wouldn't be here had it not have been for Chesapeake subsidizing them. There is plenty to complain about when it comes to the retail situation in this city. A lot of people downplay having these retail options and you see the posts above that say things like "what's the big deal?" but if you have lived in a city that has these retailers it can be quite an adjustment to do without them. It really is a quality of life issue. I personally will not live in the urban core of OKC until there is a quality grocery store within a reasonable distance.

As for what the big deal is about Trader Joe's is that it doesn't really have a substitute. You can't find many of the products you get there at Wal-Mart. Those who haven't lived in an area that had Trader Joe's don't realize what all the fuss is about but after you start shopping there you become addicted.

Eddie1
12-15-2014, 08:52 PM
I didn't find your last couple of posts that negative or condescending; frankly, I think you made some valid points. This city is still far behind in many respects but it's getting better. And we will likely get speciality food stores such as TJs soon.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 01:11 AM
nm

Jeepnokc
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Western is probably the best analogy. If you were looking at adjacency to downtown Cherry Street would be the equivalent to Midtown (they are really nothing alike though).

The drive from downtown to this new location is about 5-8 minutes give or take on how many stoplights you hit. So this is the closest quality grocer outside of Reasors on Cherry Street to downtown Tulsa.

I think you are underestimating the density of retail in this neighborhood though. Between 33rd and 38th on Peoria there is about 450,000 square feet of retail. In comparison that is the same amount of retail as Western has between Classen Curve and just south of 23rd. Bricktown has about 750,000 square feet of retail minus the Bass Pro and Movie Theater (close to 900,000 with both). If you group in the 41st/Peoria intersection that brings the area total up to 700,000 square feet. Once you get past 41st Street that area does become more of a transitional neighborhood. Those "small and unspectacular" homes you are talking about still sell for over $300,000 if you are east of Peoria and most between Riverside and Peoria go from $150,000 or more.

This specific site is going to have parking issues, unless they plan to construct underground parking. There isn't much land in the back unless they plan to demo some of the houses which will surely create a rift between the developer and the neighborhood association.

Aerial of Site
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/LRabLO.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcLRabLOj)

Looking South
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/PjXaAV.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/paPjXaAVj)

Looking North
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/903/SytBxQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p3SytBxQj)

I was in Tulsa this weekend driving up Riverside. I didn't realize they were tearing out the two apt complexes in the 32-34th street area for the new park also. Peoria is just east of Riverside and this store is going to be in the 37th street area. This area is already sought out. We cut through the neighborhood and there were Jags and Lexus' sitting in the driveways of these homes. I think this area is going to get a lot more attractive than it is with the new park. My friend lives in a small gated neighborhood about 43rd street and the homes in his hood are 300-600 k

Urbanized
12-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I was just in Tulsa last week - as I am several times each year - and visited the Triumph (motorcycle) dealer on Peoria. I've frequented Brookside for a couple of decades, and have always liked it a lot. But to hold it up as an example of good dense development is a stretch, and really it's only a BIT better than its closest Oklahoma City analogue, Western Avenue. The quality part of Brookside is actually much shorter than the best portion of Western, in fact. If Western's amenities were more compact and not stretched 36th to Wilshire it would frankly be superior. They're both good places as far as strips are concerned, but let's not get carried away with the Brookside platitudes.

LandArchPoke
12-16-2014, 08:16 AM
The quality part of Brookside is actually much shorter than the best portion of Western, in fact. If Western's amenities were more compact and not stretched 36th to Wilshire it would frankly be superior. They're both good places as far as strips are concerned, but let's not get carried away with the Brookside platitudes.

Not sure I agree. So here are a few numbers.

The two comparison areas:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/674/KHWL8F.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/iqKHWL8Fj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/ZwFHPS.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0ZwFHPSj)

To me just looking at the aerials tells the story, but...

Brookside from the area measured in the picture:

All properties (office & retail) : 51 - 331,000 square feet
Only retail: 35 - 254,000 square feet

Western from the area measured in the picture:

All properties: 17 - 117,000 square feet
Only retail: 15 - 80,000 square feet

In fact.. Western from I-44 to 36th Street:

All properties: 69 - 403,000 square feet
Only retail: 44 - 238,000 square feet

Urbanized
12-16-2014, 09:48 AM
But that doesn't disagree with the point I made. Western has similar (and in some cases superior) amenities; it's just sprawled down a longer stretch, as you would expect to have happen in OKC. Western also has more stretches where there is no commercial but rather residential-only bordering the street. An apples-to-apples comparison isn't possible because of the differing dimensions of the respective strips. And while compact/dense is preferable, Brookside certainly isn't dense/walkable in an urbanist sense.

