View Full Version : Streetcar

HOT ROD
12-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Brookville's Liberty looks very nice!

HangryHippo
12-10-2014, 09:08 AM
I like the looks of the CAF model the best.

CuatrodeMayo
12-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I'll be beyond thrilled to see any of these traversing the streets of OKC. It will be a far cry from the city of my childhood.

Anonymous.
12-10-2014, 10:54 AM
At the start I was leaning towards keeping the wires. But as I've thought more and more - I would actually prefer wireless. Wires will help people see where the streetcar goes, but in this day and age - finding a route on an app or seeing the shelters and rails is sufficient.

I have a strong feeling that anyone willing to take the streetcar is going to put enough effort into seeing where it actually travels.

Does having the wires incline people to blindly go to the shelter and ride? Or does it just help those who were already planning on riding the streetcar, find it? (I am asking those who have/had extensive experience in a city with a system in place)

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I think the wires will help vehicle operators to identify the area they are driving in to be more alertful.

Plutonic Panda
12-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I'd still prefer wireless, but we've been down that route before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was already decided OKC is going the wires?

Paseofreak
12-10-2014, 02:47 PM
I will have the capacity to go wireless for some distance to deal with obstacles like overpasses.

catch22
12-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Depot debate: MAPS 3 committee member protests Santa Fe station renderings | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2014/12/10/depot-debate-maps-3-committee-member-protests-santa-fe-station-renderings-real-estate/)

Anybody have access to the full article? Warreng88?

Laramie
12-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I'd still prefer wireless, but we've been down that route before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was already decided OKC is going the wires?

Don't think that a concrete decision has been made. The longer it takes, who knows; wireless just may be an option.

Could the city start out with a system using wires; then transfer over to a wireless streetcar model?

David
12-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Depot debate: MAPS 3 committee member protests Santa Fe station renderings | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2014/12/10/depot-debate-maps-3-committee-member-protests-santa-fe-station-renderings-real-estate/)

I saw a tweet (https://twitter.com/OKCStreetcar/status/542795211790090240) that I'm guessing is related from the OKC Streetcar Twitter account earlier:

Initial @cityofokc Santa Fe plans show no pedestrian relationship to @Maps3 Bricktown stops... the primary stops. Disappointed...

ljbab728
12-10-2014, 10:58 PM
From Bill Crum.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5374811?embargo=1

Jeff Bezdek, a streetcar advocate and member of a MAPS 3 streetcar advisory group, told committee members and the architects that he had hoped the designs would do more to connect the depot to streetcar stops on Reno and Sheridan avenues.

The stops will be on the Bricktown side of the tracks, which is the back side of Santa Fe Station.

warreng88
12-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Here you go:

Depot debate: MAPS 3 committee member protests Santa Fe station renderings

OKLAHOMA CITY – A presentation Wednesday on the Santa Fe station intermodal hub renovations prompted concern from a member of the MAPS 3 streetcar subcommittee.

During the Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting, Tap Architecture architect Scott Parker and Chicago-based Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architecture architect Stan Szwalek presented initial drawings for a renovated Santa Fe station, including a tunnel to connect the Central Business District to Bricktown. The station’s renovations showed space for restaurant and retail development. The tunnel will be glazed and could be a showcase spot for local art.

“This project is very much about connecting and activating; connecting the downtown side with the Bricktown Canal and activating the interior part with new business opportunities and a streetscape on the plaza,” Szwalek said.

Tap’s renderings include a streetcar stop across E.K. Gaylord Boulevard. However, that streetcar stop won’t be part of the initial route, said Jeff Bezdek, an at-large MAPS 3 subcommittee member.
“The stop in front of the station will not be used at all,” Bezdek said.

He said Amtrak passengers would have to walk to stops next to the fountain on E. Sheridan Avenue or the flag plaza on E. Reno Avenue to hop on the streetcar.

“You’ve done a great job opening up the tunnel and doing great things to activate Lower Bricktown, but there’s no interaction depicted between the transit uses for the facility,” he said.

He said the MAPS 3 subcommittee is especially interested in making sure that ties to other modes of transit are properly depicted because it has about $10 million invested in the $40 million project.

Public Works Director Eric Wenger told The Journal Record that the City Council-approved streetcar map shows that the route near the Santa Fe hub is a possible extension to the original route. It would stop on the Cox Convention Center side of the street, across from the rail station.

