View Full Version : Streetcar

Just the facts
07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
One question - is LN still the largest employer downtown? I thought he was no longer involved with Devon in any official capacity.

betts
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Very bizarre statement.

How could it NOT promote development??

Especially in Midtown where it's too far to walk back and forth from downtown (for most). I think Midtown will benefit more than anywhere.

That was the party line when this process began. We were told by ADG that they couldn't determine whether a streetcar had any economic development potential, despite data given by multiple committee members and interested individuals. That why the convention center and the whitewater park were moved up on the timeline and the streetcar was moved back and split into two phases. To admit that there is real economic development potential associated with a streetcar would call the entire timeline maneuvering into question.

Of course just about everyone but Mr. Nichols has moved too far in the other direction, IMO. I think city/citizen serving is more important than economic development. We'll get that as a side benefit regardless.

CaptDave
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
That is true betts. What happened to the streetcar being a quality of life project for the citizens that are paying for it? Economic development always follows transit so when did economic development become the overriding consideration?

BoulderSooner
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
One question - is LN still the largest employer downtown? I thought he was no longer involved with Devon in any official capacity.

he is still the chairman

Pete
07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification, betts.

However, it seem strange (and possibly telling) that Nichols even brought this up at this point, since the timelines are already set.

From reading that article, you get the impression he doesn't see much benefit to the streetcar in general and since so many people follow his lead, that's a bit concerning.

Just the facts
07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks. For some reason I was think he had resigned that position or had announced he was going to resign. Maybe I am thinking of the CEO position.

Just the facts
07-18-2013, 02:12 PM

However, it seem strange (and possibly telling) that Nichols even brought this up at this point, since the timelines are already set.

From reading that article, you get the impression he doesn't see much benefit to the streetcar in general and since so many people follow his lead, that's a bit concerning.

We are going to have to face reality - we are all just hitchhikers in the LNwagon. So long as he is going towards our destination it is all great, but when he turns down a deserted road and hacks us all to bits there isn't much we can do. Meanwhile, the other hitchhikers in the car are unaware of the hacking, or at least unfazed by it, or heck some even revel in it.

Pete
07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Ed Shadid got it completely right when he dubbed Nichols a "benevolent plutocrat".

The central point being that even if someone means well, it's very risky (and possibly even unethical) for any one person to have so much power.

I truly believe Nichols is driven by a love for downtown OKC but that doesn't mean he's always right. And when he isn't, the power and influence he wields make it too easy to bypass some of the typical checks and balances.

Another thing Ed said: "Even though Nichols may just be one member of a committee, everyone is very aware of the billionaire in the room." And of course, Nichols is on and/or chairs a bunch of different civic committees.

OKCisOK4me
07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Sounds like Nichols needs to tour some US cities where streetcars have the overhead wires so he can see how its effects on its surroundings are not a bad thing. I think he's pioneering for natural gas powered vehicles....duh.

As for his thought on development...take that crack away from him...

warreng88
07-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Okla. City panel passes on new streetcar route
Published: July 18, 2013

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An Oklahoma City commission charged with helping oversee a plan to revitalize the city's midtown area still has not approved a projected route for a streetcar in the area.

The Journal Record reported (www.journalrecord.com ) Thursday that the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority Board of Commissioners has declined to vote on a streetcar route.

Commissioner Larry Nichols says has concerns about a streetcar connected with trolley wires, which he described as “an incredible step backwards.”

The city of Oklahoma City has not yet selected a design for the streetcar; rather it is working on the route first. Work on the route is expected to start by 2015.

The commission did approve a plan to add a bicycle friendly lane on Harvey Avenue and more street parking in the Midtown area.

Okla. City panel passes on new streetcar route | News OK (http://newsok.com/okla.-city-panel-passes-on-new-streetcar-route/article/3863508)

Larry OKC
07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Just my personal opinion here, but a Streetcar without overhead wires isn't really a Streetcar any more. Just take away the tracks too while you are at it and then you have the rubber tired trolleys! Sort of like Bumper Cars without that metal pole on the back and the plate skimming across the power grid in the ceiling. it just isn't the same if you take them away.

Rover
07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
No, it sounds like LN should resign his activities and let someone else take more of a leadership roll. Let's see how Ed Shaddid gets things done and rallies support.

Let me know how that works out.

Rover
07-18-2013, 06:13 PM
What is the drop dead date for ordering rails and cars to make the stated timeframe? When does the actual car type have to be decided on?

Just the facts
07-18-2013, 06:16 PM
The overhead lines do more than just provide power. They are a visual identifier that a streetcar route is there and they delineate the path. The poles them selves help define public space and create a sense of place by conforming to transect zone they are in.

Pete
07-18-2013, 06:28 PM
No, it sounds like LN should resign his activities and let someone else take more of a leadership roll. Let's see how Ed Shaddid gets things done and rallies support.