LandArchPoke
12-16-2014, 10:35 AM
But that doesn't disagree with the point I made. Western has similar (and in some cases superior) amenities; it's just sprawled down a longer stretch, as you would expect to have happen in OKC. Western also has more stretches where there is no commercial but rather residential-only bordering the street. An apples-to-apples comparison isn't possible because of the differing dimensions of the respective strips. And while compact/dense is preferable, Brookside certainly isn't dense/walkable in an urbanist sense.

It doesn't? comparing both area's two "best" areas of similar lengths shows that Brookside is almost 3x as dense as Western. So where is the superior amenities you speak of along Western? For basically 3 blocks in Brookside you have a solid street wall of development (outside of the one small parking entrance of Center One). There is nothing like that anywhere in the State in a non downtown neighborhood, which is why this area has attracted retailers like Urban Outfitters, Lulu lemon, and now Trader Joes.

betts
12-16-2014, 12:16 PM
We'll get one. I suspect Glimcher hiccups are primarily responsible. But without the ability to sell liquor, I don't really see that it will be that big an improvement from Whole Foods.

Pete
12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
We'll get one. I suspect Glimcher hiccups are primarily responsible. But without the ability to sell liquor, I don't really see that it will be that big an improvement from Whole Foods.

betts, have you ever spent much time in a TJ's?

IMO it's very, very different than Whole Foods. So much so, both are very close to me and I'm in Trader Joe's at least once a week and I never go in a huge, beautiful WF.

Completely different items for the most part; at least the things I care about. And I never buy my beer or wine there anyway, so that part isn't much of an inducement.

It's the one store I'd miss the most if I ever moved back to OKC, but I'm also very sure they will be there soon.

Jersey Boss
12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Pete, can you be a little more specific on what items that you care about are completely different from WF, or from any other grocer? I popped into one last summer in Manhattan and I failed to see what is so compelling. T/y.

Pete
12-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Pete, can you be a little more specific on what items that you care about are completely different from WF, or from any other grocer? I popped into one last summer in Manhattan and I failed to see what is so compelling. T/y.

I completely understand why people are underwhelmed when they first visit a Trader Joe's. I was the exact same way; took me a while to figure it out because it's very different than most anything else.

First of all, the huge percentage of what they sell is unique to TJ's. They have produce and dairy and staples, but those are just supplementary to everything else.

Secondly, their prices are very reasonable; in many cases even cheap. Way different than Whole Foods.

Third, they rotate things and are constantly getting new items. So, when you go in you'll see people going through the shelves very carefully checking everything out; very different than a regular grocery store where you go in knowing what you want.

Here is what I buy: Cheese (lots of gourmet types and CHEAP!); all types of different crackers and cookies; tons of frozen items (bagged brown rice, orange chicken, kung pao chicken, stir frys, gnocchi, fajita meat & peppers -- tons of other stuff); all kinds of sauces and condiments; chips (lots of unique types); salsas (about 15 different types, mostly unique); these fantastic chile tortillas (they are great plain); fresh bread of all types (brought in daily); any number of unique dips (they probably have 50 kinds); and tons more I can't think of right now. All of these things are under the TJ's label.

It's not usual for me to buy 5-10 items and only spend about $25.

The place is an acquired taste. But there is a reason that everyone of them is absolutely slammed with people.

Also, if you sign up for their newsletter you'll get a monthly update on all their new items and there are a bunch of websites that do nothing but talk about TJ's items and recipes you can make. I even took a "Cooking with Trader Joe's" class and the best thing was everybody shared their favorite items and how they serve them.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 01:39 PM
It doesn't? comparing both area's two "best" areas of similar lengths shows that Brookside is almost 3x as dense as Western. So where is the superior amenities you speak of along Western? For basically 3 blocks in Brookside you have a solid street wall of development (outside of the one small parking entrance of Center One). There is nothing like that anywhere in the State in a non downtown neighborhood, which is why this area has attracted retailers like Urban Outfitters, Lulu lemon, and now Trader Joes.
I'm going to compile a list of every single business on Western and the highlights of the street. Funny you compare Western to the Brookside area, which is one of Tulsa's only places it can hang onto to try and boost its "high-end" retail. Perhaps me coming from Dallas puts my standards a bit high, but Brookside sucks. I'll go ahead and start listing everything...