Bezdek said the streetcar route included the hub in its initial phase, but that plan was changed after retailers, Mayor Mick Cornett and city councilmen asked for the route to go further into Bricktown. He said the committee is concerned that passengers getting off the Amtrak train who want to take a streetcar to a hotel would have to walk at least a block east.

“Our concern is that for the first 10 to 15 years of this facility’s use, the primary interaction is the MAPS 3 streetcar, and that connective tissue is not depicted authoritatively,” he said.

Parker said Tap was told to depict the hub as a streetcar alternative route, with a stop on Gaylord.

“Our committee will be protesting that, because (Gaylord Boulevard) will not be the primary streetcar stop,” Bezdek said. “The transit advocates will protest this all the way to City Council unless the connective tissue to the streetcar is well-established.”

The city says streetcar service could start in 2018.

Urban Pioneer
12-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I didn't want to discuss this on the thread publicly until I had heard the presentation. Basically, we had hoped for a weather protected architectural connection, signage, and automated arrival, information boards. The architects have done a great job on the preliminaries for the tunnel and establishing a pedestrian connection to the facility.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of understanding in the Public Works Department as to exactly where people will walking to catch the streetcar from the station.

The tunnel took on new importance when we moved the stops to the "backside" of the facility to connect further into Bricktown. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing I depicted establishing how the first initial two modes of transit connect with one another.

We will fix it, but I am disappointed that we have to fight for it. It seems that we have to fight for everything. And it is always the same people standing in the way.

CuatrodeMayo
12-11-2014, 09:42 AM
At least somebody is there to say something. Good job, Jeff.

TheTravellers
12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I didn't want to discuss this on the thread publicly until I had heard the presentation. Basically, we had hoped for a weather protected architectural connection, signage, and automated arrival, information boards. The architects have done a great job on the preliminaries for the tunnel and establishing a pedestrian connection to the facility.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of understanding in the Public Works Department as to exactly where people will walking to catch the streetcar from the station.

The tunnel took on new importance when we moved the stops to the "backside" of the facility to connect further into Bricktown. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing I depicted establishing how the first initial two modes of transit connect with one another.

We will fix it, but I am disappointed that we have to fight for it. It seems that we have to fight for everything. And it is always the same people standing in the way.

Thanks for all you do, man, I'd probably be in jail over killing city/state gov't folks by now if I had to do what you have to...

Just absolutely baffling that they can't google/research/investigate how other cities connect transportation forms, it's not that freaking hard, been done hundreds (thousands, probably) of times all over the world, correctly, and it's just plain damn common sense and logic!

Just the facts
12-11-2014, 12:11 PM
If only this route how been adopted from the beginning think of how much time and trouble would have been saved.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKC%20Stuff/All_zps3eab136c.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/KerryinJax/media/OKC%20Stuff/All_zps3eab136c.jpg.html)

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKC%20Stuff/Black_zpsd5a3d369.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/KerryinJax/media/OKC%20Stuff/Black_zpsd5a3d369.jpg.html)

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKC%20Stuff/Red_zps1a82e1c1.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/KerryinJax/media/OKC%20Stuff/Red_zps1a82e1c1.jpg.html)

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/OKC%20Stuff/Yellow_zps727b2035.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/KerryinJax/media/OKC%20Stuff/Yellow_zps727b2035.jpg.html)

shawnw
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
I would have been okay with Sid's route suggestion

BoulderSooner
12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
If only this route how been adopted from the beginning think of how much time and trouble would have been saved.

46 blocks double tracked. Give or take or 9 miles of track. Where is that money coming from?

Urban Pioneer
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
It has nothing to do with the route. It has everything to do with traffic engineers trying to renovate a train station.

Why are we discussing routes again?

Urban Pioneer
12-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words on the previous page.

Plutonic Panda
12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Czech company is leading contender to build MAPS 3 streetcars | News OK (http://newsok.com/czech-company-is-leading-contender-to-build-maps-3-streetcars/article/5376166)

Plutonic Panda
12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
The single comment is funny. Only American engineering is the best quality in everything.

Urban Pioneer
12-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I must confess that I am excited about this. The Czechs have a long history of providing functional streetcar vehicles here in the United States with equipment in Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, and other cities. There is a well developed consortium for parts and maintenance services between the various transit authorities for these specific vehicles.