This is nothing more than proposing an absurd extreme to argue against when no one has come close to suggesting it.

OKC is very lucky to have Nichols and he will certainly continue to play an important role; arguably doing more for downtown than any single person. He deserves and continues to receive a tremendous amount of credit.

That does not mean he's some sort of omniscient God that everyone should bow down to, especially in matters where he has no formal training or specific expertise.

It DOES mean that with this ample power and influence, he has an ethical responsibility to not abuse it, even in the pursuit of what he perceives as 'right'. And his ubiquitous, overwhelming presence should not be allowed to disrupt the fiduciary responsibility and democratic process of these various committees and decision making bodies.

Tier2City
07-18-2013, 07:12 PM
For the last couple weeks all I've been told is that HH would oppose, even sue the city if a streetcar was proposed up Walker. I've had several conversations with HH residents, including board members and HH homeowners for 40 years and they love the idea.

Do you think the Heritage Hills Board will be able to make a formal representation to the subcommittee and the MAPS Board? From what I've seen and heard the Heritage Hills protesters at the subcommittee and Board meetings have been uniformly vocal and very negative.

I've encouraged them to do that very thing. They were holding a meeting tonight to discuss the streetcar. They've formed some kind of neighborhood alliance with the 4 major historical neighborhoods, UpTown 23rd, and a couple others as I understand. The goal is to really bring focus on the 23rd Street corridor and unify some of the regional objectives. This is how it was explained to me just today and so please know that I might have misheard some part of that.

Do we know how that meeting went? Did the Heritage Hills Board formally approve supporting the streetcar going along Walker from 13th to 23rd? Will someone from their Board be coming to next Wednesday's Streetcar Subcommittee meeting?

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Proposed streetcar route worries Urban Renewal Authority
by Molly M. Fleming
Published: July 17th, 2013

Urban Renewal Authority Board of Commissioners had the simple task of passing its revised Midtown Urban Renewal Plan on Wednesday, but the organization did so without approving its streetcar route.

“I’m not prepared to say that streetcars in general will promote development in that area,” said Larry Nichols, OCURA board commissioner.

Nichols said he was concerned that the streetcar would be connected on catenary or trolley wire, the latter of which involves a number of high wire lines.

“I don’t feel very good about it at all,” he said. “I think it would be an incredible step backwards,” referencing the work the city has done to improve the look and quality of the streets.

The city of Oklahoma City has not chosen a design for the streetcar; rather it is working on the route first. Work on the route is expected to start by 2015 and the car route is planned to be operating by 2017.

Board member Mark Beffort said he did not want the board to adopt the route because he was afraid it would send a negative message to those who are working to create the route.

He said he has not attended the meetings and he does not want the board to appear as if it has a better idea of the route than those who have studied it.

“It just seems wrong to me that we’re committing ourselves to a specific route,” he said. “We need to have the right type of streetcar. I’m not ready to say I agree with this route.”

OCURA Director Cathy O’Connor said the Midtown route was referenced by Jacobs Engineering when they created the four routes that are being evaluated.

Downtown OKC Inc. Executive Director Jane Jenkins is on the streetcar subcommittee and said three of the four routes are similar to the route in the Midtown Renewal Plan.

“We are not anywhere close to finalizing any of this,” Jenkins said. Jenkins said the Automobile Alley board nearly passed an ordinance that stated they would not support a streetcar with the catenary wires.

Leslie Batchelor, counsel for the board, said she has heard from entities downtown that are excited about the proposed streetcar system.

“There is a population that supports it,” Nichols said. “And there is a population that doesn’t and doesn’t go to those meetings.”

The plan approved by OCURA did include changing Harvey Avenue to a bicycle-friendly lane, with an addition of bike lanes and signage on the street.

Also included in the plan is an addition of more street parking in Midtown.

Larry Nichols comes across like a major Richard in this article. Seriously. Perhaps he can descend from the 50th floor and have a discussion with people involved with the project instead of tossing out these red herrings.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:29 PM
This is ignorant and embarrassing, there's just not much else that can be said. Not just one person. This whole situation of not believing that the streetcar will really upgrade the blocks around the route. This is what happens when people influencing our development from the top have never been to more progressive cities and still idolize Dallas as a role model.

Never forget that Larry Nichols' idea of the perfect city is Houston -- with a side of Dallas. That is who he is. We don't need any of that big-city Euro stuff here.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Very bizarre statement.

How could it NOT promote development??

Especially in Midtown where it's too far to walk back and forth from downtown (for most). I think Midtown will benefit more than anywhere.

