View Full Version : Local Bands

citizenkane
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Are any of you familiar with the "underground" music scene here? Several of my friends and I are pretty well versed in local music and I thought it would be fun to see who likes whom in the area. Several of my favorite local bands are as follows: Student Film, Mayola, The Uglysuit, Jacob Abello, Scales of Motion (Tulsa), and The Non. The Non pretty much tops the list for me, really. Not like any other band I've heard--pretty complex. The Resound show they did a couple months back was great and I'm looking forward to their new album that's supposed to come out soon.

Thoughts? Bands?

kmf563
12-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Approaching August. That's my fav.

There are too many to list that I enjoy.

jstanthrnme
12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
2 of my favorites no longer exist here.

Little League Hero and Cheyenne

kmf563
12-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Little League Hero is playing at Belle Isle Saturday night.

jstanthrnme
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
thats great news! I knew they had a reunion show at conservatory. I figured it was a one time deal.

kmf563
12-11-2009, 08:44 AM
no idea if they are back together or whatever. I just saw a friend of mine was going. That's the only reason I knew about it. But enjoy! Merry Christmas. =)

okcdeveloper
12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Since you have a black flag icon as your avatar I figured I would respond.

I'd check out traindodge, euclid crash, the city lives and john moreland and the black gold band from tulsa. They play here alot.

good news about llh!

citizenkane
12-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I also like El Paso Hot Button. Does anyone remember The Nancys or Twenty Minutes To Vegas?

onthestrip
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Ive never seen them live and have only downloaded a couple of their songs, which are really good, but I'd say Colourmusic is a very good one. And it seems they probably have the best chance to make it big.

RedDirt717
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Mama sweet, Taddy Porter (about to be huge), mayola, The Hero Factor, The Non, Red Eye Gravy, Dorian Small, Student Film, Hosty Duo (or solo at the Deli)Resident Funk, eclectic Groove.

shane453
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Stardeath and White Dwarfs, with help from Flaming Lips, have made a great debut album signed by Warner Brothers and I think they could be poised to become pretty big with their next album release.

I also really like the Uglysuit a lot, they have great potential I think.

scapula
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Deep Donkey Crew.

trousers
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I dont think DDC is going to get much love on this forum.

trousers
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I also like El Paso Hot Button. Does anyone remember The Nancys or Twenty Minutes To Vegas?
The drummer for 20min plays for the Riverboat Gamblers now, pretty good stuff.

scapula
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
I dont think DDC is going to get much love on this forum.

Hmm how's about Callupsie from T-town? Or Black Swan before they moved to Portland, Dead Sea Choir with their stellar, Greek frontman... Sherree Chamberlain, Deerpeople, Buffalofitz? What about Early Beat, Scales of Motion, Rainbows are Free, JFJO.. remember Ghost of Monkshood? Do you like Dorian Smalls' new thing? Or Gentle Ghost, Sethy from Student Film's new dealio? The Pretty Black Chains are pretty cool, Jacob Abello's been receiving a good amount of buzz lately and rightfully so. The pop-captains and solid gentleman in HHC or cousin band (don't tell them I said that--there's a sort of rivalry there) The City Lives? Their man Kerby does some solid acoustic biz... don't forget the folk classics Ali Harter and Sam Crain, John Fullbright as well. Big, softy winners Other Lives (I prefer the name Kunek, really) and Aquaduct (is it a coincidence that David Terry looks so much like Jesse Tabish??? what up with that). Did you guys ever frequent Bell Isle Brewery..? That was sort of Luma's joint before they changed their name to Fires of Atlas (sounds a bit too much like Atlas Sound, Maps & Atlases, and Map the Sea too me but they're still fun). The big ones have already been name dropped--The Non, The dudes of the nasty Suit, Colourmusic, etc. Any love there? Some new projects emerging, EMAILS, The Boom Bang (not all too new there, really), some offshoot of The Pretty Black Chains. Hmm. Love for the fresh?

scapula
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Ah and Kane already dropped Mayola but I've got to give them a mention too, I think they're a great band.

trousers
12-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Red City Radio put out a pretty good EP not long ago. I always like to check out Rainbows are Free whenever I can, dont make it to Norman that often though. I havent left the house enough lately to check out too much. I've heard a little of Dead Sea Choir, pretty good.

scapula
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Red City Radio is not a band I've thought about in a while, they're cool. Did you catch Rainbows are Free's show at 66 Bowl two weeks ago with ****ty/Awesome? It was on a Saturday. I wanted to go but it ended up not happening... a common dilemma, if you know what I mean. So many bands, so little time (money, too)!

scapula
12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Red City Radio is not a band I've thought about in a while, they're cool. Did you catch Rainbows are Free's show at 66 Bowl two weeks ago with ****ty/Awesome? It was on a Saturday. I wanted to go but it ended up not happening... a common dilemma, if you know what I mean. So many bands, so little time (money, too)!

Hmm I'm new and didn't know that the band name would be censored. Sh*tty/Awesome, incase their was curiosity.

KurtTGS
01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Funny that I came across this, I never usually check this section.

Many memories of Little League Hero over the years.

As far as John Moreland goes, he has dumped his band and is now solo. Bummer...

El Paso Hot Button is fantastic, and yes, the Nancys and Twenty Minutes To Vegas were awesome. I love the fact that Eric is in the Riverboat Gamblers now.

I also endorse Scapula's big list of bands. I would however like to slightly correct what you said about The Boom Bang: They actually started a bit before The Pretty Black Chains, and Kellen was their drummer. He then left to form TPBC. The Boom Bang are basically our brother band in a way though. :) Kellen is actually working on a side project with most of The Boom Bang guys right now...

Callupsie is amazing. Aaron is in and out of Unwed Sailor often, and also helped those guys start Native Lights. Check them out.

Dead Sea Choir, miss Chamberlain, and Jacob Abello are great.

Of course Other Lives, Mayola, and Colourmusic. Stillwater is a hotbed I tell you.

Red City Radio and Over Stars and Gutters are stellar.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot right now.

As far as bands being "big", I'd say Colourmusic is already on that level, as well as The Uglysuit, and Other lives. All three bands have done numerous U.S and foreign tours, been featured in numerous magazines, played at massive festivals such as Lollapalooza, and had their songs featured on primetime network TV, and various national clothing chains.

Oklahoma has a ridiculous amount of good bands.

trousers
01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm actually planning on dragging my butt off the coach for the Red City Radio/Rainbows are Free show next month.

Really looking forward to seeing who all is playing the Norman Music Festival this summer.