Here is Western AVE.'s website: Western Avenue Association (http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/)

I'll go ahead and leave out the first mixed-use development in Oklahoma, Chisholm Creek since that probably isn't very fair.

LandArchPoke
12-16-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm going to compile a list of every single business on Western and the highlights of the street. Funny you compare Western to the Brookside area, which is one of Tulsa's only places it can hang onto to try and boost its "high-end" retail. Perhaps me coming from Dallas puts my standards a bit high, but Brookside sucks. I'll go ahead and start listing everything...

Here is Western AVE.'s website: Western Avenue Association (http://www.visitwesternavenue.com/)

I'll go ahead and leave out the first mixed-use development in Oklahoma, Chisholm Creek since that probably isn't very fair.

Well Panda, if you actually read what I've said... you'll see in fact see I haven't left Chisholm Creek out. I even said I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get their act together before Glimcher and land a Trader Joe's there.

I'd love to see your list. Post it an a separate thread though. Brookside is the only place that boasts "high-end" retail huh? Guess Utica Square doesn't count right?

If your standards are that high after living in almighty Dallas... then you'd think everything in Oklahoma sucks including Western and Chisholm Creek. Addison Circle and Legacy Park are two examples that are considerably nicer and more urban than Chisholm Creek will be.

LandArchPoke
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM
I completely understand why people are underwhelmed when they first visit a Trader Joe's. I was the exact same way; took me a while to figure it out because it's very different than most anything else.

First of all, the huge percentage of what they sell is unique to TJ's. They have produce and dairy and staples, but those are just supplementary to everything else.

Secondly, their prices are very reasonable; in many cases even cheap. Way different than Whole Foods.

Third, they rotate things and are constantly getting new items. So, when you go in you'll see people going through the shelves very carefully checking everything out; very different than a regular grocery store where you go in knowing what you want.

Here is what I buy: Cheese (lots of gourmet types and CHEAP!); all types of different crackers and cookies; tons of frozen items (bagged brown rice, orange chicken, kung pao chicken, stir frys, gnocchi, fajita meat & peppers -- tons of other stuff); all kinds of sauces and condiments; chips (lots of unique types); salsas (about 15 different types, mostly unique); these fantastic chile tortillas (they are great plain); fresh bread of all types (brought in daily); any number of unique dips (they probably have 50 kinds); and tons more I can't think of right now. All of these things are under the TJ's label.

It's not usual for me to buy 5-10 items and only spend about $25.

The place is an acquired taste. But there is a reason that everyone of them is absolutely slammed with people.

Also, if you sign up for their newsletter you'll get a monthly update on all their new items and there are a bunch of websites that do nothing but talk about TJ's items and recipes you can make. I even took a "Cooking with Trader Joe's" class and the best thing was everybody shared their favorite items and how they serve them.

I've always liked how many prepared foods they have that make "cooking" dinner very easy. I think that's been a huge reason why they are very popular in urban settings and among young professionals.

Pete
12-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Yes, they have tons of prepared foods of all types: salads, sushi, sandwiches, etc. And all of them pretty interesting.

Just mentioned this to someone else but this little story sums up my love affair with Trader Joe's...

Every year in the fall they bring out their own spiced apple cider. It's only like $3 per gallon and I usually buy about 10 because it often sells out and I go through it during the holidays like crazy.

In fact, I have an urn reserved especially for the cider that I pull out every year. I pour a couple of gallons in, put some cinnamon sticks in the basket, then turn it on and let it percolate. It feels the whole house with an incredible smell.

Then, I serve it in huge mugs with a splash of butterscotch snaaps and spiced run. Absolute home run... People rave about it.

In fact! Just Sunday I ran into a woman I had not seen in a few years and of the small number of things we chatted about she, said, "I thought of you this Thanksgiving because you once had me over and served the most amazing hot cider."