He may know a lot about how to extract oil from the ground, but he's not a very sophisticated person, clearly. I worked with him on economic development issues several years ago and he has a very myopic view of the world. It took years before Devon would even offer benefits to gay domestic partners. He's not cutting edge, and while a fairly nice guy, he's no saint. He certainly has ZERO experience to qualify him as an urban planner. None. He has money and that's about it.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:36 PM

I'm not concerned. Screw him. He obviously is clueless about it but it was voted on by the voters of this city. If he has a problem with it, there's a place we can shove that convention center. I'm ready to play some hardball if he starts screwing with the streetcar, but it will never come to that. Let us never forget that his treasured convention center was a listing, bloody, near-corpse that the streetcar, park and sidewalks dragged across the MAPS finish line. Nobody wanted it but him, Mike Carrier, and his minions. To the rest of OKC, it was an acceptable compromise we could put up with provided we received some quality of life projects we supported. Don't ever forget this, and don't let his mindless, empty rhetoric confuse matters.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Ed Shadid got it completely right when he dubbed Nichols a "benevolent plutocrat".

The central point being that even if someone means well, it's very risky (and possibly even unethical) for any one person to have so much power.

I truly believe Nichols is driven by a love for downtown OKC but that doesn't mean he's always right. And when he isn't, the power and influence he wields make it too easy to bypass some of the typical checks and balances.

Another thing Ed said: "Even though Nichols may just be one member of a committee, everyone is very aware of the billionaire in the room." And of course, Nichols is on and/or chairs a bunch of different civic committees.

Shadid is right. Except he doesn't mention that he's a multimillionaire, and that he's just as if not more likely to throw his money at people he opposes. These folks are not benevolent. They may do nice things, and be nice to you in public, and kiss their wives (if they have them), but they are about power.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 07:42 PM
This is nothing more than proposing an absurd extreme to argue against when no one has come close to suggesting it.

OKC is very lucky to have Nichols and he will certainly continue to play an important role; arguably doing more for downtown than any single person. He deserves and continues to receive a tremendous amount of credit.

That does not mean he's some sort of omniscient God that everyone should bow down to, especially in matters where he has no formal training or specific expertise.

It DOES mean that with this ample power and influence, he has an ethical responsibility to not abuse it, even in the pursuit of what he perceives as 'right'. And his ubiquitous, overwhelming presence should not be allowed to disrupt the fiduciary responsibility and democratic process of these various committees and decision making bodies.

Rover has been a Nichols sycophant for years.

Rover
07-18-2013, 09:12 PM

My remarks were in response to JTF': "We are going to have to face reality - we are all just hitchhikers in the LNwagon. So long as he is going towards our destination it is all great, but when he turns down a deserted road and hacks us all to bits there isn't much we can do. Meanwhile, the other hitchhikers in the car are unaware of the hacking, or at least unfazed by it, or heck some even revel in it."

No one, most of all me, is holding LN up and putting him on a pedestal. If he is too powerful, he should step back from being too involved. You can't have it both ways. Letting him have too much power does indeed raise the risk of falling too much prey to his likes and dislikes. Not having him involved may cause a slowdown in momentum, or maybe not. We all have to decide which is the greater risk. If he has violated his ethical responsibilities, as you imply in the last paragraph that he may be doing, then it is time to limit his power. I have no problem with supporting that. However, having a different opinion or viewpoint doesn't constitute an ethical violation. If merely his opinions corrupt the process then we must seriously look at limiting his involvement. Do you think he is not allowing the democratic process? Does he ride roughshod over the committees and are they puppets?

Pete
07-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Letting him have too much power does indeed raise the risk of falling too much prey to his likes and dislikes. Not having him involved may cause a slowdown in momentum, or maybe not. We all have to decide which is the greater risk.

This -- like most issues -- does not need to be framed in simplistic, either/other terms.

There is a win/win middle ground and part of that is having people in the community stand up when they feel things are out of equilibrium.

I don't always agree with Ed Shadid but him raising this issue was part of that process.

Rover
07-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Rover has been a Nichols sycophant for years.

No. But I do appreciate his dedication and involvement in this city. Others seem to resent his involvement and his effectiveness. There are many many other in this city I admire because of their involvement too.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 09:28 PM
No. But I do appreciate his dedication and involvement in this city. Others seem to resent his involvement and his effectiveness. There are many many other in this city I admire because of their involvement too.

I too admire and appreciate what he has done for OKC. We agree on this. He is human, however, and some of his power has gone to his head. He has pushed against the overhead wires on the streetcar from the outset for what seem to be mere aesthetic reasons. While he has a right to an opinion, his outsized presence on numerous OKC boards gives him a bigger stick to wield. Gaylord is dead. We don't need any more dictators.

Pete
07-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Others seem to resent his involvement and his effectiveness.

Another strawman.

Exactly who are these "others" you're talking about? Virtually everyone here (and elsewhere) has expressed appreciation for what he's helped accomplish.

Raising questions about the extent of his influence is not the same as resentment for his involvement.

