View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Plutonic Panda
04-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I would assume that most Oklahoma legislators do not drink, so why expect them to take any interest in doing what it takes to get together and reform Oklahoma's drinking laws. It will take citizens doing something like circulating a petition to vote on reform. But probably too few citizens are interested in doing that.Maybe because they're elected to represent our beliefs and not theirs????

bchris02
04-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Well the beliefs of most Oklahomans, especially those over 30, are probably that alcohol consumption is sin so they will do all they can to support restrictive laws however restrictive they may be. Younger Christians are evolving on that issue but alcohol is still a big deal to a lot of fundamentalists.

Pete
04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Let's stay on subject, please.

Back to discussing Trader Joe's rather than liquor laws.

warreng88
04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
The sale of NHP happened months ago and we were told a deal with TJ's would be done shortly after the closing. What is the hold up? West Elm already moved in front of this and it wasn't really even on the radar before the closing.

Pete
04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
We only knew about West Elm because I saw the building permit.

Remember, NH Plaza is in the City of NH and they don't have an easy on-line system of tracking permits, so we won't necessarily know exactly when they are filed.

With these large national retailers they can only handle x number of store openings per region, so although this seems to be a done deal, it doesn't mean TJ's is ready to start building. Same with Ruth's Chris at Classen Curve.

warreng88
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
We only knew about West Elm because I saw the building permit.

Remember, NH Plaza is in the City of NH and they don't have an easy on-line system of tracking permits, so we won't necessarily know exactly when they are filed.

With these large national retailers they can only handle x number of store openings per region, so although this seems to be a done deal, it doesn't mean TJ's is ready to start building. Same with Ruth's Chris at Classen Curve.

Makes sense. I just know we have been discussing it on this forum for about six months now and it seemed like every couple of weeks we heard "A deal should be struck any day now" and then nothing until the next one. Not doubting Pete or the contacts or even saying this is not going to happen, just curious why we never heard anything official yet. Thanks Pete for all your hard work.

Pete
04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
I have no doubt TJ's has been in town and has picked NH Plaza as a site.

However, that doesn't mean they've agreed on terms or that the timing is quite right. On the other hand, if they have real estate people in the market actively seeking a site, that indicates this market is a priority.

I still expect we will hear something in the next month or two.

Pete
04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
One other thing to keep in mind regarding Classen Curve and NH Plaza...

Tom Blanton was the leasing agent for both and is now part of the new ownership group.

So, I'm sure the continuity of any negotiations has been maintained.

bluedogok
04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Well the beliefs of most Oklahomans, especially those over 30, are probably that alcohol consumption is sin so they will do all they can to support restrictive laws however restrictive they may be. Younger Christians are evolving on that issue but alcohol is still a big deal to a lot of fundamentalists.
That is a load of crap, most restaurants, bars, liquor stores and liquor distributorships in Oklahoma are owned by people well over 30 years old. They are also the majority who push legislators to maintain the status quo to keep national retailers like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, Kroger, etc. from selling alcohol in the state. If both Oklahoma and Colorado went to a (non 3.2) beer/wine in grocery stores and liquor licenses like Texas has it would better serve the public but not the entrenched interests.

WenDragon
05-12-2014, 08:56 AM
So, it's been about 2 months since the old Crescent Market was sold. I'm guessing no news on if TJ's is going into NH Plaza?

Pete
05-12-2014, 10:17 AM
So, it's been about 2 months since the old Crescent Market was sold. I'm guessing no news on if TJ's is going into NH Plaza?

No news yet but still think it's coming.

I believe the new owners are taking their time to figure out the best tenant mix for NH Plaza and the surrounding properties.

bchris02
05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Do you know if OKC is on the cusp of a deal yet or is this still a substantial rumor?

Trader Joe's coming to OKC has been rumored for so long its almost mythical.

Pete
05-12-2014, 11:40 AM
The idea it would be coming to NH Plaza is relatively new and I still believe it will happen, I think with the sale Glimcher is still working on it's big-picture plan.

I'm also sure they will fill up these properties pretty quickly.

NWOKCGuy
05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
It was rumored that WF was coming here for about 2 years before they finally announced.

Dubya61
05-28-2014, 03:20 PM
A primer for those of us not in the Joe Know.

What do you love about Trader Joe’s
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-best-most/what-do-you-love-about-trader-joe-s-190503518.html
#5: Two Buck Chuck (not necessarily coming to a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma)
#4: Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole
#3: Joe Joe’s Cookies
#2: Speculoos Cookie Butter
#1: Triple Ginger Snaps

Pete
05-28-2014, 03:22 PM
That cookie butter is pretty awesome.