And that's Trader Joe's. Usually, you hear about the most amazing things from friends. Cookie butter, for example. It's like Nutella spread but tastes like cookie dough.

And fresh, ready-made pizza dough you can take home, roll out, cover with toppings and have an amazing hot pizza super cheap.

I could go on and on! I'm evangelical when in comes to TJ"s. I feel more strongly about the place than any other retailer, and I don't think it's close.

TheTravellers
12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I'll second your thoughts, Pete. We really, really miss having one around (went to one for years when we lived in IL). To those that go in once, wander around, and then say "I don't get it", you won't, not in one trip. You need to go in, look at the things on the shelves, take more than a quick spin around the store, and go back once more after that trip (that you hopefully bought something on, and enjoyed it). It took us about 3 trips, and we got it. Went there every other week after that, had kind of a list put together, but always, always ended up buying about 5-6 extra things. Employees (or whatever they call them) know everything about everything in the store, every single time we checked out, the cashier would talk about 3-4 of the items we had and how good they were or recommending something similar, etc.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 03:04 PM
deleted.

Pete
12-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Okay, let's not go down this Tulsa v. OKC thing yet again.

Let's get back to talking about Trader Joe's.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Okay, let's not go down this Tulsa v. OKC thing yet again.

Let's get back to talking about Trader Joe's.

sorry. I'm moving my post to Tulsa vs. OKC thread.

Swake
12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes, they have tons of prepared foods of all types: salads, sushi, sandwiches, etc. And all of them pretty interesting.

Just mentioned this to someone else but this little story sums up my love affair with Trader Joe's...

Every year in the fall they bring out their own spiced apple cider. It's only like $3 per gallon and I usually buy about 10 because it often sells out and I go through it during the holidays like crazy.

In fact, I have an urn reserved especially for the cider that I pull out every year. I pour a couple of gallons in, put some cinnamon sticks in the basket, then turn it on and let it percolate. It feels the whole house with an incredible smell.

Then, I serve it in huge mugs with a splash of butterscotch snaaps and spiced run. Absolute home run... People rave about it.

In fact! Just Sunday I ran into a woman I had not seen in a few years and of the small number of things we chatted about she, said, "I thought of you this Thanksgiving because you once had me over and served the most amazing hot cider."

And that's Trader Joe's. Usually, you hear about the most amazing things from friends. Cookie butter, for example. It's like Nutella spread but tastes like cookie dough.

And fresh, ready-made pizza dough you can take home, roll out, cover with toppings and have an amazing hot pizza super cheap.

I could go on and on! I'm evangelical when in comes to TJ"s. I feel more strongly about the place than any other retailer, and I don't think it's close.

We will have to see. I certainly could be wrong, but I think this store in this location is going to have a tough go. Whole Foods is just four blocks away. Reasors is also opening a new upscale concept four blocks away. Within a couple of miles there's another standard Reasors, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, Sprouts, Natural Grocers, Akins and Petty's Find Foods.

Pete
12-16-2014, 03:45 PM
TJ's often goes right next to Whole Foods and other grocers.

I don't think they worry too much about the competition.

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 03:47 PM
We will have to see. I certainly could be wrong, but I think this store in this location is going to have a tough go. Whole Foods is just four blocks away. Reasors is also opening a new upscale concept four blocks away. Within a couple of miles there's another standard Reasors, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, Sprouts, Natural Grocers, Akins and Petty's Find Foods.
Could be wrong, but I think TJ has its own following. It doesn't have to worry about competitors. Like Ikea and Costco.

betts
12-16-2014, 06:02 PM
betts, have you ever spent much time in a TJ's?

IMO it's very, very different than Whole Foods. So much so, both are very close to me and I'm in Trader Joe's at least once a week and I never go in a huge, beautiful WF.

Completely different items for the most part; at least the things I care about. And I never buy my beer or wine there anyway, so that part isn't much of an inducement.

It's the one store I'd miss the most if I ever moved back to OKC, but I'm also very sure they will be there soon.

My daughter lives within walking distance of a TJs in Chicago and we shop there whenever I visit, which is often. But I hate grocery shopping, so perhaps I don't notice differences. I actually really love our Whole Foods here - the first store in which I don't dread shopping, so perhaps my attitude is due to inattention and a bit of Whole Foods prejudice.