Rover
07-18-2013, 09:41 PM
I too admire and appreciate what he has done for OKC. We agree on this. He is human, however, and some of his power has gone to his head. He has pushed against the overhead wires on the streetcar from the outset for what seem to be mere aesthetic reasons. While he has a right to an opinion, his outsized presence on numerous OKC boards gives him a bigger stick to wield. Gaylord is dead. We don't need any more dictators.

So, my question is, how do you and others propose to deal with this concept that his opinion carries too much weight? Take him off committees? Don't let him express his opinions? Are there things he is doing to manipulate the votes? Is he giving inducements or implying inducements to other members to vote a certain way? What specifically do you think keeps his ego and power ambition in check? When you say he has "pushed" against wires, has he done it in an unethical way? Do you believe he is intentionally undermining the project and the process?

If there is a problem with LN, how do we solve it?

CaptDave
07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
The only answer to that is for someone on a committee, board, or city department refuse to adopt his preference for something. Then watch and see what happens. If he accepts the decision and moves on (as I think he would), then no problem. But if the person, persons, or group suffers any adverse action as a result of publicly challenging or denying his preferred outcome, that changes everything.

I think most people - including those of us who respect Mr Nichols' accomplishments - are concerned our city leadership has a tendency to bend to the will of people like Mr Nichols even if their desires are often not recommended by experts or preferred by a majority of the public. Honestly that is more of an indictment of those who exhibit that sort of sycophancy than a criticism of Mr Nichols' influence and participation in civic activities.

I probably could have worded that better but it is late.......

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Proposed streetcar route worries Urban Renewal Authority
by Molly M. Fleming
Published: July 17th, 2013

Urban Renewal Authority Board of Commissioners had the simple task of passing its revised Midtown Urban Renewal Plan on Wednesday, but the organization did so without approving its streetcar route.

“I’m not prepared to say that streetcars in general will promote development in that area,” said Larry Nichols, OCURA board commissioner.

Nichols said he was concerned that the streetcar would be connected on catenary or trolley wire, the latter of which involves a number of high wire lines.

“I don’t feel very good about it at all,” he said. “I think it would be an incredible step backwards,” referencing the work the city has done to improve the look and quality of the streets.

The city of Oklahoma City has not chosen a design for the streetcar; rather it is working on the route first. Work on the route is expected to start by 2015 and the car route is planned to be operating by 2017.

Board member Mark Beffort said he did not want the board to adopt the route because he was afraid it would send a negative message to those who are working to create the route.

He said he has not attended the meetings and he does not want the board to appear as if it has a better idea of the route than those who have studied it.

“It just seems wrong to me that we’re committing ourselves to a specific route,” he said. “We need to have the right type of streetcar. I’m not ready to say I agree with this route.”

OCURA Director Cathy O’Connor said the Midtown route was referenced by Jacobs Engineering when they created the four routes that are being evaluated.

Downtown OKC Inc. Executive Director Jane Jenkins is on the streetcar subcommittee and said three of the four routes are similar to the route in the Midtown Renewal Plan.

“We are not anywhere close to finalizing any of this,” Jenkins said. Jenkins said the Automobile Alley board nearly passed an ordinance that stated they would not support a streetcar with the catenary wires.

Leslie Batchelor, counsel for the board, said she has heard from entities downtown that are excited about the proposed streetcar system.

“There is a population that supports it,” Nichols said. “And there is a population that doesn’t and doesn’t go to those meetings.”

The plan approved by OCURA did include changing Harvey Avenue to a bicycle-friendly lane, with an addition of bike lanes and signage on the street.

Also included in the plan is an addition of more street parking in Midtown.

I've just reread this article. Molly Fleming may be a nice, charming person but this is not an impressive piece of work. It is hackneyed and disjointed, and raises more questions than it answers.

After rereading it, it seems Beffort is saying that he thinks it's not OCURA's role to choose a route, bowing to the efforts of the streetcar subcommittee and the consultants. Also, it is interesting that the passing reference Jane Jenkins makes to an Automobile Alley vote apparently suggests they chose to NOT vote against overhead wires. If true, that would indicate the denizens of Auto Alley voted that overhead wires are acceptable by default. The final question involves Cathy O'Connor. Was she trying to get OCURA to vote for its own route independent of the options presented by the streetcar consultants? These are all questions that come to mind after reading this article. Questions for which there is no clear answer.

The only thing that is crystal clear is that Larry Nichols by God hates overhead wires.

It is a vague work, to be charitable.

Pete
07-18-2013, 10:23 PM

You start by challenging some of the things he says and some of his positions, as we are doing here.

And if he takes a position that many oppose, then you stand up to him in the committee or at public meetings.