Their trams are not exactly cutting edge technology compared to some of the other companies, but this was exactly the kind of streetcar that inspired the MAPS 3 streetcar program to begin with. In fact, the original renderings of the streetcar during the MAPS 3 campaign are based on an earlier model from this company. Portland and Tacoma were what our graphic artist based his renderings off of.

I can't really put in writing the pro's and con's of the various companies that bid on the project until the process is over. Quite frankly, I was surprised that we didn't have a couple more American bidders. There was only one.

But if people are concerned that we are on budget (we're under budget with this bid package) or whether the system will reliably operate on day one, this is probably one of the least riskiness decisions that could have been made for this program.

catch22
12-16-2014, 03:27 PM
I must confess that I am excited about this. The Czechs have a long history of providing functional streetcar vehicles here in the United States with equipment in Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, and other cities. There is a well developed consortium for parts and maintenance services between the various transit authorities for these specific vehicles.

Their trams are not exactly cutting edge technology compared to some of the other companies, but this was exactly the kind of streetcar that inspired the MAPS 3 streetcar program to begin with. In fact, the original renderings of the streetcar during the MAPS 3 campaign are based on an earlier model from this company. Portland and Tacoma were what our graphic artist based his renderings off of.

I can't really put in writing the pro's and con's of the various companies that bid on the project until the process is over. Quite frankly, I was surprised that we didn't have a couple more American bidders. There was only one.

But if people are concerned that we are on budget (we're under budget with this bid package) or whether the system will reliably operate on day one, this is probably one of the least riskiness decisions that could have been made for this program.

Thanks for the update. I too am excited.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I'm very excited too, loved riding the El and Metra trains in Chicago and burbs, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than driving (unless you wanted to go to a club show and lived in the burbs 'cos Metra trains stopped running to the burbs at 12:30 AM).

AP
12-17-2014, 03:01 PM
If you're interested, Ben Felder from the Gazette is live tweeting the streetcar subcommittee meeting where they are supposed to select manufacturer. www.twitter.com/benfelder_okg

CuatrodeMayo
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
If you're interested, Ben Felder from the Gazette is live tweeting the streetcar subcommittee meeting where they are supposed to select manufacturer. www.twitter.com/benfelder_okg (http://www.twitter.com/benfelder_okg)

Streetcar track/stop has to be in front of Santa Fe in order to qualify for fed grant, but will not be used. Its built just to qualify.

Nice.

AP
12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Nice.

That's a little annoying.

shawnw
12-17-2014, 03:28 PM
palming of the face shall ensue post haste

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Idiots. Again, why in the hell can't OKC look at the way this has been done thousands of times across the world and step up and do it right?

Urban Pioneer
12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Which part? lol We fought and won today. The live tweets were "live". There is a good reason to keep the track in EK Gaylord since the FTA is paying for it. But putting the stop in is a stupid idea. After today, its doubtful that will happen.

hfry
12-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Urban, I agree its silly to have the stop there yet perfect to let the FTA pay for it but I am curious how it can be used during Phase 1 or is it more just preparing for the future?

HOT ROD
12-18-2014, 01:10 AM
funny, I was just on the Tacoma Link light rail yesterday and marveled at how nice it was.

I do think the Czech design will work well in OKC - and Tacoma doesn't ahve a lot of wires even though most is double tracked. .. (hint to L Nichols, there's only two and not even noticeable in a much smaller downtown than OKC).

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Urban, I agree its silly to have the stop there yet perfect to let the FTA pay for it but I am curious how it can be used during Phase 1 or is it more just preparing for the future?

Well its both. Former EMBARK Transportation Director Rick Cain wanted various points of redundancy built into the system and I agreed with him. If there is a parade in Bricktown, a broken down or parked car on the line, or other mechanical issue, having the track on Gaylord allows us to bypass Bricktown and keep the system up and running.

I am advocating for similar redundancy for Midtown by pushing for a four-way switch to be installed at 4th and Robinson.

The FTA paying for this is helpful.

hfry
12-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Makes sense, speaking of the redundancy, one of my fondest memories of mass transit is cramming onto the L in Chicago after a cubs game. It seemed everyone was riding it to get to their car somewhere else in the city. With our system, say after a Thunder game will this be possible for the people who parked by say BassPro or anywhere in Bricktown? Will they have to ride the system around or would it be possible to run it backwards a block on reno to the Gaylord track and then to sheridan and around?

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 08:33 AM
46 blocks double tracked. Give or take or 9 miles of track. Where is that money coming from?

