View Full Version : Streetcar

warreng88
03-04-2014, 12:50 PM
How many are going to be going at the same time once it is up and running? Six? The official Thunder colors are Blue, Orange, Yellow and Dark Blue. Maybe add a green and a red to that?

Plutonic Panda
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Gunmetal gray

I think it would be cool to have the majority of them gunmetal grey and have two or three of them fitted to have the Thunder livery on them.

betts
03-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Of course, this is predicated on actually having one. A lot may hinge on the outcome of the election today.

BrettM2
03-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Will Thunder Alley already have relocated prior to the construction of the line? Minor issue, but was curious if anyone knows.

Laramie
03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
New Animation of MAPS 3 Streetcar | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/3939670)

Makes me want to park & ride. This will be a big step from those old vintage rubber wheel trollies rolling around in the city.

Hope we can avoid the overhead contact cables with the new commuter rail.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

hoya
03-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Three questions: 1) what does the streetcar do during traffic jams? 2) what does the streetcar do if some moron drives into one? 3) what if something obstructs the road?

I presume it's no different than a city bus (i.e., it sits through the traffic jam, and it waits until someone can come out and fix it if it's in an accident, or clear the road if there's a broken down car). But I just wanted to see if there were any other answers.

Teo9969
03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
The biggest advantage of riding a street-car is watching the carnage the vehicle levies on the surrounding area from inside the confines of a comfortable environment. Neither stop sign nor stop light, car nor bus, average pedestrian nor old woman crossing in a wheel chair can stop the Streetcar from bowling through at incredible speeds to get people to their destination as quickly as possible. Look out, Grandma, public transit in OKC is about to get real!

CaptDave
03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Photos of the new Denver Union Station:

Welcome Back to Denver Union Station, Amtrak! « DenverUrbanism Blog (http://denverurbanism.com/2014/03/welcome-back-to-denver-union-station-amtrak.html#.UxfoveDoMkY.facebook)

http://denverurbanism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-02-28_Amtrak-06.jpg

betts
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Wow. Of course transit in Denver has been way ahead of us for a long time. I lived there carless, easily when there was only a bus system.

OKCisOK4me
03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
I've been following the Denver project on skyscraperpage.com. The new line out to the airport and the terminal they're building there is pretty impressive as well!

LocoAko
03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Figured this would be a good thread to share this article in:

Report: Americans ride public transit in record numbers | Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/3/10/americans-ride-publictransportinrecordnumbers.html)

“As the highest annual ridership number since 1956, Americans in growing numbers want to have more public transit services in their communities,” Peter Varga, APTA Chair and CEO of the Grand Rapids’ transit authority in Michigan, said in a press release.

“Public transportation systems nationwide — in small, medium, and large communities — saw ridership increases. Some reported all-time high ridership numbers.”

Expanding bus and train networks and increased service helped spur the growth, as did the nation's urban shift, the report found. Since 1995, public transit ridership has risen 37.2 percent, outpacing both population growth and the number of vehicle miles traveled on roads.

“There is a fundamental shift going on in the way we move about our communities,” said Michael Melaniphy, APTA president. "People are making a fundamental shift to having options" aside from a car in how they get around, he added. "This is a long-term trend. This isn't just a blip."

Just the facts
03-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Sunrail Starts Testing Schedule

SunRail testing trains, schedule with trial runs | News-JournalOnline.com (http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20140305/NEWS/140309655?Title=SunRail-testing-trains-schedule-with-trial-runs)

SunRail is attempting to get its trains to run on time by running the trains.

The new commuter rail system linking DeBary and Orlando has begun trial runs – without riders – between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m. as part of the runup to the start of service May 1, said Steve Olson, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Transportation.

“We’re trying to run the trains to mirror the daily schedule,” Olson said. “They would run then so that we can see when can we get to the stations. Are we getting there on time? If not, where do we need to adjust our schedule?

Here is some video of earlier testing.

T9dpxb5S1co

Garin
03-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Ran across this old photo.

Spartan
03-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Broadway?

Urban Pioneer
04-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Our next streetcar meeting is next Wed. We took March off to let the consultants get more work done for a longer stretch. Pretty close to final recommendations for overall design parameters, Then flexibility in developing the final design within those parameters should begin. So pretty exciting as we move from conceptual to actual foot by foot linear drawings.