So many great things there you can't find anywhere else, and pretty much all of it is delicious and reasonable.

It's really unlike any other grocery chain.

bchris02
05-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Is there any new news regarding Trader Joe's coming to OKC? Do you think we will hear something before the end of this year?

Pete
05-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I believe the Trader Joe's and Ruth's Chris news is pending Glimcher putting together a master plan for all the properties they just bought.

Spartan
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
A primer for those of us not in the Joe Know.

What do you love about Trader Joe’s
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-best-most/what-do-you-love-about-trader-joe-s-190503518.html
#5: Two Buck Chuck (not necessarily coming to a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma)
#4: Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole
#3: Joe Joe’s Cookies
#2: Speculoos Cookie Butter
#1: Triple Ginger Snaps

They have these amazing jelly preserves and a $4 pack of sliced goat cheese. Their gluten free chips are also great for $2. The whole product line is truly life changing.

ljbab728
05-28-2014, 10:06 PM
They have these amazing jelly preserves and a $4 pack of sliced goat cheese. Their gluten free chips are also great for $2. The whole product line is truly life changing.

LOL, sounds good but I don't think I would want to survive on that for a diet. I would probably shop there on occasion for specialty items but would never use Trader Joe's for my one stop shopping for groceries. That certainly does not mean that I don't want them here though. We need that for an option.

I have the same basic philosophy about Whole Foods.

mugofbeer
05-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I went to the Trader Joe's opened recently near my house in Denver and had a good look around to see what the brouhaha was all about. With the exception of a nice sale on bananas, I saw absolutely nothing in the store I wanted or even saw a reason to go back. I see nothing upscale or nicer about it. The traditional stores here are far better and nicer and the "organic" stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods have better produce and prices.

Just my personal review.

DoctorTaco
05-29-2014, 06:37 AM
They have these ridiculously decadent dark chocolate truffles from Belgium that are under $5 for a huge bag. Cheep enough to make you feel like you can eat the whole bag in one sitting....(Bad idea if you're wondering)

WenDragon
05-29-2014, 07:05 AM
The best of all possible worlds would be (in Oklahoma) for TJ to open up the store with a wine shop next door. I know they've done it in Colorado.

Pete
05-29-2014, 07:24 AM
I went to the Trader Joe's opened recently near my house in Denver and had a good look around to see what the brouhaha was all about. With the exception of a nice sale on bananas, I saw absolutely nothing in the store I wanted or even saw a reason to go back. I see nothing upscale or nicer about it. The traditional stores here are far better and nicer and the "organic" stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods have better produce and prices.

Just my personal review.

Felt exactly the same way the first few times I went into a TJ's.

It takes a while to figure it out because it's so different. But now, it's my favorite grocery store by far.

TheTravellers
05-29-2014, 11:07 AM
That cookie butter is pretty awesome.

So many great things there you can't find anywhere else, and pretty much all of it is delicious and reasonable.

It's really unlike any other grocery chain.

Yep, that's pretty much it. They used to stock other brands, but I'm pretty sure they're almost all store-branded items now (but things like the Pita Chips are just Stacy's with a new name). Their cheese selection is wonderful, their desserts are very good, their honey sesame almonds are *heaven*, but their pasta sauce just ain't worth it. Almost everything we bought there (went every coupla weeks while we were in IL), we liked, ended up with a full basket every time we went, no matter how small our list was. Another great thing that I'm not sure anybody mentioned (haven't gone through the whole thread) is that the employees have tasting sessions for everything in the store, they know everything about everything, really good customer service.

Pete
05-29-2014, 11:12 AM
^

Yes, great customer service -- almost over-the-top in some ways.

It really is so different it's hard to describe, but that's also what makes it so great. Completely different than any other stores.

bchris02
05-29-2014, 07:31 PM
^

It really is so different it's hard to describe, but that's also what makes it so great. Completely different than any other stores.

I agree. Many stores, even ones discussed here all the time that most would like to see in OKC, can be done without. This city doesn't have Costco, but I can grit my teeth and bite my tongue and go to Sam's Club. There isn't a Publix or Harris Teeter, but can get most of what I need at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and what I can't find there I can get at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's however has no replacement.

Pete
05-29-2014, 07:43 PM
If I lived in OKC, it would be the one store I would absolutely miss the most.

Hondo1
07-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Was at Trader Joe's in Plano, Texas yesterday and visited with the manager about an OKC store. No surprise he didn't reveal anything but did say Trader Joe's has officially begun operating its Texas distribution warehouse which should bode well for new stores opening in surrounding states. He said many, many Oklahomans patronize his store. Otherwise typical TJ visit: great selection, freshness, customer service and a chance to grab a case of Charles Shaw "two buck chuck" which at $2.99 will most likely become "three-buck chuck" before long.

bchris02
07-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Trader Joe's has been rumored to be coming to OKC for so long that I'll believe it when I see it. Steve Lackmeyer did an article back in early 2011 that named them as one of the retailers looking to land here that year. The same thing was said in 2012 and 2013. It's now 2014.