It is the exact same mileage of track that is already being built. Alas, my comment was more along the lines that the final route will be much closer to my depiction than that of the original approved route AND my route actually made a stop at the transit hub.

BoulderSooner
12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
It is the exact same mileage of track that is already being built. Alas, my comment was more along the lines that the final route will be much closer to my depiction than that of the original approved route AND my route actually made a stop at the transit hub.

no it is double(+-) the mileage of what is being built

warreng88
12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
From the Gazette:

Streetcar committee wants faster timeline for car orders

By Ben Felder

Members of Oklahoma City’s streetcar subcommittee praised city staff on its plans for a new transit hub at the Santa Fe train station but expressed concern that it would not directly link to stops on the future downtown streetcar line.

A combination of city and federal funds will help complete a $28 million redesign of the Santa Fe station to serve as a hub for the current Amtrak stop, and future rail and bus service. The station will have streetcar track and a stop in front of it on E K Gaylord Blvd. to meet federal requirements, but that track will not be regularly used by the initial route of the streetcar system. Rather, lines will travel down Sheridan and Reno with stops at least one block away from the Santa Fe station.

“As a streetcar subcommittee we want to make sure [the Santa Fe station] is tied in [to the streetcar] system,” said committee chair Nathaniel Harding.

Committee members asked about some type of covered walkway from the Santa Fe station to the two closest streetcar stops and signage inside the station directing riders to those stops.

City Engineer Eric Wenger, who gave a presentation of the Santa Fe station plan to the committee, said stop integration would be revealed further in the process. Wenger also said construction on the station is slated to begin this summer with completion expected in the fall of 2016.

As part of Wenger’s presentation there is a proposed tunnel under the elevated railroad track linking the Santa Fe station with Bricktown. some committee members suggested a covered walkway from the tunnel’s exit in Bricktown to the streetcar stops on Sheridan and Reno.

Unused track

Because a $13 million federal grant for the Santa Fe station redevelopment required it to link to the streetcar route, a track will be built in front of the station, although it will hardly ever be used, at least during the first phase of the system.

Manufacturer selected

The streetcar subcommittee prefers the INEKON Group to be its streetcar manufacturer, which was one of five companies to submit proposals to the city. INEKON has built streetcars for Seattle, Tacoma and Portland, which committee members said were model cities for Oklahoma City’s system.

Consultants recommended not ordering the five streetcars until the final construction price for the route was set, but committee members expressed a desire to move quicker.

“I don’t see a reason to wait that long [to place an order] when we know we at least need five cars,” said Jill Adler.

Consultants for the streetcar believe five cars, with four in use and one as a backup, would allow the first phase of the route to offer service every 10 minutes.

Jeff Bezdek said streetcar manufacturers are “notoriously late” and it was noted that new cars for Seattle were already several months behind schedule. The committee asked city staff to prepare for a July 1 order of five streetcars, even if final construction cost of the route was not yet set.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Makes sense, speaking of the redundancy, one of my fondest memories of mass transit is cramming onto the L in Chicago after a cubs game. It seemed everyone was riding it to get to their car somewhere else in the city. With our system, say after a Thunder game will this be possible for the people who parked by say BassPro or anywhere in Bricktown? Will they have to ride the system around or would it be possible to run it backwards a block on reno to the Gaylord track and then to sheridan and around?

There has been discussion of an additional crossover between Hudson and Robinson. This would enable a direct "special event" closed loop to provide service between the convention center and Bricktown. The other crossover being discussed is at 4th and Robinson.

I suspect we will "win" the switch at 4th and Robinson. That would essentially allow the system to run a CBD / Bricktown centric train. That type of arrangement would enable nearly all of the parking garages to serve special events.

I am one of those folks who is really hesitant about tearing down structures and building too many parking garages. I think the streetcar will enable parking to to be distributed over a broader area and help resolve the "crush load" problem.

Problem is, those sorts of arguments are also up against traditional development opinions. When the streetcar system comes online, I believe that how leaders think about density and how we develop parcels will change as pedestrian fluidity downtown will be greatly enabled.