You can do all this in a respectful manner and without discounting his ample contributions to the betterment of OKC.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
So, my question is, how do you and others propose to deal with this concept that his opinion carries too much weight? Take him off committees? Don't let him express his opinions? Are there things he is doing to manipulate the votes? Is he giving inducements or implying inducements to other members to vote a certain way? What specifically do you think keeps his ego and power ambition in check? When you say he has "pushed" against wires, has he done it in an unethical way? Do you believe he is intentionally undermining the project and the process?

These are reasonable questions. Regarding the overhead wires, he has thrown his opinion around, and some would argue his opinion is given more merit based on his station in life. Is it wrong for him to express an opinion? Absolutely not. In fact, his opinion on the matter has been respected, because I know for a fact that the streetcar subcommittee moved to look at other options because of it. That is why I'm perturbed by his dickish statements at the OCURA meeting. He's already had his hearing and has been respected by the streetcar subcommittee, but he shows zero respect for them with these comments, when they are not even merited because the subcommittee has already responded to them by looking at other options (none of which have yet been decided). It is certainly not cool by any measure, unless you think everything "King Larry" says is gospel.

To add, while his tower is a magnificent piece of architecture, the fake-o rock fountain at the Sheridan-Robinson entrance to Myriad Gardens is a colossal Disneyesque atrocity of epic proportions. It looks like a feature that should accompany the Runaway Mine Train at Six Flags (and that is when it is working). Was the community consulted about this embarrassing design conceit? Of course not. On balance, the Myriad Gardens makeover is a masterpiece, but that element is a cringe-worthy joke. Have I ever commented on it before? No, because, on balance, I think the Myriad Gardens makeover is great. It would be entirely reasonable to compare his aesthetic aversion to wires with my aversion to his fake waterfall, don't you think? And yet, the difference is I shut my piehole about his fake waterfall and he goes off about wires in a forum that has no relevance to the discussion.

Urban Pioneer
07-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Exactly. There was actually more good than bad in that article. It just lacks clarity. The LN wires issue is not new. That has been going on for years.

OKCisOK4me
07-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I was told that when LN was a wee lad in the industry that it was his two cents that downtown OKC didn't need any new skyscrapers nor would one ever be built. I wouldn't take everything he says as if its the new 11th commandment.

Doug Loudenback
07-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Larry Nichols is something of an enigma.

On the one hand, we love what he has done for our city with Devon as well as the company's contributions along the river and otherwise, and continues to do. We like, if not adore, all of that he has done and will likely do. I am in that group.

On the other, most of us (at least, I'd suppose) were less than impressed with his anonymous and relentless campaigning in the city council elections in 2011 (masked under the name of the Committee for Oklahoma City Momentum). I am in that group, as well.

In the earlier days, his public appearance appeared to be humble, just a nice guy, maybe even "one of the people." But closer to today, he seems to have embraced more of a swagger which connotes, "I am something special ... listen to me and, if you find it convenient, do as I suggest." Always with politeness but coupled with an unmistakeable directive.

Now, to be sure, there is nothing new about power brokers being active in Oklahoma City's history. Those guys date from immediately after the days of the Land Run (e.g., Henry Overholser, C.J. Jones) and have continued beyond that time. More, I would quickly agree that those early day power brokers have made the city what it is today. I'm including Anton Classen and John Shartel in that group, among others.

The thing is, whether it be because of the internet or whatever, the public has increasingly "found" itself as a viable source for decision-making input and has made more of an input into municipal decisions which in earlier times were perhaps solely decided by a cloistered if not secretive few. Public input in contemporary times may be an input that today's power brokers aren't particularly friendly to, or, worse, even aware of or even care about ... even less, about such contemporary input, the power brokers may not have developed an acumen in dealing with and responding to the same.

In other words, does a historical power broker (e.g., the Chamber, Nichols, etc.) even have a sense that the political world is different than it was 50 years ago? My sense is that they do not perceive that times have changed. Whether they are right or wrong in that regard is the question.

My 2 cents.

soonerguru
07-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Nichols is something of an enigma.

On the one hand, we love what he has done for our city with Devon as well as the company's contributions along the river and otherwise, and continues to do. We like, if not adore, all of that he has done and will likely do.

On the other, most of us (at least, I'd suppose) were less than impressed with his anonymous and relentless campaigning in the city council elections in 2011 (masked under the name of the Committee for Oklahoma City Momentum).

In the earlier days, his public appearance appeared to be humble, just a nice guy, maybe even "one of the people." But closer to today, he seems to have embraced more of a swagger which connotes, "I am something special ... listen to me and, if you find it convenient, do as I suggest." Always with politeness but an unmistakeable directive.

Now, to be sure, there is nothing new about power brokers being active in Oklahoma City's history. Those guys date from immediately after the days of the Land Run (e.g., Henry Overholser, C.J. Jones) and have continued beyond that time.