Plutonic Panda
07-01-2014, 08:55 AM
yeah what the hell is going on with this? Are still coming or what? Been the same thing for a few years now... -___-

Bullbear
07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Trader Joe's has been rumored to be coming to OKC for so long that I'll believe it when I see it. Steve Lackmeyer did an article back in early 2011 that named them as one of the retailers looking to land here that year. The same thing was said in 2012 and 2013. It's now 2014.

Yup everytime I see this thread pop up again I hope in opening it that its Pete saying they are coming!..lol

Pete
07-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Glimcher is working on big plans for the whole NH Plaza / Class Curve area.

I suspect when there is an announcement, it will be for a bunch of new retailers, not just TJ's.

Plutonic Panda
07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Yup everytime I see this thread pop up again I hope in opening it that its Pete saying they are coming!..lolDuuuude I know man. That's what I thought for a second when I saw this thread alive again.... maybe Pete has some confirmation they are coming

FighttheGoodFight
07-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Duuuude I know man. That's what I thought for a second when I saw this thread alive again.... maybe Pete has some confirmation they are coming

The Trader Joe teasing is becoming too much!

Plutonic Panda
07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
The Trader Joe teasing is becoming too much!haha... I've never been to one, but I want to. Hopefully they will open up in OKC before long

Richard at Remax
07-01-2014, 10:55 AM
There was a Trader Joes across the street from my hotel in Chicago and made a priority to check it out. It was nice and all, but like whole foods, I just don't see myself going in there but maybe a few times a year for some specialty stuff. Like cookie butter. Err Mer Gerd.

Plutonic Panda
07-01-2014, 11:23 AM
What is cookie butter? It sounds good

CuatrodeMayo
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
We went to TJ's for the first time this weekend. It will definitely be a regular grocery store for us. Quality food at very competitive prices.

This is best way I can describe to my Okie brethren: It's a slightly nicer version of Aldi (TJ's is owned by the Aldi group incidentally) with mainly organic products.

FighttheGoodFight
07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
What is cookie butter? It sounds good

Basically Biscoff Biscoff Spread - Alternative to Nut Butters and Chocolate Spreads | Biscoff (http://www.biscoff.com/indulge/biscoff-spread)

I have some cookie butter. My wife likes to have a spoonful on occasion.

TheTravellers
07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
We went to TJ's for the first time this weekend. It will definitely be a regular grocery store for us. Quality food at very competitive prices.

This is best way I can describe to my Okie brethren: It's a slightly nicer version of Aldi (TJ's is owned by the Aldi group incidentally) with mainly organic products.

Actually, I believe one brother owns Aldi stores, the other owns Trader Joe's stores (might be 2 branches of the same organization, not totally sure and haven't looked it up to find out definitively). And yeah, it turns into a habit - their baked goods/desserts, crackers/snacks, cheeses, nuts (sesame honey cashews - OMG), and frozen stuff is really good and they have a good selection. Pasta sauces and other things, they're not so good on, but we went every few weeks when we lived in IL and we stopped bothering with a list after the first few times, we'd just take the cart and fill it up, hardly ever disappointed... Never did make it to a TJ's when we lived in WA, they were too far away and we didn't have as much disposable income then...

Pete
07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
80% of the TJ's items are private branded.

Huge majority are items you simply can't find anywhere else.

TheTravellers
07-01-2014, 03:34 PM
80% of the TJ's items are private branded.

Huge majority are items you simply can't find anywhere else.

And just to add, for clarity, the private branded stuff at TJ's is pretty much the same stuff you find elsewhere, just with TJ's name on it. TJ's used to carry Stacy's Pita Chips, now they carry Trader Joe's Pita Chips, which are made by Stacy's and I believe even have the same bag design (or they used to), for example. There are a few articles on the net comparing TJ's-branded items with what the reporters believe is their major-label equivalent, pretty interesting, almost all hit the mark. So there should be no stigma associated with "private branded" at TJ's like there sometimes is. And yeah, there are huge amounts of things at TJ's that you just can't get elsewhere (and which are good, so you *will* keep going back to TJ's, and only TJ's, to get them, lol).

Pete
07-01-2014, 03:45 PM
^

Right but a very large percentage of their private branded items are not things you are going to find anywhere else, under any name.