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 11:48 AM
no it is double(+-) the mileage of what is being built

Dude - I drew it. I know exactly how long it is. The red line is 2.72 miles long. Double it for double track and that is 5.44 miles. The yellow line is 0.45 miles of additional track and black is 1.0 mile. Total length of track is 6.89 miles.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Regardless.... We have already gone into formal engineering design for the route that has been approved by our City Council.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 01:29 PM
There has been discussion of an additional crossover between Hudson and Robinson. This would enable a direct "special event" closed loop to provide service between the convention center and Bricktown. The other crossover being discussed is at 4th and Robinson.

I suspect we will "win" the switch at 4th and Robinson. That would essentially allow the system to run a CBD / Bricktown centric train. That type of arrangement would enable nearly all of the parking garages to serve special events.

I am one of those folks who is really hesitant about tearing down structures and building too many parking garages. I think the streetcar will enable parking to to be distributed over a broader area and help resolve the "crush load" problem.

Problem is, those sorts of arguments are also up against traditional development opinions. When the streetcar system comes online, I believe that how leaders think about density and how we develop parcels will change as pedestrian fluidity downtown will be greatly enabled.Becareful or next thing you know their logic will be to build more parking garages to accommodate the street car for folks from Edmond. I hope they see the street car as a tool and a solution and not as an attraction.

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Regardless.... We have already gone into formal engineering design for the route that has been approved by our City Council.

That doesn't even directly serve the transit hub. Excuse me if I chalk that up as a fail on behalf of a lot of people who were supposed to be planning this thing. Which members of the streetcar committee approved the stops literally being on the wrong side of the tracks?

AP
12-18-2014, 01:45 PM
That doesn't even directly serve the transit hub. Excuse me if I chalk that up as a fail on behalf of a lot of people who were supposed to be planning this thing.

I agree with this. What is the point of a transit hub if nothing is using the transit hub? Buses already have a transit center that is relatively new, no commuter rail anytime soon, and the streetcar is a block away. The only people going to the hub in the next 5 years will only be there for the restaurant. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
The only people going to the hub in the next 5 years will only be there for the restaurant. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Which explains the surface parking lot. And this whole time I thought the primary customer base was going to be transit riders. Please tell me the restaurant is planned to be an upscale white-tablecloth type place.

BoulderSooner
12-18-2014, 02:09 PM
That doesn't even directly serve the transit hub. Excuse me if I chalk that up as a fail on behalf of a lot of people who were supposed to be planning this thing. Which members of the streetcar committee approved the stops literally being on the wrong side of the tracks?

Normally this kind of comment would bother me. But in this case consider the source.

Ever hear of planningn for the future? No? maybe because you are too busy living in suburbia pontificating about a far away city that you know little about

Hutch
12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
CNN: Five Signs America is Falling in Love with Public Transit (http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/17/travel/public-transportation-ridership-increasing/index.html?iref=allsearch)

AP
12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Normally this kind of comment would bother me. But in this case consider the source.

Ever hear of planningn for the future? No? maybe because you are too busy living in suburbia pontificating about a far away city that you know little about

Why are you so upset about someone saying this is a fail? A lot of people agree that it is. We are spending a lot of money on the hub that isn't going to be used any time in the near future except for a restaurant. How can anyone not see that as a fail at incorporating the streetcar into it? Especially since they are laying tracks RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT, yet somehow we still decided there was no reason to utilize the hub until the future.

BrettM2
12-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Why are you so upset about someone saying this is a fail? A lot of people agree that it is. We are spending a lot of money on the hub that isn't going to be used any time in the near future except for a restaurant. How can anyone not see that as a fail at incorporating the streetcar into it? Especially since they are laying tracks RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT, yet somehow we still decided there was no reason to utilize the hub until the future.

I'd say it is more of a culmination of all his negative posts since his return to the board. I can't recall a single positive thing he's had to say.

David
12-18-2014, 03:27 PM
It would also be nice if he would stop repeating complete falsehoods like his claims that the Myriad Gardens are unused and that the plans for the 499 building and/or the OG&E Center involve parking garages fronting the park (not sure which he meant since neither are true). It's one thing to know what is going on in the city and strive for better, but entirely another to not know and not bother to find out because the truth conflicts with the narrative.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't know how to do a double quote. But this is to both Just the Facts and Andrew.

Look.... We had $10 million dollars to buy Santa Fe Station in the budget. We got a matching grant from the FTA. So now we are renovating the facility in it's entirely without even having a Regional Transit Authority. We are essentially years ahead of the Regional process. Should we not accept that money and get the Phase 1 of the facility ready? The historic station is falling apart. The parking lot is a placeholder for Phase 3 transit hall expansion.