DoctorTaco
04-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Question.

I am wanting to start agitating the city to build a traffic circle at Classen Blvd and 11th in Midtown (6-way intersection in front of Irma's burgers). Seems logical to do this at the same time as streetcar construction tears up that intersection. Thoughts?

OKCisOK4me
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Question.

I am wanting to start agitating the city to build a traffic circle at Classen Blvd and 11th in Midtown (6-way intersection in front of Irma's burgers). Seems logical to do this at the same time as streetcar construction tears up that intersection. Thoughts?

You mean NW 10th? Otherwise, you're talking about Park Place...

Someone recently mentioned extending the streetcar west on 10th since its four lanes already and it could accommodate Ten Penn and Plaza District.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

warreng88
04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
You mean NW 10th? Otherwise, you're talking about Park Place...

I think he means the NW 11th, Classen and Dewey intersection, the intersection west of Irma's and Boulevard Cafeteria

Urban Pioneer
04-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Question. I am wanting to start agitating the city to build a traffic circle at Classen Blvd and 11th in Midtown (6-way intersection in front of Irma's burgers). Seems logical to do this at the same time as streetcar construction tears up that intersection. Thoughts?

Not sure I support it. I guess it depends on how it was designed. Undoubtedly, another crazy five point intersection but also the same critical intersection to extend the streetcar system to the Plaza, OCU, and Asia District. It really depended on how it was designed. And yeah, this is the Dewey intersection that we are writing about.

CuatrodeMayo
04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
While we're at it, 13th, Shartel, & Classen Drive, please.

warreng88
04-16-2014, 10:17 AM
While we're at it, 13th, Shartel, & Classen Drive, please.

Definitely wouldn't be opposed to that one but you know the people north of that intersection would be.

Urban Pioneer
04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
lol

Urbanized
04-18-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't follow this thread too closely - so not sure if it was posted here - but saw this article and thought transit folks might find it interesting/chilling. Seems Oklahoma isn't the only state where legislatures have no problem meddling in civic affairs:

Don?t Feel Too Bad, Nashville?*Even New York City Can?t Handle Real BRT ? Next City (http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/dont-feel-too-bad-nashville-even-new-york-city-cant-handle-real-brt)

Just the facts
04-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Question.

Brace yourself for the onslaught of why this can't be done in Oklahoma City even though the rest of the world has figured out how to do it.

Urban Pioneer
04-18-2014, 08:22 AM
You keep saying things like that about roundabouts and such. I am not against the idea of it but I want to see the actual engineering demonstrate that the specific space that we are writing about will handle both. Keep in mind that this intersection will require a switching mechanism and T split.

Urban Pioneer
04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I don't follow this thread too closely - so not sure if it was posted here - but saw this article and thought transit folks might find it interesting/chilling. Seems Oklahoma isn't the only state where legislatures have no problem meddling in civic affairs:

Don?t Feel Too Bad, Nashville?*Even New York City Can?t Handle Real BRT ? Next City (http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/dont-feel-too-bad-nashville-even-new-york-city-cant-handle-real-brt)

Yeah. One of our volunteers kept posting this stuff about the Koch Brothers and BRT on the streetcar Facebook page. I had to delete it because it was too political. But yeah, the Tennessee situation is a political cabal.

soonerguru
04-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Damn you. I saw that article but refused to post it anywhere for fear the tea-brained morons who make up the GOP in Oklahoma may read it.

CuatrodeMayo
04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah. One of our volunteers kept posting this stuff about the Koch Brothers and BRT on the streetcar Facebook page. I had to delete it because it was too political. But yeah, the Tennessee situation is a political cabal.It would be nice to eliminate the spam on the better boulevard page too...

Urbanized
04-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Well, politics aside, I thought the article offered some interesting explanations of the mechanics of center lane alignments vs. curbside, etc., for a casual observer like me. And again - political party affiliation aside - it's also another example of how these legislatures, who are currently hypersensitive to federal involvement in their backyards, don't give a second thought to sloppy special-interest legislation that hamstrings cities in their redevelopment efforts. It's hypocrisy to an extreme.

Teo9969
04-26-2014, 10:46 AM
By the way, we're going to invest in a climate controlled vehicle, yes? That alone will boost ridership for people moving about districts even though the entire core is very compact and in a walking culture walking from The Edge to LEVEL really is no big deal.