The thing is, whether it be because of the internet or whatever, the public has more of an input into municipal decisions which in earlier times were perhaps decided by a cloistered if not secretive few. Public input in contemporary times may be an input that today's power brokers aren't particularly friendly to, or, worse, even aware of or care about ... even less, about such contemporary input, that they have developed the acumen in dealing with and responding to.

In other words, does a historical power broker (e.g., the Chamber, Nichols, etc.) even have a sense that the political world is different than it was 50 years ago? My sense is that they do not perceive that times have changed. Whether they are right or wrong in that regard is the question.

My 2 cents.

Great points. I think they're very aware of it but it pisses them off to the extreme. Democracy is a messy enterprise. "Power brokers," as you anoint them, like control, and a forum for public input threatens this control to say the least. They still have outsize influence, but they cannot control the messaging as much as they would like. I'm amazed the Internet hasn't been shut down yet.

As for Nichols, he did cultivate a 'humble' persona. I recall hearing all of these OKC insiders braying about the beat up car he allegedly drove and the coach air tickets he allegedly purchased. He may have been that guy. I have no idea. And I really don't care if he drives a luxury car and flies first class; that's his prerogative. But a billionaire will never be "one of the people."

Doug Loudenback
07-18-2013, 11:36 PM
As for Nichols, he did cultivate a 'humble' persona. I recall hearing all of these OKC insiders braying about the beat up car he allegedly drove and the coach air tickets he allegedly purchased. He may have been that guy. I have no idea. And I really don't care if he drives a luxury car and flies first class; that's his prerogative. But a billionaire will never be "one of the people."
I guess that I'm still a hopeless romantic, in a sense. I'd presuppose that those with great wealth would have all of the trappings of their wealth, and I see nothing wrong with that, envy aside. But, I do think that it is possible that a billionaire and a common citizen have the capability of sharing a common vision for the city. This part may be easier for the common man than the billionaire, I would suppose. But, that said, it is still possible for the very wealthy and the rest of us to have a common vision for the city.

If any millionaire/billionaire who lives in Oklahoma City has that capacity, I'm hoping that it is Larry Nichols because I think that he has the greatest potential to "be good" and "do good." I do think it possible that such a person "can be one of the people." It might not be easy to do, but I think that it's possible.

blangtang
07-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Mr Doug L-

please keep posting- we love it :)

Doug Loudenback
07-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks, blangtang. I'll keep posting.

soonerguru
07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
I guess that I'm still a hopeless romantic, in a sense. I'd presuppose that those with great wealth would have all of the trappings of their wealth, and I see nothing wrong with that, envy aside. But, I do think that it is possible that a billionaire and a common citizen have the capability of sharing a common vision for the city. This part may be easier for the common man than the billionaire, I would suppose. But, that said, it is still possible for the very wealthy and the rest of us to have a common vision for the city.

If any millionaire/billionaire who lives in Oklahoma City has that capacity, I'm hoping that it is Larry Nichols because I think that he has the greatest potential to "be good" and "do good." I do think it possible that such a person "can be one of the people." It might not be easy to do, but I think that it's possible.

I cannot say if you're a romantic. I consider myself an idealist, and I've often wondered what it would be like to have more money to spend than I could in a lifetime. And while I share your optimism that very wealthy people can listen to and even understand what "everyman" folk think, they simply cannot relate. Neither you nor I can make decisions that affect the lives and livelihoods of thousands -- or even tens of thousands -- of people. In fact, short of this forum, our small circles of friends, the neighborhood coffee shop, and our vote at the polls, our ability to affect change is limited. We are not surrounded by admirers hanging on our every word. We do not have the politicians (whom we personally bankroll) eating out of our palms.

Similarly, Mr. Nichols doesn't ever have to worry about paying a light bill, having a medical complication bankrupt him, finding the means to send his kids to college, etc. And he would never be able to understand what it's like to not have the influence he does. He cannot relate. He can pay lip service, and even be a benevolent person, but he can never relate to our experience, nor us to his. It is what it is.

To clarify, I said a billionaire could never be "one of the people." This does not mean that a billionaire and an average Joe cannot embrace a similar vision for our city.

OKCisOK4me
07-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Soonerguru,

I vote for sending you up against Larry Nichols. Do ya mind if we work on a presentation? I'll work the slideshow and you give him all of our 'two cents'. Should equal out to $500 by the time it's all said and done...

soonerguru
07-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Soonerguru,

I vote for sending you up against Larry Nichols. Do ya mind if we work on a presentation? I'll work the slideshow and you give him all of our 'two cents'. Should equal out to $500 by the time it's all said and done...

LOL. I have self confidence but I think I'm more effective just where I am.