Swake
12-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Maybe my issue is I just dislike Aldi so much and the concept is so similar and the chains are owned by the same family.

AP
12-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Maybe my issue is I just dislike Aldi so much and the concept is so similar and the chains are owned by the same family.

Trader Joe's is similar to Aldis??

oklip955
12-17-2014, 08:12 AM
A person can dislike Aldi's or TJ or homeland or Walmart or .......... I just want to have choices for grocery shopping. Not limited options. I tend to shop different store to get the products I like. More stores more choices. If a person wants to one stop shop, that's fine, just as lone as they have that choice available to them. Lots of seniors or large families on limited budgets like Aldi's for its low prices, granted some of their stuff is low quality but for some its that or nothing. Or the local food pantries due to small retirement checks. I know several women whos husbands died young (late 50's early 60's) they were house wives and never worked. there options for work are limited. They make do. Aldi's lets them put food on the table.

LandArchPoke
12-17-2014, 08:58 AM

My advice is like a few others on here. Try it a few times and you'll get it. The first time I shopped at one I didn't buy a single thing and was rather disappointed. I went back a few more times and finally got what everyone loves about it.

Swake
12-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Trader Joe's is similar to Aldis??

Sure they are, both stores focus almost entirely on store brands and even share brands, vendors and suppliers.

But there’s more than that. They are both subsidiaries of related German based global grocery store companies. Trader Joes is part of Aldi Norde and the US Aldi stores are part of Aldi Sud. Aldi Sud and Aldi Norde were both part of the Aldi Group until the 1960s when Sud and Nord were split by the two brothers that founded the chain, the late Karl and Theo Albrecht. Today the stores are owned by Albrecht family trusts and the family is among the wealthiest in the world.

The chains are not only similar, they are very related.

zachj7
12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree with Swake, the chains are related but not similar. Trader Joes is quality at a good price and is unique. It's a special store and I am not sure if there is a store you can compare it to. I am excited that Trader Joes (and Costco) will FINALLY be in Oklahoma...

AP
12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Sure they are, both stores focus almost entirely on store brands and even share brands, vendors and suppliers.

But there’s more than that. They are both subsidiaries of related German based global grocery store companies. Trader Joes is part of Aldi Norde and the US Aldi stores are part of Aldi Sud. Aldi Sud and Aldi Norde were both part of the Aldi Group until the 1960s when Sud and Nord were split by the two brothers that founded the chain, the late Karl and Theo Albrecht. Today the stores are owned by Albrecht family trusts and the family is among the wealthiest in the world.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I really didn't know that. I've never been to a TJ. Only Aldi.

soonermike81
12-17-2014, 02:51 PM

I'm almost 100% certain that TJ and Aldi USA do not share any brands.

Swake
12-17-2014, 03:21 PM
I agree with Swake, the chains are related but not similar. Trader Joes is quality at a good price and is unique. It's a special store and I am not sure if there is a store you can compare it to. I am excited that Trader Joes (and Costco) will FINALLY be in Oklahoma...

I will certainly give them a chance.

Now Costco I am very excited about. I can be done with doing business with Wal-Mart (I go to Sam's only and only for specific items), and hopefully Target.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 03:41 PM

Just FYI, up until about a few years ago, TJ's did not use almost entirely store-branded merchandise, they carried national brands (Stacy's Pita Chips, for example). Now a lot of those store brands are manufactured by the original folks, but re-branded - TJ's Pita Chips are Stacy's, exactly. Some sites do comparisons of TJ's store brands with national ones and some are exactly alike, some seem to be "irregulars" of national brands, and a few aren't alike at all.

DoctorTaco
12-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Long a fan of Trader Joe's, I stepped foot for the first time into an Aldi the other day. My knowledge of the similarities between the two stores built up certain expectiations for Aldi. Aldi failed so hard to live up to these expectations that the experience was horrible. Traumatic even. Dear God Aldi was a depressing wasteland compared to a TJ.

