View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Pete
07-08-2016, 03:21 AM
This is from last night... They are moving very fast.; note all the refrigeration and freezer cases already in place.

Someone said a later September opening and they should be able to accomplish that with no problem.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj070716.jpg

AP
07-08-2016, 07:05 AM
This looks like it will be bigger than Tulsa's location. Is that true?

lasomeday
07-08-2016, 07:15 AM
I was in Tulsa few weeks ago and they told me they were opening September 23.

Brett
07-11-2016, 05:00 PM
I would like to know if anyone in the OKC area is currently receiving the "Fearless Flyer" from Trader Joe's? I signed up way before the Tulsa store opened and have never received a copy. I just signed up again.

I finally received an email newsletter from TJs. It wasn't the "Fearless Flyer" but I'm not too picky.

Pete
08-01-2016, 04:16 PM
They look like they could open before Sept. 23rd, as we had previously heard.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj080116.jpg

Mastermind
08-01-2016, 09:26 PM
^ I wish their website would announce the actual date because whenever I check your posts, it makes me so excited, but then since it's not 10000000% official, I then get panicky hahaha

Bullbear
08-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Signs up

Pete
08-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks!

I'm starting to think they may open well in advance of Sept. 23rd.

Looks like they are almost done inside and stocking doesn't take super long.

Brett
08-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks!

I'm starting to think they may open well in advance of Sept. 23rd.

Looks like they are almost done inside and stocking doesn't take super long.

If you look at the OU Sooner football schedule, Sept. 24th is a bye week. I think that TJ's will keep to the Sept. 23rd opening date.

ljbab728
08-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Although it is very unlikely, maybe we should be recruiting Wegmans next.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wegmans-beat-trader-joes-no-1-grocer-2016-4

LocoAko
08-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Although it is very unlikely, maybe we should be recruiting Wegmans next.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wegmans-beat-trader-joes-no-1-grocer-2016-4

Wegman's is amazing. I'd love it if we could get one here.

Lafferty Daniel
08-07-2016, 03:09 PM
If you look at the OU Sooner football schedule, Sept. 24th is a bye week. I think that TJ's will keep to the Sept. 23rd opening date.

lol

Pete
08-14-2016, 07:12 AM
According to Channel 4, they will start taking job applications on Tuesday Aug. 16.

Soonerinfiniti
08-14-2016, 07:37 AM
It's official - September 23rd! See you there!!

http://traderjoes.com/announcement/oklahoma-city-nichols-hills-ok-coming-2016

seaofchange
08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
It's official - September 23rd! See you there!!

http://traderjoes.com/announcement/oklahoma-city-nichols-hills-ok-coming-2016

Woo! I wonder what the discount is like. That might be a fun job for 1 day a week for the discount, haha.

oklip955
08-16-2016, 09:22 PM
It's 10% for employees. Not sure if its worth the one day of employment. I guess it depends how much you spend in there.

Brett
08-20-2016, 12:01 PM
I just received the published paper copy of the Fearless Flyer in the mail. Eight pages filled front to back with delicious Trader Joe's food related literature.

Pete
08-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Carts have arrived and they are just about finished with the interior.

Sept. 23rd is still the official opening date but I wouldn't be surpised if they open earlier.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj083016a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj083016b.jpg

Pete
09-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Pretty well stocked now, apart from the perishables.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj091116.jpg

Brett
09-12-2016, 03:48 AM
I would love to see those bottled 6-packs full of beer. :Smiley051

Pete
09-12-2016, 06:12 AM
You can't see in this photo, but on the far left is the area where they usually have beer and wine and right now it looks like it's just bottled water and soda.

Once/if the law gets changed, should be easy for them to convert that area for alcohol.

This will be a pretty good-sized store for them; bigger than the newish one that was near me in California which had a big section for beer and wine.

shawnw
09-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Trader Joe's had an info booth at Mesta Festa this past weekend.

progressiveboy
09-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Hopefully, the liquor laws will change for Oklahoma. TJ's wine is not bad at all! People will just need to get out and vote Yes for modern liquor laws.