Regarding the streetcar, the Mayor, Bricktown property owners, Bricktown merchants, the Ward 7 Councilmen (both Skip Kelly and later John Pettis), and our consultants doing the economic development scoring all wanted the loop through Bricktown that we are moving forward with. Therefore, we are putting stops on Sheridan and Reno and pressing forward with the tunnel punching through to serve them. Streetcar is part of the facility.

And now we are working with Public Works for even more integration. Also, we have fought for and won the reconstruction and pedestrian urbanization of EK Gaylord... A huge and difficult victory.

And yet all I am hearing from you guys is criticism of volunteers. You guys sit in our chairs for day and fight cultural intransigence instead of pontificating on a message board.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 04:30 PM

That's why bringing the pedestrian tunnel is important. To connect Bricktown and to make the two stops part of the facility.

Rover
12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Urban Pioneer, it is much easier to criticize than to do. Thanks to all the volunteers for all they do. There are lots of difficult decisions to make and lots of research and learning to do. Thanks for doing while knowing that whatever gets done will be criticized.

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 07:57 PM
I guess I just don't get it then. A transit station that doesn't get transit until phase 2 (which might never happen). That has the makings of a 60 Minutes exposé on why streetcars are a waste of money.

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Streetcar meets Amtrak. There is your 1st Phase transit connection. Not sure why that isn't obvious.

OKCisOK4me
12-18-2014, 08:52 PM
I guess I just don't get it then. A transit station that doesn't get transit until phase 2 (which might never happen). That has the makings of a 60 Minutes exposé on why streetcars are a waste of money.

It seems like you are very well educated on the subject matter. Surely your employer in Jacksonville will understand if you take a leave of absence to come home and bring everyone on board your train? Maybe you can volunteer your time along side Urban and get everyone to see the light?

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 10:22 PM
It seems like you are very well educated on the subject matter. Surely your employer in Jacksonville will understand if you take a leave of absence to come home and bring everyone on board your train? Maybe you can volunteer your time along side Urban and get everyone to see the light?

Already did that. I spent a couple of years hosting a website for rail in OKC. You think the Modern Streetcar Project and MAPS III were the first people since the 1940's to try and get rail back in OKC? Somewhere back in the Oklahoman archives you can read about it (would have been in the 1999 to 2001 range). The members of our group that live in OKC met every month. We were doing it when we were the only people who wanted it. The City was even nice enough to host our forum.

Just the facts
12-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Streetcar meets Amtrak. There is your 1st Phase transit connection. Not sure why that isn't obvious.

Well I guess someone had a talk with you between today and 7 days ago, because 7 days ago you seemed pretty unhappy about the lack of a streetcar connection at the transit hub.

http://journalrecord.com/2014/12/10/depot-debate-maps-3-committee-member-protests-santa-fe-station-renderings-real-estate/

Tap’s renderings include a streetcar stop across E.K. Gaylord Boulevard. However, that streetcar stop won’t be part of the initial route, said Jeff Bezdek, an at-large MAPS 3 subcommittee member.
“The stop in front of the station will not be used at all,” Bezdek said.

He said Amtrak passengers would have to walk to stops next to the fountain on E. Sheridan Avenue or the flag plaza on E. Reno Avenue to hop on the streetcar.

“You’ve done a great job opening up the tunnel and doing great things to activate Lower Bricktown, but there’s no interaction depicted between the transit uses for the facility,” he said.

He said the MAPS 3 subcommittee is especially interested in making sure that ties to other modes of transit are properly depicted because it has about $10 million invested in the $40 million project.

“Our committee will be protesting that, because (Gaylord Boulevard) will not be the primary streetcar stop,” Bezdek said. “The transit advocates will protest this all the way to City Council unless the connective tissue to the streetcar is well-established.”

I guess the protest to council is off?

on edit - you were right 7 days ago.

catch22
12-18-2014, 10:58 PM

Did you even read anything that was posted? It was purchased for future use. You have to purchase it at some time. Would you rather it was not purchased at all, and risk someone else coming in later on and purchasing it before the city could? Or wait for the price to continue to go up as property values increase?

Tier2City
12-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Oklahoma City streetcar advisory board has concerns on lead bidder's late delivery to Seattle | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-streetcar-advisory-board-has-concerns-on-lead-bidders-late-delivery-to-seattle/article/5377328)