The best I could describe it is that Aldi is like someone decided to build a Trader Joe's inside a prison.

bluedogok
12-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Aldi was never, ever intended to be a TJ-Lite.

oklip955
12-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Look, as I've said in other posts, neither store will be perfect for everybody's tastes. (I think you can safely say that about any store) Aldi's is great for those who are having to watch their budgets. Their lower prices help out a lot of older folks with smaller pensions make ends meet. Also a lot of large families shop there. I'm retired and shop there for certain items that I like. They have an Italian bread that is sold in Chicago and not available here. They also will have some basic produce items that I'll buy when on sale. (fingerling potatoes at $1.29 a bag compared to $1.99) As far as TJ's, I'll stop and pick up a few things to take home with me if I'm in KC. As I've said, more choices makes for happier shoppers. Sure we need high end stores that have 100+ varies of imported cheese and prime beef. At the same time there a folks that want 100% organic. I'm for more choices.

Pete
02-06-2015, 07:52 AM
OKCTalk - Trader Joe's and REI coming to OKC (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=107-Trader-Joe-s-and-REI-coming-to-OKC)

Chadanth
02-06-2015, 08:02 AM
OKCTalk - Trader Joe's and REI coming to OKC (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=107-Trader-Joe-s-and-REI-coming-to-OKC)

But no 2 buck chuck.....

Martin
02-06-2015, 08:02 AM
great news on two counts... glad to get that name in okc and glad the crescent market space is being filled. -M

LocoAko
02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Hooray!!

bchris02
02-06-2015, 08:13 AM
I have always thought that Crescent Market space was prefect for a Trader Joe's. Glad to see it finally happening. Great news for OKC.

I have heard Costco in Tulsa has found a local partner to sell liquor. Any chance of Trader Joe's doing the same thing in OKC?

zachj7
02-06-2015, 08:33 AM
FINALLY! This is wonderful news.

Thanks for keeping us updated Pete.

Zuplar
02-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm so excited REI is coming. Wish Trader's was closer, but my wife may still go after work on her way home.

Pete
02-06-2015, 08:38 AM
REI is pretty darn great.

Nicer and more up-scale than Cabela's and they have almost a cult-ish following.

I really like their classes; I've taken a few and they are not only great, it's a good way to meet interesting, active people.

They tend to create a community around their stores that is pretty unique.

Zuplar
02-06-2015, 08:40 AM
REI is pretty darn great.

Nicer and more up-scale than Cabela's and they have almost a cult-ish following.

I really like their classes; I've taken a few and they are not only great, it's a good way to meet interesting, active people.

They tend to create a community around their stores that is pretty unique.

100% agree. A lot of people say oh it's just like Academy, and I'm always like sort of, but at the same time not really. Plus you can join their club and get money back and like you said, the overall atmosphere is just a lot different. Every time I'm out of town and see one, I go. I will drive to go to this you can count on it.

bchris02
02-06-2015, 08:45 AM
100% agree. A lot of people say oh it's just like Academy, and I'm always like sort of, but at the same time not really. Plus you can join their club and get money back and like you said, the overall atmosphere is just a lot different. Every time I'm out of town and see one, I go. I will drive to go to this you can count on it.

Completely agree. Academy is the Wal-Mart of sporting goods, Cabela's is Target, and REI is a step above that. It's also more than a sporting goods store with the classes they offer. This is bringing something great and completely new to OKC.

Pete
02-06-2015, 08:46 AM
REI is much more focused on camping, hiking, mountain biking and travel as opposed to hunting and fishing.

Very different than anything else in OKC.

krisb
02-06-2015, 08:53 AM
REI is to Range Rover as Academy is to Ford Explorer.

CuatrodeMayo
02-06-2015, 09:36 AM
REI is on a completely different level than Cabelas, Bass Pro, & Academy.

For example: You can buy crampons and ice axes at REI, not at Bass Pro.

gopokes88
02-06-2015, 09:39 AM
But no 2 buck chuck.....

I bet you're a blast at dinner parties.

I can't tell you how awful that $3 wine is. We aren't missing out on anything.

Pete
02-06-2015, 09:41 AM
^

They carry tons of other great wines and beers as well.

The cheap stuff is great for cooking.

gopokes88
02-06-2015, 09:42 AM
REI is much more focused on camping, hiking, mountain biking and travel as opposed to hunting and fishing.

Very different than anything else in OKC.

This is more in line. Cabela's is a hunter's Range Rover. For the camper/hiker/paddler REI is their Range Rover. They are different, but similar. More like a Hobby Lobby and a Target.