Brett
09-14-2016, 02:40 AM
The countdown until grand opening has finally dwindled from double digit numbers to single digit. Does anyone have plans on camping out for opening day?

Bellaboo
09-14-2016, 07:03 AM
The countdown until grand opening has finally dwindled from double digit numbers to single digit. Does anyone have plans on camping out for opening day?

Why ?

barrettd
09-14-2016, 07:19 AM
Why ?

Cookie butter?

AP
09-14-2016, 07:34 AM
They were sold out in Tulsa for a while. I went a couple months after opening and they still didn't have any cookie butter in stock.

Pete
09-14-2016, 07:39 AM
The key is to get there early in the morning as they re-stock overnight.

Or, sometimes they start re-stocking late in the evening before they close.

At first, they will just sell out of the most popular stuff and not have more on hand. But after a couple of weeks, they almost always have things, you just have to wait for them to re-stock or find someone to ask.

Also at the beginning, people will hoard things which will make it hard to find stuff on the shelves.

Here is a tip: Try some of the things that are available. Even if you don't like it (unlikely) you can return it for full credit.

One of the funnest parts of TJ's is always trying the new things. They do a great job of selecting good stuff; more or less pre-screening things they think their shoppers will like.

OTOH, they often discontinue things and you absolutely won't be able to find them elsewhere. I'm still craving this Cuban simmer sauce and have not been able to recreate it!

jerrywall
09-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Hopefully, the liquor laws will change for Oklahoma. TJ's wine is not bad at all! People will just need to get out and vote Yes for modern liquor laws.

Not sure TJ will bring their house wines in, because it'd be available for sale at every outlet, including Wal-Marts.

Roger S
09-14-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm hoping they carry a brand of charcoal I use to use until Kingsford put the squeeze on them and pretty much forced Lowe's and Home Depot to stop carrying it. It's made by the Original Charcoal Company and it puts off about 1/3 of the ash that Kingsford and other briquettes do because they don't use a lot of binders in it. The stuff is incredible for use in charoal fueled smokers like mine but the last time I saw it was about 7 years ago in the TJ's in Irvine, CA. I had been told that TJ's was going to be one of the few places still selling it at the time but I don't know if they still are.

I can order it by the palette but I really don't have room for a palette of charcoal in my garage.

Pete
09-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Not sure TJ will bring their house wines in, because it'd be available for sale at every outlet, including Wal-Marts.

Which is no different than most other markets, so I'm not sure why that would matter.

Also, where it's legal, besides wine TJ's carries alcohol (vodka, etc.) and lots of craft beers.

pure
09-14-2016, 08:15 AM
Cookie butter?

So, I bought this for the first time from TJ's a few months back in Dallas. When I tried it, it tasted no different than the Biscoff brand that I could get at Wal-Mart.

I didn't try it side by side but I really couldn't tell a difference from memory.

Bellaboo
09-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Cookie butter?

That's a good reason I guess. lol

jerrywall
09-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Which is no different than most other markets, so I'm not sure why that would matter.

Also, where it's legal, besides wine TJ's carries alcohol (vodka, etc.) and lots of craft beers.

I didn't know if it was different or not elsewhere. I knew about the other stuff. Just wasn't sure if they'd bring any of their house brands to Oklahoma because of the non-exclusivity requirements.

Pete
09-14-2016, 08:50 AM
I didn't know if it was different or not elsewhere. I knew about the other stuff. Just wasn't sure if they'd bring any of their house brands to Oklahoma because of the non-exclusivity requirements.

Ah, gotcha.

Sorry, didn't mean to be snippy.

warreng88
09-14-2016, 10:36 AM

I am going to the ribbon cutting, but not camping out for it.

