View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

Eddie1
10-17-2015, 01:52 PM
I really enjoy TJ's 'Grand Slam' caramel popcorn, its pretty much the greatest thing I've ever eaten.

Spartan
10-18-2015, 10:56 AM
I recently blew $150 on TJ's stuff for my tOSU tailgate. Consider yourselves warned.

It really isn't amazingly pricey like Whole Foods, but they get you on impulse buys. Like pumpkin macarons.

Zuplar
10-18-2015, 01:45 PM
I imagine my wife will stop by there from time to time on he way off from the work but I doubt we ever drive across town to shop regularly. Still I think it's good to get diversity.

progressiveboy
10-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Good news for OKC! What I find unique is the quirkiness and selection of different foods that TJ's offer. If you are having a get together or party I would highly recommend stocking up on their different items. I like their selection of cheeses. They have a spread made with eggplant, red peppers, garlic that is rather addictive. Their gorgonzola crackers are addictive! TJ's prices are reasonable and the shopping experience is fun! Of course their cookie butter is quite tasty!!!

Pete
10-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you really have to go explore as they are constantly adding new and interesting things. Conversely, they will often discontinue something you've come to love.

The best thing is to sign up for their newsletter which is unique to your market (or at least market area). Also tons of website that track all the best stuff.

A few years ago, I took a Parks & Rec class on "Cooking with Trader Joe's" and it was great fun because one of the things they did was have everyone volunteer their favorite items and quick-cooking ideas.

For example, they make a great, fresh, refrigerated pizza crust. Grab it on the way home, put on your toppings and you'll have a great homemade pie.

Pete
10-18-2015, 02:11 PM
They get tons of seasonal things, too.

They just started stocking their Spiced Cider and it's the foundation for something that everyone just raves about...

I put it in an percolating urn, put some cinnamon sticks in the basket, and let it bubble and heat up which makes your house smell amazing.

Then I serve it huge mugs with spiced rum and/or butterscotch schnaaps and it's heaven in a cup.

WenDragon
10-19-2015, 06:37 AM
drooling now.

White Peacock
10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
They get tons of seasonal things, too.

They just started stocking their Spiced Cider and it's the foundation for something that everyone just raves about...

I put it in an percolating urn, put some cinnamon sticks in the basket, and let it bubble and heat up which makes your house smell amazing.

Then I serve it huge mugs with spiced rum and/or butterscotch schnaaps and it's heaven in a cup.

What time are we coming over?

WenDragon
12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Wondering how far along this has progressed. What would the next steps be? Have any permits been filed or is it WAY too early? Hoping this is my last holiday season without Trader Joe's.

Pete
12-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Wondering how far along this has progressed. What would the next steps be? Have any permits been filed or is it WAY too early? Hoping this is my last holiday season without Trader Joe's.

No building permits yet.

I've been keeping a close eye... Hopefully after the first of the year they file and get rolling.

Dustin
12-15-2015, 04:22 PM
I was wondering when someone would come up with this idea for a grocery store:

Trader Joe?s Ex-President Launches Grocery Store That Sells Healthy Food at Fast-Food Prices (http://nextshark.com/daily-table/)

Dubya61
12-16-2015, 12:12 PM
I was wondering when someone would come up with this idea for a grocery store:

Trader Joe?s Ex-President Launches Grocery Store That Sells Healthy Food at Fast-Food Prices (http://nextshark.com/daily-table/)

That's a cool concept. The article discussed wasted food at grocery stores. It reminded me of a Food Network (mabye -- I've got the brain of an old man, by now) 1-hour documentary where they said that people expect perfection in their produce, now days and it leads to a lot of waste. My response (to the un-listening TV) was that I sure do expect perfection in produce when you're paying about 1.79 per pound for apples.

foodiefan
12-16-2015, 04:57 PM
. . . I sure do expect perfection in produce when you're paying about 1.79 per pound for apples.

but I'd most certainly spring for some "ugly" if it were priced right!!

CaptDave
12-16-2015, 07:38 PM
I wonder if the recently closed Homeland at Second and Santa Fe in Edmond meets the criteria for a Trader Joe's? Seems like it might be a relatively easy lift to convert it to TJ's and it is in a fairly dense area.

soonermike81
12-16-2015, 11:49 PM
I wonder if the recently closed Homeland at Second and Santa Fe in Edmond meets the criteria for a Trader Joe's? Seems like it might be a relatively easy lift to convert it to TJ's and it is in a fairly dense area.