Urban Pioneer
04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes. Air Conditioning and heating will be paramount concerns later in the process. Tucson's cars have dual AC and window tinting.

catch22
04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
By the way, we're going to invest in a climate controlled vehicle, yes? That alone will boost ridership for people moving about districts even though the entire core is very compact and in a walking culture walking from The Edge to LEVEL really is no big deal.

It really isn't. For the past two H&8s I've been parking on the street over at 5th and Robinson and starting H and 8 off at Waffle Champion. It's a really easy and comfortable walk over to 12th and Walker, and it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes.

Spartan
04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
No it really isn't. You can only walk a mile when you have 15 min to kill, which is really never.

Well, politics aside, I thought the article offered some interesting explanations of the mechanics of center lane alignments vs. curbside, etc., for a casual observer like me. And again - political party affiliation aside - it's also another example of how these legislatures, who are currently hypersensitive to federal involvement in their backyards, don't give a second thought to sloppy special-interest legislation that hamstrings cities in their redevelopment efforts. It's hypocrisy to an extreme.

What's the link? I know that CEOs, Next American City, Atlantic Cities, etc have covered the TN situation as nauseum. It's odd that they've gotten urbanists defending brt now.

Teo9969
04-27-2014, 09:30 PM
No it really isn't. You can only walk a mile when you have 15 min to kill, which is really never.

?

Maybe if you saddle yourself with too many obligations. Plenty of people have 15 minutes to kill on a regular basis. And walking instead of taking vehicular transportation is a good way to get some exercise in that otherwise wouldn't happen.

But if it's 100°, I'm out. Same thing for significant rain or <32°

Urbanized
04-28-2014, 06:29 AM
...What's the link? I know that CEOs, Next American City, Atlantic Cities, etc have covered the TN situation as nauseum. It's odd that they've gotten urbanists defending brt now.

Well, this article wasn't really defending BRT. Mostly it was highlighting the legislative overreach.

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/dont-feel-too-bad-nashville-even-new-york-city-cant-handle-real-brt

Spartan
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
?

Maybe if you saddle yourself with too many obligations. Plenty of people have 15 minutes to kill on a regular basis. And walking instead of taking vehicular transportation is a good way to get some exercise in that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Downtowns aren't planned for people with lots of time to get from place to place. Everyone is over-extended these days.

Rover
04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
?

This is the difference between looking at public transit as an amusement and leisure alternative and looking at it as being vital infrastructure for commerce and urban lifestyle.

Spartan
04-30-2014, 03:59 PM
This is the difference between looking at public transit as an amusement and leisure alternative and looking at it as being vital infrastructure for commerce and urban lifestyle.

Well stated.

okcustu
05-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Jumping in a little late here. Agreed. If people in Minneapolis and people in Houston can use transit and walk places, Okies can too. It will take a paradigm shift no doubt and better sidewalks with shade.

OKCisOK4me
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
People in Minneapolis also have a helluva bicycle network for commuting as well. That's why I like the idea of Harvey, from Devon all the way to 36th being turned into a cycling path!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban Pioneer
05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
From Wednesday's Oklahoma Gazette by Ben Felder-

Transit dept. looks to hire streetcar manager

Oklahoma City’s public transportation department hopes to hire a streetcar operations manager this year as the city moves closer to constructing its first modern streetcar system downtown.

“It’s anticipated that [we] will run the operations of the streetcar,” said Rick Cain, director of OKC Public Transportation and Parking. “We would like to have somebody with the expertise to give us guidance in this area.”

The new streetcar operations manager position was included in the 2014-15 transit budget presented to the city council last week.

Not included in the budget were various expansions to current bus service. However, Cain gave the council a report on how much it would cost to expand bus service to midnight or increase frequency on some routes. For example, extending service hours for the city’s 12 central routes to midnight could cost an additional $1.5 million a year.

OKCisOK4me
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Place an ad in Portland.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Place an ad in Portland.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5No no no... we need to place an ad outside of General Motors in Detroit ;)

LakeEffect
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
From Wednesday's Oklahoma Gazette by Ben Felder-

Transit dept. looks to hire streetcar manager

Oklahoma City’s public transportation department hopes to hire a streetcar operations manager this year as the city moves closer to constructing its first modern streetcar system downtown.