Just the facts
07-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Here is the deal. Larry Nichols has been entrusted by public officials to paticipate on many civic boards. In this capacity he is supposed to do what is in the best interest of the people of Oklahoma City, but in the case of the streecar he has instead opted to look out for the shareholder of Devon Energy by pushing an experimanetal (if not financially unreasonable) natural gas powered streetcar. He is our own version of 1940's GM, Firestone, and National City Lines, manipulating public mass transit - not to make it better, but to make his company more profitable. He has sold out the people of Main St OKC for his shareholders on Wall Street on this issue. He should be ashamed.

OKCTalker
07-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Here is the deal. Larry Nichols has been entrusted by public officials to paticipate on many civic boards. In this capacity he is supposed to do what is in the best interest of the people of Oklahoma City, but in the case of the streecar he has instead opted to look out for the shareholder of Devon Energy by pushing an experimanetal (if not financially unreasonable) natural gas powered streetcar. He is our own version of 1940's GM, Firestone, and National City Lines, manipulating public mass transit - not to make it better, but to make his company more profitable. He has sold out the people of Main St OKC for his shareholders on Wall Street on this issue. He should be ashamed.

So Larry Nichols does something you disagree with and he's "sold out the people of...OKC for his shareholders on Wall Street?" Seriously?

OKCTalker
07-19-2013, 07:21 AM
To clarify, I said a billionaire could never be "one of the people." This does not mean that a billionaire and an average Joe cannot embrace a similar vision for our city.

The difference as it relates to our city and the ability to get things done, is that an accomplished and visionary leader is more likely to succeed than the average Joe. Accomplished and visionary people tend to accumulate wealth along the way. Goes with the saying, "The harder I work the luckier I get."

catch22
07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Larry Nichols is offering his opinion on the streetcar just as every single one of us have. I encourage him to share his opinion. His opinion and my opinion do not align on this issue. That is okay. I have faith in the process that the experts, the citizen committee, and the city council will make the correct decisions. My opinion probably won't be reflected in all of the decisions those bodies make and neither will Larry Nichols'. The bodies will make decisions over broader input and not narrow input of "what does catch22 want?" Or "what does Larry Nichols want?"

We are entering the phase of development where everyone is providing last minute input. I still have faith that this will all work out.

Rover
07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Wow. That streetcar must use a LOT of gas.

I hear reasonable debate about LN's influence, but let's not be paranoid and hysterical.. It doesn't help the cause.

AP
07-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Larry Nichols is offering his opinion on the streetcar just as every single one of us have. I encourage him to share his opinion. His opinion and my opinion do not align on this issue. That is okay. I have faith in the process that the experts, the citizen committee, and the city council will make the correct decisions. My opinion probably won't be reflected in all of the decisions those bodies make and neither will Larry Nichols'. The bodies will make decisions over broader input and not narrow input of "what does catch22 want?" Or "what does Larry Nichols want?"

We are entering the phase of development where everyone is providing last minute input. I still have faith that this will all work out.

I think it's far more likely that what they decide will be far more closely aligned with Larry Nichols' opinion than yours. Powerful men get what they want.

catch22
07-19-2013, 07:56 AM
I think it's far more likely that what they decide will be far more closely aligned with Larry Nichols' opinion than yours. Powerful men get what they want.

I disagree.

Just the facts
07-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Wow. That streetcar must use a LOT of gas.

I hear reasonable debate about LN's influence, but let's not be paranoid and hysterical.. It doesn't help the cause.

What LN is wanting to do is use OKC taxpayer money to fund his research and developement and proof of concept. If he wants a natural gas powered streetcar that he can market to the rest of the world he should go do that on his own dime and submit a bid to the city when RFPs are sent out.

CaptDave
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
So Larry Nichols does something you disagree with and he's "sold out the people of...OKC for his shareholders on Wall Street?" Seriously?

I think some of the frustration may stem from the fact that Mr Nichols and the chamber are getting their convention center primarily because more popular projects like the streetcar carried the MAPS3 vote. (Not griping about logrolling or the process, that is another debate.) Many people think the selected location for the CC is a poor choice but have conceded it is not going to change because it is where Mr Nichols wants it. I think many people would like them to play with their shiny new toy and leave the streetcar alone. Of course he can offer his opinion on the streetcar like any of us, but do you think if we had hundreds of people show up to a MAPS CC meeting asking for the location to be changed (based on solid reasons and not merely opinion) anyone would listen?

Let the experts hired by the city and people who have invested thousands of hours into making the streetcar successful carry far more influence than one person who regards the streetcar basically as an amusement park ride. I hope catch22 and UP are correct in placing their faith in the process.

CaptDave
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
What LN is wanting to do is use OKC taxpayer money to fund his research and developement and proof of concept. If he wants a natural gas powered streetcar that he can market to the rest of the world he should go do that on his own dime and submit a bid to the city when RFPs are sent out.