Not sure the size of that Homeland, but all the Homelands I've ever been in are significantly larger than what Trader Joe's would be looking for.

Brett
12-28-2015, 03:33 AM
There is finally a confirmed opening date for the Tulsa Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's set to open first Oklahoma store in Tulsa | News OK (http://newsok.com/trader-joes-set-to-open-first-oklahoma-store-in-tulsa/article/5469160)

djohn
01-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Just curious is the OKC store still happening? Any info on when it will be opening?

WenDragon
01-21-2016, 11:42 AM
What are the chances Trader Joe's will open by the end of 2016? Anyone know how long it typically is from signing a lease to opening a store?

Swake
01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
There is finally a confirmed opening date for the Tulsa Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's set to open first Oklahoma store in Tulsa | News OK (http://newsok.com/trader-joes-set-to-open-first-oklahoma-store-in-tulsa/article/5469160)

The Oklahoman couldn't be bothered to use an actual photo of the Tulsa location?

Here's what the store actually looks like. I have no idea what is taken them so long to open, it's looks just like this for several months.
http://static-12.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c215edeb-88ec-46aa-b9e7-62668e764822-large16x9_00cea0fe50ff45868a8af28002533423traderjo es.jpg?1451340827242

bchris02
01-21-2016, 12:25 PM
The Oklahoman couldn't be bothered to use an actual photo of the Tulsa location?

Here's what the store actually looks like. I have no idea what is taken them so long to open, it's looks just like this for several months.
http://static-12.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c215edeb-88ec-46aa-b9e7-62668e764822-large16x9_00cea0fe50ff45868a8af28002533423traderjo es.jpg?1451340827242

Would love to have something like that somewhere in downtown OKC.

FighttheGoodFight
01-21-2016, 12:52 PM

How dare you question the Oklahoman! We should have a bill passed to have every person forced to subscribe to the perfect paper! OH wait....

shawnw
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
The delay is because everyone is perplexed about what to do about parking.

Rover
01-21-2016, 02:48 PM

http://static-12.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/c215edeb-88ec-46aa-b9e7-62668e764822-large16x9_00cea0fe50ff45868a8af28002533423traderjo es.jpg?1451340827242 I believe the Tulsa World supplies them with Tulsa material, so go rip them.

baralheia
01-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Not sure if this has been stated yet, but TJ's in Tulsa is scheduled to open Feb 26, 2016 at 8am. Announcements | Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/announcement/tulsa-oklahoma-here-we-come)

Pete
01-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Not sure if this has been stated yet, but TJ's in Tulsa is scheduled to open Feb 26, 2016 at 8am. Announcements | Trader Joe's (http://www.traderjoes.com/announcement/tulsa-oklahoma-here-we-come)

I bet you won't be able to get near that place for months.

They are going to be overrun.

CP405
01-22-2016, 06:53 PM
I'll make the easiest prediction of the year: When they open their location here, it will be equally overrun. I may wait a few months to even visit. They will make tons of money and it will be a smash success. We could easily support a couple locations.

Pete
01-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Yeah, Whole Foods in OKC required traffic cops for months.

TJ's is going to be way worse.

Swake
01-22-2016, 07:56 PM

There's already a Whole Foods and Reasor's new upscale prototype store within three blocks of this store. I can't imagine anything like that.

tfvc.org
01-22-2016, 08:43 PM

Geez that gave me flashbacks when KK opened up in town. Caused major traffic issues for months.

Pete
01-26-2016, 06:12 PM
It's happening!

OKCTalk - First look at plans for Trader Joe's (http://www.okctalk.com/content/240-first-look-plans-trader-joe-s.html)

Tundra
01-26-2016, 07:41 PM
There isn't enough parking for that store, IMO they couldn't be putting it in a worse location....

Rover
01-26-2016, 07:45 PM
There isn't enough parking for that store, IMO they couldn't be putting it in a worse location....

There is lots of parking in the center. They will kill it.

Pete
01-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Yeah, there is lots of parking just across Avondale.