“It’s anticipated that [we] will run the operations of the streetcar,” said Rick Cain, director of OKC Public Transportation and Parking. “We would like to have somebody with the expertise to give us guidance in this area.”

The new streetcar operations manager position was included in the 2014-15 transit budget presented to the city council last week.

Not included in the budget were various expansions to current bus service. However, Cain gave the council a report on how much it would cost to expand bus service to midnight or increase frequency on some routes. For example, extending service hours for the city’s 12 central routes to midnight could cost an additional $1.5 million a year.

Rick Cain? Director?

BDP
05-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Then why do people live in Edmond and Norman and work in Oklahoma City? Most people kill more than 15 minutes commuting everyday. Maybe that's why they don't have time to walk anywhere?

DoctorTaco
05-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Useful information:

What is a streetcar? - Everything you need to know about the streetcar craze - Vox (http://www.vox.com/cards/us-streetcar-trend-public-transportation/what-is-a-streetcar)

Spartan
05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Then why do people live in Edmond and Norman and work in Oklahoma City? Most people kill more than 15 minutes commuting everyday. Maybe that's why they don't have time to walk anywhere?

I'm talking about the ability to chose between spending 2 min or 15 min. We all know you do what you gotta do to get from point A to B.

On a side note I got an email from a Frank Roesler at ODOT about the public comment period extension. This was probably sent to everyone.

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Then why do people live in Edmond and Norman and work in Oklahoma City? Most people kill more than 15 minutes commuting everyday. Maybe that's why they don't have time to walk anywhere?I commute from Edmond to South OKC everyday and I have time to kill, but I'm only 20 so that might be a factor :p

shawnw
05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
also got that ODOT email

betts
05-31-2014, 02:35 PM
A very interesting article in the July 2014 issue of Trains magazine by Paul Grether called "A Streetcar Named Revival". I don't have online access to the article, but if you have access to the magazine it's very informative.

Urban Pioneer
06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Exactly what I was wondering.

I think that the reporter was confused or doesn't know. Rick is continuing on as a paid consultant as EMBARK continues its transition. I'm sure that it must be a very difficult transition as Rick handled management masterfully considering the limited resources available to Metro Transit and the parking garage construction on the COTPA side.

BDP
06-03-2014, 03:41 PM
I commute from Edmond to South OKC everyday and I have time to kill, but I'm only 20 so that might be a factor :p

As someone twice your age (holy crap, did I just type that!?), I can assure it that it is indeed a factor. : )

Urban Pioneer
06-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Rick Cain? Director?

Gazette printed a correction this week.

Urban Pioneer
06-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Useful information:

What is a streetcar? - Everything you need to know about the streetcar craze - Vox (http://www.vox.com/cards/us-streetcar-trend-public-transportation/what-is-a-streetcar)

This was a great find Dr. Taco! I posted it to the streetcar page on facebook. I think it will really help newcomers understand what it is that were doing in OKC.

UnFrSaKn
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Oklahoma Gazette News: Still on track (http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-21748-still-on-track.html)

Laramie
07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Oklahoma Gazette News: Still on track (http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-21748-still-on-track.html)

Good article by the Gazette on the wireless and overhead wires associated with the type of street car system the city will pursue. Just The Facts (resides in Florida) is a former resident who is familiar with the street car and commuter rail systems.

http://static.npaper-wehaa.com/pub-files/1218117144489afe1821058/pub/Oklahoma-Gazette-07-09-2014/lib/140478293653bb495800c86.jpg

Appears as though both (wires & wireless) will be integrated because of the bridge obstacles which will have to use wireless with the under paths. The city will take the safe route to move ahead with caution. The streetcar will be a jump start of what should give our city more appeal to those who use public transportation.

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

Urban Pioneer
07-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Ben Felder did a great job researching, interviewing, and analyzing this. He by far may be the best unbiased reporter the Gazette has ever had since Ben Fenwick. Keep hiring Bens!

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I vote for no overhead wires.

Urban Pioneer
07-09-2014, 11:06 PM
There is no legal way for us to pursue no wires. Were getting wires.

Plutonic Panda
07-09-2014, 11:32 PM
There is no legal way for us to pursue no wires. Were getting wires.has that been decided? I wasn't aware of that. Also, why do we have to legally get wires?