Brett
09-20-2016, 01:05 AM
I drove by the store on Sunday and noticed that the old Varsity parking lot that is just south of TJ's on NW63rd was filled with cars. My guess is that the TJ employees are parking there and hoofing it across the street to free up parking in NH Plaza. My only worry is if the NHPD will ticket customers for jaywalking once the new store opens.

trousers
09-20-2016, 06:02 AM

Their in house craft beer brand is actually brewed by some really good brewers. Got a 6 pack brewed by Ommeggang with the Trader Joe label for $7. Not too shabby.

Soonerinfiniti
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Drove by today and the parking lot already looked pretty full! Not sure if the new parking toward Grand Blvd. will be completed in time (due to the recent rain).

I stopped by the Fort Worth store after they opened and they had a security guard directing traffic. The Nichols Hills Plaza parking striping appears a little tight - I would park as far away as possible and walk. The Bishop McGuinness band is playing at the grand opening - should be a blast!

oklip955
09-21-2016, 08:01 PM
What time is the "Grand Opening" on Friday?

Pete
09-21-2016, 08:18 PM
What time is the "Grand Opening" on Friday?

Their regular hours are 8A to 9P.

I suspect they'll open at the regular time on Friday.

warreng88
09-21-2016, 10:05 PM
The ribbon cutting is at 7:45.

OKCretro
09-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Anyone else get the postcard in the mail from TJ's? I think it says if you bring it in you get a free prize or something

Pete
09-22-2016, 10:10 AM
At the Tulsa store, they gave out really nice cloth TJ shopping bags.

They were still giving them away when I visited 2 weeks after the opening.

barrettd
09-22-2016, 11:12 AM
At the Tulsa store, they gave out really nice cloth TJ shopping bags.

They were still giving them away when I visited 2 weeks after the opening.

The back of the postcard indicates the same giveaway.

oklip955
09-22-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm planning on going to the ribbon cutting grand opening. Anyone know if they give the first some many shoppers anything? I was in line at the Uptown in Edmond only to find out that certain registered people got freebees. Now Spouts was real nice in giving out bags of groceries. Am I waisting my time coming real early??? Ya I'm the cheap skate, you know the retired type with time to do those things like a college teenage.

Pete
09-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Balloon arch in place, pumpkins out in front... They are ready to go for tomorrow morning.

Also, the small new lot just south of Provision Kitchen is now open.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092216.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092216b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092216c.jpg

Pete
09-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Ribbon (actually, Hawaiian lei) is cut this morning.

About 100 people in line; McGuiness band and cheerleaders on hand.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092316.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092316b.jpg

d-usa
09-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Busy this morning, as expected. But I'm pretty happy.

oklip955
09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
I arrived just after 6 am. I expected a lot more people in line already. I love all the different products that make TJ different from other stores. Anyway, I'm just happy to be able to shop without it being a road trip.

Pete
09-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Just got back.

Crazy as expected but better stocked than I would have thought.

Made me incredibly happy to be in there!

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj092316c.jpg

d-usa
09-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Just got done shopping.

My only complaint is the parking lot situation and the lack of options for returning your shopping cart. The only two corals I noticed were right by the door, and then one not far from there which is only really accessible from one side. If you end up parking far away you need to walk a little ways to return the cart. I had my 3 year old and had to park near Cool Greens, so we had a little walk to the store in order to return the cart. And the physical construction of the parking lot has a lot of physical barriers that force you to take a long way around.

This will probably improve when the crowds die down.

tfvc.org
09-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I shopped there today as well, I had time before work, I probably shouldn't have because I really hate crowds. I probably won't return for a few months but it gave me an idea of what is there. It was really busy and slow to get through the checkout line. Prices were mostly reasonable, especially on the frozen pizzas. I have an eye on some things I would like to try when I go back. I could have spent $100 if I wanted to but kept it to just under $40. I would probably rather go there than Whole Foods honestly. I can't wait to try the things I did buy. :) If you are curious I snapped it and will probably crosspost to instagram. @thefatveganchef.

Maybe they should take the European model with the shopping carts since they don't have many choices for cart corrals.