Almost all their locations are totally packed...

For the longest time, the one closest to me had cars backed out onto the street just waiting for a space to open.

gopokes88
01-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Wooooooo!!!!

Tundra
01-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Yeah, there is lots of parking just across Avondale.

Almost all their locations are totally packed...

For the longest time, the one closest to me had cars backed out onto the street just waiting for a space to open.

That North parking lot is already full everyday all day.... With Pops up and running the parking is going to be a nightmare... Whole foods has twice the parking and that lot is full all day everyday...oh well, it's just another grocery store why do I even care

Pete
01-26-2016, 08:41 PM
TJ's is by far my favorite retailer of any type and has a rabid following.

This will go a long, long way towards alleviating my desire for more quality grocery options. I have never been a Whole Foods fan at all.

Now, if we could just get a Sprouts near downtown...

Brett
01-27-2016, 04:41 AM
I am curious if the empty parking lot that is just south of NW 63rd will be available for parking? I sure hope so.

I pray that all of the other tenants in NH Plaza will be accepting of the flood of customers. I remember when the Sprouts opened in Edmond, the pharmacy that is next door posted multiple signs threatening to tow vehicles who parked in their lot who were not customers. Needless to say, that pharmacy next to the Edmond Sprouts will never get my business.

sooner88
01-27-2016, 07:29 AM
I am curious if the empty parking lot that is just south of NW 63rd will be available for parking? I sure hope so.

I pray that all of the other tenants in NH Plaza will be accepting of the flood of customers. I remember when the Sprouts opened in Edmond, the pharmacy that is next door posted multiple signs threatening to tow vehicles who parked in their lot who were not customers. Needless to say, that pharmacy next to the Edmond Sprouts will never get my business.

Especially once they start with the development on the lot south of 63rd, it would be nice to get a crosswalk (and maybe stoplight?) from the south development up into the entrance of NHP west of Mamasita's. I'm not sure if a crosswalk and/or stoplight would cause too much congestion on 63rd, but they're going to need to figure out a good way to get customers safely from either side of 63rd on foot.

soonermike81
01-27-2016, 07:43 AM

This is a really tough spot for the neighboring business, if you ask me. What is a business supposed to do in this situation? I'm not sure how that set up is up there, but in what seems like a parking lot that is already limited in their parking spaces, do you expect the pharmacy to allow it to fill up with non-pharmacy customers? If so, how long should this go on for? Like Pete said, a new grocer into the market could create a frenzy for months to come. Concerning pharmacies, customers usually go to a specific one b/c of convenience. At least that's how I choose which one I go to. And if there is nowhere close to park, it is no longer "convenient." This could especially be true for elderly customers. So the pharmacy should just allow their top and bottom line to get rocked for the sake of the new business moving in? With no end in sight? If this a local pharmacy, their dilemma becomes an even more difficult one. Risk upsetting customers who will never go there again, like yourself. Or risk losing customers who don't want to deal with the frenzy/hassle of the new neighbor and then possibly build loyalty to the pharmacy down the street.

stile99
01-27-2016, 08:03 AM
... a parking lot that is already limited in their parking spaces, do you expect the pharmacy to allow it to fill up with non-pharmacy customers?

I expect the pharmacy to do whatever their lease says. If their lease says there are spots reserved specifically for their business, I expect there to be signs at those spots saying they are specifically reserved for that business and they reserve the right to tow. If the lease says there is a parking lot for general use shared by all the businesses, I expect the pharmacy to STFU because there's not a thing they can do about it.

jerrywall
01-27-2016, 08:16 AM

You mean the pharmacy across the street, with a totally separate lot and no connection whatsoever with Sprouts? And the sprouts with a large parking lot? And a giant parking lot available in front of the old blockbuster without any signage? I mean, it's one thing if they were in the same shopping center, but a business such as a pharmacy which has a significant number of elderly customers? I don't see a problem with them protecting the spots right in front of and to the side of their building. If the city wants to take over the maintenance and cost of keeping up the parking lots and make them "common parking" or if the Sprouts wanted to buy that land, and maintain that lot, it would be different. When I had my shops, the ones in large shopping centers I knew I was sharing the space. But the one on it's own land, where I owned and paid for the parking lot, maintenance, etc, then you bet I only allowed my customers to park there.

corwin1968
01-28-2016, 10:46 AM

That would be awesome but I'm not holding by breath. A Trader Joe's in my neighborhood is just too much to imagine!