TheTravellers
07-01-2014, 04:21 PM
^

Right but a very large percentage of their private branded items are not things you are going to find anywhere else, under any name.

Yep, which is why I want one here, now! :)

bluedogok
07-01-2014, 08:19 PM
The same thing went on here in Denver, rumors for years about them opening up here and they finally did late last year....and three years is not that long in development time, especially when moving into a completely new region. There are development projects that I worked on in 2006 that are just now getting under way in Austin and some still in the works.

zachj7
07-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah but that's Denver. Of course Denver should have a TJ's. OKC? Well, not in the same league as are bed. I really do hope they come soon. Who knows how long we will be waiting.

progressiveboy
07-05-2014, 11:29 AM
I love the general quirkiness of TJ's. I shop from time to time at the store on Preston and Park in Plano. Their wine is actually pretty darn good. Used to be "two buck chuck", however it now is $2.99 bottle which is still a great buy. Their private brands are great and I always have a great experience. I hope OKC is able to get a TJ's as it is a fun shopping experience and hope that OKC will "fully" embrace the concept!

WenDragon
08-14-2014, 10:04 AM
<sigh> I feel like I'm 16 years old again, waiting for a call on a Friday night.:poke:

bchris02
08-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Pete, do you know if Trader Joe's is any closer to a deal? It has been probably a year and a half or so since it was revealed that they almost had a deal an NHP. If so, could an announcement be any time soon?

Pete
08-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I really have no idea.

It seems obvious Glimcher is working on their much broader master plan for all those properties before they sign any tenants for NH Plaza.

I have the feeling TJ's may end up in new construction south of 63rd, otherwise why haven't they slotted them into the the old Crescent Market which is pretty perfect for them?

WenDragon
10-01-2014, 05:03 AM
So, I'm making an assumption that we won't hear anything about Glimcher's plans until after the beginning of 2015?

bchris02
10-01-2014, 06:29 AM
First, I hope a deal is still in the works. Second, I hope they announce it soon. Trader Joe's is one of the retailers I miss the most since moving to OKC. It would be great to have them here.

OkieNate
10-01-2014, 11:23 AM
First, I hope a deal is still in the works. Second, I hope they announce it soon. Trader Joe's is one of the retailers I miss the most since moving to OKC. It would be great to have them here.

I went to Trader Joes while in Houston and I have to say it is the most over rated grocery store I have ever been in. Id take more Sprouts locations over any Trader Joes.

Pete
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I went to Trader Joes while in Houston and I have to say it is the most over rated grocery store I have ever been in. Id take more Sprouts locations over any Trader Joes.

I've said it many times, but that was my first (and 2nd, 3rd and 4th) impression as well.

It grows on you and takes a while to figure out and find all the unique things that you particularly like.

If I were to ever move back to OKC it's the one place I would miss the most and there isn't anything else close.

dcsooner
10-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Agree!

Mr. Cotter
10-01-2014, 04:01 PM
I have a cabinet in my dining room stuffed full of TJs semi-nonperishables. Re-fried black beans (with 1/2 a gram of fat per serving!), gnocchi, pumpkin pancake mix, apple butter, maple cookies, etc., etc.

I don't think it's overrated, but you do have to "learn" to shop there, and I couldn't make it a primary grocery store. It's a nice supplement to wherever it is you're shopping now.

adaniel
10-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Won't call it overrated, but I'll admit after two visits I don't "get it." I mean, its alright, but IMO its not a 1-for-1 substitute for Whole Foods, Uptown Grocery, Central Mkt, or any other high end grocer. I don't eat a lot of processed foods, but for someone who does Trader Joes would be great. It's a good store for pantry items like pasta, spices, baking mixes etc. Some of their prepared food OTOH is pretty terrible. I had a flatbread pizza from their Plano location and it literally had zero flavor. While I personally didn't notice, I've also had many people say their produce is quite subpar.

All in all, nice store and will be good for OKC when it comes, but not something I would hold my breath for.

Rover
10-01-2014, 04:49 PM
I've said it many times, but that was my first (and 2nd, 3rd and 4th) impression as well.

It grows on you and takes a while to figure out and find all the unique things that you particularly like.

If I were to ever move back to OKC it's the one place I would miss the most and there isn't anything else close.

Totally agree. But, those that don't get it, just don't.

oklip955
10-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Everyone has there favorite stores. That's fine. Choices, the more the better I say. I tend to pick up certain items at different stores. My main grocery store is Spouts, but I shop Aldi's, and a number of stores for certain items. Love WF deserts. TJ has certain items I would buy there. When I'm in the area of a TJ I stop in a pickup a few items. I think most of us would do the same. Have your main store and stop in for a few items at the others.