Brett
09-23-2016, 05:11 PM
First time ever to try mochi ice cream (technically it was non-dairy). Definitely a unique mouthfeel.

jerrywall
09-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Wife and I went up there a couple hours ago and grabbed a few things. Plenty of parking, was crowded but not too bad, and fairly quick checkout. Lots of employees walking around checking on us as we shopped. I've been to Trader Joe's but wife hasn't and she was super impressed especially with the prices. It's far enough away that it won't be our weekly shopping trip but there are a few items that we'll get from there from now on (like their olive oil).

jerrywall
09-23-2016, 08:07 PM
And Sriracha hummus!

tfvc.org
09-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Wife and I went up there a couple hours ago and grabbed a few things. Plenty of parking, was crowded but not too bad, and fairly quick checkout. Lots of employees walking around checking on us as we shopped. I've been to Trader Joe's but wife hasn't and she was super impressed especially with the prices. It's far enough away that it won't be our weekly shopping trip but there are a few items that we'll get from there from now on (like their olive oil).

Yes, their Spanish olive oils intrigued me! If I hadn't bought olive oil from Forward Foods just an hour before I would have picked that up. When I run out again in a month I am going to try it.

oklip955
09-24-2016, 06:46 AM
As far as a place to get olive oil, Sprouts has their own label EVOO with different labeled country of origin, Spain, Italy, Tunsia and Greece. They also have olive oil that contains a different varieties of olives. I bought a bottle of each country sourced oils. They are on sale I think until Wed for $4.99 a bottle. I will say that Tj has a lot of interesting items. I did buy some olives in a vacuum pack container. They also had frozen Cod pieces for $3.99 lb. I buy them to make fish tacos.

Pete
09-24-2016, 07:12 AM
If you are somewhat new to TJ's the whole genius of the place is all the various unique items.

They are constantly getting new things in (this is where their newsletter is really helpful) and it's fun to try everything.

I remember at first not getting the place at all and only really registering the standard items like staples and some of the frozen foods. But there are hundreds of little jars and packages of stuff... From Thai simmer sauce to soups to cookies, crackers and dips.

They are awesome about picking things that are very good. Very, very rarely do I try something and not love it. And you can always return anything at any time for a full refund even if you've eaten most of it.

The whole point is to try things and keep trying things. If you talk to 50 different people about their favorite items, you'll get 50 different answers.

stile99
09-24-2016, 08:11 AM
If you are somewhat new to TJ's the whole genius of the place is all the various unique items.

They are constantly getting new things in (this is where their newsletter is really helpful) and it's fun to try everything.

I remember at first not getting the place at all and only really registering the standard items like staples and some of the frozen foods. But there are hundreds of little jars and packages of stuff... From Thai simmer sauce to soups to cookies, crackers and dips.

They are awesome about picking things that are very good. Very, very rarely do I try something and not love it. And you can always return anything at any time for a full refund even if you've eaten most of it.

The whole point is to try things and keep trying things. If you talk to 50 different people about their favorite items, you'll get 50 different answers.

You just described Aldi, a store discussed on this forum in the past and the 'constantly new things' was deemed a negative by people claiming that they need consistency of product or they're not going to bother. Exact same return policy, too...in fact, they'll give you double your money back. Many people say the EXACT SAME THING about Aldi: "I didn't get it at first, but after I went a couple more times I loved it." You mention Thai sauce...the Thai sauce i picked up a couple weeks ago from Aldi is DELICIOUS.

Of course, this is because it is the same family, but one wonders why one store is crapped on and the other worshipped. In fact (get a tarp, because this is going to blow some minds), Trader Joe's parent company? Aldi Nord (North). Not even kidding.

Now, don't get me wrong, both stores obviously have a place, and I'm hoping Trader Joe's opens more locations in OKC soon. My point is when people say "I love Trader Joe's, but I hate Aldi" it sounds to me like they are saying "I love Walmart Neighborhood, but I hate Walmart Supercenter". Or "I hate Hardees, but love Carl's Jr." Or "I hate Tom Thumb, but I love Randall's." Because it's the same animal, just viewed from different angles.