The owner of that shopping center did recently complete an outside remodel. They currently have House of Hunan, Hidalgo, Ron's Hamburgers, Hobbie's Hoagies, a liquor store and few other other shops. There is also a wrestling academy next to the old Homeland that really packs people into that center on whatever evenings they have practice. So much so that we worry about House of Hunan's survival. They do a lot of take-out business and people end up having to park 100 yards or more from the store due to wrestling traffic. HoH is one of our favorite restaurants and we would hate to see them gone.

Pete
01-31-2016, 05:19 PM
They have already started work on the TJ's space at Nichols Hills Plaza.

This is from today and that dumpster is already full.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj013116.jpg

Pete
02-13-2016, 06:24 AM
They now have the entire south end (facing 63rd) demolished. The first photo is looking through the front window looking out the back:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj021216a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj021216c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tj021216d.jpg

roci28
02-13-2016, 08:21 AM
How big is this space compared to an average sized TJ's?

Pete
02-13-2016, 08:22 AM
It's average to slightly above average.

tfvc.org
02-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Wow! Open air shopping! Like a farmer's market cool!

Tundra
02-13-2016, 05:08 PM
The lack of Parking will be their worst enemy. Everything to the north is completely full from morning till night and pops and Ruth Meyers takes up a large chuck to the west.... If they are as busy as you say they are, that parking lot will double as a UFC cage with the amount of tension it will bring to the patrons

Pete
02-13-2016, 05:18 PM
^

Virtually every TJ's in Southern California has horrible parking and they all thrive.

You learn to go at off times or just be very patient.

Tundra
02-13-2016, 05:26 PM
^

Virtually every TJ's in Southern California has horrible parking and they all thrive.

You learn to go at off times or just be very patient.

Oklahomans aren't patient...... They might need to hurry up and legalize marijuana

Brett
02-15-2016, 02:53 AM
I'm curious who here is going to play hooky on Friday, February 26th and travel up the turnpike for the grand opening of the Tulsa Trader Joe's?

oklip955
02-15-2016, 05:42 AM
I may need to do a shopping trip up the turnpike on that day. I have a few other places that I need to go. Sounds like just the day to run up there.

Brett
02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Here's a sneak peak of the Tulsa Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's product line features items for every craving - Tulsa World: Food (http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/trader-joe-s-product-line-features-items-for-every-craving/article_7fd7b48b-8fea-505b-b5ca-9156c6059335.html)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/consumer/trader-joe-s-arrival-a-sign-of-tulsa-s-growth/article_28ba0538-e461-501e-a16a-a24a34147587.html

Pete
02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Exciting stuff!

That video actually fueled some missing-California pangs because TJ's is such a part of the scene there.

Looking forward to it finally be part of the Oklahoma scene as well!

oklip955
02-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Ok, who is driving up on Friday? I might have to think about a trip up for a few things.

Dustin
02-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Oklahomans aren't patient...... They might need to hurry up and legalize marijuana

Hey! Something we agree on!

Pete
03-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Just learned Trader Joe's is planning an early fall opening for their NH Plaza location.

OKCRT
03-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Did I see them advertising Hemp Seed? Isn't that used to grow MaryJane?

I just googled it and it says Hemp Seeds only contain trace amounts of THC so if one used them for growing you prob would have some pretty weak stuff. So I assume it's legal in Ok? But if it contains THC how can that be?

Looking forward to Trader Joes in OKC!!

tfvc.org
03-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Did I see them advertising Hemp Seed? Isn't that used to grow MaryJane?

I just googled it and it says Hemp Seeds only contain trace amounts of THC so if one used them for growing you prob would have some pretty weak stuff. So I assume it's legal in Ok? But if it contains THC how can that be?

Looking forward to Trader Joes in OKC!!

Hemp is a cousin to the plant that is used for marijuana. Not the same plant.

OKCRT
03-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Hemp is a cousin to the plant that is used for marijuana. Not the same plant.

So hemp is legal in Ok?