I have only heard NG power for the streetcar mentioned in passing. Usually I hear more about hybrid systems with battery or capacitor energy storage systems that permit off wire operation for part of the route. Some sort of capacitive system may be necessary to get under the BNSF viaduct but I am not 100% sure on that. Putting an internal combustion engine in the streetcar vehicles would be a huge mistake - it would negate some of the primary advantages of electric streetcars over buses. The low noise and lack of any emissions are two of the attributes that make streetcars popular and effective.

I think natural gas can be an important component of mass transit however. Replace every diesel burning bus with modern LNG powered models. This is proven technology that has several local benefits. As the streetcar system expands, build a gas turbine power plant to provide electrical power to the system. Sell the excess power to a coop, OG&E, or to the city. This would have broad appeal - it would use one of Oklahoma's natural resources effectively, it would acknowledge the importance of the energy companies based here, and it would appeal to even hard core environmentalists who often shift the debate to the effects of electricity generated by burning coal. Gas turbine power plants offer several advantages and we should maximize the use of our homegrown industry and resources.

Just the facts
07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Well, if LN is thinking of doing something like the streetcars in Bordeaux, FR that use an imbedded 3rd rail to avoid using over headline lines then that cost 300% to 600% more per mile. If he is wanting to go trackless we call that a bus and without the permanence of rail infrastructure there is no TOD - so if that is what he has in mind then he would be correct in assuming that the streetcar won't produce any economic benefit.

No track + no overhead wire = bus

Is this what LN has in mind?

http://www.sfu.ca/person/dearmond/argu/Nancy_291007.jpeg

hoya
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Say what you want about Larry Nichols. He is a smart man. Pushing for a natural gas streetcar is too obviously self-serving. He's not going to do that. Now, powerful people didn't get that way by sitting meekly in the corner and not pushing for their ideas. LN clearly has a vision for this city and he's pushing it hard. Nothing wrong with that. I have a vision for this city and I'll push for it too. Of course I'm not a billionaire (hell, at the end of the month I'm not even a hundredaire). But he pushed for Project 180 and it clearly made the city look a lot nicer. I think he envisions the streetcar in his mind and says "what a bunch of ugly wires for a toy". His opinion has its place, but I haven't seen any evidence of abuse of his position yet.

CaptDave
07-19-2013, 09:21 AM
My understanding is Mr Nichols opposes overhead catenary mainly for aesthetic reasons. Third rail has not been discussed at any of the subcommittee meetings I have been able to attend. I only hear rubber tire trolley from obviously uninformed people.

Earlier you hit on one of the main advantages of overhear wire systems - it gives an instantly recognizable route marker. Even though the modern catenary is relatively unobtrusive, if one is looking for the streetcar, it is easily located from a couple blocks away.

Just the facts
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Maybe it would help us all if LN just said what kind of streetcar setup he prefers. 18 months ago I said the only thing the street subcommittee will get to do is pick the color. It looks like that is how it is turning out.

CaptDave
07-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Say what you want about Larry Nichols. He is a smart man. Pushing for a natural gas streetcar is too obviously self-serving. He's not going to do that. Now, powerful people didn't get that way by sitting meekly in the corner and not pushing for their ideas. LN clearly has a vision for this city and he's pushing it hard. Nothing wrong with that. I have a vision for this city and I'll push for it too. Of course I'm not a billionaire (hell, at the end of the month I'm not even a hundredaire). But he pushed for Project 180 and it clearly made the city look a lot nicer. I think he envisions the streetcar in his mind and says "what a bunch of ugly wires for a toy". His opinion has its place, but I haven't seen any evidence of abuse of his position yet.

The bolded sentence is why I responded so strongly to his statements. I think he does regard the MAPS Streetcar as an amusement park ride and not much more. I see it much differently and the streetcar will not be successful if it is designed and operated like "a toy".

OKCTalker
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe it would help us all if LN just said what kind of streetcar setup he prefers. 18 months ago I said the only thing the street subcommittee will get to do is pick the color. It looks like that is how it is turning out.

Members of boards, commissions, trusts, councils, authorities, etc. typically don't say what they want because that's not their job. They merely get to vote up or down on what is proposed by applicants. And that's as it should be. They may express opinions about certain elements of an application ("I like this because ___" or "I don't like that because___"), but they can't - and shouldn't - paint themselves into a corner with an official preference ("Bring me something without overhead wires and you've got my vote.").

CuatrodeMayo
07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
The likely scenario in my mind is this:

When a "wireless" option is compared to a traditional, overhead-wired streetcar on a cost basis, the only way to keep the total project in budget will be to lop off a mile or two of track. Unless the overhead wire critics are willing to front the difference, that will probably end the wireless discussion.

OKCTalker
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
And I don't think anyone's feelings about overhead wires should be influenced by this: Car Catches on Trolley Wires and Flips Over (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuhKWtW5Yg)